Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I almost said I'd prefer the spear over the gate too, but the special attack for the spear is probably the worst of any character, and the ending animation for a full combo attack leaves Lana too vulnerable (though it does fantastic damage).

You mean that flourish she does after the ice explodes? You can dodge cancel out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Sounds like you're letting a Bombchu blow your base up.

Also keep captains don't matter to your team, your keeps are taken the instant their meter hits 0, the enemy doesn't have to kill a keep boss like you do. Bombchus instantly drop a keep's HP to 0.

There's zero bomchus near the base when this happens. I take one out, I take out the next closest one, the base just falls even if Darunia is cleared out. If I restart from a checkpoint the base will have 3/4 life and it will go from that to zero in like five seconds even though both rock throwing keeps are mine, etc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The deku spear's special attack has very little range but does tons of damage to generals and also big bosses

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So the DLC comes tomorrow right? Will it update tonight at midnight?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

So the DLC comes tomorrow right? Will it update tonight at midnight?

Last time it wasn't until after noon EST. Of course then Mario Kart updated at midnight so it's not impossible I guess.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Update out now! I repeat, an update for Hyrule Warriors is available right now! I am downloading it right now :D

:siren:

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
(^^^ wait. really?!)

I have to wait until after my Thanksgiving trip to check out the DLC. :( Have fun, y'all!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I actually found that Skulltula in the Zant stage to be far easier than the ones in Lana's gate stages. The problem with the level 2 gate stage was that once you defeat one of the enemy commanders, Cia becomes suicidal and runs into the enemy base, which can cause issues to getting to the Skulltula in time and back to save her. So the trick is apparently to beat one of the commanders and then hold off on beating either of the two commanders until you get the Skulltula.

For the level 3 stage, it was just a matter of Impa being a pain in the rear end and often dealing out too much damage to me to succeed. Doing these missions gave me a newfound love for the gate weapon. It's pretty awesome, but I still would rather use Lana's book because the gate is just not great for dealing with officers one on one, it works much better for crowds. I almost said I'd prefer the spear over the gate too, but the special attack for the spear is probably the worst of any character, and the ending animation for a full combo attack leaves Lana too vulnerable (though it does fantastic damage).

So now I've gotten all Skulltulas and once I beat the last Reward map, I can move on to the Master Quest map! I even managed to finally get an Imprisoned's Pillar, from the Boss Rush map (which is a huge pain). Apparently the odds of getting a good material also depend on the level of the enemy, the lower the level, the less likely you are to get its gold material. This would make sense, since the enemies on Boss Rush seem pretty high level (99 Link with 5 star Gauntlet and Vs Dragon took longer to take out a Dodongo than on other stages). Still, the stage is way too much of a pain to make it good for farming materials.

Lana's gate mission was the last skulltula I got, and I was kinda worried about that one too. But I just kept my distance from everything and shot Argoroth repeatedly, and that ended up working.

I only have one A-rank left to get that "A rank all stages" medal, and guess which one it is! Imprisoned is the worst. And when there's three of them on the map at once, there is never a time when one of them isn't doing the belly flop charge. It seems like this is a stage where a co-op partner would help significantly, but I dunno if I want to subject her to this one. (she hates Imprisoned even more than me)

Looked back in the thread since I remember y'all talking about a strategy and... Cia's C2, huh? I'll give it a whirl. Though I still get the feeling that even with a fast character, I still need to get less sucky at avoiding the Imprisoneds...

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Spectacle Rock posted:

Update out now! I repeat, an update for Hyrule Warriors is available right now! I am downloading it right now :D

:siren:

Unfortunately it's just the patch they announced and not the DLC. So level cap raised to 150 and material cap raised to 999. Also Amiibo support.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Ok, I just downloaded the update, it merely added in Amiibo support and some other stuff. I then when to the shop channel within the game and the Twilight Princess DLC was there.

