Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

brynden bloodraven's had a hell of a life in my AGOT game

i won independence as the iron islanders by capturing the targaryen king and his family, who i immediately sold into slavery maybe 20 years before that screenshot. since then brynden somehow managed to escape (he's got the liberator trait next to the former slave one), took refuge on a pirate island and served the pirate lord there as a martial leader while getting married and having a kid

oh and he apparently converted to the old god religion along the way too

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I hope this hasn't been asked 1000 times before but is there any good overall mods for CK2? Anything that gives it more flavour/events would be nice. I heard mixed things about CK2+ but I wouldn't know in detail.

Also while I'm on the subject, is there any mods that make Hellenic religion suck less? The lack of holy war CB denies the fun of 'Retore the old Roman Gods!'

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

SkySteak posted:

I hope this hasn't been asked 1000 times before but is there any good overall mods for CK2? Anything that gives it more flavour/events would be nice. I heard mixed things about CK2+ but I wouldn't know in detail.

Also while I'm on the subject, is there any mods that make Hellenic religion suck less? The lack of holy war CB denies the fun of 'Retore the old Roman Gods!'

the historical improvement project is pretty much it for CK2 nowadays

don't install SWMH or the ARKO interface, install the rest of it and it's great

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
was it a bug or a patch change that all armies everywhere are red and can attack my retinues when in a war (not involving me at all)É

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Lumius posted:

was it a bug or a patch change that all armies everywhere are red and can attack my retinues when in a war (not involving me at all)É

It's a bug that happens sometimes and should get fixed after a restart

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BBJoey posted:

Actually I just did a couple of tests as the Mongols and uh they or at least their special (?) brand of Gavelkind is completely hosed.

Aren't Mongols supposed to start with ultimogeniture or something?

I just started a game as the Mongols, after several failed attempts due to randomly switching to open elective before the last patch fixed that, and it looks like my primary heir is going to inherit everything that matters and the others are just going to get some poo poo in the middle of nowhere and stay under the empire. I have already conquered Persia though and created a bunch of duchies and a couple of kingdoms for my relatives to better oppress the locals. That could possible effect how things get divied up. I'm still playing as the first character so we'll see how things go when old Genghis kicks the bucket.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nckdictator posted:

Also, awkward couples.

Speaking of awkward couples:

This is the son of Tyrion Lannister and Rhaenys Targaryen. (All of Tyrion's children were dwarves, too.)

This is his wife, the daughter of Arys Oakheart and Leyla Hightower.

And these are their children.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

frankenfreak posted:

And these are their children.

I had something similar just now in my weirdass game (If there are no geniuses available to marry my heirs, I marry them to dwarves, I started as France and now I'm conquering my way towards India). Wife gave birth to fraternal twins, the boy is a Dwarf, the girl is Strong.

In other news, just about every DLC except Charlemagne is on sale for half off right now. Is there anything that most people deem absolutely essential?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dareon posted:

I had something similar just now in my weirdass game (If there are no geniuses available to marry my heirs, I marry them to dwarves, I started as France and now I'm conquering my way towards India). Wife gave birth to fraternal twins, the boy is a Dwarf, the girl is Strong.

In other news, just about every DLC except Charlemagne is on sale for half off right now. Is there anything that most people deem absolutely essential?

Legacy of Rome gives you access to Retinues; The Republic lets you play as a Merchant Republic; The Old Gods is just flat-out awesome. Those'd be my big three suggestions. Really, though, it's hard to go wrong with any of them IMO.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I believe they've finally gotten republics fixed. I'm 200+ years into this save, and no issues. Started off at CM with that double count in Ulster, Ireland. Formed a republic in my first rulers lifespan, and now I control every county in the empire. Starting to crack into France, and hopefully I can get a claim on Lombardi to form the HRE. One question though. Does anyone know why standing troops from basically any army want to fight me? We aren't at war, and they don't go out of their way to attack me. They act almost like a peasant revolt in a foreign country. I was allied with Lombardi in a war, and as soon as I offered peace and the war ended, two of my stacks started going at it with the soldiers who were just their allies a day ago. :iiam: Something to do with retinues? Seems strange because even Catholic holy orders are showing as hostile, which I didn't even think they were allowed to be hostile towards other Catholics. Especially when the grandmaster is my goddamn son. I'd like to get it fixed, because right now, I can't build any trade posts in Aquitane or France do to them being "hostile," but there's no yellow marker like you'd see when someone is hostile towards a viking for x amount of days. From all appearances, you'd think we'd be completely at peace. It's really weird.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 26, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Random bug that occasionally occurs, save and reload should fix it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

What's the concensus on the current version of the game? Is it worth me rolling forward from 2.1.6 yet, or is the game still a hilariously broken shitshow as it has been since Charlemagne hit?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I've been playing (beta patches) a merchant republic ironman game starting at the CM bookmark for about 5 weeks (500 years) and I've had no issues or complaints with it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just finished making a shattered world all tribal forced gavelkind mod. Need to test it out to see how well it actually plays out, but it looks fun.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

Just finished making a shattered world all tribal forced gavelkind mod. Need to test it out to see how well it actually plays out, but it looks fun.

