Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sakai hasn't really seen Sekai's sister yet. So It could be triple triangles all the way round!

Sakai has no chance with anyone though so it's kind of hilarious.

Also, no idea why people are complaining about with Sekai kicking off Yuuma. That is the kind of poo poo you do to your teammates in competitive games from time to time to keep sane. Small annoyances that don't mean anything but let you blow off some steam after they've been giving you poo poo for feeding in Jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The show just needs more Sakai period. Hopefully once this rather lame tournament ends there will be a good amount of downtime for more cast interactions and good 1v1s.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

I really liked the interactions this episode. Sekai and Gyanko's "date" was funny, and I liked that Fumina was pretty nonplussed over Sekai cheering her up, then checked up on him just to see if things were all right. Haha, Sakai wins the modeling championship in his dream with a TRY Zeta. :smug:

Fight was a foregone conclusion, sadly, but can't say I expected Kung-fu G-Fighter. Also hah, Sleggar using a G-Fighter, of course. And if I'm not mistaken, the Mega-Shiki's beam sabers are actually the Crossbone's Beam Zanbers, that's an interesting touch.

They looked a bit more like the beam katanas the Masurao had. Overall it was an alright episode, the fight was good, although Mega Shiki dude (name escapes me at the moment) is looking a whole lot like the Jpop idol from Gunpla Battlers with the custom Hi Nu. Hopefully he gets stomped by Yuuma next episode.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ka0 posted:

I can't believe there's going to be a love square between the gunpla guy, fumina, sekai and gyanko.

it's hard to tell if sakai is in love with yuuma or fumina

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Fumina was already messed up, against a wall and it didnt happen because the team stepped in to stop it. If you noticed, she tried to missile Yomi too, but Sleggar intercepted the missiles with his own. Which sort of proves that once you are handicapped you are sort of hosed.

I would love to see a fight where people get taken out but the enemy suffers so much damage in the process that they dont tip the scales too badly. The thing I miss most is how visceral the fights could get in BF

Sakai hasn't really seen Sekai's sister yet. So It could be triple triangles all the way round!

e-I still dont know how lady is going to fit into all of this.

tbh, at that point yuuma could have sniped gyanko and the battle would've ended before fumina got wrecked. plus we're watching a show where one or more of the characters have won battles on pure burning spirit, so it's not too much to ask she gets a chance to take at least one unit out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing that is increasingly bothering me as we go on is that Yuuma has not done jack-poo poo to qualify his 'super-master builder' status.

Fumina, on the other hand, built a robot that can transform, separate, separate into parts which are guided to ally units and which happen to perfectly fit those units without the pilot's even knowing she was doing it, and those add-on parts are capable of performing high-level plavsky manipulation to enhance the weapons of two units built by master builders beyond their builder's specs.

How the hell is Yuuma the master builder of the team?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sakai has no chance with anyone though so it's kind of hilarious.

Also, no idea why people are complaining about with Sekai kicking off Yuuma. That is the kind of poo poo you do to your teammates in competitive games from time to time to keep sane. Small annoyances that don't mean anything but let you blow off some steam after they've been giving you poo poo for feeding in Jungle.

I think it's more of the straw that broke the camel's back than anything else since it's just yet another case of Team Try winning despite not working together at all outside of Hoshino dispensing upgrades.

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that is increasingly bothering me as we go on is that Yuuma has not done jack-poo poo to qualify his 'super-master builder' status.

Fumina, on the other hand, built a robot that can transform, separate, separate into parts which are guided to ally units and which happen to perfectly fit those units without the pilot's even knowing she was doing it, and those add-on parts are capable of performing high-level plavsky manipulation to enhance the weapons of two units built by master builders beyond their builder's specs.

Yeah I've been confused by that as well. I wonder how 2v2 team battles could have gone instead of 3v3; Yuuma really feels like he has no reason to exist and with 2-person teams they could develop two supporting characters at once instead of every team with a backstory being supporting character + 2. Yuuma just still feels like an outsider and in the meantime Hoshino and Sekai do have their funny moments like Hoshino knowing enough about Sekai to not worry about him hanging out with Gyanko (admittedly that's mostly just Hoshino but hey).

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 26, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Literally The Worst you are actually the worst poster in this thread that includes me and ImpAtom. Please just shut up.

