Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Gounads posted:

My kid uses my old iPad. It's still mine, but if it breaks, oh well. Best of both worlds.

This. I've had pretty good experience with Apple products. As in... they last me a very long time. So I recommend a second hand iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quick update on the craniosynostosis issue: My wife just had a follow-up for the xrays we had taken of Arden last week, and they apparently show absolutely NO issue whatsoever! :toot::toot::toot: Now, we still have an appointment on December 4th at the Children's General here in the city (Montreal), for a second opinion, but I'm like.... 95% relieved.

It does beg the question, though, as to why he's trembling here and there, but if it's just one of those things that happens to kids once in a while, I'm fine with that.

So loving happy and relieved right now.

I'm unsure what this means, does it mean he hasn't got craniosynostosis? Or does it mean he still has that (and still requires surgery) but it hasn't had tim to have any negative effects?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm unsure what this means, does it mean he hasn't got craniosynostosis? Or does it mean he still has that (and still requires surgery) but it hasn't had tim to have any negative effects?

Sorry for it not being clear, rereading it now, I could have written it better; he does NOT have craniosynostosis! His skull is, aside from a a bit of a deformity on the right side, growing normally and none of the sutures have fused early.

Here he is, yesterday, filled with Christmas cheer :3: (linked because it's a huge pic)

http://imgur.com/78n1GQo

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 24, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's great news, sounds like something to keep a close watch on in the future though, but I assume that's exactly what they're doing anyway. That picture is seriously :3:

The Grumpy Snail
Feb 15, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

He's 9 months. He can crawl properly, belly off the ground. He's just not very good at it yet. He still wants to go backwards more than forward.

My daughter did this for a week or so, then Grandad came over with a crawling Minnie Mouse. Two days later she was crawling all over the place.

Fisher-Price Disney Baby: Minnie Mouse Musical Touch 'n Crawl https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6N0JKM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_X.8Cub0YRXXTQ

I don't see a Mickey version, if you're picky about that type of thing. I fully believe this toy taught her to crawl.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So my oldest just turned 4. He has been in diapers his whole life, except for a few brief blips of failed potty training attempts. At his 4-year check-up, the nurse practitioner told me he needs to be potty-trained within 6 months.

I usually don't feel immense guilt or second-guess my parenting choices, but hearing that really socked me in the gut. My kid has NEVER shown an interest in potty training. We sit him on the little potty morning and night, and he pees most of the time, but he's content to live in diapers and over the past few days we've had him in just diapers and his regular clothes and he has consistently just peed himself and went along with his day. When asked if he wet himself he looks around and then eventually confesses he did, and we make him change his own peed-on clothes and wipe up any messes - but he just doesn't seem to care! We watched him stop running, open his legs, wet himself, then continue walking down a path without saying a word or asking to be changed or go to the bathroom or anything.

All the advice I've heard and read said that kids will potty train at their own pace. I was perfectly happy to let him continue on in diapers as long as he wanted to, as he's not in daycare and there are no other pressing reasons to train him, but now that I've been called out by someone in our pediatrician's office I'm really drowning in guilt, self-doubt at my parenting skills, and unreasonable frustration with my toddler. If he doesn't care about pissing himself, why should I? I mean, this is seriously loving up my family vacation, I'm a moody rear end in a top hat trying to digest this whole situation.

Anyone have any advice or words of encouragement? He's a really awesome, articulate, wonderful little dude. No health problems, he just doesn't mind pissing/pooping his pants!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

VorpalBunny posted:

Anyone have any advice or words of encouragement? He's a really awesome, articulate, wonderful little dude. No health problems, he just doesn't mind pissing/pooping his pants!

