Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

yuck.

I really have zero tolerance for police or prosecutor misconduct.

But there's a big difference between saying "police should be held accountable" with which I agree and "police are never actually in danger in their jobs and so they should have to keep their guns locked in the console" (which someone actually suggested.)

They were also crying about an incident back in January in another part of the metro area where a cop punched a black lady in the face a couple of times. Thing is she was drunk, completely out of control, and had scratched him in the face. They're mad now because he got exonerated, of course charges against her were dropped too but she's still not happy.

My high school sociology teacher started ranting on time about how it's incredibly racist to talk about "those people from Chicago". Well 15. Years ago there wasn't a heroin problem up here and now there is. I'm not against helping people but excuse me if I'm not wholeheartedly for letting just poo poo all over the rest of the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
That's a tough call because on one hand you have "those people" but on the other your teacher does have a degree in sociology so you probably should listen to what they say about race issues.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yes. He got spared criminal charges but there's no way he's ever working as a cop again.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I've been told that I don't understand how institutional racism works, or the perils of homelessness.

I have a masters in sociology and I worked for a homeless shelter before my current job :wtc:

Cole posted:

You don't have any real life experience though

X your privilege

Street smarts before book smarts nerd.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Is anyone else greatly amused that OPEC is putting the screws to Russia by not cutting production?

Getting a serious bear and the dragon vibe off the whole thing.

It helps that China imports a poo poo load of oil from OPEC and in turn exports tons and tons of poo poo to them. IIRC they export more stuff to the Middle East than anywhere else on the planet. They got a good thing going and it's not like the Russians have done a loving thing for them in the region in the past 20 years. Them loving over Russia is just a happy coincidence imho

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Current events: the Houthis are not loving around.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Current event: people driving like little old ladies from Florida in the snow and still can't manage to make a turn at 5 mph without sliding.

e: There's only a few inches of snow at most, and there's no ice on the road.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ActusRhesus posted:

yuck.

I really have zero tolerance for police or prosecutor misconduct.

But there's a big difference between saying "police should be held accountable" with which I agree and "police are never actually in danger in their jobs and so they should have to keep their guns locked in the console" (which someone actually suggested.)

Pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely, as I'm not a cop nor a prosecutor), and maybe it's just cause I grew up in a different jurisdiction, but isn't it pretty much SOP that anytime someone is shot and killed by on-duty cop, a grand jury is summoned (or something of that sort) to ensure it was justified?

Cause I mean, I had to deal with people screaming that Wilson wasn't outright indicted for murder when this all first happened, and explaining to them that there is a process that needs to be followed (and I'll admit, I thought process was pretty loving flawed in this case, as well as how the GJ was handled) before that step is even considered just got me more cries of "YEAH WHAT THE gently caress EVER YOU RACIST COP LOVER" :rolleyes:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 26, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's not really an infantry av. It was previously just one rifle, but I added a second after getting banned or something.

Also, it's not even a rifle, it's a Daisy.

e:

I just want to say that's an amazing slogan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Is anyone else greatly amused that OPEC is putting the screws to Russia by not cutting production?

Feeling some late-80's nostalgia about it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

No offense, I was curious how that specific breed of primate got in my head, though

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want to say that's an amazing slogan.

Take pride. It's a Daisy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely, as I'm not a cop nor a prosecutor), and maybe it's just cause I grew up in a different jurisdiction, but isn't it pretty much SOP that anytime someone is shot and killed by on-duty cop, a grand jury is summoned (or something of that sort) to ensure it was justified?

Cause I mean, I had to deal with people screaming that Wilson wasn't outright indicted for murder when this all first happened, and explaining to them that there is a process that needs to be followed (and I'll admit, I thought process was pretty loving flawed in this case, as well as how the GJ was handled) before that step is even considered just got me more cries of "YEAH WHAT THE gently caress EVER YOU RACIST COP LOVER" :rolleyes:

Only rarely is there any process external to the law enforcement agency to determine whether a shoot was justified.