Not even close breh (and neither of you are the worst posters either!)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Thats what I've been saying. Yuuma hasn't really done anything to show that he's a good builder other than his suit looking pretty. The megashiki on the other hand has been shown to be incredibly powerful and more versatile that the Lightning gundam. Fumina's Winning is really unorthodox and has tons of gimmicks that she can use. Even Sleggar's G-Fighter seems to be way more unique and useful that the Lightning.

Really, Bandai is targeting all three of their money makers with the team comp. Im sure G-Gundam sold tons of plastic so thats why Sekai uses a brawler. At one time SD Gundams literally kept Bandai's plastic robot line a float so thats why Fumina uses one. Gotta give people that like shooty real robots a bone so here's the Lightning. In this show, it seems shooty robots are at a disadvantage so Yuuma gets the short stick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I admit, the honeymoon is starting to wear off. :( That said, Gyanko's over the top "Death scene" was funny. She definitely should gone down better though, if not taking out the V Gundam girl, at least badly damage her (since Mega-Shiki and Sleggar are too "important future enemy" to hurt, or whatever bullshit).

The R GyaGya remains the coolest Gunpla in the show though.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 26, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im sure G-Gundam sold tons of plastic

I'm actually pretty sure this isn't what happened.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

TARDISman posted:

They looked a bit more like the beam katanas the Masurao had. Overall it was an alright episode, the fight was good, although Mega Shiki dude (name escapes me at the moment) is looking a whole lot like the Jpop idol from Gunpla Battlers with the custom Hi Nu. Hopefully he gets stomped by Yuuma next episode.

Ah, so they are. Seemed to be a bit wider in animation, hence why I assumed it's more "pirate cutlass" Zanber and less "beams folded 10000 times" katana.

Condiv posted:

it's hard to tell if sakai is in love with yuuma or fumina

Tch, obviously it's Laura Rolla he's interested in. :v:

Really though, cameos in it were nice to see.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im sure G-Gundam sold tons of plastic so thats why Sekai uses a brawler.

It might have if they hadn't used all their plastic making Mandala and Zebra Gundams.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

YMS-16M Xamel (0083)
ZMT-A31A Doggorla (V)

I'm not actually sure if I should count the Xamel since it's technically the Super Xamel but eh.

All-in-all, an odd inverse of last episode. I was really enjoying the pre-fight scenes because for once everybody seemed to have a character (though they already seem to be blowing off Try Fighter scenes under the assumption that you already know how they work), but then the fight happened and bleh. I'm not actually sure what the strategy was even supposed to be versus Leviathan (force them to separate, pin them down with giant beams, Sekai punch?) and the entire Gyanko fight was basically just "look how impressive these new enemies are". Mega Shiki dude pulling a Tatsuya hairstyle change was cute though.

The ridiculously overdramatic death scene made me burst out laughing. So far I think the biggest problem with this show is that it's trying to be a standard shonen tournament show where everything is super serious, which is a complete contrast to the original series. I mean Yuuma is a hilariously flat character who has done jack poo poo, but so was Sei and even he wasn't that boring to watch.

Still enjoyed the episode overall, which seems to fit with the "odd episodes suck, even episodes are okay/good" pattern. Which makes me depressed about next week.

EDIT: On the plus side, so far none of Try's female cast have been as bad as China.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 26, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Sei was entertaining to watch because he got to be a giant loving nerd who'd start nerding the gently caress out at the drop of a hat. Remember when he showed the Build Mark II to Reiji?

We have another giant loving nerd here, but she's not allowed to show that off. When Sekai said "oh man what's that dragon thing," I actually cursed when the builder answered and not the turbonerd. Why the hell did they make her a giant Gundam nerd if she's never going to talk about it?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

Sei was entertaining to watch because he got to be a giant loving nerd who'd start nerding the gently caress out at the drop of a hat. Remember when he showed the Build Mark II to Reiji?

We have another giant loving nerd here, but she's not allowed to show that off. When Sekai said "oh man what's that dragon thing," I actually cursed when the builder answered and not the turbonerd. Why the hell did they make her a giant Gundam nerd if she's never going to talk about it?

She's more of a turbonerd for battling than the show itself. That's the other thing, we haven't really had an "Oh you..." moment when someone loses it over a Gunpla like Sei with the Build Mk II or Fellini getting plastered and ranting about how great the special episode of 08th MS Team was. It's just been "These two love Gunpla, hell if we know how they feel about the show."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: On the plus side, so far none of Try's female cast have been as bad as China.

