Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was in a DW campaign that was basically 'You are probably going to win your fights, but you'd better pick them loving carefully' because we were only a 3 Marine team and we were literally the only Marines on planet in a Hive World with one of its Hives overrun by local rebels and their Tau backers and the others active warzones. We had to manage propaganda, deal with the other Imperial commanders, Arbites, etc, with almost all our support structure missing, the Xenos Inquisitor who was supposed to be handing down our orders missing, and mostly only the gear we arrived with and standard stuff like rockets and bolt ammo.

We spent as much time agonizing about where to fight and slowly getting ourselves hosed up worse and worse as we spent Fate to heal because we couldn't spend the time to actually rest as we did actually wrecking faces and it was probably the best 40k game I've ever played in. Deathwatch can do non-combat stuff and the stress of war very well, you just need to highlight the actual vulnerabilities of Marines and the remaining shreds and reflections of humanity they have.

Sgt. Martinez was an extremely average (Like, almost all my stat rolls were 10-11) Marine of his Chapter gripped with a sense of his own inadequacy to stop the slaughter around him as we trudged through burning groundcars and dead civilians and Guardsmen to yet another grinding engagement, armor melting off our bodies and covered in bullet holes and injuries. Being the saddest goddamn Space Marine was awesome fun. I really want that campaign to come back (And the guy running it has said he'd like to go back to it some time) as we'd just discovered Genestealers involved in the rebellion and were going to have to stop the traumatized Navy commander from lancing Hives because she was flipping out, having fought Nids once before and being in an absolute panic. Hell, we were even considering trying to get a ceasefire with the Tau to save the planet from nids, first, then return to fighting them.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

That sounds incredible, and a great illustration of the fact that even space marines live and die on their supply chain's adequacy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We also still did all kinds of amazing poo poo. Like the time our Assault Marine rocket boosted the Techmarine onto a Devilfish and he just Servo-Armed his way inside of it and goo came flying out as he jacked it. We were mag-booted to the top of a speeding Rhino at the moment. During the same chase, I killed a Leman Russ with a frag grenade because I got a 01 and managed to get it directly into the commander cupola since she was unbuttoned at the moment and it cooked off the ammo.

We also did a mid-air boarding of an Orca from a Valk for our insertion/entry.

Oh, right, and we also accidentally got Ciaphus Cain into deep poo poo again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I legitimately hope that FFG can stomach dealing with GW's grinding review policies enough to do a Deathwatch 2.0. I really want to like it but I just can't get over how clunky and fiddly it is in so many places compared to the later games of the line (which have their own problems admittedly but still).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

I legitimately hope that FFG can stomach dealing with GW's grinding review policies enough to do a Deathwatch 2.0. I really want to like it but I just can't get over how clunky and fiddly it is in so many places compared to the later games of the line (which have their own problems admittedly but still).

Our GM eventually just told us to ignore Squad Mode entirely. It is a good idea, mechanically, to reinforce one of the basic themes (that alone you're a badass and together you're heroes) but holy poo poo is it the clunkiest set of rules I have ever read.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not just squad mode although yeah, that's one of the number one things I would love to see renovated...ranks, XP costs for advances in the quad-digits, the old skill list where things like "Concealment" and "Silent Move" are separate skills instead of just "Stealth," etc. Somebody recently pitched a PbP over in The Game Room and I've only ever had a few abortive attempts at actually playing Deathwatch so I was tempted...then I got to character creation and was just like "pffffffff never mind."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just chiming in that I really enjoyed some of Dembski-Bowdens stuff, too. I've only read The First Heretic by him (I think), but it's really good.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Emperor's Gift by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. It's a book.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Deathwatch chargen is the dumbest thing. Here have a billion different tables that tell you what skills and talents you can have! Have some of them contain the same things at different prices so you BETTER PAY ATTENTION. Have detailed descriptions of the special things about your marine, apart from the ones you don't have because you rolled badly on this table. Roll 5 times to decide what kind of power armour you have, everyone else is and you don't want to end up gimped compared to them...

