Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ratpick posted:

A 6 on a conflicted icon relationship roll means a chance encounter with the forces of a conflicted icon or a location of power related to that icon. However, because of the conflicted nature of the icon relationship, the situation is potentially volatile and unless handled properly can lead to a conflict. Regardless, there is a potential benefit to be garnered here if the PCs play their cards right.

A 6 on a hostile icon relationship roll means an encounter with agents of that icon, and they're itching for a fight. However, because the roll was a 6 the PCs have some edge in the fight: either give them some benefit like starting the escalation die at 1 during the first round or introduce an environmental feature that the PCs can leverage for a +2 bonus.
Uhh that goes against the book because a 6 is always a positive result. For hostile relationships you are dealing with and receiving aid from enemies of that icon, not the icon itself.

I don't see why you would punish a character like this.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Jackard posted:

Uhh that goes against the book because a 6 is always a positive result. For hostile relationships you are dealing with and receiving aid from enemies of that icon, not the icon itself.

I don't see why you would punish a character like this.

You're absolutely right, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that poo poo. I'll have to rework the conflicted and hostile relationship rolls, and for that I can use the positive relationship rolls as guidance: 6 is always a good thing, 5 is a good thing with strings, like a side-quest elsewhere in the dungeon. Thanks for catching my flub, even though it should've been plain to see that it was bullshit to begin with.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I think you could tie optional encounters to fives if they had an appropriate reward, like picking something from a matching icon in the Book of Loot or some themed advantage that comes into play later on like a temporary background.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

I think you could tie optional encounters to fives if they had an appropriate reward, like picking something from a matching icon in the Book of Loot or some themed advantage that comes into play later on like a temporary background.

Yeah, the way I'm reworking it now is that all the rooms should have something in them, even if it's just a combat encounter the GM pulls out of their rear end, but fives and sixes on icon rolls always translate to something good, with fives meaning there's either a catch or a complication attached to it.

That said, I'm currently more interested in fleshing out How to Raise Your Dungeon, because I just think it's a fun idea. Still need to flesh that one out more too.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Here's the final version of the character sheet. Fixed a few weird spacing issues, changed font, and whatever else. Hopefully someone other than me likes it :unsmith:

Link

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Myrmidongs posted:

Here's the final version of the character sheet. Fixed a few weird spacing issues, changed font, and whatever else. Hopefully someone other than me likes it :unsmith:

Link

I do like it. Well done, and thanks for the effort.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Question on the Lurker class, for those of you who have played one.

The signature feature of Death Mark takes a standard action, and gives the target vulnerability. This means you're giving up an attack for a 10% chance of double damage, so it would take ~10 rounds of combat to make up for using it once. It seems like that's pretty underpowered, particularly given that you have to use your quick action every round to maintain it. The feats make it a bit better, adding your CHA to damage and at Champion increasing the vulnerability by 4, but that would still mean it takes 4-5 rounds to make up for the damage lost from that one attack. Is it intended to only be an ability that comes into play if you ambush the enemy and have a round to set up? How did this power work out in play?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Death's Mark has been updated since the most recent draft. It's a free action when you roll initiative now.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
That makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I just had an idea for an obnoxious glass cannon class tentatively named the "bravo". Low-ish defenses/HP (probably on par with the rogue) but a class feature that reduces the damage of an incoming attack by your standard weapon damage as an interrupt. Combine with quick action powers to manage enemy aggro and escape from large swarms of enemies (which are especially dangerous when your main defensive feature is 1/round), and you've just modeled an aggravating warrior that's good at getting in over their head, then slipping through the bad guys' fingers.

According to Ryven's monster toolkit, standard enemy strike damage outpaces the average roll on a level appropriate number of d8s, but adding a +3 or +4 ability mod, multiplied at champion/epic, pretty much balances it out. And you still have to watch for status effects. Question for the theead: Is the math on this concept solid enough to hold up an entire class?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I was reading the Bestiary once again and stumbled upon the bit in the Lich entry about some liches using living people as their phylacteries, and now I just want to play a Sorcerer who is descended from a person the Lich King turned into a phylactery a long time ago and who has actually inherited the original person's phylactery status.

Speaking of which, what's the coolest OUT you've seen in your games?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Ratpick posted:

I was reading the Bestiary once again and stumbled upon the bit in the Lich entry about some liches using living people as their phylacteries, and now I just want to play a Sorcerer who is descended from a person the Lich King turned into a phylactery a long time ago and who has actually inherited the original person's phylactery status.

Autistic Wood Elf trying to build a wooden spaceship.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ratpick posted:

Coolest may not be the word, but "literally Michael Cera."

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

Ratpick posted:

what's the coolest OUT

Probably a tossup between 'My family's firstborn son is cursed to serve the Lich King every other generation and I am that son' and 'I am an artificial race created by the Archmage'.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ratpick posted:

I think it's my friend's "I may look like a man with a very tiny head but I'm actually a halfling using the most sophisticated, man-like exoskeleton ever created."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Maybe "Town Guardsman on the Edge who didn't bring his badge".

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

"Someone tried to resurrect a famous wizard who had recently died. The accidentally pulled me back instead."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Player 1, an elven cleric: "I died but I came back from the dead and I don't know what brought me back."

Player 2, while Player 1 was dead, went off to go find a way to bring him back, which resulted in him becoming a necromancer and developing the OUT "Late-Onset Skeletoritis."

NPC 3 was their brother who wasn't as lucky as Player 1 and came back as Player 2's skeletal minion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"My staff actually contains the pocket realm of Staffonia, where my followers' souls go when they die."