That is because Yuuma is busy being the show's China. Runs in the family.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TARDISman posted:

She's more of a turbonerd for battling than the show itself. That's the other thing, we haven't really had an "Oh you..." moment when someone loses it over a Gunpla like Sei with the Build Mk II or Fellini getting plastered and ranting about how great the special episode of 08th MS Team was. It's just been "These two love Gunpla, hell if we know how they feel about the show."

As someone who doesn't care about gunpla but loves Gundam, it has been weird seeing the cast not really care about the latter when the first season was filled with love for the shows as well as the gunpla (like even having Gundam next episode preview lines in the previews, that a nice touch). Sakai's dream in the intro seemed to be the closest someone has gotten to nerding out over Gundam-related things so far, I believe?

I guess what I'm getting at is it's starting to feel interchangeable with similar shows about battling with tiny robots. Perhaps this week's post credits scene means that will change soon!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly this show hasn't been very big on gunpla love either. So far, of the entire cast, Sakai is the only character who would fit in with the original BF crew.

Basically Sakai is the best. *magically assembles a kit in three seconds*

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Have I missed foreshadowing or do we continue to have no idea who the Kamina-esc figure Sekai is lusting after in the OP is?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They're his master.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I know the rest of them are references too, but you stay away from my Gundam Valhalla Nina Purpledress! :argh:

It was nice to see "Laura," The Colonel and Dorothy though!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 26, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

Have I missed foreshadowing or do we continue to have no idea who the Kamina-esc figure Sekai is lusting after in the OP is?

That is his master who resembles Domon Kashuu (and maybe or may not be a woman, there's some debate there.)

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly this show hasn't been very big on gunpla love either. So far, of the entire cast, Sakai is the only character who would fit in with the original BF crew.

Basically Sakai is the best. *magically assembles a kit in three seconds*

Fumina at least seems to like building Gunpla and had fun at G-MUSE.

I... assume Yuuma likes Gunpla but we never really get anything from him really implying it beyond that he spends a lot of time on it. Like, he appears to consider his retreat into Gunpla Building a failure of sorts so... v:shobon:v

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know the rest of them are references too, but you stay away from my Gundam Valhalla Nina Purpledress! :argh:

Huh, is that the Blu Duel's pilot on the right?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I liked how everyone in Sakai's dream was formally dressed, but he was still just wearing his orange rain coat and tee shirt. He's a big believer in keeping things casual.

Still waiting for him to pull a Fellini and try to pick up a girl by giving them a gunpla. Hell, might even actually work on Fumina.

Actually, come to think of it, do Fumina and Sekai know that Yuuma knows Sakai? Oh derp, he straight up says his name.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 27, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gyanko's dramatic defeat being immediately followed by a cheery GO FIGHT GO FIGHT LET YOU GO was hilarious.

Sadly while Build Fighters used to be my weekly half hour of guaranteed goofy fun, I'm firmly in the group that feels Try is a lot more like a generic shonen. The first four episodes were good but the tournament arc is struggling to be interesting, and that's where it should be at its strongest. Build Fighters certainly was very good there, with only a few matches you'd call genuinely disappointing to watch.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The issue here, is that in the first show we had a complete gunpla nerd teamed up with could-care-less piloting genius, that and a good mix of really fun and interesting side characters.

Here, we have young shonen ace #912, so we depend upon fumina and yuuma to keep us interested; yuuma has been a charismatic black hole, and fuumina does not get enough screen-time to offset the rest. Of the side characters, only Sakai and Gyanko pull their weight.
:goonsay:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, is that the Blu Duel's pilot on the right?
Yep. Like with Aisha Waltfeld, they also remembered she exists too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How can I love the big picture of a show so much, and still dislike so much of the little bits?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

How can I love the big picture of a show so much, and still dislike so much of the little bits?

I think it is because Try is a show with a good idea but bad execution. It's not an actively terrible show the way some Gundam series are but it's also kind of frustrating because you know they can do better.

If Try had come before BF, I'd probably be less harsh on it, but also less interested in it. BF was a better show than expected and Try... just kind of isn't. It's still fun to watch, if just to see some nicely animated fights and the times it recaptures some of the old spirit, but still.

