Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's still infuriating to have drop dead obvious picks in a game with so many units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

xthetenth posted:

It's still infuriating to have drop dead obvious picks in a game with so many units.

I certainly agree with that, although at least half the problem is the second part of that statement.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hubis posted:

I certainly agree with that, although at least half the problem is the second part of that statement.

Yeah, although there are a lot of things where things are basically all mirror copies of each other or are interchangeable in practice and then hahaha screw you pgren 90.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It made a bit more sense when era decks were actually used and what was an obvious top tier choice in Cat A wasn't available.

But really, what's the point of all the middle T55s and T62s now? Either I'm going to take the cheapest one as cannon fodder or the best of the line as a cheaper line tank.

Or like, the Chieftain Mk.5 . In what situation would I ever want to take that over the Mk.10 or Mk.11?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

RangerPL posted:

I both agree and disagree.

Red Dragon's balance in many ways is the opposite of ALB's balance. Where ALB had good unit balance, it had awful factional balance. RD is the reverse. The two main factions are on a very level playing field but the units themselves are very poorly balanced.

I don't really know if that's true, specifically, because of two things: first, map sizes. You can tuck an M1A2 in a hedge and dominate a zone, but it's easy to bypass. Or you can sweep back and forth with an Akula and dominate an even bigger area, but you're visible and vulnerable the entire time, and you only have 2 more if you lose one.

The second one is the much wider availability of things like T-80U that used to be the terrors of the battlefield but that now are outclassed by the absolute latest 1990s Bad Boys II poo poo; they can do nearly any job just as well as the absolute top tier units but for a pretty substantial 10-20% discount. The only thing they can't really do is beat the top-of-the-line poo poo. So I think it does a good job of creating a pretty healthy food chain with plenty of T-72A and Marder 1 and F-16s or whatever.

I don't think there's a proliferation of "super units", I just think most units in general are becoming more effective with the accuracy patch etc.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think people are referring to stupid things like the ATACMS and the Patriot rather than the Leopard 2A5 when they speak of "super units."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The units that just plain and simple add a different high-grade capability to one particular subset of one coalition suck massively.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

xthetenth posted:

Pigeonhole principle.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think for the most part super fancy Support-tab units are most effective at putting people on tilt. I guess that's one way to win...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Pigeonhole principle.

It's not even that. That'd account for the difference between units that are, say, 2 points overpriced and 3 points underpriced. That doesn't explain stupidities on the scale of pgren '90.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

This might be a dumb question, but I've just started with the game, and while I'm struggling a little with the overall complexity, the biggest issue I have so far is that I can't seem to tell distance by eye. Is there any way to measure distances at all, or do I just need to play until I know instinctively?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

andelazo posted:

This might be a dumb question, but I've just started with the game, and while I'm struggling a little with the overall complexity, the biggest issue I have so far is that I can't seem to tell distance by eye. Is there any way to measure distances at all, or do I just need to play until I know instinctively?

Use the "Fire position" button. It'll give you crosshairs and a range line that'll tell you the distance.

Get on the mumble if you can and play with goons. Eugen is not good at making this game newbie friendly.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

No, you're not dumb. People have been asking for a 'ruler' of some sort for literally three years now, but Eugen has not bothered because "reasons"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also, did the unit info panel make it over from Wargame EE into this one?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Get on the mumble if you can and play with goons. Eugen is not good at making this game newbie friendly.

Yeah, I'll try to hop on at some point, are there many Australian players though? Timezone might be an issue.

Edit: Apparently there's no OS X version of Mumble? The official website appears to be down too.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 25, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

There's a few aussies but we haven't really been playing much recently. It seems most populated in the morning and seems to die down around noonish AEST

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Not to mention I don't think any of the other goons have the Mac version and it isn't cross platform, last I checked.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
red dragon is cross platform compatible. Except when they sometimes bugger up a patch and it isn't.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if powercrystals's tool would work with Mac files?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

They're the same data files, different executable IIRC. You couldn't run his stuff on mac though. Maybe via WINE but I expect it would be iffy.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I have a MBA and a desktop PC and the game even runs well on the MBA. Haven't had a problem connecting to any matches, either.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I used to play with a buddy who was playing the Mac version of ALB and we had some bad de-sync issues at first, but they seemed to patch all that out now.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Is anyone interested in doing a Wargame let's play? Should be something fun to do with forum participation and history spreg stuff. My internet is still being china'd but I got itchy for some more Wargame recently.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I thought about doing a Lets Play of the last Climb Mount Naro campaign where the objective was to not lose a single unit ever and capture every airfield on the map. Thing about that though is its actually pretty boring and at times you need to save scum just so you have an idea of what the AI initial death ball looks like.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How would you deal with with a combo of Longbows/Ka-50's sitting a few hundred meters behind a top tier tank? If there's sufficient AA to prevent you from killing the tank with planes or choppers you can't get your AA in range because the tank will kill it and you can't get your ground units in range of the tank because the chopper will kill them. Demoralizing the tank with arty can help a little bit but chances are it will still kill your AA.

