Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I heard there are camps out East of here where they take people to get murdered en masse but let's be real about this Frank girl - she was a fugitive after all. I agree that things really do need to change, but look, she was no angel.

Laws are laws, after all. Incapable of being used for anything but the promotion of true, unseeing, unfeeling, robotic justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

GreyPowerVan posted:

Laws are laws, after all. Incapable of being used for anything but the promotion of true, unseeing, unfeeling, robotic justice.

It's the process, we'd be animals living in the woods without it!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm just saying that if you go and hide from the law in your Dutch friend's shop there are consequences. If she'd just turned herself in this might not have happened.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Just to get this out of the way:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/police-shootings-are-second-most-common-homicide-utah-report-says-n255261

Article posted:

Law enforcement officers killed 45 people in Utah between 2010 and October 2014, accounting for 15 percent of all homicides during that period. That made police use of force the second most common type of homicide in the state after intimate partner violence, according to the paper’s review of more than 300 homicides.

...Utah prosecutors have deemed all but one of the killings justified, the Tribune found.

gently caress cops.

"Police are trained and expected to react to deadly threats. As many deadly threats emerge is the exact amount of times police will respond," said Adams, who this summer shot and wounded a man who pointed a fake gun at him. "The onus is on the person being arrested to stop trying to assault and kill police officers and the innocent public.”

They know they kill innocent people, but they haven't adapted. They still have a completely unjustified view of society. All they have to say is they were scared, and they can kill anyone. (minorities for free). gently caress cops.

This is a gem: "While Utah has one of the nation’s lowest violent crime rates, the Tribune examination of FBI statistics found Utah had the nation’s 10th highest rate of reported assaults on police officer."

Who is reporting that? Cops. lol.
I'm so scared, can I shoot someone? YES!
gently caress Cops.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 27, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Is there an archive being developed of questionable things from the grand jury or something? The last time I was reading there was some sort of weird diary and I imagine there has been a ton more in the thousand+ posts that I missed.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Strongylocentrotus posted:

That would be an odd omission, to put it mildly. Because both had their reactions recorded digitally within a minute or two after Brown's death, those original reactions should represent the most "uncontaminated" of all the witness statements. So one would think those three people ought to be key witnesses.

About Monday, my source says he's going to lay something down that, if it's brought to the right people, will make it clear the grand jury was a mistrial for a number of reasons. He's checking and confirming.

Sorry, I don't want to pop it open early. It involves the jury instructions, and he wants to be sure.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 27, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Khorre posted:

I want to know what the man did 40 years ago.

Edit:Also, if Brown continued to fight after being shot in the hand, why isn't there a lot of blood in the car/on Wilson? I'd think a gunshot wound through the hand would bleed significantly.

Witness 40 IS McCullough. (not actually true. Probably.)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Warcabbit posted:

About Monday, my source says he's going to lay something down that, if it's brought to the right people, will make it clear the grand jury was a mistrial for a number of reasons. He's checking and confirming.

Sorry, I don't want to pop it open early. It involves the jury instructions, and he wants to be sure.

I hope you are right and a federal case can change procedural law everywhere, not just in Missouri.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got a detailed, sourced breakdown of how McCullough sabotaged the case?

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dissecting witness statements here is basically worthless. I once witnessed a car crash and stayed around to give a statement to the police. It turned out from the initial stimulus (hearing squealing tires) to the time I looked 0.25-.5 seconds later the cars had changed orientation and way they continued to move made it appear that the victim was actually the cause of the accident.

This entire incident is a case study in the importance of dash cams, body cams, and gun cams. Not long after this occurred I started working on the feasibility of a gun mounted camera that activates when drawn from the holster. Turned out another company already patented it and it's in development. The $8-12/hour security guards I train already all wear body cameras they purchase themselves to cover their asses. I've had students that were cleared of charges in less than 24 hours because the entire incident was recorded. It also makes prosecutions much more successful. This should be a wake up call to law enforcement to implement them fully for all officers and eliminate the debate about what actually happened.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone got a detailed, sourced breakdown of how McCullough sabotaged the case?