I'm in a bit of the same boat with my son who is just about to turn 3. He is vehemently against sitting on the potty. He says he is scared of it, even a child-sized one. Doesn't seem to care about being wet/poopy either. He will actually lie about it if he is poopy and we ask him. My wife is very anxious/guilty about all of this, and he's not even 3 yet. I say he will go at his own pace, but he is in daycare and has actually been unable to move up from the class he is in because he is not potty trained. This may become an issue soon. Everything I have read suggests that if we try to force the issue it will only end up making things worse and cause him to have even more problems with this in the future. We have tried all sorts of positive reinforcements at times he has rarely agreed to sit on the potty. One time almost a year ago he actually pooped on the potty, but more and more lately he seems more resistant to even trying. He is the same as yours in terms of otherwise being a pretty good, bright kid with no health problems. Not really sure that helps you much, but if you figure something out that works, let me know.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
This is more of a single parent question. My daughter is two in January, and her mother and I aren't together. The last few times I've picked her up, she's cried, and asked for "mommy" even though it's my time. It's somewhat challenging the first hour or two, and killing me to hear her cry for her mother, while she's with me. I know she doesn't know any better, and these are the first issues she's ever had with a split household. It really sucks to have your daughter cry for her mom, when it's the first time you've seen her in a week :(

Anyone have suggestions for how to help her with the transition/help me not feel horrible when she's crying for her mom? She's fine the next morning, but it's still tough at times.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our oldest boy is just over three and doesn't want to potty train very much either. Pooping seems to be biggest problem, he starts crying for a diaper rather than using the potty. We've tried to get him to try underwear, but he adamantly refuses to try that. He'll pee if we remind him to sit on the potty, but doesn't initiate the process on his own. Don't have any advice for either of you, but it is something we are struggling with too. And his daycare is getting antsy about it, they said they are not going to let him move to the preschool with the other kids his age until he's potty trained.

sullat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 27, 2014

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

momtartin posted:

Anyone have suggestions for how to help her with the transition/help me not feel horrible when she's crying for her mom? She's fine the next morning, but it's still tough at times.

Got no helpful suggestions, I've no experience with this situation, I just want to reassure you that kids with both parents together in the same house do this as well, and say that feeling horrible about things that can't be helped is an integral part of being a parent :)
This will pay off later, when you've got a close relationship with your daughter because you've been there for here since she was little. You're doing a good job!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

VorpalBunny posted:

So my oldest just turned 4. He has been in diapers his whole life, except for a few brief blips of failed potty training attempts. At his 4-year check-up, the nurse practitioner told me he needs to be potty-trained within 6 months.

I usually don't feel immense guilt or second-guess my parenting choices, but hearing that really socked me in the gut. My kid has NEVER shown an interest in potty training. We sit him on the little potty morning and night, and he pees most of the time, but he's content to live in diapers and over the past few days we've had him in just diapers and his regular clothes and he has consistently just peed himself and went along with his day. When asked if he wet himself he looks around and then eventually confesses he did, and we make him change his own peed-on clothes and wipe up any messes - but he just doesn't seem to care! We watched him stop running, open his legs, wet himself, then continue walking down a path without saying a word or asking to be changed or go to the bathroom or anything.

All the advice I've heard and read said that kids will potty train at their own pace. I was perfectly happy to let him continue on in diapers as long as he wanted to, as he's not in daycare and there are no other pressing reasons to train him, but now that I've been called out by someone in our pediatrician's office I'm really drowning in guilt, self-doubt at my parenting skills, and unreasonable frustration with my toddler. If he doesn't care about pissing himself, why should I? I mean, this is seriously loving up my family vacation, I'm a moody rear end in a top hat trying to digest this whole situation.

So, for our eldest, what got him to "see the light" was more peer interaction. You only ever hear about peer pressure forcing kids to do drugs or something, but seeing more of his peers shed the shackles of diapers is what enticed him. For our youngest, we were training for a long while, but ultimately, he finally self-trained one day when we told him he couldn't go to Smäland in Ikea until he was toilet trained. Suddenly, magically, he was more than willing to, which really means that he had been for a while, he just hadn't seen any benefit to actually putting it into regular practice.

