Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002
A street!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

widunder posted:

A street!

You know what? This is actually quite nice, and on a fresh page to boot.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

VomitOnLino posted:

You know what? This is actually quite nice, and on a fresh page to boot.

Blacks are a little crushed for my liking but I really like the shot.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

2014-11-16 05.16.20 1 by explosive_decompression, on Flickr

There's an asphalt path (not visible) so it still counts as street

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shellman posted:

Nah I think it's fine because there's enough middle gray in the shot so the deep blacks give the whole photo a nice range of tones.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Shellman posted:

that's how the kids are doing it nowadays

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

widunder posted:

A street!

Very nice, love the diagonals from the buildings/street

This one was one day before our president was re-elected. I was just drinking a beer in a bar and she passed by. Nothing like standing on a wall with a professional looking camera to get a politician's attention...

A Presidente! by Hernando Rosa, on Flickr

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 26, 2014

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Some of my shots from the Ferguson protest in DC last night

edit: Is there another place for current-events/journalism type photos?

Hands Up by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Peace by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Chillin by dshenphotos, on Flickr

and of course one of these folk.

Anon by dshenphotos, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 26, 2014

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
I suppose this belongs here.

Sucker Punch by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Galleria Borghese by alkanphel, on Flickr

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Love it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

That's p. tight but it seems like it could use a hair of straightening.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nice.

It's a brick road, but it's not yellow. :circlefap:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

seattle protest 1 by difficult listening, on Flickr

seattle protest 3 by difficult listening, on Flickr

seattle protest 7 by difficult listening, on Flickr

I don't know if I'm totally happy with these but it's the first time I've really done anything like this and it was super interesting. Standing in the middle of an empty street as a wall of chanting people moves directly towards you is kind of exhilarating, but I wish I'd had more balls to get in the middle of the action. Definitely need to look into moving past this banged-up kit lens.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Don't blame your kit lens

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
What do people in Seattle have to protest about? I thought they can already smoke weed.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't know if I'm totally happy with these but it's the first time I've really done anything like this and it was super interesting. Standing in the middle of an empty street as a wall of chanting people moves directly towards you is kind of exhilarating, but I wish I'd had more balls to get in the middle of the action. Definitely need to look into moving past this banged-up kit lens.

I like this one the most. I posted similar attempts a page back from in the action, and it wasn't so bad. Granted, that was a very controlled peaceful demonstration and I don't generally have an issue being in big crowds. Was this over the Eric Garner non-indictment? What was the tone of the protest like?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Honestly, it's too many back-of-heads. I looked through all the ones you put up on flickr, and all of them are basically taken from either way in front or way behind the protest line. If you were working for a paper, you'd definitely file one or two of those, but next time, get in there for sure. I've covered lot of protests recently, (granted the ones in Vancouver are pretty mild generally) and you just got to remember that protesters are still people, they're not gonna trample you or steal your poo poo or anything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, once my battery died and I headed home I started kicking myself for not pushing in on the action, but maybe next time. What's funny is that just earlier I'd decided I wanted to work on my street photography anxiety and then immediately stumbled into this.

deaders posted:

Don't blame your kit lens

It's not that it's a kit lens, it's that I dropped it in Montreal so it's not in the best shape. I'm also not really sure how to edit night photos like this.

hi liter posted:

I like this one the most. I posted similar attempts a page back from in the action, and it wasn't so bad. Granted, that was a very controlled peaceful demonstration and I don't generally have an issue being in big crowds. Was this over the Eric Garner non-indictment? What was the tone of the protest like?

Garner and Brown and all the others, and it wasn't particularly wild, but there were about ten billion cops.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's not that it's a kit lens, it's that I dropped it in Montreal so it's not in the best shape. I'm also not really sure how to edit night photos like this.

don't blame your banged up kit lens :mmmhmm:

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

I don't know if you have enough resolution to crop in tighter on this one, but the cops flanking the protesters makes a pretty powerful shot. Was it a small protest? It almost looks as if there were more police than protesters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

iammeandsoareyou posted:

I don't know if you have enough resolution to crop in tighter on this one, but the cops flanking the protesters makes a pretty powerful shot. Was it a small protest? It almost looks as if there were more police than protesters.

There were probably about a hundred protesters on average, the group grew and shrank depending on what they were doing, but there were definitely at least as many police officers, plus about a dozen anonymous black SUVs. Anyways:

seattle protest by difficult listening, on Flickr

Mido posted:

don't blame your banged up kit lens :mmmhmm:

Nah, I know, it's just frustrating.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

seattle protest 1 by difficult listening, on Flickr

seattle protest 7 by difficult listening, on Flickr

Get Closer. Get Closer. Get Closer. Getting closer will do you more good than upgrading your kit lens. So you get a 2.8 with better optics but still stand a block away. Yea, its not the lens, its you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Musket posted:

Getting closer will do you more good than upgrading your kit lens

I knew saying that would get me in trouble - I don't care that it's a kit lens, I care that it's been really funky ever since I dropped it.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 5, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I knew saying that would get me in trouble.

Take the criticism as them liking your work and wanting to see you do it more often and closer in. :D

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I mega appreciate it, and I'm definitely getting closer up next time (lesson learned: stop being a weenie).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People protest to attract attention to a cause. They WANT you to take pictures of them. They are loudly drawing attention to themselves. Don't feel weird, get into the middle of them and start shooting. Though, by middle, I mean among the front part of the protest. I usually find that the middle of protests are pretty boring places though, the front is where the conflict happens (in my experience).

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 5, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Take the criticism as them liking your work and wanting to see you do it more often and closer in. :D

Nah I hate them and photos of protests are almost always super boring.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

deaders posted:

Nah I hate them and photos of protests are almost always super boring.

I think they generally serve a documentary purpose, and is a pretty inseparable part of news, but as art, I'd agree, generally pretty boring. Thought there's exceptions here and there, the photo of Jan Rose Kasmir, for example.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I see. So what you're telling me is taste varies? :crossarms: I'm shocked.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

do you think taste in photography is purely subjective?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Do you think asking vendagoat about taste will results in a useful or coherent reply?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Do you mean taste or quality? Of course taste is subjective, it's one person's viewpoint.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I see you folks still like to bicker endlessly.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

8th-snype posted:

Do you think asking vendagoat about taste will results in a useful or coherent reply?

Nope, I was drunk.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Shut up and post pictures.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Musket posted:

Shut up and post pictures.

You first.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

VendaGoat posted:

welcome to the street thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009