You don't really need one. The prosecutor, who's job is to provide evidence that proves his case (that charges should be filed against the subject) let his subject testify exculpatory evidence, which the prosecutor had the right to keep from the grand jury.

If the prosecutor wanted to charge Wilson, it would have been very easy. "Here I present all the witnesses that basically said Brown was executed in broad dayIight." I saw a statistic that said in 2000, in federal grand juries (so not quite the same), the GJ indicted the target at a ratio of 2000:1. McCullough was defending the target when he should have been presenting only evidence against him.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Police officers don't want body cameras because they are afraid of getting into trouble by petty superiors for casual racism.

e: That is what they tell you if you ask about it in GiP anyway.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 27, 2014

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Dalael posted:

But in the case of Mike brown, a 290 pound guy hitting Wilson in the face while he is in a prone position (sitting in a car). Anyone who has been in a fight will know that it doesn't take much to be knocked out. Sometimes it takes as little as 1 punch. I can very well understand Wilson's fears.

The ONLY thing that belongs to you is your life. Don't take the risk of someone taking it away.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miltank posted:

Police officers don't want body cameras because they are afraid of getting into trouble by petty superiors for casual racism.

e: That is what they tell you if you ask about it in GiP anyway.

Even the local police union here is in favor of them because it reduces complaints against officers, and the public behaved better too when they knew they were being recorded.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

A cop caught on camera had this to say:

From here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/27/justice/ferguson-protests/

That is hilarious.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 27, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
As a Canadian I just watched this Lawrence O'Donnell segment on how the prosecutors presented an outdated version of the law with statutes declared unconstitutional and I'm just loving baffled.

What the gently caress? Were they acting as prosecutors or were they acting as Wilson's defense attorney? How in the world can they expect people to perceive this as legitimate?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

As a Canadian I just watched this Lawrence O'Donnell segment on how the prosecutors presented an outdated version of the law with statutes declared unconstitutional and I'm just loving baffled.

What the gently caress? Were they acting as prosecutors or were they acting as Wilson's defense attorney? How in the world can they expect people to perceive this as legitimate?

Most people don't watch legitimate news so no one cares? I'm not saying O'Donnell is legitimate, but most people will never hear anything but how black people are thugs and are rioting.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Warcabbit posted:

Please keep us updated, if you can?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Heavy neutrino posted:

Could one of the lawyers in the thread weigh in on this? Thanks heavy neutrino

Armani fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 27, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sharkie posted:

Institutional racism and cultural problems are things that exist and can influence how cops interact with non-cops and how white people interact with black people.

Unless you're white guy Eric Frein, in which case you can snipe and kill state police and then just get arrested. I guess they felt safe apprehending that cop killer without shooting him, unlike Wilson facing the "demonic" Brown.

Or white guy Jared Leone, in which case you can break out of handcuffs, take an officer's gun, fire shots, and then just get arrested.

Or white guy Warren Gladders, in which case you can commit a string of armed robberies, shoot a police officer in the chest, and still be allowed to surrender.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Heavy neutrino posted:

This and the wildly conflicting testimonies between Dorian Johnson and Darren Wilson are the most shocking aspects of this grand jury tbh. So much for being prosecutors.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Kalman posted:

So that brings up something a friend pointed out - if Wilson racked his gun and then fired 12 shots, then a) there should be an un fired round somewhere in the vehicle, which was not found, and b) he was walking around with a bullet in the chamber which is loving stupid.
Why is carrying with a round chambered loving stupid? The only person I know who does carry that way literally carries with the gun in his pocket and no holster (which is probably dumb). Most people assume that if you're carrying a gun for self defense you're going to need it ready in an emergency situation

Edit- somehow (loving autocorrect probably) changed does to doesn't

Waco Panty Raid fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 27, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or white guy Jared Leone, in which case you can break out of handcuffs, take an officer's gun, fire shots, and then just get arrested.

Or white guy Warren Gladders, in which case you can commit a string of armed robberies, shoot a police officer in the chest, and still be allowed to surrender.

Serious question but are those exceptions or the rule? Surely white people have been shot by white cops.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaocaholica posted:

Serious question but are those exceptions or the rule? Surely white people have been shot by white cops.