There is usually an internal process at the law enforcement agency to determine that a shoot was justified.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

joat mon posted:

Only rarely is there any process external to the law enforcement agency to determine whether a shoot was justified.

There is usually an internal process at the law enforcement agency to determine that a shoot was justified.

Ah, that makes sense then. I just recalled a shooting that happened in my hometown a few years back. It was ruled justified, but the DA's office investigated it and convened a GJ and I was told it was the SOP by someone I worked with (who had worked with the State Police at one point but has said questionable things before).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I was talking with a friend who is a cop last night and he made the very rational and obvious point that "you have to gently caress up pretty bad to be in a position to be shot by a cop". Pretty sure that someone said that in D&D and was proven to in fact be the literal reincarnation of Adolf Thurmond. That Adolf Thurmond is me, for I am friends with a law enforcer

Happy Thanksgiving friends may everyone get excessively drunk and slam a fat pig :)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Black people will get harassed by cops no doubt and that sucks but even most black people (at least the few I've spoke to) will tell you that its pretty obvious when you're in a situation that might get you hosed up. And usually you're the person that put you there.

But idk I'm white and this is just what black people tell me.

"The ones who have the biggest problems are the ones who usually have something going on that can get them in trouble."

-an actual black guy

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

You will never convince the groupthink in D&D of this, though. Remember the guy who got shot trying to buy an airsoft gun in Walmart? Those jokers went on and on about his killing, but maybe if you don't want to get shot by the police you shouldn't walk around carrying a gun.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm a big fan of lapel cameras. Not only can you see if a police involved shooting is justified, you can get some sick liveleak footage out of the deal.

Edit: yes, I'm fully aware of the logistics involved

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

And End of Watch was loving badass and had lots of lapel cameras.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Maarek posted:

You will never convince the groupthink in D&D of this, though. Remember the guy who got shot trying to buy an airsoft gun in Walmart? Those jokers went on and on about his killing, but maybe if you don't want to get shot by the police you shouldn't walk around carrying a gun.

That was a legit hosed-up situation. The guy who called 911 was lying his rear end off and saying that the dude was carrying a rifle and pointing it at kids and acting crazy, when security footage just showed him hanging out in an aisle holding an air rifle that he was planning to buy or ask a question about or whatever. So the cops roll in expecting Charles Whitman reborn and shoot the guy dead almost as soon as they see him.

Here's a video synced with the 911 call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMJ2gV_WLo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vasudus posted:

That's actually one of the most entertaining things about the whole scenario. I wonder if it's motivated by the Iranian nuke program or what, though.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was a legit hosed-up situation. The guy who called 911 was lying his rear end off and saying that the dude was carrying a rifle and pointing it at kids and acting crazy, when security footage just showed him hanging out in an aisle holding an air rifle that he was planning to buy or ask a question about or whatever. So the cops roll in expecting Charles Whitman reborn and shoot the guy dead almost as soon as they see him.

Here's a video synced with the 911 call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMJ2gV_WLo

Can the guy that called that in be thrown in prison? Because he should be.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Vasudus posted:

I'm a big fan of lapel cameras. Not only can you see if a police involved shooting is justified, you can get some sick liveleak footage out of the deal.

Edit: yes, I'm fully aware of the logistics involved

I actually thing it would be a good through experiment to lay down all the logistics and legality to explain why its a great flash idea but would take a ton of time and money to implement.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

zombie303 posted:

Can the guy that called that in be thrown in prison? Because he should be.

I'd hope so. Thats some bullshit. Cops just dropped him, no verbal commands or anything. Given what they were being told I get it. Is that SOP though?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd like to see that too, because I don't see how it costs much more than other gear every officer is provided.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BexGu posted:

I actually thing it would be a good through experiment to lay down all the logistics and legality to explain why its a great flash idea but would take a ton of time and money to implement.
A lot of tasers have had cameras in them for years for liability reasons. We might as well put them on guns now so the next time somebody is crying about a cop blowing away their precious innocent baby they can be presented with video of him brandishing a meat cleaver.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Godholio posted:

I'd like to see that too, because I don't see how it costs much more than other gear every officer is provided.