That'd be my advice - make sure he's interacting with friends who have already toilet-trained, and try to point out opportunities for fun for those who do it. And, in the grand scheme of things, I think we as adults imagine our own social fears and anxieties for our children - in my experience, kids are surprisingly OK with going in their underwear, even after successful training. Its frustrating when your child is having a difficult time getting trained, it's almost mind-bogglingly trying when your kid pees himself because he was watching a YouTube video (or, gently caress, maybe I'm just raising two goons-in-training).

In short, you're doing OK, your kid is perfectly normal, no matter what a cranky nurse has said (if it was a serious issue, they'd address it more than a flippant "get him trained already"), and he'll get there.

momtartin posted:

This is more of a single parent question. My daughter is two in January, and her mother and I aren't together. The last few times I've picked her up, she's cried, and asked for "mommy" even though it's my time. It's somewhat challenging the first hour or two, and killing me to hear her cry for her mother, while she's with me. I know she doesn't know any better, and these are the first issues she's ever had with a split household. It really sucks to have your daughter cry for her mom, when it's the first time you've seen her in a week :(

So, I know it's not much consolation, but kids are pretty good at crying for their moms. I remember that my kids, if they got in trouble or something when my wife was at work, crying "mommy!" over and over, even though they were certainly old enough to know that she wasn't around. So, I don't think it's an issue with it being a split household or anything, I think it's just a pretty normal reaction. Doesn't make it hurt any less, though. I know that, when handing the boys off to their father before I adopted them, the only way they wouldn't end up in balls of tears for their mom was for her to not be there (even when they were excited to go see him!). I don't know if it's an option in your situation, but sometimes having a grandparent do the handoff can work better in that regard.

If anything, take solace in the fact that you're doing the right thing by being a part of her life, and that you feel the way you do when she cries out. Both good signs that you're doing the best you can.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

In short, you're doing OK, your kid is perfectly normal, no matter what a cranky nurse has said (if it was a serious issue, they'd address it more than a flippant "get him trained already"), and he'll get there.

I don't know, in the next six months seems like a very reasonable hard deadline since I assume he'll be starting kindergarten in the fall.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

VorpalBunny posted:

Does he have a family member he looks up to, like a grandma or something? I tried constantly to encourage Chris, who just turned three, to use the potty and he had no interest... and then damned if Grammy didn't have him peeing in the potty perfectly with two days of visiting her.

Now pooping on the other hand, that's going to take a bit longer...

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Papercut posted:

I don't know, in the next six months seems like a very reasonable hard deadline since I assume he'll be starting kindergarten in the fall.

Not where we live. He still has 1 1/2 years until kindergarten.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Any advice for getting an 18 month old not afraid of vacuum cleaners? Especially the roomba. I need to vacuum sometimes without having to have him on the other side of the house. With the roomba hald the time he's the one who goes over and presses the button anyway and then runs away screaming. What I've tried is just showing him how it works, or using exposure to it, by having it run and me sitting there like it's no big deal, but he hates it so much.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Any idea why he's scared of it? Is it the loud noise, or something else?

I don't have a whole lot of advice, because the vacuum hasn't really bothered our daughter very much. Though my wife also tells her that there's going to be a loud noise whenever she's going to vacuum. Maybe putting forward a little warning might help, if it's the loud noise?

One other option is to just spend more time with that sort of therapy where you expose him to it. Show him the vacuum cleaner, maybe explain how it works and why it makes a lot of noise. While18 months is too young for really understanding it, it might help comfort him.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

greatn posted:

Any advice for getting an 18 month old not afraid of vacuum cleaners? Especially the roomba. I need to vacuum sometimes without having to have him on the other side of the house. With the roomba hald the time he's the one who goes over and presses the button anyway and then runs away screaming. What I've tried is just showing him how it works, or using exposure to it, by having it run and me sitting there like it's no big deal, but he hates it so much.

