Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It will...probably still eradicate nearly a whole squad, and 30k Marines don't have ATSKNF.

So I was going through the Solar Auxilia stuff, and there's some awesome stuff. Lord Marshals (an upgrade for their HQ) both have Ld10 that every model on the board can use (as long as they're not falling back) and can select their Warlord trait instead of rolling for it.

Likewise, you can get WS5 Veletaris storm squads, with power axes, to run roughshod over Marines. They still only hit at S4 but if you get off the charge they have 3 attacks (4 for their sergeant). The rules for the tercio are a bit unclear, but it seems like any section can take an ADL as a 'dedicated transport' as long as no other section has bought a DT.

edit: this is the 4th time I've been the first comment on every other page and it is getting weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Dagon posted:

EM4 makes and sells the Space Rangers now. Just ordered 15 :v:

I bought some of their 'gangers' and 'troopers' off eBay because they were crazy-cheap and they're kind of garbage. They don't snap together very well and are very skinny / flimsy compared to 40k troops. Maybe I should try painting some up and see how they look but after putting them together my enthusiasm was gone :geno:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok so, guesses at what the new terrible Blood Angel units will be.

I'm putting money on some kind of fighter jet shaped like a bat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cataphract posted:

It will be shaped like a blood drop and painted like anything but.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

It will be shaped like a blood drop and painted like anything but.

What about blood shaped drop pods? Blood pods that splash blood onto enemies.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cataphract posted:

This is assuming they get a new unit at all and don't receive the GK treatment where it's just an updated book.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cataphract posted:

What about blood shaped drop pods? Blood pods that splash blood onto enemies.

the emperor's cum drops rain from the heavens

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Drop Pods being carried by huge bats.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

This is assuming they get a new unit at all and don't receive the GK treatment where it's just an updated book.

I reckon there'll be a few of the characters redone in plastic a new storm talon type flyer and potentially some kind of artillery piece: thunderfire analogue.

I think Necrons will get the GK treatment since their range ballooned last release. Maybe we'll see some of the green rod kits replaced.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Big hoses that fire blood onto their foes

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
They'll get a new flyer called the Blood Eagle which is equipped with Carmine Cannons, Blood-Rage Rockets, Las-Blood-ers and can carry up to 6 Blood Bloods.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Slimnoid posted:

The "GK Treatment" would (also) involve all the Death Company units, characters, and wargear being split off into their own seperate codex.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
too bad death company is the best part and i would buy it just to avoid nipple marines

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cataphract posted:

I reckon there'll be a few of the characters redone in plastic a new storm talon type flyer and potentially some kind of artillery piece: thunderfire analogue.

I think Necrons will get the GK treatment since their range ballooned last release. Maybe we'll see some of the green rod kits replaced.

I would have thought the same way prior to the DE release. Now I'm pretty sure the most we'll see with BA is a new assault squad box like the new tac box that released with the SM book.

I think you're right about Necrons.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
in all seriousness though i thought they were working on some sort of sanguinary guard analogue?

Morachi
Nov 22, 2014

Boon posted:

Im a bit disappointed that these campaign books are coming out with new models and Eldar are still hosed model-wise.

Can't complain about Eldar for most things, but goddamnit, give me some cool Warp Spiders, Jetbikes, and Phoenix Lords.

Then you would be looking for the following...

Warp Spiders - http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/monofilament-fun-3rd-party-warp-spiders.html

Jetbikes (well a bunch of summarised stuff) - http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/one-year-on-i-need-to-start-charging.html and http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/jes-goodwin-jetbikes-en-mass.html and http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/wip-updates-ahoy.html ..... annnnnd.... http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/shining-spears-jetbike-warlocks-underway.html

Good times. Lots of talent out there, just have to dig, or let them find you (in some cases).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anyone know what chassis the official images for the Forge World Leman Russ turrets use? They look like they're resin and have the Malcador-looking curved struts in the back.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
They're using Mars Alpha pattern hulls with Ryza turrets.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Does anyone know what chassis the official images for the Forge World Leman Russ turrets use? They look like they're resin and have the Malcador-looking curved struts in the back.