If you could tweak this to make it so that other kingdoms and empires grow really quickly, I would play the poo poo out of this. I played a couple games with many tribes and shattered world, and it gets old since no one else can really compete with the player.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edison was a dick posted:

Also, there must be a Pope, which isn't a sure thing if you invade italy with the Tribal Invasion CB.

Wait does tribal invasion somehow take/destroy the Papacy title? It's supposed to always exist even if the Pope becomes unlanded (which is why so many events trigger from the Pope even if he's not involved at all). That seems like a bug to me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't the Pope get a random barony from a random Catholic ruler if Rome is taken?

I once saw the Pope relocate to Croatia when some heathens took Rome. I might have been those heathens, I don't remember.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

frankenfreak posted:

Speaking of awkward couples:

Awkward couples:

And I did this to Arya:

Stannis Baratheon took over the Iron Throne soon after I started the game. I won the War for Independence and imprisoned him. I let him rot in my dungeon for a while and then when I finally ransomed him, for whatever reason he lost his claim and his daughter took over. The Iron Throne balkanized pretty bad after that. Tywin Lannister died of old age, Tyrion was a Black Brother for some reason, and I executed Jaime pretty early on. Stannis executed Cersei at some point during his reign. So Joffrey took over the Westerlands. I fought him over Bloody Vengeance and executed him (personally of course) after winning. Tommen took over and created The Rock. So I figured I might as well have an ally to my south. Sorry, Arya.

Then my Strong Attractive wife Dacey Mormont got passed childbearing age, so I divorced her and married Myrcella. Dacey's still my lover, though.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doesn't the Pope get a random barony from a random Catholic ruler if Rome is taken?

The Papacy is supposed to always exist. If the Pope becomes unlanded, he becomes a "floating" religious head like some of the other religious heads (e.g. the Nestorian/Iconoclast/Miaphysite/etc. heads), and his page says he is "residing" in Rome. If a Catholic ruler controls Rome, I believe there's some kind of event/decision to restore him there. There might be events to land him elsewhere, I haven't personally encountered those.

A tribal invasion shouldn't actually destroy the Papacy; if it does, that's presumably a bug. I have heard, however, that you can get strange effects from an unlanded Pope, like crusades ending immediately upon declaration. I read about that a long time ago, however, and that may not be an issue anymore.

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 27, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Glass Hand posted:

A tribal invasion shouldn't actually destroy the Papacy; if it does, that's presumably a bug. I have heard, however, that you can get strange effects from an unlanded Pope, like crusades ending immediately upon declaration. I read about that a long time ago, however, and that may not be an issue anymore.

The tribal invasion CB will destroy titles that are occupied. Somewhere I have a screenshot of Hungary that successfully invaded Byzantium, and destroyed the Ecumenical Patriarchy.

Unlanded Popes can't call a crusade, because they need land to be able to occupy by the defender. If the Pope becomes unlanded during an active crusade, it automatically sets the WS at -100%.

All of this is from pre-CM, so it's possible it changed with the 2.2 patch.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I worked on South Dakota today for AtE. :toot:

Provinces! Twelve of them!

Duchies! Four of them! 'Brulé' is renamed 'Sicangu' if a Sioux character controls that duchy!

Actual political situation at game start! There's a Sioux kingdom! I'll make it bigger when I'm not lazy anymore!

Also there's the Ghost Dance! I don't know what to do with the Ghost Dance!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Hmm, does yours avoid the "dynasty names not existing" bug from combining the "All Tribal" and "Shattered World" mod direct from steam?

Ofaloaf posted:

Jain-like? Opinion bonuses and peace-time bonuses? Maybe a bonus to prestige and piety for being at peace, alongside a conversion bonus and a decreased revolt chance? Spirit journeys? Not Jain succession, but maybe defensive pagan bonuses?

Certainly should have an actual 'Ghost Dance' decision, at least.

VVV

It says something sad about me that I thought of that before dismissing it as 'at odds with the CK theme'. I blame sleep deprivation.

Do Native Americans get 'Reconquest' casus belli? Or just conquest ones or what?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ofaloaf posted:

Some sort of reference to the Great Ghost Dance would probably make a lot of nerds happy. Maybe make it an Empire-level decision like the HRE/Roman Empire decisions.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Can you mod clothing easily? You after the end guys could go really wild with it if so. I'm imagining some kind of lumberjack shirt with huge epaulettes for noble north easterners, half naked bolo savages for the deep south etc.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ofaloaf posted:

I worked on South Dakota today for AtE. :toot:

Provinces! Twelve of them!