Yes, plenty of white people have been shot by white cops. However it seems to be more common for black people to be considered a threat that can only be dealt with by lethal force. Black boys and men are seen by whites as more threatening and dangerous than white boys and men who are doing the same things.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can he be disbarred for this or something?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RodShaft posted:

Can he be disbarred for this or something?

Not really.

I'd also like to remind everyone, especially the guy a bunch of pages back who kept talking about voting, that St. Louis County is 70% white and McCulloch does exactly the job he was elected to do: protect white people and their wealth.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Why is carrying with a round chambered loving stupid? The only person I know who doesn't carry that way literally carries with the gun in his pocket and no holster (which is probably dumb). Most people assume that if you're carrying a gun for self defense you're going to need it ready in an emergency situation

Severe lack of knowledge? Also so you have the intermediate step of racking the slide to show that you REALLY mean business.

If you're carrying a gun in a situation where you might have to use it, you always carry it with one in the chamber. Rest depends on the particular gun.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Before heading out to celebrate the day Native Americans saved the Puritans from their own foolishness (because Holland was too liberal so they had to cross the Atlantic), I wanted to post some twitters covering the Macy's protests:

https://twitter.com/Nettaaaaaaaa
https://twitter.com/phanta5magoria
https://twitter.com/hashtag/StopTheParade?src=hash

quote:

CNN doing it's best not to show #StopTheParade or the insane police presence at the #MacysThanksgivingDayParade

And remember:

quote:

Sara Benincasa @SaraJBenincasa

Protesting is more American than anything else the rest of us are doing today. #stoptheparade

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Naturally Selected posted:

Severe lack of knowledge? Also so you have the intermediate step of racking the slide to show that you REALLY mean business.

If you're carrying a gun in a situation where you might have to use it, you always carry it with one in the chamber. Rest depends on the particular gun.

I don't own any guns or anything but...really? People not in a warzone/conflict area seriously carry one in the chamber for "emergency purposes"? Why is racking a slide when you need to use a gun such a tactically time-consuming maneuver? Seems dangerous to me.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Naturally Selected posted:

I think the "you always have to have a round in the chamber" partly stems from this hypervigilant "warrior mindset" bullshit. Yeah it's faster, which is a double-edged sword when it comes to poorly trained police. I think that police who shoot less than 500 rounds a year should carry striker-fired pistols in condition three. Want to carry condition one? Qualify for it.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Heeyyyy, everyone remember the Peace Train? The wonderful highlight of the peaceful protesting in August when the owners of a small amusement company rolled up with their Thomas the Tank Engine lookalike and gave free rides to all?

Reddit's decided it was stolen from a local mall.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feral Integral posted:

I don't own any guns or anything but...really? People not in a warzone/conflict area seriously carry one in the chamber for "emergency purposes"? Why is racking a slide when you need to use a gun such a tactically time-consuming maneuver? Seems dangerous to me.

Because the only reason you should be carrying a gun is if there's a nonzero chance of you needing to use it. (This doesn't include open carry idiots and such.) Much longer to pull it, chamber a round, then get into firing position and aim. Huge chance of mishandling or dropping the weapon while you're loving with it in a situation where your adrenaline is maxed and you need it to work NOW.

This doesn't get into advanced stuff such as the difference in the motions and training required to draw and ready the weapon, etc. Considering a modern pistol, barring massive manufacturing fuckups, is as safe chambered as it is with a mag inserted, there's really no need to add extra bullshit just because.

SedanChair posted:

I think the "you always have to have a round in the chamber" partly stems from this hypervigilant "warrior mindset" bullshit. Yeah it's faster, which is a double-edged sword when it comes to poorly trained police. I think that police who shoot less than 500 rounds a year should carry striker-fired pistols in condition three. Want to carry condition one? Qualify for it.

That's actually the opposite of what I'd want. Do you really want the undertrained guy fumble-loving with the slide while trying to draw on someone? C2 with DA/SA or DAO pistols allows for a much simpler motion and a direct-to-target draw instead. Considering the abysmal training situation, would you really spend more of it on "this is how to draw your weapon" and less on accuracy/proper use/not hitting bystanders?