Whole loving thing needs streamlining.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, definitely, I'm kind of dreading running or joining games just because character creation is so difficult for me.
It's also why I like Ogryns, because at least it's just straight up hit mans and not nearly as much to look up as the other ones.

To try and strike a balance between Methwatch and Woad Warriors, smugglers might be a good occupation, gives the players a reason to be zipping around everywhere, between hives and through wastelands, switch between leisure suits and body paint as desired.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh hey, here's the kicker; there's feral Tyranids and Orkz roaming the wastelands between the hives.

"...which is why our Tauroses are painted red and have Scything Talons." :haw:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Everyone I know is an adult with a career who doesn't necessarily like fiddling with obscure character creation options, which makes this whole drat line a pain to run.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

frajaq posted:

What..what did your assassin fight to get 10 corruption points so fast?

He was wearing daemonic armor that gave 1d5 insanity/corruption when he frenzied. Afterwards, praised Khorne for another 1d5 corruption. I rolled a 5 both times.

The dude he was fighting was a Khornate cult leader.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shadow Isaac posted:

He was wearing daemonic armor that gave 1d5 insanity/corruption when he frenzied. Afterwards, praised Khorne for another 1d5 corruption. I rolled a 5 both times.

The dude he was fighting was a Khornate cult leader.

Why did you do either of these things? Did you forget you weren't in Black Crusade, or were you just going for irony?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Night10194 posted:

Why did you do either of these things? Did you forget you weren't in Black Crusade, or were you just going for irony?

He wanted to see how quickly he could get the rest of the inquisitional squad to kill him for being a chaos worshipper

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Night10194 posted:

The armor is loot from the book we're running right now. The Khorne praise was because his backstory involves him hearing voices and one of the voices said some Khornate poo poo to him. The party is working under a radical inquisitor that hasn't made contact with them since their current operation started.

I can't explain stuff too much right now because I know that some of my players are lurking this thread and I don't want stuff spoiled too much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kind of similar, I suppose, to how Taar the Feral Repentia has actually not really even noticed she's a Sister Repentia in the Sister story I'm running. She has like a 20 Int and was literally rescued from Feral Khorne Worshippers as a child; she assumes the other Sisters gave her the eviscerator because she's a 6' 6" giantess who can break most people in half with her bare hands. If the Emperor says she should run forward with just a sword and ceremonial carapace and cut up demons and heretics, than that's how it be.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
Also, as I mentioned earlier, the personalities of my DH group have turned it into something more closely resembling Paranoia in space at time, so I like to give them rope to hang themselves with, and the assassin's backstory is perfect for a Sin Eater, which is something I've been wanting to work with since I first read the Radical's Handbook.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Sisters I ended up with are pretty weird. A pair of Feral giants, one from a failed colony world who is really more of Space Appalachian than Conan as their Retributor and the aforementioned Repentia, two shady hobo Hivers from lower hive sections rescued by missionaries as their Dominion and Seraphim, and a twitchy Voidborn Sister who was rescued from a Space Hulk. They were basically all plucked from terrible backgrounds in their youth and taken to Schola/training. They are a squad made up of the stones the builder rejected.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
I like poo poo not going to plan. In the RT campaign I'm playing an RT in I just charmed the explorator into picking up an abandoned probe from the Age of Strife and it promptly took over the ship, warp jumped us to a shrine world, started an orbital bombardment, blew up a Navy cruiser, and we're currently fighting the Iron Men the probe has spawned to protect itself while we try to deactivate/destroy it. In all fairness, my character's successful evaluate roll told me it was really valuable and the Explorator's failed scholastic lore (archaeotech) roll failed so hard that he thought it was a hot tub.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
To go back to the dunebuggy regiment from earlier
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#ixzz3JqbQ9XAX

Yes, yes, I know, Dailymail, but apparently going around doing literal driveby shootings is a legit regiment build

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 26, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, it was a thing the SAS did in WWII, and 40K is WWII in space, though I was thinking of the Toyota War.

So, a this would be a Rapid Reconnaissance regiment, with a toss-up between Combat Drugs, Electro-Vox Warfare, and Demolitionists. Probably take Mistrusted, because double DoF on failed Commerce and Requisition is a license for fun.
I think Penal Colony homeworld is still probably the most fitting, although Ogryn homeworld Rapid Reconnaissance regiment is a close second.