Aww, poor thing! My 17 month old loves it when I bring out the hoover, she tries to ride it around like a horse while mashing the buttons :3: I suppose my only advice is try to appreciate the fact that at least he isn't turning the hoover on and off constantly while you try to use it. In return I'll try to appreciate her lack of fear when I'm shouting "turn it back on!" for the nth time.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 30, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ni

greatn posted:

Maybe play with it/interact with it like a toy? Make it seem attractive to him instead of utilitarian?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
We recently got a new toy that moves and makes noise, and it scared our 6 months old for a while. We just set it near some of her favorite toys and let it sit there for a day. The next day she was totally fine with it. Maybe try something like that?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My one year old was terrified of the vacuum from about six months of age. What worked to get her unscared was to have her dad stand outside the open door of the room while he held her and I vacuumed. She would watch me, cry, but her dad would comfort her. Over time, she became less distressed and he would still hold her but now we're at the point where she will sit next to him on the lounge while I vacuum around them and while she's still on edge, she's come a long way from the terrified screaming. It did take months to get to this stage, but it's totally doable. Just take it slowly and you'll get there :)

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
i've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself
Hi thread!
I have a question for multi-lingual families. Between my husband and I we speak 3 languages. My first language is English and my second language is Arabic, while his first language is Italian and his second is English. We live in Italy and we have 11 month old twins.

The kids spend 90% of their time with me and I speak to them mainly in English but sometimes some Arabic words slip in (I grew up with a bit of a mishmash of the two so it's kind of how I naturally speak with family). Husband speaks to them mostly in Italian but since he and I speak in English to each other it is definitely the dominant language of our household, even though we live in a non-English speaking country!

As you you can see it's all a bit confusing and I'm worried about the effect this is going to have on the twins' speech. So far they're just babbling with a lot of 'mamamam' and 'babababab' and 'dadadada' not really directed towards anyone or anything in particular.

Everything I've read about the subject suggests that each parent stick to one language, but as I mentioned before sometimes Arabic words inadvertently slip into my speech. Plus, when they start kindergarten/school it will be in Italian. Will this be problematic for the twins, or will it just sort itself out naturally? Any advice or input is appreciated :)

Edit: just to clarify, we would like them to speak all 3 languages as fluently as possible eventually.

luna piena fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 1, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Babbling is completely normal for 11 month olds. My son said one word right before his first birthday. I think the cutoff my ped looks for is speaks one word by 15 months. Signing counts as words if they are signing.

Do they understand some of what you are saying?

I believe I read a while ago that kids that are regularly exposed to more than one language are slower to get started speaking but once they start they catch up quickly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
A friend of mine is a French teacher in the US. She deliberately goes back and forth between English and French in her house. Her daughter is a happy, well-adjusted 6-year-old, and is now bi-lingual. Her father, if I recall, does not know French, ironically enough.

Many of my colleagues in India have similarly multi-lingual households.

I am neither a teacher nor a linguist, but if you want your child to know all three languages, then I would say, "Speak all three languages."

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I was raised by German-speaking parents in the US, and similarly to your situation it was 80% German in the house; I spoke basically only German until my first day of preschool at age 3. I have no memory of it, but my mom tells me I was terribly angry that none of the other kids had any idea what I was trying to say to them. Within a month I spoke nothing but English! (To this day, my German is loving scheisse.)

Very young children are language sponges. I wouldn't think it will cause your kids any trouble in the long run, but I can only speak from my own experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our children are exposed to a combo of mainly swedish and vietnamese (via the mother and her parents who never really picked up the local language very well when they moved here in the 80s), finnish and english will also be included later on.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
Thanks for the responses! Sorry I don't know how to quote peoples' posts..

They don't really signal stuff but they do seem to understand certain words like 'water' 'Luna' (our dog's name), and they definitely know their own names. They also seem to have their own secret language between them sometimes!

I guess we'll just go along as we are and see how it turns out. I can't wait to see what their first words will turn out to be!

Thanks again!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Here it's mainly just "mama" but they started thay some months ago and haven't really said more, 14.5 months now, but we get to remove 2.5 months from that due to them being premature. Both are up and walking using supports now, or those wheelbarrow like thingies, and fighting each other, twins are great :)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sheri posted:

I believe I read a while ago that kids that are regularly exposed to more than one language are slower to get started speaking but once they start they catch up quickly.

