Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
*sips a cool beer*

yeah this thread is The Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Adnar posted:

Another great day in Australian-Islamic relations.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s-1227134304876

I'm a fan of the fella who is opposing it only for infrastructure reasons.

Antifa made a good showing, which is impressive as they're not exactly on home turf out there

The screaming subhuman in the black shirt and resembling a larger order of the ape family looks like the dude who assaulted me unprovoked in a Central Coast pub just after the Cronulla riots.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

The screaming subhuman in the black shirt and resembling a larger order of the ape family looks like the dude who assaulted me unprovoked in a Central Coast pub just after the Cronulla riots.

Was this after you wasted a bunch of his time at Harvey Norman?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amethyst posted:

Ok I'm sorry for using that term

Gossip circle
You actually think that's a fix for the problem :allears:

CrazyTolradi posted:

Which reminds me back when Woolworths restricted debit cards from using the credit function with their checkouts, claiming it was to "cut costs". Interesting as they're part of a group promoting the use of EFTPOS and apparently get some decrease in the amount they'd normally have to pay per EFTPOS transaction.

Basically, a "welfare card" looks like an electronic version of a food stamp system, and it'd use EFTPOS but only at certain locations? I can see why banks would want to force people on to that instead of those pesky cards with the Visa/Mastercard debit functions.

Thanks, that clarifies things for me. Although, I'm sure banks would like a way to get at least some section of the community stuck using EFTPOS, because even though it still maintains a majority level of use (according to some figures from 2012), it's likely lost a LOT of ground to things like PayWave.
It's tangential to your point but people forget that there are significant costs in cash transactions and these costs increase the further you get from the Reserve Bank. EFTPOS in remote communities is cheaper than cash for the vendors and the banks.

-/-

Remember yesterday I summoned the ghost of Neil James (' media profile)? :tinfoil:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/adf-abuse-panel/5920986

quote:

ADF abuse: panel Thursday 27 November 2014 6:44 AM

The Abbott Government has promised to 'carefully consider' whether or not to hold a Royal Commission into abuse at the Australian Defence Force Academy. Two reports presented to Parliament on Wednesday have recommended a Royal Commission take place, after receiving over 1600 complaints of abuse across the defence force. They identified over 1100 alleged abusers who are still either serving in the ADF or working in the Department of Defence.

Guests

Naomi Brooks - Former ADFA cadet
Neil James - Executive Director of the Australian Defence Association

Listen to the audio. Highlights :- James thinking a Royal Commission will clear ADFA's name :laugh: James "These things happened a long time ago and aren't happening now." Gratten - "When was your rape Naomi?" Naomi - "2009." James has full confidence in the Defence Minister despite his canoe comments.

I think I might need to get my Fatwa back on.

Hanlon's Razor : - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

It is tempting to suggest that David Johnston's canoe 'gaff' and the timing of the release of these ADFA abuse reports is no coincidence. However based on the form of the entire frontbench that is giving them way too much credit.

quote:

27 Nov 2014 The Australian CAMERON STEWART

Air Warfare Destroyers cursed by infighting, says ‘rescue report’

THE confidential plan to rescue the nation’s largest defence project, the $8.5 billion construction of Air Warfare Destroyers, has been sabotaged by bitter infighting, risking a fresh blowout in costs and casting a pall over the future of naval shipbuilding in Australia. The AWD rescue report, commissioned by the government and obtained by The Australian, warned in April that failure to take action to fix the troubled program within six months would trigger fresh delays and costs, and would “debilitate” the future of naval shipbuilding. Almost eight months later, the key recommendations of the plan — written by former US Navy secretary Don Winter and the former Australian shipbuilder John White — have not been implemented because of infighting between government departments, defence contractors and the ship’s Spanish designer.