It just downloaded. So, get Amiibo update first, then you can snag the DLC. You might have to restart the software yeah!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to manually trigger an update check?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

Ok, I just downloaded the update, it merely added in Amiibo support and some other stuff. I then when to the shop channel within the game and the Twilight Princess DLC was there.

It just downloaded. So, get Amiibo update first, then you can snag the DLC. You might have to restart the software yeah!

Oh poo poo are you serious!? This is cool now I can play a bit of the new stuff tonight before my Thanksgiving trip tomorrow...

Spinner here I come!

E: So the new mixtures are kinda interesting I guess. Sadly there's no Material drop rate mixture. There are 3 new ones - one that permanantly powers up your items for a battle, one that lets you break through enemy guards, and one that continually replenishes your SP gauge. They cost 100, 150, and 200 bronze materials respectively. You'll probably want to grind up above the old caps before you start using them.

Now to try and get the TP DLC to download...

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 27, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh poo poo are you serious!? This is cool now I can play a bit of the new stuff tonight before my Thanksgiving trip tomorrow...

Spinner here I come!

E: So the new mixtures are kinda interesting I guess. Sadly there's no Material drop rate mixture. There are 3 new ones - one that permanantly powers up your items for a battle, one that lets you break through enemy guards, and one that continually replenishes your SP gauge. They cost 100, 150, and 200 bronze materials respectively. You'll probably want to grind up above the old caps before you start using them.

Now to try and get the TP DLC to download...

For me, after I downloaded the amiibo update, the game started and the TP DLC was actually downloading in the background. So I just had to close the game and let it reopen and install.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

For me, after I downloaded the amiibo update, the game started and the TP DLC was actually downloading in the background. So I just had to close the game and let it reopen and install.

Yeah it's the same as the Master Quest. Just restart the game a few times and it'll trigger. I've got it going now.

I can't believe I'm seriously more excited about this loving game than Smash Bros and yet here I am.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

What gave you 1 Rupee? I'm so sorry.

I scanned my Link Amiibo and got the Spinner.
I scanned my Mario Amiibo and got a random item; I don't even remember what it was I sold it right away.

At least $$$ is possible. What Amiibo yielded money? Also, just one!?

To anyone doing the Twilight Map, some enemies you have to kill simultaneously. Simultaneously is used loosely. You can have a slight delay between the kills; it doesn't have to be the exact same frame which I originally thought. So, when it says "kill ____ simultaneously" just make sure to kill them in succession somewhat quickly. Also, the enemies will heal each other if you don't fight both of them so alternate your attacks.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I also got 1 Rupee, from Peach. But then I got a 2-Star Level 3 Spinner from Kirby, so that made up for it.

(I assume what you get is entirely random.)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The new mixes are kind of interesting and are actually kind of good, just require 100/150/200 bronze materials and lots of rupees.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
As frustrating as it is, I can kind of understand the lack of a material drop mixture. Materials are, after all, what you use to make the mixtures in the first place. A mixture to boost their drop rate would probably be difficult to balance such that it was neither over-priced to the point of uselessness nor under-priced such that it created a self-sustaining feedback loop.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Volga's really the problem - I usually don't get hit by Manhandla, especially as Wizzro who just carves giant bosses apart

I just can't do this level at all. Volga hurts me too much and I just can't get into the habit of blocking so when I do fight Mandala I've got like half a heart of health left.

The biggest "gently caress you" in this game is it not allowing you to use the Classic Controller for player 2. gently caress you for trying to get me to buy a Pro.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It was my Wii Fit Trainer that gave me a single rupee.

Got a couple rank 3 Eponas and a rank 3 spinner from my other amiibo for the day. Also, I had no idea that 1) we were getting a Dominion Rod weapon and 2) that it was for Zelda.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Taear posted:

I just can't do this level at all. Volga hurts me too much and I just can't get into the habit of blocking so when I do fight Mandala I've got like half a heart of health left.

The biggest "gently caress you" in this game is it not allowing you to use the Classic Controller for player 2. gently caress you for trying to get me to buy a Pro.