For the web side:

Storage and retention space (How much? What video quality? Black and white or color? How long?)
Indexing and uploading of data after shift (Who does it? Is there additional meta data associated with the video?)
Local server space or remote cloud storage (What is the backup plan? Who is in charge of running it? What is the access protocol?)

That is just off the top of my head. Not even counting the design and UI of the upload and retrieve system.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 26, 2014

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

That's actually one of the most entertaining things about the whole scenario. I wonder if it's motivated by the Iranian nuke program or what, though.

Even if Iran managed to get its enrichment program in full swing would they even be able to develop, test and miniaturize a bomb to a remotely usable size quickly enough to not get deep dicked by the entire Arab world? I mean the goddamn Norks have an atom bomb but it's like 3x bigger than the trinity bomb and a 1/3rd as powerful.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

A lot of tasers have had cameras in them for years for liability reasons. We might as well put them on guns now so the next time somebody is crying about a cop blowing away their precious innocent baby they can be presented with video of him brandishing a meat cleaver.

The fired cop turned state rep/head of cop union in Missouri who started the "I support Darren Wilson" fundraiser actually successfully argued in court that a police camera couldn't be used against the policeman because of the fifth amendment.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Maarek posted:

I am just spitballing here but maybe in this new forum if you want to talk a lot about a subject you should have to post a scan of your degree or documents that certify you know what you're talking about. If you go shooting you mouth off and you don't provide those docs, everyone knows you just have a crippling mental condition or work in retail, like Ron said. Some people would try to fake it, probably, but I'm sure people would be willing to dig in to people's "docs" to make sure.

I don't think you need a degree to have an opinion. For example, I am not an economist but have opinions about the economy. The difference, of course, is when I encounter a real economist who tries to tell me my opinion is based on an incorrect understanding, I listen to what they have to say rather than screaming a bunch of internet social justice warrior buzzwords at them.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Stultus Maximus posted:

The fired cop turned state rep/head of cop union in Missouri who started the "I support Darren Wilson" fundraiser actually successfully argued in court that a police camera couldn't be used against the policeman because of the fifth amendment.

That's just asinine. I think there are some legit issues in Missouri outside of this one case.

Ps. It's also a misstatement of the fifth amendment, as video is not testimonial.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Have the recorders automatically upload their contents when they're placed on a charging station, to a secure location. Have access logs and make the content read-only and non-deletable.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

ActusRhesus posted:

I don't think you need a degree to have an opinion. For example, I am not an economist but have opinions about the economy. The difference, of course, is when I encounter a real economist who tries to tell me my opinion is based on an incorrect understanding, I listen to what they have to say rather than screaming a bunch of internet social justice warrior buzzwords at them.

That's one thing I used to love about SA. Get in a conversation, someone says your wrong and tells you about their experiences/education, then informs you of all kinds of cool poo poo. Three Phase was great for electronics poo poo, and I had a goon give me step by step instructions for making real good omlettes that were fluffy instead of egg pancakes (add milks and whip with a fork), and a really cool thread where someone went on a long informo-post about working for the TSA.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ActusRhesus posted:

That's just asinine. I think there are some legit issues in Missouri outside of this one case.

Ps. It's also a misstatement of the fifth amendment, as video is not testimonial.

My mistake, Roorda just made the public statements supporting the lawyer's arguments.
Because the internet is better than my memory

quote:

There was nothing life or death about the decision Rory Bruce made to pound this cuffed teenager in custody. Yet, he was acquitted by Associate Circuit Court Judge Theresa Counts Burke. Not because she found this conduct acceptable, but because she never watched the video.