That would be the Mars Alpha pattern hull as that is the same that the DKoK use if you look at their tanks section.

efb.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ooooo. I'm envious. Here's a strange question about that kit that you may not have an answer for (yet): How tall is a Marauder model? Like, from the tabletop to the top of the rudder, if it's on its landing gear?

Hello!

I'm working on it as I type, I am going to fix the forward-upper fuselage and let it cure, then take a picture: ETA 1-2hrs. The approx dimensions are about 32cm long, including lascannons on nose by 41cm wide, with height about 12cm. I'd estimate it weights about 1.5kg, although I have used Araldite to join the engine and wings which means the join is EXTREMELY strong and unlikely to ever break.

The more pressing question which I haven't considered is how to actually contruct a flying base for it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Cooked Auto posted:

That would be the Mars Alpha pattern hull as that is the same that the DKoK use if you look at their tanks section.

efb.

It's a newer version of the Mars Alpha hull which was released with DKoK. You can tell what is DKoK based because they all use Ryza pattern. The original Mars Alpha pattern isn't in production anymore because it doesn't actually fit with current-gen LR sprues, although the Destroyer Tank Hunter still uses the original sprues.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I bought a mars pattern hull from FW last year, they must've stooped production recently. It actually fits the new kits decently, or at least as well as any FW conversion kit with their poor casting.

I got their long barreled vanquisher turret too and it makes a siiick command tank.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

I bought a mars pattern hull from FW last year, they must've stooped production recently. It actually fits the new kits decently, or at least as well as any FW conversion kit with their poor casting.

Fair enough, I found that the upper hull did not completelt join with the lower hull for my Laser Destroyer, so I assumed this was the case for all Alpha hulls.

Project Update Time

It's great now that I am not at University because I can literally spend my free time working on this. In any case, the wings, engine and majority of the fuselage are now fixed.

As I mentioned before, the engines and wings are fixed with Araldite. This is to ensure that they will not sponaneously fall off, it's pretty likely that the join will last longer than all of us.

As can be seen here, I need to do some filling. The miscast engine on the far left is a real pain in the rear end and I don't know if I'll ever get it right, I've opted to try to fix it when I fill. I left the canopy off so you can see inside the cockpit, in practice the lower interior space will be basecoated and maybe some weathering but you will not be able to see it at all. I guess it's for people wanting to make dioramas or whatever but for my purposes the two entrance hatches will be closed.

This picture is more for you guys, so you can get a sense of scale to the size of the Marauder Bomber when compared to a Thunderbolt. I actually bought this Thunderbolt off eBay so the paintjob isn't mine, however I won another Thunderbolt off eBay yesterday which isn't painted so I'll be able to demonstrate my painting skills on it and this Marauder Bomber.

Moving forward, there isn't really much more on the major construction side to do. The next step is painting the interior and underside, the adding on the tailplane and flaps (which by necessity are going to be slightly open). Only then can I begin actually painting this sucker, which should be interesting. I haven't really decided on a paint scheme yet but I'll probably make it close to however I decide to paint my new Thunderbolt.

I really have to say that to anyone considering buying Forgeworld, please consider it carefully. I've had a real love-hate relationship with it and Forge World, mostly due to the shithouse quality control they seem to have. The newer kits look tons better, but generally speaking FW things require some decent skills with different saws, files, sandpaper, knives, etc. in order to even think about assembly. The upside to the high challenge is that there usually are good deals on eBay for things which people give up on, like the Thunderbolt I bought for like a bit over 1/2 the price of a new one (and it's not even that badly done).

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Leo Showers posted:

I really have to say that to anyone considering buying Forgeworld, please consider it carefully. I've had a real love-hate relationship with it and Forge World, mostly due to the shithouse quality control they seem to have. The newer kits look tons better, but generally speaking FW things require some decent skills with different saws, files, sandpaper, knives, etc. in order to even think about assembly. The upside to the high challenge is that there usually are good deals on eBay for things which people give up on, like the Thunderbolt I bought for like a bit over 1/2 the price of a new one (and it's not even that badly done).

