Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
San Andreas was much the same, my fuckin' homie, it's a bit OTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I've been playing some Invisible, Inc. and while it isn't really finished (it's still in Early Access), it's terribly unfair at times. Having to pin down unconscious, knocked-out enemies to prevent them from regaining consciousness (two turns, or all of ten seconds later) is not my cup of tea! Give me an option to dispose of the guards and clear the level without painting myself into a corner.

I get that the name of the game is stealth, but the way guards keep filling the area and security increases as time goes on makes me long for the ability to cut the Gordian Knot with a submachinegun.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm not a prude or anything, but in Grand Theft Auto 5 there's way, way too much swearing. I get that it's Grand Theft Auto and violence, bad language, and dirty humor are all par for the course. When it's every other word it feels cheap and try-too-hard, and it's really grating.

Cheap and try-too-hard is a good summation of GTA 5, really.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

I'm enjoying The Evil Within as I'm unlocking more options for combat and such, but one thing that I really hate is the save room. It's sort of locked behind mirrors that you go 'into', or something, and every time you enter and leave, there's this incredibly high-pitched noise, like feedback, that plays. Bugs the poo poo out of me everytime, but the worst part is that I have a friend who suffers from migraines - she can't even be in my apartment when that noise plays, otherwise it'll set her off. So I mute it every time.

Honestly though it's just annoying as poo poo.

Annoying sound effects have become my biggest nitpick with games the past few years. This is especially prevalent in games where you do a lot of menu shuffling like JRPGs, and it seems to be a huge problem with handheld games in particular. They love making every movement of the menu cursor and selections have obnoxious, usually high pitched noises that I find distract from the game for inexplicable reasons. I've started to play a lot more games on mute just because specific sounds get on my nerves.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm not a prude or anything, but in Grand Theft Auto 5 there's way, way too much swearing. I get that it's Grand Theft Auto and violence, bad language, and dirty humor are all par for the course. When it's every other word it feels cheap and try-too-hard, and it's really grating.

I agree. I was playing it one night and my wife was in the room and said, "What a cool, edgy game you got there, with all of the swearing". I hadn't noticed it until she pointed it out, but it really is over the top.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The amount of tower-disabling enemies in Kingdom Rush Origins. It's always been a staple in these games but it feels like overkill in this game sometimes, especially with the type of maps that encourage a handful of strong concentrated towers.

Also the setting(elves and nature) is kinda boring when they could have given us industrial revolution era dwarves/gnomes

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I agree. I was playing it one night and my wife was in the room and said, "What a cool, edgy game you got there, with all of the swearing". I hadn't noticed it until she pointed it out, but it really is over the top.

Sweetie, I love you, but you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Sorry, it actually is over the top though.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Nuebot posted:

Annoying sound effects have become my biggest nitpick with games the past few years. This is especially prevalent in games where you do a lot of menu shuffling like JRPGs, and it seems to be a huge problem with handheld games in particular. They love making every movement of the menu cursor and selections have obnoxious, usually high pitched noises that I find distract from the game for inexplicable reasons. I've started to play a lot more games on mute just because specific sounds get on my nerves.

Speaking of annoying sounds, I just finished Tomb Raider (2013) and getting the multiplayer achievements was like going to work. Since no one really play the game anymore, I was grinding XP and the PCs will just not shut the gently caress up with the chatter. I did the same thing and muted the TV as soon as I turned it on and just played some music from my laptop to make the time pass.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rick_Hunter posted:

Speaking of annoying sounds, I just finished Tomb Raider (2013) and getting the multiplayer achievements was like going to work. Since no one really play the game anymore, I was grinding XP and the PCs will just not shut the gently caress up with the chatter. I did the same thing and muted the TV as soon as I turned it on and just played some music from my laptop to make the time pass.

Why are you playing an optional part of a game that isn't fun for you? Games are for fun. Or challenge, I guess. But you're not having fun or challenging yourself with dead multiplayer.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Achievements in general bring down games for me. Having a pop up appear with a sound after a cutscene or in the middle of gameplay is incredibly annoying. I honestly don't understand why achievements are standard practice now instead of being made fun until they went away like the nGage. But then again I read posts like the above all the time about people who play games they don't like for dozens of hours to unlock achievements. I would absolutely put achievements in my lovely game if it would make spergs play my deserted multiplayer for hours in complete misery for no payoff other than a sarcastic virtual pat on the back. poo poo's funny.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Achievements in general bring down games for me. Having a pop up appear with a sound after a cutscene or in the middle of gameplay is incredibly annoying.

I'm not aware of any game system or service that doesn't allow you to disable these notifications. If it's that offensive to you, you would know that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oddly enough David Cage was able to get special dispensation from Sony for Heavy Rain so that trophy notifications would only show up during loading screens and not actually during gameplay.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

DStecks posted:

I'm not aware of any game system or service that doesn't allow you to disable these notifications. If it's that offensive to you, you would know that.