Duchies! Four of them! 'Brulé' is renamed 'Sicangu' if a Sioux character controls that duchy!

Actual political situation at game start! There's a Sioux kingdom! I'll make it bigger when I'm not lazy anymore!

When you guys get out west, I hope you let them finally make the kingdom/empire of cascadia.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mange Mite posted:

When you guys get out west, I hope you let them finally make the kingdom/empire of cascadia.

There's a lot you can do with the area, I can't wait to see what they decide it's going to look like. My personal hope is for the Northwest to be a mix of survivalists, hippies and Bigfoot cultists. California's probably going to be crazy too. It's neat watching things slowly get bigger and bigger. South Dakota's looking good.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wait does tribal invasion somehow take/destroy the Papacy title? It's supposed to always exist even if the Pope becomes unlanded (which is why so many events trigger from the Pope even if he's not involved at all). That seems like a bug to me.

Yep.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I once saw the Pope relocate to Croatia when some heathens took Rome. I might have been those heathens, I don't remember.

Yep, provided the Papacy title still exists.

Glass Hand posted:

The Papacy is supposed to always exist. If the Pope becomes unlanded, he becomes a "floating" religious head like some of the other religious heads (e.g. the Nestorian/Iconoclast/Miaphysite/etc. heads), and his page says he is "residing" in Rome. If a Catholic ruler controls Rome, I believe there's some kind of event/decision to restore him there. There might be events to land him elsewhere, I haven't personally encountered those.

Unlanded Popes are weird, but not broken. vassalise_or_take_under_title_destroy_duchies is the command in question, and it will destroy the Primary Title of the target if you take all their land, so you can destroy the Papacy.

SeaTard posted:

The tribal invasion CB will destroy titles that are occupied. Somewhere I have a screenshot of Hungary that successfully invaded Byzantium, and destroyed the Ecumenical Patriarchy.

Unlanded Popes can't call a crusade, because they need land to be able to occupy by the defender. If the Pope becomes unlanded during an active crusade, it automatically sets the WS at -100%.

All of this is from pre-CM, so it's possible it changed with the 2.2 patch.

If it has, they haven't done it by changing the CB to exclude the papacy.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Dareon posted:

Some sort of reference to the Great Ghost Dance would probably make a lot of nerds happy. Maybe make it an Empire-level decision like the HRE/Roman Empire decisions.

I immediately thought of Shadowrun as well. :awesomelon:

I was playing the Game of Thrones mod and loving the music and I thought of an awesome idea for AtE that would be almost impossible to implement. The music should be a mix of classic rock, pop, rap, heavy metal, really anything ever popular in the states, but all acoustic and with some folksy tweaks. Like, Stairway to Heaven is a classic folk song for the After the End people who don't even know who Led Zeppelin was and wouldn't recognize a Fender if you hit them with it. The version in the game would be played with a fiddle, a banjo, and a cowbell or something.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I never was very good at coloring inside the lines. :downs:

Although now it seems my plan of conquering my way to India may have been a bit ambitious. I'm starting to run into vassal and demesne limits and I've still got Persia to cross. I could actually use some advice, I think. I could pull back and consolidate power in the France region, working up to Emperor of Francia so I'd have more vassals and be able to hand out kingdoms (I have two kingdom titles available to create already). Or I could just go completely :black101: and ignore the penalties, stretching the Fickle Finger of France as far as it will go.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dareon posted:

I never was very good at coloring inside the lines. :downs:

Although now it seems my plan of conquering my way to India may have been a bit ambitious. I'm starting to run into vassal and demesne limits and I've still got Persia to cross. I could actually use some advice, I think. I could pull back and consolidate power in the France region, working up to Emperor of Francia so I'd have more vassals and be able to hand out kingdoms (I have two kingdom titles available to create already). Or I could just go completely :black101: and ignore the penalties, stretching the Fickle Finger of France as far as it will go.

You need to become emperor so that you can have vassal kings, then reorganize your snake into just a handful of viceroyalties instead of many dukes/counts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Check out the Ghost Dance and the Raven Cult from Deadlands. They're absolutely appropriate to the setting and has a lot of basis in real real world movement.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fool_of_sound posted:

Check out the Ghost Dance and the Raven Cult from Deadlands. They're absolutely appropriate to the setting and has a lot of basis in real real world movement.

Just chiming in to say that Deadlands was a good and fun setting.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dareon posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

I'll check these both out, thank you!