Also why specifically striker-fired? C3 is actually the universal one when it comes to that-no round in the chamber, gun won't shoot until you rack it.

E: Also, if you're drawing your weapon, you are ready to fire by the end of the motion, doesn't matter what condition you start it in. So now you have cops that draw guns for EVERYTHING also loving with their slides/chambering rounds. And I can guarantee you a good majority of them won't be doing HSLD on-target slides or any other techniques that take a long time to use effectively, due to aforementioned lack of training.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 27, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, plenty of white people have been shot by white cops. However it seems to be more common for black people to be considered a threat that can only be dealt with by lethal force. Black boys and men are seen by whites as more threatening and dangerous than white boys and men who are doing the same things.

Well the stereotype is that white men tend to pussy out when the cops show up where as black men tend to challenge the cops more but of course I'd like to see more data points.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Shaocaholica posted:

Well the stereotype is that white men tend to pussy out when the cops show up where as black men tend to challenge the cops more but of course I'd like to see more data points.

http://www.propublica.org/article/deadly-force-in-black-and-white

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Twitter user "EDMSlob," self-described "Half Centaur | Beard Pundit | Sports Fanatic," believes

quote:

Im anti anti-parade people. Im all for free speech/peaceful protest but dont interrupt. Just making your cause look bad

All for free speech, unless it interrupts a parade. Of course, this isn't whining, just legitimate concern that the protesters aren't conveying their message effectively. :allears:

From that article:

quote:

Of course, although the data show that police reported that (fearing for their lives) as the cause of their actions in far greater numbers after the 1985 Supreme Court decision that said police could only justify using deadly force if the suspects posed a threat to the officer or others. From 1980 to 1984, "officer under attack" was listed as the cause for 33 percent of the deadly shootings. Twenty years later, looking at data from 2005 to 2009, "officer under attack" was cited in 62 percent xxxvii of police killings.

Huh.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 27, 2014

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.
efb

Feral Integral posted:

Why else would you carry a self defense gun but for emergency situations?

Racking a slide requires time, two hands and can result in a failure to feed for what?

SedanChair posted:

I'm not going to defend police training requirements but do you really expect more complex actions from the less trained?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

But dog, you are a racist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh poo poo suspiciously skewed figures. Hopefully a someone makes a website to unskew them so that we can know the real whole truth.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So the data is pretty sparse and non detailed. This is why I would like to see body cams and better car cams with all footage filed with a central agency for every police shooting. Then you'd fill a huge portion of that data gap....and bring a lot more closure and less ambiguity to these guess-what-really-happened events.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 27, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I'm not going to defend police training requirements.

Didn't think this needed to be said, but just in case, yeah. Police training in the US is loving abysmal with regard to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Pattycakes posted:

Do you think that he actually attacked Wilson? I'm not entirely sold on that yet.

I was just pointing out that the wrestling with the gun in the car part of cops story is plausible, due to the way they are made.

I don't know who "started it" I wasn't there. I think that engaging in a physical altercation while seated in your car is a dumb idea, and doing it with someone who it 275+ lbs is epically stupid.

So I guess that either Wilson is a total idiot, or Brown initiated something.

I am convinced that Wilson pulled the gun at some point. Reaching into the car, and pulling a pistol out of a duty holster is to hard to do.

I guess you could make up some scenario where Wilson has the gun already drawn as he is trying to exit the car and Brown sees it, reacts poorly, pushing the door shut, and struggles with Wilson through the window of the car till the gun goes off. <<<total theory crafting, but plausible.

I have been convinced for months that Brown was moving towards Wilson when he was killed, mostly based on the guy who was live tweeting (first hand account, no reason to change his story cause it was happening live, also not very fond of the police), and where the bullets struck Brown.

So basically I believe that Brown contributed in some way to his own death, maybe he was scared, maybe he was high, maybe he was just being stupid, maybe it was a bizarre set of circumstances that anyone would have reacted the same way.

He's dead and we're alive to talk about it.

• Locked thread