"Prosecutors had also tried, but failed, to get the teenager on the stand. First they couldn’t find him, then when they did, he asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

But the video never made it into evidence because the law required prosecutors to authenticate it with someone who had personal knowledge of the events. Bruce refused to testify against himself, on the same constitutional grounds as the teen."

The camera's footage has to be verified by someone at the scene, and that was the subject of the fifth amendment claim.

Which is also asinine.

quote:

Roorda says the judge did right—he told News 4, police videos like these should be used to protect police. "Now, it’s become a “gotcha-head hunter” tool that we’ve seen internal affairs go over-board with."

"Police officers have to make split second decisions in life and death situations and I don't think that folks over at the Circuit Attorney's office or folks up in Internal Affairs should second guess them based on their brief impression of a video tape," says Jeff Roorda with the SLPOA. "It doesn't tell the whole story," he says.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

I agree completely and this is the key element in all this, it's only these social justice warrior people who act this way. That's why their groupthink has such a bad effect on the discourse in that forum. For example, if you posted about black ladies and "those people" in D&D people would immediately call you a racist and don't even get me started on what they'd say when you point out that most of the time black people put themselves in positions to get hurt. Here in this thread you're free to express your ideas and if people don't like them, they're free to logically argue with you about them without any social justice warrior nonsense.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Have the recorders automatically upload their contents when they're placed on a charging station, to a secure location. Have access logs and make the content read-only and non-deletable.

What you've outlined sounds simple. However the care and feeding of that system is not. Thats the part of IT that most people don't understand. Who is going to regularly review the logs? Maintenance contracts on the storage? Network infrastructure? Plan, design, implement it? Cloud storage? If so security policies? Backup/disaster recovery plan? What needs to be done to make sure the footage is admissible if required? Indexing system/meta data? Who adds the info? How do they add it? How is it verified? Who writes that standard? COTS or custom development?

I'm not being a dick. Things like this aren't as simple as saying make it so (unless a butt load of funding comes with the command). Oh and people that actually know what the hell they are doing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Tremblay posted:

What you've outlined sounds simple. However the care and feeding of that system is not. Thats the part of IT that most people don't understand. Who is going to regularly review the logs? Maintenance contracts on the storage? Network infrastructure? Plan, design, implement it? Cloud storage? If so security policies? Backup/disaster recovery plan? What needs to be done to make sure the footage is admissible if required? Indexing system/meta data? Who adds the info? How do they add it? How is it verified? Who writes that standard? COTS or custom development?

I'm not being a dick. Things like this aren't as simple as saying make it so (unless a butt load of funding comes with the command). Oh and people that actually know what the hell they are doing. There is a reason IT consulting is big business...

It sounds simple because I'm talking broad strokes, not fine details like who is going to janitor the infrastructure. You don't need to get into the minutiae because we aren't responding to an RFP, we're nerds on the Internet.

Only person that should have access are the evidence officer and the DA, probably.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Vasudus posted:

It sounds simple because I'm talking broad strokes, not fine details like who is going to janitor the infrastructure. You don't need to get into the minutiae because we aren't responding to an RFP, we're nerds on the Internet.

Only person that should have access are the evidence officer and the DA, probably.

Sure, my point was that the general assumptions about IT don't often line up with reality. Not really meant as a rebuttal to your post. Just amplifying info.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ActusRhesus posted:

The flaw in your reasoning is that internet SJW buzzwords come directly from college social science and philosophy courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Stultus Maximus posted:

The flaw in your reasoning is that internet SJW buzzwords come directly from college social science and philosophy courses.

And then get latched on to like a fad and destroyed in much the same fashion.

All of those buzzwords lost credibility when used by the common crowd that uses them.

E: if I take a semester of algebra and then trig but that doesn't mean I'm an absolute math genius. I can probably use words like algorithm and theorem correctly, but that doesn't give me any real credibility to use those words.

Apply that to SJW buzzwords and social science classes.

• Locked thread