Not sure if it's an Origin thing, but Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't let you turn them off. It comes with a sound too. gently caress EA>

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Weirdly enough, Inquisition's achievements won't even appear on screen despite playing that loud buzzer noise. Scared the poo poo out of me the first time as I thought it meant I'd chosen a lethal dialogue option or something.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Professor Wayne posted:

I honestly don't understand why achievements are standard practice now instead of being made fun until they went away like the nGage.

The whole "un-fun achivement" thing isn't meant for players, it's meant for devs. Widespread achievements in games is an incredibly easy and elegant way for developers to track what content in their games is getting done by what percentage of the buyer population and allows them to adjust future releases accordingly.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

You should watch Deadwood right now

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Heavy Lobster posted:

The whole "un-fun achivement" thing isn't meant for players, it's meant for devs. Widespread achievements in games is an incredibly easy and elegant way for developers to track what content in their games is getting done by what percentage of the buyer population and allows them to adjust future releases accordingly.

But doesnt that basically show that 99% of gamers are idiots and wont even get past the tutorial section, which in turn causes devs to front-load all their content instead of making an interesting game all the way through to the end? It just seems to me that the best games aren't necessarily made with the lowest common denominator in mind. Devs need to put more trust in the gamers, trust that we will find your drat content!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

But doesnt that basically show that 99% of gamers are idiots and wont even get past the tutorial section, which in turn causes devs to front-load all their content instead of making an interesting game all the way through to the end? It just seems to me that the best games aren't necessarily made with the lowest common denominator in mind. Devs need to put more trust in the gamers, trust that we will find your drat content!

No, because that is how games have been developed for literally the entire existence of the medium.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Steam does achievements well of games, it shows you how many others got it.
And you can order them on your own profile of how rare they are.

Atm, my rarest achievement is Saints Row 3 'You're My Hero!'. Only 0.83% of all players have this.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No, because that is how games have been developed for literally the entire existence of the medium.

Counter-point: dark souls. And possibly system shock 2, stalker shoc, thief 1 & 2, jedi outcast and of course; deus ex. That about sums up all the good games in existence.

Edit: forgot Iji by Daniel Remar, and everything by Matt Thorson before he sold his soul to adult swim.

Curdy Lemonstan has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Nov 27, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't exaggerating, one of the oldest stories in the history of videogame development is Nolan Bushnell releasing Computer Space, getting frustrated watching people in bars play it without even reading the instructions and then giving up when they couldn't understand it, and then responding by releasing Pong because it was more accessible to casual players.

If anything it's only recently that games broke away from being so front-loaded as a holdover of the coin-op days where you wanted an impressive first stage to draw people in and get them to keep feeding the machine quarters or the NES era when the inability to save or have reliable in-game documentation meant they had to design the beginning of the game to function as a diagetic tutorial and hold up to dozens of re-plays every time you started the game over.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

happyhippy posted:

Steam does achievements well of games, it shows you how many others got it.
And you can order them on your own profile of how rare they are.

Atm, my rarest achievement is Saints Row 3 'You're My Hero!'. Only 0.83% of all players have this.

The PS4 and Vita do this as standard, it's pretty interesting though as you go through the achievements for a game and seeing the completion percentage steadily go down for each one.

Diablo 3 is a good one, according to my list 83% of players beat the Skeleton King, the first major boss, while only a tiny amount, less than 15% beat Malthael, the final boss in Reaper of Souls.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like achievements, and I have no idea why. But it's all about the profile-wide stuff, stuff that is tracked not in the game, but via the user account I'm playing the game with. I like collecting stuff, I guess little digital trophies are one of the things I like :)

muscles like this? posted:

Oddly enough David Cage was able to get special dispensation from Sony for Heavy Rain so that trophy notifications would only show up during loading screens and not actually during gameplay.

Did he need special dispensation? Can't you just have the trophy-checking logic built in after the chapter is finished? Don't know why it'd be special or anything.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Counter-point: dark souls. And possibly system shock 2, stalker shoc, thief 1 & 2, jedi outcast and of course; deus ex. That about sums up all the good games in existence.

Edit: forgot Iji by Daniel Remar, and everything by Matt Thorson before he sold his soul to adult swim.

Counter-counter-point: Unclench your butthole and learn to have fun with other games.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

sforzacio posted:

Not sure if it's an Origin thing, but Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't let you turn them off. It comes with a sound too. gently caress EA>

poptart_fairy posted:

Weirdly enough, Inquisition's achievements won't even appear on screen despite playing that loud buzzer noise. Scared the poo poo out of me the first time as I thought it meant I'd chosen a lethal dialogue option or something.