The revelation comes amid growing tensions about the future of naval shipbuilding, after the Defence Minister, David Johnston said the government’s AWD shipbuilder, ASC, could not be trusted to build a canoe. The comments increase political pressure on Senator Johnston, who was forced to apologise yesterday. Tony Abbott declared his full confidence in the minister. The government has refused to release the Winter report, but a confidential draft copy of its summary is scathing of mismanagement of the project, which has led to costs blowing out by about $600 million and the delivery of the ships delayed by 21 months.

As revealed by The Australian in July, the report calls for the ASC to be sacked from the AWD project and for British defence giant BAE Industries to be installed to rescue it. In a confidential draft letter sent to Senator Johnston and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann in April, Professor Winter and Dr White warned this new shipbuilding management team would need to be “imposed within the next three to six months”. “If such action is not implemented, the AWD program will certainly continue to founder and incur cost and schedule increases (and) future planned naval programs will start under a nonperformance cloud that will debilitate them as well,” said the letter.

In June, the government said it accepted all the report’s recommendations in principle, but since then the Finance Department has backed away from the key recommendation of installing BAE as the “sole source selection of AWD management functions”. Instead, it has failed to finalise any agreement with BAE and has placed only a small advisory team from the AWD’s Spanish designer Navantia and defence company Raytheon into ASC — a move that falls far short of the sweeping and specific recommendations of the Winter report. A senior shipbuilding source said: “It is a complete clusterf..k, they have totally ignored the Winter report, which they commissioned to help get them out of this mess.” The move to install BAE Systems as the AWD manager has been undermined by ship designer Navantia, which has tried to protect is intellectual property from BAE, which it views as a competitor.

The plan has also been undermined by infighting between the Defence and Finance departments. Finance pushed back against a wholesale takeover of ASC by BAE — a solution favoured by Defence — apparently fearing it would undermine ASC’s eventual sale price when it is privatised. The government is still negotiating with BAE, but only for a small team of about eight advisers to work at the ASC’s AWD site in Adelaide, not as the sole management entity. The impasse leaves the AWD project exposed to yet more cost and schedule delays amid growing fears the budget for the three ships could eventually blow out by more than $1 billion.

Senator Johnston, who has labelled the AWD program a “disgraceful mess”, said in June that if it was not fixed properly it would jeopardise government support for shipbuilding projects, including the plan to build eight frigates in Australia. Fears about the costs and capability of the naval shipbuilding industry, which employs about 6000 people, led the government this year to consider buying its submarines offshore rather than build them in Adelaide as promised. The Winter report calls for the ASC to be limited to sustaining the Collins-class submarines rather than building warships. It says there should ultimately be only two shipbuilding corporations in Australia, one focused on warships and the other on submarines. The report calls for the AWD program to be rebaselined for the third time to “provide a realistic schedule and a revised budget”.

It cautions against the privatisation of ASC in the short term, saying its reputation needs to recover from the AWD debacle before it can fetch a decent price. “The value of the ASC surface shipbuilding business and facilities could be better realised when AWD Project performance has been demonstrated,” it says. Senator Johnston is under pressure after being rebuked by the Prime Minister and politicians in South Australia for his comments that ASC could not be trusted to build a canoe. Senator Johnston apologised yesterday for his remarks, which he said were a “rhetorical flourish” directed at the legacy of problems that had emerged at ASC under the previous Labor government.

Open for Business!

Muppet Government at its finest.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Tony's touting the new Cybercrime Security Center and says that in the period of 1990-1993, he was without a computer and felt like a "non-person". Technology is incredibly important and indicative of the social and business changes experienced over the last 2 decades.

..which is, of course, why he's killed the NBN and not a single member of his government has expressed any willingness to actually do anything for the tech sector, nor has any knowledge about IT at all.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Murodese posted:

Tony's touting the new Cybercrime Security Center and says that in the period of 1990-1993, he was without a computer and felt like a "non-person". Technology is incredibly important and indicative of the social and business changes experienced over the last 2 decades.

..which is, of course, why he's killed the NBN and not a single member of his government has expressed any willingness to actually do anything for the tech sector, nor has any knowledge about IT at all.