I'm also going back and revisiting the idea of implementing the Native American Church at some level, which Sam advocated earlier in devchat and some goons talked about here, but I shot down at the time. It would be cool to add in as well, but the name proper is even longer than that 'Sagrado Corazon' faith we got in, and the main alternative name I can find, 'Peyotism', seems a bit drug-centered. Is there any good source for reading up on the Native American Church which isn't just about their peyote usage, or is that really the main thing going for it? I'm a white guy in rural Michigan, what the gently caress do I know about all this.

e: jesus christ lowtax do you really want me to spend tenfivebux for an avatar that badly

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 27, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You also might want to check out Sweat Lodges. I know in our present day they have a semi-negative reputation among Native Americans but that shouldn't matter for the distant fictional future. It could do stuff like remove illness traits and negative traits while giving you some positive traits in return. Or kill you. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cantorsdust posted:

You need to become emperor so that you can have vassal kings, then reorganize your snake into just a handful of viceroyalties instead of many dukes/counts.

That would need Charlemagne, though. :( Although if I got it, I could just make an empire out of the three kingdoms I've got instead of hauling my retinue and their merc band buddies all the way back from Constantinople.

Ofaloaf posted:

e: jesus christ lowtax do you really want me to spend tenfivebux for an avatar that badly

It's arguably better than TOILETLORD! :v:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm still kinda new to this game and I've got two questions...

First, what is this mercenary army on the top? I started at the 1241 bookmark as the Sultan of Rum, and I've been using this army in almost every war I've fought, but I don't understand exactly what it is, why it's so cheap for it's size, and why it says "raise" instead of "hire." It's won me a ton of wars but it almost feels like cheating. Is this the muslim clown car that I've seen people talk about?

Second, is this common? Most of this is the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate, which are both ruled by reformed Tengris. It's actually pretty concerning, since at this point the Muslim world is basically me, North Africa, and the Arabian peninsula. The Levant, Iraq, and Persia are pretty much lost.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

super fart shooter posted:

I'm still kinda new to this game and I've got two questions...

First, what is this mercenary army on the top? I started at the 1241 bookmark as the Sultan of Rum, and I've been using this army in almost every war I've fought, but I don't understand exactly what it is, why it's so cheap for it's size, and why it says "raise" instead of "hire." It's won me a ton of wars but it almost feels like cheating. Is this the muslim clown car that I've seen people talk about?

Second, is this common? Most of this is the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate, which are both ruled by reformed Tengris. It's actually pretty concerning, since at this point the Muslim world is basically me, North Africa, and the Arabian peninsula. The Levant, Iraq, and Persia are pretty much lost.

That topmost mercenary company is your vassal as the Sultan of Rum, that's why you "raise" them (as you would any other vassal levy), instead of hiring them. They are still mercenaries, so you have to pay them, but they come at a big discount. And yes, having vassal mercenaries is a big advantage. But the Byzantines have the same with the Varangian Guard, so it's nothing unique. And in your current situation you should be very glad to have them.

If the AI reforms the Tengri religion (depending on your start date that's not uncommon, though I have little experience with the later start dates), then the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate become terrifying, because reformed Tengri is one of the strongest religions. Dealing with the Mongols can be very hard, especially if you are new to the game. That's why it's recommended to start somewhere in (Western) Europe. Remember that they have irreplaceable event troops, once those run out they become much weaker. But they are already very big, so it won't be easy to stand against them regardless.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard of that. Is there any way to vassalize indepenedent mercenaries?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

I've never heard of that. Is there any way to vassalize indepenedent mercenaries?

Very rarely. Basically only when they become landed (someone hires them, runs out of money and they decide to conquer his lands). If the head of the mercenary company if of your culture and religion, you are an emperor and own land adjacent to the mercenary company, then you can peacefully vassalize them. I believe there are also certain CB's that you can use to force them to become your vassals, but I can't recall which.

And of your some realms start with vassal mercenaries. Apart from the Byzantines and Rum in this example, there is also Egypt, which has the Mamluks as vassals in certain start dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Torrannor posted:

Very rarely. Basically only when they become landed (someone hires them, runs out of money and they decide to conquer his lands). If the head of the mercenary company if of your culture and religion, you are an emperor and own land adjacent to the mercenary company, then you can peacefully vassalize them. I believe there are also certain CB's that you can use to force them to become your vassals, but I can't recall which.

And of your some realms start with vassal mercenaries. Apart from the Byzantines and Rum in this example, there is also Egypt, which has the Mamluks as vassals in certain start dates.

That's kind of a shame, I've had the same mercenary company hired full-time for about 50 years now, I'd love to be able to say "Great job, guys, here's a county."

e:

super fart shooter posted:

Is this the muslim clown car that I've seen people talk about?

The clown car is mostly witnessed from the point of view of other religions, since whenever you poke a Muslim nation, they and 10 other nations put on their stompin' boots and pour down your throat. Although you may be able to witness the rarer, yet no less hilarious, Christian clown car.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 27, 2014

• Locked thread