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

"Literally just a skeleton"

I finally got a player to play my character idea. He's just a skeleton. Not an animated skeleton, a literal dead skeleton. He just seems to do things. You blink and suddenly he's just arrived in the general store. Look away to swing your sword at the enemy and when you look back he's cast his spell for the turn. You think you hear a voice in your head arguing with you about how to treat the elves, but when you look to see who's speaking, that goddamn skeleton that seems to be following you around is arranged in a sarcastic pose, but is still an inanimate pile o bones

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
"I've killed a God and stolen his weapon." The player was, of course, a Cleric.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Characters has a "living tattoo containing the secret of who murdered her mentor".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

Characters has a "living tattoo containing the secret of who murdered her mentor".
Reminds me of Titan AE or Memento

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Very early, everything-subject-to-change draft of the Battlemind

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I did a writeup on using Fate dice for skill checks.

Check it out here

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Ratpick posted:

I have a player who's basically running Buzz Lightyear as Optimus Prime; he's a forgeborn paladin who's actually a toy belonging to a very young god. All the over the top, vaguely Warhammer-like battles against the Berzerker robots that he remembers are scenarios the god acted out with his toys, which is why all of them sound ridiculous. Unfortunately the toys were lost on a trip to the Dragon Empire and now a bunch of sentient war machines are running around saying Furmanisms and battling each other.

outside of my group I think somebody in this thread had a gnome whose OUT was a disguised redcap and the bad word was 'level 10', which I think might be the best thing ever

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Solomonic posted:

I have a player who's basically running Buzz Lightyear as Optimus Prime; he's a forgeborn paladin who's actually a toy belonging to a very young god. All the over the top, vaguely Warhammer-like battles against the Berzerker robots that he remembers are scenarios the god acted out with his toys, which is why all of them sound ridiculous. Unfortunately the toys were lost on a trip to the Dragon Empire and now a bunch of sentient war machines are running around saying Furmanisms and battling each other.

I got to say that I love that character concept. You got a cool player.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Still haven't received my KS backer copy of 13 True Ways — I'm aware copies for overseas backers were supposed to be shipped mid-september, so I'm starting to think I'll never receive it. :(

Who should I email to get it sorted out?

Thanks.

EDIT: found the information I needed.

Nancy_Noxious fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 28, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Eyes of the Stone Thief is up for pre-order for $50. 360 page hardcover (the core book is 325 pages), and you get the PDF right away.

quote:

Can you kill the dungeon before it kills you?

In 13th Age, living dungeons slither up through the underworld and invade the surface lands. The Stone Thief is the most ancient and cunning of its kind; a vast monster that preys on the cities and structures you love, swallows them, and remakes them into more deathtrap-filled levels inside itself. Now, it’s hunting YOU.

For players:
Embark on a saga of madness, revenge and giant monsters
Aid or thwart the schemes of the Icons as they battle for control of the dungeon
Slay, loot and survive deep in the bowels of the earth
Destroy this age-old threat forever

For GMs:
A monstrous campaign covering the entire Champion tier (4th to 8th level)
Thirteen levels of peril from the dungeon’s opening Maw to the orc hordes of the Deep Keep, the terrors of the Pit of Undigested Ages, and the nightmare city beyond the Onyx Catacombs
New monsters, new treasures, new traps, and new factions for your 13th Age campaign

The Stone Thief rises. Enter it, find its secrets and defeat it – or die trying.

I wish I didn't just have to buy a new power supply or I'd grab this now.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Eyes of the Stone Thief is up for pre-order for $50. 360 page hardcover (the core book is 325 pages), and you get the PDF right away.

I wish I didn't just have to buy a new power supply or I'd grab this now.

Christmas came early. :allears:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Isn't this the immediate aftermath of the Free RPG Day adventure?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Lord Frisk posted:

Isn't this the immediate aftermath of the Free RPG Day adventure?

Yes, but it's more the other way around. The free adventure was made later as an advertisement and a tie-in.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I got Eyes of the Stone Thief yesterday and I'm still not done reading through it. There's so much content it boggles the mind; even if you don't run the whole thing as written there's so much you can implement into your own stuff. It owns.

The Hellpike is incredible, that's like Hand of Winter / Sword of Ruin territory as magic weapons go. You could base an entire campaign around that thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's going to take me a while to get through this one, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A question, since I'm new to this and just reading through the core book for now. When you get a new Tier of Feats, if you take a Champion version of a feat you already had the Adventurer version of, do you just have both now, or do you redistribute the Adventurer tier feat to something else? I thought it would be the former, except for the Paladin's Cleric Training specifying at Epic it just gives you 2 spells, and now I'm not entirely sure if that's as a replacement for the Champion/Adventurer tier or if that's if you put all 3 feat slots into it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Except for (by default) the Ranger's animal companion feats (e: and the Skeletal Minion feats for the necromancer), to take a champ/epic feat you need to take the feats below it.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 1, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thanks. As one other newbie question, they say all your skills go up by 1 per level; I'm guessing they mean the general fact that you add your level to rolls, not 'All backgrounds go up by 1 per level'.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Correct.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I'm curious about the decision on the presentation of pages 216-219 of Eyes of the Stone Thief. It's very jarring to go from the stunning parchment-like appearance of previous pages with colour gradients and art, and then be hit with contrasty black and white pages with harsh, bold text and woodcut-style art, similar to older D&D modules.

This was surely a deliberate choice, given the description at the beginning of the chapter (and it looks nothing like the unformatted drafts I've seen from Pelgrane). Some of what is found within the area described might further explain it, though I'm sure most of it is lost on me as I've experienced very little of earlier editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to guess, from the fact that I consistently hear there are some really loser classes in 13th Age, that one of them is the Ranger. And the other is the Barbarian. Both of them say 'Simple to play' and 'will mostly just make melee attacks', after all, but especially the Ranger. I can't find much he can do that the Fighter or Paladin can't.