I wonder if there is more studio interference this time. Part of why BF worked is that they were just allowed to do crazy poo poo. Try feels a lot more 'focused tested' in all the ways that leads to kinda lovely shows. A character like Yuuma really feels like some studio head told them to include this specific character archetype and they really don't want to but are obligated to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if there is more studio interference this time. Part of why BF worked is that they were just allowed to do crazy poo poo. Try feels a lot more 'focused tested' in all the ways that leads to kinda lovely shows. A character like Yuuma really feels like some studio head told them to include this specific character archetype and they really don't want to but are obligated to.

I agree. Build Fighters is probably a victim of it's own success and it's gotten some overhead interference. Three gunpla apiece feels like a cheap way to force in more toys on-screen at any given time, and the writers are doing their best to frag two of them as quickly as possible to try and salvage a single good fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Try actually has the same budget BF did, it's just getting hacked away at trying to keep three fights flowing instead of one. The Burning Build Gundam feels tacked-on as well by the higher-ups, as one thing the writers said was they were aware of how over-done the Build Knuckle was and welp, we've got pretty much the same thing again right from the second episode. Not to mention they can't even risk damaging it because they can't fix it.

Honestly if I was going to guess, I'd say Fumina was probably the writer's main character for whatever they originally had planned. Sekai's the typical unstoppable martial arts protagonist, and Yuuma's a walking brooding stereotype. She's the only one that seems properly fleshed out to the extent of the characters from the first series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Gyanko's dramatic defeat being immediately followed by a cheery GO FIGHT GO FIGHT LET YOU GO was hilarious.

Sadly while Build Fighters used to be my weekly half hour of guaranteed goofy fun, I'm firmly in the group that feels Try is a lot more like a generic shonen. The first four episodes were good but the tournament arc is struggling to be interesting, and that's where it should be at its strongest. Build Fighters certainly was very good there, with only a few matches you'd call genuinely disappointing to watch.

I know the talk about the Sunrise curse for second seasons is a p dumb meme but heck, I really can't argue with that trend. And like a lot of them it has gone from a solid intro straight into mediocrity. It feels like they're playing it a lot safer which is weird because of how well the first season did!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly if I was going to guess, I'd say Fumina was probably the writer's main character for whatever they originally had planned. Sekai's the typical unstoppable martial arts protagonist, and Yuuma's a walking brooding stereotype. She's the only one that seems properly fleshed out to the extent of the characters from the first series.

I could certainly see her being intended to be the main character, but they've done a rather poor job of it and she's really not that fleshed out. Mainly because she very rarely interacts with anyone except Sekai nowadays. The first couple episodes really were the Fumina show, but now everything is just Sekai, which is made worse by Sekai having so little to do with the actual gundam part of the show.

I'll throw out a probably-not-going-to-happen hope that maybe team Try actually loses in the finals, either as a way to get into a larger plot faster or just because the top two qualify so there's no real penalty. Or maybe the penalty is maximum damage level for the match so that there's still good incentive to win, and we'd have an excuse for the midseason upgrades. A loss could make the team splinter and then spend episodes on their own and hopefully getting fleshed out more and having 1v1 fights. I'm really just looking forward to this tournament ending at this point, which is not something I feel good saying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

I could certainly see her being intended to be the main character, but they've done a rather poor job of it and she's really not that fleshed out. Mainly because she very rarely interacts with anyone except Sekai nowadays. The first couple episodes really were the Fumina show, but now everything is just Sekai, which is made worse by Sekai having so little to do with the actual gundam part of the show.

I'll throw out a probably-not-going-to-happen hope that maybe team Try actually loses in the finals, either as a way to get into a larger plot faster or just because the top two qualify so there's no real penalty. Or maybe the penalty is maximum damage level for the match so that there's still good incentive to win, and we'd have an excuse for the midseason upgrades. A loss could make the team splinter and then spend episodes on their own and hopefully getting fleshed out more and having 1v1 fights. I'm really just looking forward to this tournament ending at this point, which is not something I feel good saying.

A Timeskip and chunk of episodes detailing the team coming back together and learning in time for a shot at next year would be really cool, and also if they go full on crazy plot mode and somehow they actually are cloning gundam characters from throughout time to play plamo wars, that would be entertaining too.

What I think will happen though is this show will just become mostly one big long tournament arc, and they go from this final to the bigger regional and end at the nationals, with maybe a few interesting rivals getting introduced along the way.