Basically all I can think of is charging with a lot of cheap chaff.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Two 40 point planes?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Elukka posted:

How would you deal with with a combo of Longbows/Ka-50's sitting a few hundred meters behind a top tier tank? If there's sufficient AA to prevent you from killing the tank with planes or choppers you can't get your AA in range because the tank will kill it and you can't get your ground units in range of the tank because the chopper will kill them. Demoralizing the tank with arty can help a little bit but chances are it will still kill your AA.

Basically all I can think of is charging with a lot of cheap chaff.

Drop some smoke so the tank can't shoot your AA

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
If you want to play like a cheesedick true pro, just mortar the helicopter

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

RangerPL posted:

If you want to play like a cheesedick true pro, just mortar F111-CS the helicopter

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
True solution is counter boondoggles with boondoggles and AP rocket artillery the enemy helicopter.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

See, this is why I miss the Cat C bonuses from ALB, because there was nothing a horde of Mig-17s wouldn't solve.

Helicopter? Mig 17. Tanks? Two Mig-17s.

SAMs? Three Mig-17s from different angles. They can't shoot them all down...

You just can't get enough anymore.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

See, this is why I miss the Cat C bonuses from ALB, because there was nothing a horde of Mig-17s wouldn't solve.

Helicopter? Mig 17. Tanks? Two Mig-17s.

SAMs? Three Mig-17s from different angles. They can't shoot them all down...

You just can't get enough anymore.

F-5As were even better, for 35p and three cards you had 15 multiroles that killed everything, even Su-27s.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I remember the good ol' days of ALB when I used a Cat C West German "Vietcong" deck which involved literally walking reservists supported by kanonenjagdpanzers. Because people were so tooled out for ATGM combat, they couldn't handle infantry just walking at them with a little bit of gun support.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So if I weren't interested really in multiplayer, which should I get: AirLandBattle or Escalation?

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!

IAmThatIs posted:

So if I weren't interested really in multiplayer, which should I get: AirLandBattle or Escalation?

Both on a steam sale. Their campaigns are structured differently and are both worth playing through.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Alright thanks, guess I'll just get both. drat steam sales…
Who am I kidding, they rock :unsmigghh:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Just be aware that the multiplayer focused balance patches for EE had a detrimental effect on the balance of the campaigns, although the last one is apparently still good. EE's campaigns remind me of classic RTS campaigns like age of empires etc where you start off with given units and a set piece battle and maybe have some interesting and unique objectives beyond just kill lots of stuff.

The campaign in ALB is more like a total war game style game where you move armies around and battle on the map but it's kind of small in scope and a little awkward. There's no real storyline or narative to it.

Red Dragon basically takes the ALB formula, and refines it, re-injects some narative and calls it a day.

I'f probably say EE had the best campaign, but the balance issues put it about par with Red Dragon. ALB having the least interesting campaign but it was still okay. One credit to ALB was it allowed for multiplayer adversarial campaigns.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
I'm right now eyeing the steam page for Red Dragon and convincing myself of buying it as I enjoyed both EE and ALB greatly, however how long can I expect Red Dragon to last? I remember that as soon as RD came out the ALB playerbase started drying up, will the same happen when AoA comes out?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Hard to say. AoA isn't a natural progression in the series and I imagine there's a lot of the playbase it doesn't appeal to. On the other hand it's the revival of a once popular RTS that will have its own draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

papasyhotcakes posted:

I'm right now eyeing the steam page for Red Dragon and convincing myself of buying it as I enjoyed both EE and ALB greatly, however how long can I expect Red Dragon to last? I remember that as soon as RD came out the ALB playerbase started drying up, will the same happen when AoA comes out?

I saw mentioned in the thread earlier that new maps might be coming after Scandi -DLC comes out. If that's true RD might have longevity. Also, as Shanakin already mentioned the Wargame -series and Act Of -series are two different beasts, so it might not hamper RD player numbers in that sense.

• Locked thread