Also, don't drink and drive, shoot up on drugs while driving; Slaught, and maybe Frenzon, makes you a better driver...for a while.

Actually, I that gives me an idea for a leash, since there's no one holding the triggers to the bomb collars; the Regiment is full of addicts and high command drops off a fix every now and again, supplies contingent on accomplishing objectives and meeting benchmarks. Maybe it's something that mitigates the side effects of Slaught/Frenzon/Stimm abuse or reduces cravings, like space Methadone. Or it's Ketracel White, artificial enzymes to keep your liver from exploding.
And the promised reward at the end of the mission is rehab:unsmith: Or more drugs :unsmigghh:

Huh. This sounds like a Savlar Chem Dogs Regiment.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Shadow Isaac posted:

I like poo poo not going to plan. In the RT campaign I'm playing an RT in I just charmed the explorator into picking up an abandoned probe from the Age of Strife and it promptly took over the ship, warp jumped us to a shrine world, started an orbital bombardment, blew up a Navy cruiser, and we're currently fighting the Iron Men the probe has spawned to protect itself while we try to deactivate/destroy it. In all fairness, my character's successful evaluate roll told me it was really valuable and the Explorator's failed scholastic lore (archaeotech) roll failed so hard that he thought it was a hot tub.

I ran a game where the severed head of an old Iron Man had been linked to a ship's cogitator and taken it over, but since in the grimdark future things like maneuvering jets are operated by chain gangs instead of the automatic controls it was used to it crashed the ship into an asteroid.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
So after a 15 minute debate last session about how power fists and klaws were insanely overpowered compared to every other melee weapon in Rogue Trader, my group and I sat down and brainstormed out some alternate rules that keep from encouraging players to stack them with vat muscles and mutations for unnatural strength x3-x4 leading to power fist wielders dealing 20+ more damage per round than every other melee combatant in the game and one-shotting everything short of a daemon prince or Avatar of Khaine like our last campaign. First order of business was to completely remove unnatural strength modifiers, then buff damage slightly so that they were on par with an Omnissian Axe. Here's what we ended up with:

Power Fist at 2d10+4 pen 10 E, power field, unwieldly, 13 kg + 25 kg backpack unless you're wearing power armor.

Power Klaw at 4d10d2 pen 10 E, power field, tearing (x2), unwieldly, 17 kg, -30 to all fine motor tests if dual-wielded.

Here's the math one guy did: http://anydice.com/program/4cb0 which shows that while the power fist has a fractional increase in average damage, the Power Klaw is more weighted towards high damage/critical wounds on average.

Shadow Isaac fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 27, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Your post makes no sense and your avatar is weird and lovely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Power fists are ridiculously powerful, yes, with the whole x2 SB thing. But then, 40kRP is basically Rocket Tag: The Game the second you get out of the flak and lasgun phase.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
If Power Fists weren't overpowered, how could you crush the skull of a Master Sorcerer in your power-fisted grip? This is important.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Night10194 posted:

Power fists are ridiculously powerful, yes, with the whole x2 SB thing. But then, 40kRP is basically Rocket Tag: The Game the second you get out of the flak and lasgun phase.

What amuses me the most is people running around with chainfists, which are specifically a mounted weapon and only usable on terminator armor.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, it just reached the point where we had 2 guys punching chaos marines to death with a single blow by endgame last campaign, while everybody who didn't kit themselves out with vat muscles, power fists and unnatural strength mutations just ended up feeling like dead weight in the combat compared to them. I feel like it's important to make everybody feel like they have some kind of role they can play in combat, not just filler in the initiative count while the power fist wielders wait their turn to charge everything on the map.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shadow Isaac posted:

Yeah, it just reached the point where we had 2 guys punching chaos marines to death with a single blow by endgame last campaign, while everybody who didn't kit themselves out with vat muscles, power fists and unnatural strength mutations just ended up feeling like dead weight in the combat compared to them. I feel like it's important to make everybody feel like they have some kind of role they can play in combat, not just filler in the initiative count while the power fist wielders wait their turn to charge everything on the map.