Even though it is inferior you can use a Wii Remote + Nunchuck. I know it is lame but bite the bullet and get the Wii U Pro Controller; it is really good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm a little disappointed that both the Mirror and Dominion Rod start out with all 3 levels unlocked so there's no progression of beating the level 2 and 3 stages. Oh well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm a little disappointed that both the Mirror and Dominion Rod start out with all 3 levels unlocked so there's no progression of getting beating the level 2 and 3 levels. Oh well.

That's really dumb, considering that Twilight Midna is a new character, so you'd think you'd have to unlock them through the adventure map, like the new characters in the MQ dlc.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So is it just me or are these new levels pretty difficult? A couple of them so far seem kind of middling but a couple seem really hard with my level 40ish characters.0

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What the hell... The Mirror is dark element? That's really dumb, we don't need more dark element characters. It makes a lot more sense for it to be light.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:siren: Enemies now drop multiple materials :siren:

This definitely applies for Silver and Bronze, and for both regular baddies and PC captains. Haven't seen any Gold materials or killed any giant bosses yet but if it's universal then holy poo poo they found a different solution to improve drop rates.

Also these new stages seem to be a lot more intense and definitely don't seem to be repeats of old ones.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mabels big day posted:

What the hell... The Mirror is dark element? That's really dumb, we don't need more dark element characters. It makes a lot more sense for it to be light.

The mirror can do both light and dark damage.

Edit: I think the dominion rod might be the weirdest weapon yet.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 27, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is there a plot to the new map or any new Legend mode maps?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That second level on the new Adventure mode map just kicked my rear end. I was not expecting that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

Nope.

Regarding multiple material drops, it's sadly not universal. Still cool that it can happen now.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

The_Frag_Man posted:

the "storyline" was really just a quick excuse to make the crossover happen, cia's missions didn't even have a reward for beating them, and it just ended abruptly. i think the story is over, it's all challenge maps now

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

Nope.

Regarding multiple material drops, it's sadly not universal. Still cool that it can happen now.

I think it's just that they always have a material drop now. So if they drop a material, you also get the guaranteed material but if they drop a weapon, you only get the one material.

Also fuuuuuuuck these missions. Guess I'm going to have to finish the other maps first.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jibo posted:

I think it's just that they always have a material drop now. So if they drop a material, you also get the guaranteed material but if they drop a weapon, you only get the one material.

Also fuuuuuuuck these missions. Guess I'm going to have to finish the other maps first.

Nah, I killed Cia in the third map and she only dropped a single Silver material and nothing else. So there's at least some chance involved.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone gotten one of the new recolors yet? I'm curious whether they're good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dear god, Twili Midna is powerful.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

chumbler posted:

Anyone gotten one of the new recolors yet? I'm curious whether they're good.

I just got Lana. Same as her default outfit, but her leggings are green and her tunic/cape thing is the same color as her hair.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Only tried the Spinner so far. The C6 seems really strong, but I haven't found anything that seems particularly good on giant boss weakpoints yet. Also, it seems like if you place a Spinner out on the ground and then land on it with C5, it'll electrify it and make it travel around in a circle for awhile.

Edit: I forgot to mention it before, but the Spinner's C2 followed by just the normal weak combo seems suitable for taking out captain and PC weakpoint gauges.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 27, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I have no idea what I'm doing with this rod but heck if it ain't fun.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Finally decided to level up Zelda's Level 3 Lightning Defense Badge and try for the Level 2 Baton. I took so much damage (3,700 to be precise) and almost didn't go for the 1200 kills because I was like "I took way too much damage, no way this is an A Rank."

And it WAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Okay, the Dominion Rod can summon one of two statues it seems, either Green Spinny Thing or Hammer Dude. Doing Strong Attack alone cycles between Hammer, Spinny, and Off. Hammer always comes out from C3 and C4, whereas C2/C5/C6 seem to end with the Spinny guy. C6 actually has Zelda ride the Spinny and then use the Hammer dude after, though, so it might just not switch at all. I can't see a reason to ever not have a statue active yet.

• Locked thread