Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Matrix posted:

Hannibal: Terror of Rome 19,99 19,99 0,0%

Well at least (most) of their discounts are now reasonable - the previous sales never had a discount over 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there anything that would be considered a "must have" in the list?

Or would CTGW be better than any of that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell yeah, been wanting that new Close Combat for a while now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Why the gently caress do they even sell the version of WitP that isn't Admiral's Edition?

Edit: World in Flames is now $69, some goon get it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
WITP is like a simpler WITPAE.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baloogan posted:

WITP is like a simpler WITPAE.

Which is better, WitP or WitE?

Will WitP run on Windows 8?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
If you like naval and air combat, get WitP. If you like traditional operational-level army chit-and-hex stuff, get WitE.

WitP runs fine on Windows 8.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

WitP is probably my favorite grognard game. But I like boats and planes. Land combat is pretty awful in WitP.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Are there any good grognard-lite games on that list of sales? Something along the lines of Panzer Corps, Commander: The Great War, or Unity of Command.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Philthy posted:

Hell yeah, been wanting that new Close Combat for a while now.

I don't think that ones on sale

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It doesn't look like it...

Meanwhile, I'm going to look for Command on Steam's sale tomorrow. The fact that Flashpoint is the same price at both locations now make me think that maybe I can buy it officially on Steam instead of using Matrix's store. I don't know why, but I like that idea far better. I guess that's just how much bile Matrix has earned from their lovely system(s).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Meanwhile, I'm going to look for Command on Steam's sale tomorrow. The fact that Flashpoint is the same price at both locations now make me think that maybe I can buy it officially on Steam instead of using Matrix's store. I don't know why, but I like that idea far better. I guess that's just how much bile Matrix has earned from their lovely system(s).

I'm that way about some of the John Tiller games. Been looking at Danube Front, but I figure since Tiller seems to be pretty forward-thinking about new technology and actual sane pricing plans (releasing pretty good iOS/Android ports his Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns that are reasonably-priced), I feel like Steam is going to be inevitable for him too. Will wait until that day comes before I plop down some money on his stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Battlefront and John Tiller jumping to Steam would be some sort of milestone in grognard gaming.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also the day to buy a lottery ticket.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wait, what? Slytherine is doing a WH40k grognard game? That's gonna be... awful.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312370/

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tomn posted:

Are there any good grognard-lite games on that list of sales? Something along the lines of Panzer Corps, Commander: The Great War, or Unity of Command.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/388/details/Hannibal:.Rome.and.Carthage.in.the.Second.Punic.War

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Wait, what? Slytherine is doing a WH40k grognard game? That's gonna be... awful.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312370/

Just as Panzer Corps is a reskinned Panzer General, that Warhammer 40k game is just a reskin of Warhammer Rites of War, which was based off of the Panzer General 2 engine

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Drone posted:

Been looking at Danube Front

Have you played any other Tiller Operational Campaign games? I've spent dozens of hours in NGP and DF but never touched any of the Panzer Campaign games so I wouldn't know how to compare it to the 'main' series.

Is it the setting that piques your interest in particular? It's unfortunate how few games have taken a crack at operational level Cold War gone Hot scenarios.

e: haha I felt I'd been having this conversation with someone else earlier in this thread and turns out it was with you, a couple of months ago :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Koesj posted:

Have you played any other Tiller Operational Campaign games? I've spent dozens of hours in NGP and DF but never touched any of the Panzer Campaign games so I wouldn't know how to compare it to the 'main' series.

Is it the setting that piques your interest in particular? It's unfortunate how few games have taken a crack at operational level Cold War gone Hot scenarios.

Nope, the only other Tiller game I've played is the Android port of Panzer Campaigns. But yeah, it's the setting that I like the most, and the massive scale. WinSPMBT is also really great for Cold War Gone Hot stuff, but it's a different type of game altogether.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Tomn posted:

Battle Academy, close combat, conflict of heroes, scourge of war.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

V for Vegas posted:

Well at least (most) of their discounts are now reasonable - the previous sales never had a discount over 20%.

The warhammer game features similar discounts!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/540/details/Warhammer.40,000:.Armageddon

quote:

Sale!
Download Edition
SEK 236.99+tax
SEK 236.99+tax
Boxed Edition
(+ free download)
SEK 354.99+tax
SEK 354.99+tax

E: Both Warhammer and Flashpoint are a good 10 euro cheaper on Steam. Matrix really wants me to avoid their store :shrug:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 26, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
No sale on Qvadriga. :smith:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
War Plane Orange is :10bux: - yea or nay? (I already own, but haven't installed :v: WITPAE.) I'm interested in the time-period and hardware, however.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
If someone doesn't have Command Ops yet, then Conquest of the Aegean for :10bux: is a pretty good deal. It's a slightly older version of the engine but there's nothing radically worse, and the scenarios are better than those in Bulge, imo.