Guess Tony was a big deal on the Liberal party BBS.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cartoon posted:

You actually think that's a fix for the problem :allears:

Eh I'm sick of talking to you loudmouth idiots, frankly. You don't seem even slightly interested in the topic at hand, just getting stupid little gotchas from The Enemy

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

'Tony Abbott doesn't portray himself as a moral, family-values man.' *reads pre-election policy brochure containing seven pictures of Tony Abbott with his wife who had, at the time, pissed off to Europe for a holiday after literally changing the locks on their house*
Do you have any sources for the bolded part? This is the first I've heard of it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I remember that. There was a thing during the election about somebody having to go and get the keys from her in Europe.

e; Can't find it. From memory, it was on Twitter from a reputable source (Latika?)

Murodese fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 27, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Eh I'm sick of talking to you loudmouth idiots, frankly. You don't seem even slightly interested in the topic at hand, just getting stupid little gotchas from The Enemy

Glad to hear you're going to stop posting :)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Bit of old news, but I don't remember seeing it posted anywhere.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-21/asylum-seeker-boat-lands-on-small-micronesian-island-tyring-to-/5908060

Apparently smugglers didn't provide any food or water and and asked the captain to take them to Yap.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

At a conference, there's a dude from the ACC talking. It's apparent why Brandis wants the metadata stuff to go through - the ACC pays $5-10k to a telco for 3 months of metadata history on a single phone line.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amethyst posted:

I'm glad it was me that finally pushed you over the edge. I'm kinda tired of this custom title too.

Suitable non-gendered word choices would have included "Rumour Mill", "Unfounded Speculation", "Unworthy Slur".

In this particular case using an MRA vocabulary seriously undermines you very valid point about ethics in the reporting of private relations. Before I took to criticising NTATA's daughter's character and behaviour he made them public property to serve his own political agenda. At that point how they live up to his narrative for them becomes an issue. This is also now true of his relationship status. This is quite different to how Gillard was attacked. She never made her relationship or family status a matter for her political agenda (Probably suspecting that fuckwits in the Australian public wouldn't like what they heard.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Sooo uh

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...126-11umeh.html

What exactly happens when the Senate summons you and you go "nah gently caress off"?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cartoon posted:

I'm glad it was me that finally pushed you over the edge. I'm kinda tired of this custom title too.

Suitable non-gendered word choices would have included "Rumour Mill", "Unfounded Speculation", "Unworthy Slur".

In this particular case using an MRA vocabulary seriously undermines you very valid point about ethics in the reporting of private relations. Before I took to criticising NTATA's daughter's character and behaviour he made them public property to serve his own political agenda. At that point how they live up to his narrative for them becomes an issue. This is also now true of his relationship status. This is quite different to how Gillard was attacked. She never made her relationship or family status a matter for her political agenda (Probably suspecting that fuckwits in the Australian public wouldn't like what they heard.

I already apologized for my initial careless usage of a gendered term cartoon. I don't think it was a transgression that required this ludicrous attempt to frame me as an MRA, but it reveals an awful lot about your vacuous partisan politics.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what happened to this :(

Amethyst posted:

Eh I'm sick of talking to you loudmouth idiots, frankly.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Amethyst posted:

I already apologized for my initial careless usage of a gendered term cartoon. I don't think it was a transgression that required this ludicrous attempt to frame me as an MRA, but it reveals an awful lot about your vacuous partisan politics.

You apologised and then doubled down with another gendered term though. Do you not see that?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

SadisTech posted:

Sooo uh

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...126-11umeh.html

What exactly happens when the Senate summons you and you go "nah gently caress off"?

quote:

Offences by witnesses
The Senate’s Privilege Resolutions set out actions by witnesses which may have the tendency or effect of obstructing the Senate or its committees in conducting inquiries, and which may therefore be treated as contempts (Resolution 6(12), (13), (14) and (15)). These offences include:

refusing to make an oath or affirmation or to give some similar undertaking to tell the truth when required to do so
refusing without reasonable excuse to answer a question
giving false or misleading evidence
failing to attend or to produce documents when required to do so
avoiding service of an order by the Senate or a committee
destroying or tampering with documents required by the Senate or a committee.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

IslamoNazi posted:

You apologised and then doubled down with another gendered term though. Do you not see that?