They had mentioned they didn't want to do the world tourney thing again right? I'm a bit disappointed in that, it was nice seeing international representation in the characters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Of course they haven't fleshed her out more, Sekai's the main character! The producers say so :v:. I kinda think the first two-or-three episodes are derived from whatever they'd originally had planned, especially with Fumina narrating them a little, and written a little more like the original series. It's a subtle shift, but the later ones don't focus on the booths as a set of console controls like the original series, going all-out on suggesting they're in a full cockpit like traditional Gundam series. Though the feigned deaths are hilarious every time :allears:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Of course they haven't fleshed her out more, Sekai's the main character! The producers say so :v:. I kinda think the first two-or-three episodes are derived from whatever they'd originally had planned, especially with Fumina narrating them a little, and written a little more like the original series. It's a subtle shift, but the later ones don't focus on the booths as a set of console controls like the original series, going all-out on suggesting they're in a full cockpit like traditional Gundam series. Though the feigned deaths are hilarious every time :allears:.

What would have made the end of this episode awesome is if after the explosion and the dramatic cry, we cut to Gyanko fake-passed out on the floor for like half a second before she opens an eye and realizes her overdramatics didn't make Sekai come rushing down to her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

What would have made the end of this episode awesome is if after the explosion and the dramatic cry, we cut to Gyanko fake-passed out on the floor for like half a second before she opens an eye and realizes her overdramatics didn't make Sekai come rushing down to her.

Agreed, and I was actually expecting something like this as the post-credits stinger :sigh:. As a side note after a bit of thought, I actually think Yuuma was probably in the original draft too, given the back-story mentioned from the first few episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if the original intent was Fumina as the fighter with Yuuma backing her up like Sei did, given the whole thing about him being a master builder.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't wait to see the burning part of the Build Burning next episode.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Sekai's failing as a character is that he's sort of a generic super-prodigy like Reiji was but without any of the massive character flaws that fleshed Reiji out and made him bounce off other characters in amusing ways. Reiji was an amazing pilot but he was a huge rear end in a top hat, incredibly lazy unless specifically motivated to do one thing, incredibly self-centered, and unreliable.

They tried to do this with Sekai(see Mirai talking to Fumina about all of his flaws), but none of them except him being kind of oblivious ever really surfaces. He's constantly shown being wise, down-to-earth, knowing exactly what to say to make everyone feel better/swoon, and have no problems discovering exactly what he needs to do to overcome his weaknesses on his own, which sort of robs him of any actual interesting character development. It would have been a lot more interesting so far if his stubborn refusal to even engage with the concept of ranged combat or ambush tactics or anything like that had harmed the team at all, but they seem shy about actually highlighting his flaws any more than the generic "He doesn't realize people have a crush on him" protagonist stuff.

A good example is how he figured out Space Martial Arts. They justify this by showing him training in a pool and I'm sure that's great for expanding his physical horizons, but that has gently caress all to do with how he figured out how to make the Build Burning generate plavsky springboards for him to use. Why not show him asking Yuuma or Fumina or even Sakai for help figuring out how to do plavsky nonsense? Even a throwaway scene where he sees somebody doing wacky poo poo with plavsky particles and goes "Huh, you know, maybe..."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly I think the problem is just that the fights are boring. It's a shonen tournament show, good characters that aren't just archetypes are literally at a premium. It all comes down to how well they pull off the sport of the day, and BF totally aced it. Try on the other hand has all these things they could do with the team aspect, things they are explicitly not doing to turn it into a 1 v 1 or "every member of the team does flashy attack, win".

Basically Sunrise Second Season strikes again.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Also, BF S1 has some great side characters and villians which results in compelling fights or relationships between the main characters, this season is not that special so far. Not terrible but just ok.

The staff deliberately chose not to have a love triangle relation between the 3 characters and it seems as if it was going out of its way to avoid being compared to Chihayafuru. Thats fine, but these 3 characters are just too boring and generic, there are no great rivals or side characters either to make the show stand out from other cliched shonen sport series.

Basically it's about time A Char appears to save the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly I think the problem is just that the fights are boring. It's a shonen tournament show, good characters that aren't just archetypes are literally at a premium. It all comes down to how well they pull off the sport of the day, and BF totally aced it. Try on the other hand has all these things they could do with the team aspect, things they are explicitly not doing to turn it into a 1 v 1 or "every member of the team does flashy attack, win".

This is pretty close to my thoughts as well. I'd be willing to forgive a lot more if the fights were more interesting and compelling.

• Locked thread