Oh wow lol that is lovely.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Heavy Lobster posted:

The 'x gamers got y achievement out of z copies' is a realistic metric since Bungie/343 stopped putting Vidmaster achievements in their games. Those were both un-fun and hard as hell.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's such a petty thing to bug me, but in Alien Isolation Amanda Ripley has little noodle arms when using tools in first person. Dammit woman you're an engineer who works for a living, you should be buffer than that. :argh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

It's such a petty thing to bug me, but in Alien Isolation Amanda Ripley has little noodle arms when using tools in first person. Dammit woman you're an engineer who works for a living, you should be buffer than that. :argh:
It's the future. Robots lift heavy things now.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

On the subject of truly little things, I wish Far Cry 3 would let me tap E to pick up loot items, instead of making me hold it for a second. Like, I guess it's so I don't pick up any money I didn't want to? :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One of my friends got me The Binding of Isaac: The Rebirth for my birthday and it's much better than I thought it would be. The new characters are cool, it's less buggy, the new bosses are interesting and there's a filter option that smooths everything out to resemble the original's graphics more.

But the music's kinda a letdown. Some is really good (like the new Cellar theme Periculum or Mega Satan's theme Hericide). But I dunno, the shop music, Caves/Catacombs and Depths/Necropolis isn't very memorable.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a mod on reddit that lets you use the old tracks.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

"You're my hero" buddy :hehe::hf::hehe:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

It is amazing how many people apparently never play their games. Like, in the first Bioshock only 91% of players got the trophy for completing the Welcome to rapture level, which is the first 15ish minutes of the game, and thanks to Vita Chambers you basically can't fail. There's no Multiplayer in the game either so it's not a Call of Duty situation where everyone just does that. Nearly 1 in 10 players essentially didn't play the game. :psyduck:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Spalec posted:

It is amazing how many people apparently never play their games. Like, in the first Bioshock only 91% of players got the trophy for completing the Welcome to rapture level, which is the first 15ish minutes of the game, and thanks to Vita Chambers you basically can't fail. There's no Multiplayer in the game either so it's not a Call of Duty situation where everyone just does that. Nearly 1 in 10 players essentially didn't play the game. :psyduck:

Sometimes they glitch out and I don't think you can get Steam cheevos in Offline Mode (at least for certain games).

Also there's people like me who got it as a pre-order bonus for some other game and don't actually want to play it. Already played it without Steam back when it was new.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

In Far Cry 4 it feels like they shortened the activation distance for things. Like, there are "bells" you have to spin as collectibles or whatever and I have yet to just walk up to one and spin it. I end up circling the drat things rubbing up against it crouching and standing trying to find the sweet spot where I actually get the activation prompt. You have to be closer to chests. Sometimes those masks you have to find underwater I have to dive 3 times to find the right spot to actually activate them. Sometimes you can be too close, and you can't interact with things, but the ideal distance is closer than it wasin FC3 so it still fucks me up every time.

It's the most irritating random change in a game and I don't know what they did, it doesn't even seem intentional and yet I can't help but think some part of it was since they're using the exact same drat engine in this game.

They made using the "use" key a chore. How the gently caress do you even manage that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

They need to trust that players will do something that all the available data says they won't do? It is nice when a game stays consistently good the whole way through, but I really don't think you can blame developers for prioritising the bits they know that almost everyone is going to see rather than the bits they know most people aren't going to see.

Spalec posted:

I buy lots of games that I barely play. I see something on sale for under $5, buy it, play for five or ten minutes, decide it's not for me, and then never play it again. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm one of the people who didn't get that achievement. Steam doesn't seem to want to show my the achievements for Bioshock just now so I can't check, but I definitely didn't play it for long.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We'll, I've found the most annoying credits sequence ever created. It's in Infamous: Second Son.

Not only are the credits unskippable (But they are pausable!) if you quit the game during them, when you next start it up, it starts them from the top. Once you've hit the credits, if you want to do literally anything else in the game, including starting a new game, you have to watch them or delete your save.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yes and this is why wndgames have been bad forever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elfface posted:

We'll, I've found the most annoying credits sequence ever created. It's in Infamous: Second Son.

Not only are the credits unskippable (But they are pausable!) if you quit the game during them, when you next start it up, it starts them from the top. Once you've hit the credits, if you want to do literally anything else in the game, including starting a new game, you have to watch them or delete your save.

So turn them on and walk away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Dark Souls, System Shock 2, STALKER and Deus Ex all suffer from a marked decline in quality towards the end of the game though?

Dark Souls has some really lovely areas towards the end like Lost Izalith, System Shock 2 just isn't as good in the latter half generally, STALKER has the bizarre teleport maze run and gun bullshit, and Deux Ex has empty areas like Paris that they had to cut down due to time constraints.

Also, thing dragging Vanquish down: I am only 23 and it's so intense it makes me feel like an old man. I can only play it in half-hour bursts or I start to feel overstimulated like an 11-year-old diabetic on a sugar high.