Gossip circle is not a gendered term, come on

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody remind me whats horrible about Chris Bowen please?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

katlington posted:

The Malaysia Solution

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

katlington posted:

http://www.news.com.au/national/immigration-minister-chris-bowens-deportation-of-asylum-seeker-illegal/story-e6frfkp9-1226601803312

quote:

AN ASYLUM seeker facing deportation to Afghanistan after a decision by Immigration Minister Chris Bowen has won a reprieve, after a court found the immigration department's bid to remove him was not carried out legally or fairly.

"It is inexplicable why the minister accepts that the processes he has put in place must accord with procedural fairness and yet rejects the necessity for him to consider the recommendations and assessments made when making a decision,'' Justice Geoffrey Flick wrote in his reasons for judgment.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3621965.htm

quote:

In 2006 Labor in opposition fought furiously against John Howard's move to excise the Australian mainland from the migration zone and they won.

Six years on the Gillard Government will rush legislation into the Parliament this week to do just that.

The Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the mainland excision is a recommendation of the expert panel on asylum seekers and is legal.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, everything that Morrison has done can be easily traced back to what Bowen did as Immigration Minister during the last years of the last Federal Parliament. Been a disgusting game of one-upmanship

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Stupid word usage aside, Amethyst is right. Treating a stupid rumour about Abbott's separation as 100% fact without any scrap of proof being provided is just as stupid as "Obama is a Kenyan Muslim".

You might as well start calling random people pedophiles, honestly.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man, I knew Amethyst was a bad poster, but I could never remember why. Thanks for reminding me!

Gossip circle isn't a gendered term, huh :allears:

Reminder also that NTATA didn't get to be a priest because he didn't believe in showing compassion to criminals and sinners. Tony Abbott - too lovely a person to even enter the priesthood.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
First page hit on a Google search for "Tony Abbott divorce" is a 2009 article on his push to reintroduce fault-based divorce as a way to strengthen the bedrock of marriage.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tirade posted:

First page hit on a Google search for "Tony Abbott divorce" is a 2009 article on his push to reintroduce fault-based divorce as a way to strengthen the bedrock of marriage.

"Tony Abbott separation" brings up a bunch of blogs which refer to the rumor without attribution.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Reminder also that NTATA didn't get to be a priest because he didn't believe in showing compassion to criminals and sinners. Tony Abbott - too lovely a person to even enter the priesthood.
I thought it wasn't that he didn't "get" to be a priest - as in, he wasn't kicked out - he just decided not to. Maybe he was pushed far enough that he jumped.
For those playing at home, here is the article he wrote two and a bit decades back.

quote:

When I finally quit, on March 27, no one seemed surprised.
Looking back, it seems that I was seeking a spiritual and human excellence to which the Church is no longer sure she aspires. My feeble attempts to recall her to her duty — as I saw it — betrayed a fathomless disappointment at the collapse of a cherished ideal. The same sense of boundless human potential, of man soaring to God’s right hand, which led me toward the priesthood led me away in the end.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

"Tony Abbott separation" brings up a bunch of blogs which refer to the rumor without attribution.

The divorce search brings up a cryptic Bolt blog where he's suggesting that the media is sitting on a rumour of Gillard splitting with Tim. An exact quote: "Would it be a big story if Tony Abbott was getting divorced? I suspect the answer would be yes, yes and yes."

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Was this after you wasted a bunch of his time at Harvey Norman?

Hey dickhead, there's a time for humour and there's a time when it's completely inappropriate.