Totally this. They've got more to sort out, so it takes a little longer to get going :) Definitely get them evaluated by a professional if their language development concerns you, but it's well established that more languages at home often equal slightly later talking.

You're doing them a great service by learning them three languages from day one - in addition to the practical advantages, being bi- or trilingual from infancy results in some pretty awesome brain development. More-than-one-lingual children regularly score higher in other areas of learning.

Just keep speaking all the languages around them and to them. You're giving them an amazing gift :)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

luna piena posted:

They also seem to have their own secret language between them sometimes!

Twin talk (cryptophasia) is pretty common. My friend's twins kept their language going between themselves until age 4 or so. Wacky stuff.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

luna piena posted:

Thanks for the responses! Sorry I don't know how to quote peoples' posts..

They don't really signal stuff but they do seem to understand certain words like 'water' 'Luna' (our dog's name), and they definitely know their own names. They also seem to have their own secret language between them sometimes!

I guess we'll just go along as we are and see how it turns out. I can't wait to see what their first words will turn out to be!

Thanks again!

Twinspeak is a recognized phenomenon, but it occasionally shows itself with close siblings as well. My two youngest are 18 months apart, and for a couple years had their own babbling language understandable by only them.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
It's good to hear that learning more than one language has so many benefits! It's also good to hear that it takes slightly longer for multi-lingual babies. I guess I was just wondering because we have a bunch of friends with babies all born within a few weeks of each other and some of them are really starting to build up their (Italian) vocabularies.

Twins are totally a trip though, I agree! Especially now that they're really starting to interact with each other. Speaking of, parents of twins: what is your level of involvement in their disputes? They get along really well for the most part but Leo is bigger and stronger than Laila and he knows it and uses it to his advantage, like taking things from her while she's playing with them, or grabbing her pacifier from her mouth even if he already has one. I try to leave it to them to settle it but sometimes I feel like I have to step in, and it's usually to help her rather than him. Thoughts?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

luna piena posted:

Hi thread!
I have a question for multi-lingual families. Between my husband and I we speak 3 languages. My first language is English and my second language is Arabic, while his first language is Italian and his second is English. We live in Italy and we have 11 month old twins.

The kids spend 90% of their time with me and I speak to them mainly in English but sometimes some Arabic words slip in (I grew up with a bit of a mishmash of the two so it's kind of how I naturally speak with family). Husband speaks to them mostly in Italian but since he and I speak in English to each other it is definitely the dominant language of our household, even though we live in a non-English speaking country!

As you you can see it's all a bit confusing and I'm worried about the effect this is going to have on the twins' speech. So far they're just babbling with a lot of 'mamamam' and 'babababab' and 'dadadada' not really directed towards anyone or anything in particular.

Everything I've read about the subject suggests that each parent stick to one language, but as I mentioned before sometimes Arabic words inadvertently slip into my speech. Plus, when they start kindergarten/school it will be in Italian. Will this be problematic for the twins, or will it just sort itself out naturally? Any advice or input is appreciated :)

Edit: just to clarify, we would like them to speak all 3 languages as fluently as possible eventually.

Kids do just fine with multilingual families, there is sometimes a bit of a delay, but not enough to worry about. My little sisters kid is fluent in Farsi, English, and French. But she is picky, she only speaks Farsi to Baba and the Persian aunts and uncles, and only speaks French in school and to her dad, and only speaks English to me and her mom. If I speak French to her, she answers back in English.

All her toys play in English though.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
:supaburn: What's that? What are they making? What's that, what's that, what'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthat is that wood, is that string, what'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthat!?!?!?!?!?

If you two would shut the gently caress up for one nanosecond and listen to the narrator you would know what How It's Made is making goddamnit already!

gently caress!