Well, obviously. It's the whole 'The Arch Militant is about as bad as the 3e Fighter' problem. I misunderstood that being the problem and thought your objection was more to 'if you don't dodge you die' being how high level combat goes in general.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
The other problem last campaign was that our navigator and astropath both dropped out, so all we had were archmilitants, rogue traders, a seneschal and a kabalite.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why would you want a PC Navigator, anyway? The Navigator in the last RT game I played ended up begging us to switch campaigns because she found the class so insanely boring. It's just 'roll some dice to do a thing that's kinda important for random encounters sorta' and then a crappy cutrate psyker.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
I played a Navigator in my first campaign and had an absolute blast with it, personally. My character had a long running feud with our chaos-worshipping astropath, was the only person aware of the growing chaos taint on the ship, invaluable in exploring xenos ruins, and one time ended a boss encounter in a single round when I lidless stared 6 eldar farseers to death at once.

There's a tremendous amount of flexibility to what you can actually do with them, at least in my experience.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Night10194 posted:

Why would you want a PC Navigator, anyway? The Navigator in the last RT game I played ended up begging us to switch campaigns because she found the class so insanely boring. It's just 'roll some dice to do a thing that's kinda important for random encounters sorta' and then a crappy cutrate psyker.

I've asked the same question. I also wish that RT's psyker class was just a sanction psyker vs the astropath which I just can't stop thinking of as some sort of glorified phone sanitizer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Their powers are also very Dune-esque, with the stuff that lets you skip sideways in time as if you had made a different choice a few seconds earlier and such.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
If you can't figure out interesting things to do with a navigator I feel like it's either a failure of imagination on the GM's part for providing opportunities for a Navigator to shine, or on the player's part for not figuring out interesting ways to utilize the toolbox available to you. I can understand in some ways that it's a little restrictive at lower ranks, but once you start to branch out and find different ways to choose and apply the powers and abilities at your disposal the only limitation to how you can build the class is your own imagination.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Everyone I know is an adult with a career who doesn't necessarily like fiddling with obscure character creation options, which makes this whole drat line a pain to run.

Just get them to play the Star Wars FFG games. I've been put off for the same reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tias posted:

Just chiming in that I really enjoyed some of Dembski-Bowdens stuff, too. I've only read The First Heretic by him (I think), but it's really good.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The Emperor's Gift is one of the very best 40k novels.

Rockopolis posted:

Well, it was a thing the SAS did in WWII, and 40K is WWII in space, though I was thinking of the Toyota War.

And sometimes it's WW1. Sometimes it's the Napoleonic Wars. From it's deepest origin it's the Crimean War. Or it's any war you want to tell a story based on. But yeah, WW2 is a good - and common - default for 40K.

Hodgepodge posted:

This is why I keep piping up with recommendations for the Apocalypse World hacks. 15 minute character creation, sweet narrative style, and a "play to find out what happens" admonition to the GM makes for a good game for busy adults. There's a finished Rogue Trader hack (that's had two PBPs die an ugly and premature death) that's really good. I have a Deathwatch hack and a Commissar based hack almost done, needing the combat rules from The Regiment ported in. The Regiment in its most recent release is also the best Colonial Marines RPG around.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Night10194 posted:

It has worked fine for us, actually. The Navigator is not only part of the crew, but also a scion of one of the most powerful and byzantine organizations in the Imperium. They can get into places (such as an audience with other navigators who are too gimped out and/or insane to talk to regular crewmen) and do things (psych-flame enemies and see into the warp? Hell yes!) others cannot.

Integrating the navigator takes a competent GM, but then again, so does everything else.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Tias posted:

Integrating the navigator takes a competent GM, but then again, so does everything else.

Yeah, you need a good GM and a player that's incredibly confident in their RP abilities to make a Navigator PC satisfying, but when it works it really works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of it was just that our group has never really enjoyed Rogue Trader. Strangely, the guys I play with do the Rogue Trader stuff (self-motivation and ambitious scheming) much better when playing BC.