When a victim of a hate crime is talking about their assault, it's a good indicator it's not the right time for levity. Are you twelve years old?

In all likelihood he's never had a job. He had that air of prisoner's silence about him.

But then, why am I taking to a Queensland redneck who in all likelihood had no ability to empathize with anyone who isn't white?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

T-1000 posted:

I thought it wasn't that he didn't "get" to be a priest - as in, he wasn't kicked out - he just decided not to. Maybe he was pushed far enough that he jumped.
For those playing at home, here is the article he wrote two and a bit decades back.

Yeah, that's it. Either way, it really says a lot about him, I think.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So we're going to restrict what the filthy poors are allowed to buy now, are we? Who wants to bet they'll still be able to spend up on Foxtel?

Fruity Gordo posted:

I guess our position should be that we must simply tolerate the demonisation of politicians who openly live non-heteronormative personal lives because fukt world!, but stone the crows if anyone gets it into their head that it would be appropriate for the press to question pollies who say one thing in front of the cameras and then rub everyone's noses in the fact that they love to do the opposite the second the lenses are capped. The fact that the talk is employed solely to gently caress people over is irrelevant.

Hi, I'm an LNP politician. I will implement needlessly cruel laws that cause suffering to hundreds of thousands of people. I will illegally imprison, in conditions akin to torture, thousands of the asylum seekers we're legally and morally obliged to aid. I will demonise you for anything outside the white heterosexual 'norm' and see you discriminated against daily and do nothing. I will even change the marriage act to enshrine the discrimination against you.

What? Someone pointed out my family's suckling on the public teat and getting cushy arts placements and diplomatic jobs? That's not fair!!!!! :cry:

All politicians should be fair game for everything they loving do. Take one second to remember all the poo poo Abbott's trying to bring in and then tell me I should loving care if he's exposed as the lying cheating sack of poo poo we all know him to be.

Boo loving hoo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Amethyst posted:

Yeah, this entire conversation is deliberately barren and makes me want to die of shame. Why, I could just punch a wall! God, all this bitching!

And what about those black people in the US? I bet if the cops shot a white kid they wouldn't be rioting.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, this entire conversation is deliberately barren and makes me want to die of shame. Why, I could just punch a wall! God, all this bitching!

And what about those black people in the US? I bet if the cops shot a white kid they wouldn't be rioting.

What on earth are you going on about you lunatic?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Gorilla Salad posted:

So we're going to restrict what the filthy poors are allowed to buy now, are we? Who wants to bet they'll still be able to spend up on Foxtel?

Hi, I'm an LNP politician. I will implement needlessly cruel laws that cause suffering to hundreds of thousands of people. I will illegally imprison, in conditions akin to torture, thousands of the asylum seekers we're legally and morally obliged to aid. I will demonise you for anything outside the white heterosexual 'norm' and see you discriminated against daily and do nothing. I will even change the marriage act to enshrine the discrimination against you.

What? Someone pointed out my family's suckling on the public teat and getting cushy arts placements and diplomatic jobs? That's not fair!!!!! :cry:

All politicians should be fair game for everything they loving do. Take one second to remember all the poo poo Abbott's trying to bring in and then tell me I should loving care if he's exposed as the lying cheating sack of poo poo we all know him to be.

Boo loving hoo.

I'd argue that Foxtel is a pretty cost effective way to get a budget friendly way to get your family entertainment. Sure it's poo poo but so is most free to air poo poo.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Poll 5% annual funding cut to ABC: Approve 25 Disapprove 52 #essential

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Amethyst posted:

What on earth are you going on about you lunatic?

Tell me more about how your posts about sweing and gossip circles were free of any context :munch:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Tell me more about how your posts about sweing and gossip circles were free of any context :munch:

You have the reading comprehension of a five year old.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You're right. I should ditch the witch and vote #1 Tony Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

You're right. I should ditch the witch and vote #1 Tony Abbott.

Who are you even talking to

• Locked thread