A general note here, beware of good deals on eBay if the seller is based in Russia, China or eastern Europe. They're often recasts and their resin quality can be drastically different from authentic FW stuff,

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'd say it's actually easier to assemble most FW vehicles compared to GW ones. I hate putting together any GW space marine tank.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

A general note here, beware of good deals on eBay if the seller is based in Russia, China or eastern Europe. They're often recasts and their resin quality can be drastically different from authentic FW stuff,

I should've included this aswell. Ideally you want to actually see a picture of exactly what you are buying. Anything using the stock FW image paired with above is very likely a recast.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think you might be mad. FW kits are often warped to buggery, filled with air holes, and coated in industrial jizz.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think you might be mad. FW kits are often warped to buggery, filled with air holes, and coated in industrial jizz.

I typed pretty much this out, and I have to reinforce this point here. The plastic GW kits I've worked with are a real dream, the best so far IMO is the Ork Bomma kit.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Seriously. Put together an Ork Stompa and then try a FW Warhound and you'll be wondering just how any longtime FW customer keeps their sanity.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'd rather have to use basic hand tool skills and have a tank that actually fits together than deal with another loving Rhino-chassis gluing together like a trapezoid.

edit: I built my Typhon quicker than I can put together a Rhino.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 27, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'd rather have to use basic hand tool skills and have a tank that actually fits together than deal with another loving Rhino-chassis gluing together like a trapezoid.

edit: I built my Typhon quicker than I can put together a Rhino.

:wtc: I can put together a Rhino in like no time at all. They're stupidly simple.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So I'm thinking about when I get to use these bad boys on the table top, and it'll probably come down to a multiplayer Apoc game where I'll assist my teammates with some absolutely mad skills Navy air support.

Currently, the plan is to use;

Marauder Bomber - 410pts
w/ Chaff/Flare Launcher
It'll either carry the 12 Bombs or 2x Hellstorm Bombs depending on what I face, as there is no cost for payload.

Thunderbolt #1 - 190pts
w/ Chaff/Flare Launcher

Thunderbolt #2 - 190pts
w/ Chaff/Flare Launcher

Min cost for Navy Air Support - 790pts

One of my Thunderbolts has Hellstrike/Skystrike missiles modelled, but I think I'll decide on the payload closer to the game because the Thunderbolts are both really, really flexible on the mission profile. I've added the single-use Chaff/Flare Launchers because I think it's neat and they can hopefully save my expensive toys from at least one missile hit. Anyone have any experience running air cover during an Apoc game?

e: Would anyone here have a major aneurysm if someone showed up to your apoc game with what I have.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 27, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

:wtc: I can put together a Rhino in like no time at all. They're stupidly simple.

They're annoying because the 'tabs' on the floor don't go deep enough into the sides to force the sides upright and the roof is irritating if the aforementioned sides end up with a slant.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

For the most part, they all had released models for the stuff they wanted to use :negative:
The Tyranid book was the first one to come out with so many of the new units with missing models though, Space Wolves were only waiting on Thunderwolves from memory.

If someone tried that on me, I would point out that Lone Wolves, Long Fangs, and most of the HQ choices don't have models. No, you can't use Devastators- those are for Space Marines, and we don't allow proxies here. :smug:

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I would totally rock a Blood fighter with blood cannons and blood bombs. It would go perfectly with GWAR themed Blood Angels.

When is GWAR getting a new codex update?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There's a Long Fangs box actually :v:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Leo Showers posted:

e: Would anyone here have a major aneurysm if someone showed up to your apoc game with what I have.

Certainly not here - but my group embraced FW years ago.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah the quality is probably better :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Leo Showers posted:

Nope, I actually got to play my admech in a 40k apoc game last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Rules quibble Re: hit and run

Cypher has hit and run. If you stick him in a unit of cultists, when you want to disengage do you use majority initiative or his to take the test?

• Locked thread