Edit: disregard that, they are not actually selling that game anymore despite listing it in the pdf. Good job Matrix.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Someone's planning to buy the Wh40k: Armageddon game? I liked Final Liberation and this seems pretty similar.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Morholt posted:

I'd be up for a 1914 game, as either side.

Ill make a Beta game, same name as here. Password LLJK.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
CTGW and Flashpoint: RS purchased... wooo I can't wait to get into these.

edit -- UGH I BOUGHT F:RS 2 hours ago for $29 on Steam, and then I just checked now and it's $9 on Steam. UGH.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 26, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I've been waiting for Flashpoint Campaigns to go on mega-sale on Steam, and it's $10 right now, so snap it up if you've been waiting (unless you think it'll be even further discounted during the Steam Winter Sale).

Interestingly, I started reading the manual, and was surprised to see this snippet:

FC:RS Manual posted:

"2.8 GENDER PRONOUNS
We are happy that our game enjoys both male and female fans and players. We try to keep language in the game and manual gender neutral when possible, but sometimes use the pronoun “he” to refer to the player. This is merely to streamline the writing, and is not meant to exclude anyone."

Kind of refreshingly surprising for this to even be addressed by such a grognard game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh please, "he" is what you are supposed to use.

Anyway, Slitherine is streaming Wh40k: Armageddon right now http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

UoC complete is $7 and FC:RS for $10 both make for a great entrance to grognard games, if there are any newbies out there who are on the fence.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
On that note, Commander The Great War is -34% and the brand new Wh40k Arma -25%.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Riso posted:

On that note, Commander The Great War is -34% and the brand new Wh40k Arma -25%.

Is Armageddon actually out or just on pre-order?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Yeah, came out today

COOL CORN posted:

CTGW and Flashpoint: RS purchased... wooo I can't wait to get into these.

edit -- UGH I BOUGHT F:RS 2 hours ago for $29 on Steam, and then I just checked now and it's $9 on Steam. UGH.

I wonder if that's a mistake? It's 80% off on Steam now, but they already had it on 40% off this week and it it now 40% off on their own site - did they double up the discount? Seems weird they'd have it on sale for several days then put it on a larger sale, that just screws people who bought it at 40% off.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 26, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So is Armageddon at least decent? Anyone bought it yet?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ Yeah, came out today

I wonder if that's a mistake? It's 80% off on Steam now, but they already had it on 40% off this week and it it now 40% off on their own site - did they double up the discount? Seems weird they'd have it on sale for several days then put it on a larger sale, that just screws people who bought it at 40% off.

Welp, I pulled the Steam trigger, so we'll see if they try to walk it back or something.

War Plan Orange I can pick up a little later, Matrix's sale is through 11 Jan.

Edit: Argh, maybe I can skip WPO - I was confusing it with the Avalanche Press non-computer Great War At Sea series...

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 26, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

War Plane Orange is :10bux: - yea or nay? (I already own, but haven't installed :v: WITPAE.) I'm interested in the time-period and hardware, however.

The problem with WPO is that it's based on the WitP engine not the WitPAE one. After you've played with the later upgrades it's a slog to go back. But if you haven't played AE and you like alt history dreadnoughts, definitely get it for $10.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ Yeah, came out today

I don't know, but I'm kinda iffy on if I want this, so I hope it's still there at $9 when I get home in an hour or so. `Cause I'll definitely grab it at 80% off.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

I don't know, but I'm kinda iffy on if I want this, so I hope it's still there at $9 when I get home in an hour or so. `Cause I'll definitely grab it at 80% off.

In case it's a mistake, I have an extra copy in my inventory I can toss your way for €9,19 which is the euro price.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StashAugustine posted:

So is Armageddon at least decent? Anyone bought it yet?

There are at least 10 different Leman Russ variants. Take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hah wow the beta of C:TGW is pretty crazy. I just had a peek at the starting OOB's.

Britan has four Dreadnought units and two Pre-Dreadnouts. France has 2 or 3 P-DN and 1 DN.
Germany has Two DN and a P-DN, all level 3. Austra has a DN and a P-DN.
Austria and Germany both have much larger starting armies, maybe 50% bigger mostly concentrated on the Eastern front.

France has 1200MP, UK 600, Belgium 170 and Serbia 300.
Austria has 1600MP, Germany 1900.

The removal of free upkeep is huge. Every city has at least two PP, many have a lot more. Serbia especially is screwed as Belgrade represents like 40% of their PP and a few attacks will leave it a ruin.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 26, 2014