That is all. I feel better. Today was a surprise snow [ice] day. Also, I spent most of today looking for two distinct Legos that were critical to the Earth continuing to turn. I did not find them. Seriously, gently caress snow days.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Choadmaster posted:

I was raised by German-speaking parents in the US, and similarly to your situation it was 80% German in the house; I spoke basically only German until my first day of preschool at age 3. I have no memory of it, but my mom tells me I was terribly angry that none of the other kids had any idea what I was trying to say to them. Within a month I spoke nothing but English! (To this day, my German is loving scheisse.)

Very young children are language sponges. I wouldn't think it will cause your kids any trouble in the long run, but I can only speak from my own experience.

This was my experience as well except replace German with Russian. Today my Russian is just good enough to ask where the bathroom and maybe order a cheeseburger at McDonald's.

On the plus side, in college I had a math proffesor with a thick Russian accent and no one else in the class could understand her...:smug:

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
We're trying to raise ours on both Russian and English, where my husband does mostly Russian and I do mostly English. Our toddler spoke his first words on time but his progress slowed after that and he's been narrowly avoiding a referral to a speech therapist ever since. He basically speaks a blend of both languages, or he'll talk about some subjects in Russian and others in English. Our pediatrician chalked his delay up to the two languages, though there are lots of studies out there with varying conclusions on the subject.

Our 9-month-old just got a referral to early intervention because he isn't even babbling yet, but the ped thinks that's due to his prematurity rather than hearing two languages at this point. I guess we'll see how things go with him. It ought to be hugely advantageous in the long run.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Update on the behavior issues with the 5 year old. Therapist agreed about the ADHD diagnosis and wife finally conceded to do the scale testing. We both did our surveys and her teacher did one as well. We go next Thursday to follow up and consider treatment options. I know she's not a fan of the medication route, but I was ADHD at her age and beyond (still am as an adult) so I'm kinda pushing for that given how alternative OT therapies have kinda failed.

I'm just glad we're getting somewhere with this and there's a light at the end of a very defiant hyperactive tunnel.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Ansiktsburk posted:

Our 9-month-old just got a referral to early intervention because he isn't even babbling yet, but the ped thinks that's due to his prematurity rather than hearing two languages at this point. I guess we'll see how things go with him. It ought to be hugely advantageous in the long run.

Our premie was in a similar situation.

If you can, make sure to be there for the early intervention evaluation. It blew our minds a few times when they would ask our kid to do something, we'd think "no way can he do that", and then he did it no-problem.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Kodilynn posted:

Update on the behavior issues with the 5 year old. Therapist agreed about the ADHD diagnosis and wife finally conceded to do the scale testing. We both did our surveys and her teacher did one as well. We go next Thursday to follow up and consider treatment options. I know she's not a fan of the medication route, but I was ADHD at her age and beyond (still am as an adult) so I'm kinda pushing for that given how alternative OT therapies have kinda failed.

I'm just glad we're getting somewhere with this and there's a light at the end of a very defiant hyperactive tunnel.

When I did that for my kids, they handed me the "how annoying is your kid 1-5" test on a Concerta clipboard, with a Ritilin pen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone have any experience with those child alarm clocks? The ones that ate not designed yo wake up your child, but rather to let them know when it is OK to get up. My 1.5 year old sleeps through the night almost all the time now, but sometimes wakes up at 4 in the morning. 6 or later would be ideal. I'm wondering if he's mature enough to look over at the blue toy alarm and see "Oh its still bedtime", then when it turns orange or whatever "I can get up now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

greatn posted:

Anyone have any experience with those child alarm clocks? The ones that ate not designed yo wake up your child, but rather to let them know when it is OK to get up. My 1.5 year old sleeps through the night almost all the time now, but sometimes wakes up at 4 in the morning. 6 or later would be ideal. I'm wondering if he's mature enough to look over at the blue toy alarm and see "Oh its still bedtime", then when it turns orange or whatever "I can get up now".

We got one. It was the best decision we ever made. Our child actually accepts "Its still bedtime" from an arbitrary timepiece, but not mom and dad.

It is pretty cute though, when I kiss her goodnight and say that she's going to have a great day tomorrow she blurts "Its going to be orange!!" Yes sweetheart, it will be orange and then you can get up and bug us all you want.