Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
My N9's tap to wake is working less and less as the days go on. Very frustrating now. It often stops working completely until you use the power button to turn it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I know the N9 has had a couple software updates that changed its performance - have these updates made enough of a difference to improve on the reviews that have been published? I really want one - it seems perfect for my needs - and I can deal with back flex and buttons, but software problems are concerning, and both Ars and Anand had issues with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The software has helped though I can't say it's perfect yet.

However, the software issues appear to be endemic to lollipop in general so I don't know that there's much escaping them if you were to go with something different since they will likely pop up there as well.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I know the N9 has had a couple software updates that changed its performance - have these updates made enough of a difference to improve on the reviews that have been published? I really want one - it seems perfect for my needs - and I can deal with back flex and buttons, but software problems are concerning, and both Ars and Anand had issues with it.

I really enjoy mine. What software issues are people reporting on? The majority of people in this thread that have complained about the N9 have been complaining about light bleed around the edges of the screen. Some have complained about the buttons being too shallow (I have issue with this as well) and some complain about the tap to wake not working all the time.

I primarily use mine for books and comics with some light couch browsing/twitter/facebook sort of stuff tossed in. Mine has no trouble with wifi connections or anything like they were saying the Nexus 5 suffered from on lollipop. And the one app that I use that was broken on lollipop, comixology, has been updated within the past day or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For me, it's just the fact that despite the increase in specs, it's actually slower than my N7 2013 was (on KitKat). Now, I did run the 5.0 preview on my N7 and that hurt performance of the N7 to the point where it was running worse than my N9 currently. So, it's a bit of a wash. I'm really hoping google pushes an update that lets you turn off encryption as I feel that's part of the issue with the N9 performance, the other issue is in app management. I'm getting the occasional screen redraws when going back to the launcher. I was getting the same on the N7 preview and others have reported it on the N6 as well. It just seems that lollipop is a bit too aggressive when booting applications out of running memory.

Twice though, I've had the tablet lockup with an audio stutter and reboot while running Hulu.

My Fios app is also useless on the N9 because they don't lock aspect ratio on the video playback, now all the stations are vertically stretched to 4:3. That's more Verizon's fault though.

I'm not disappointed with the upgrade from the N7 as other things like reading magazines are far better on it. 5.0 just still feels very rough around the edges. I also cannot get always listening to work at all, not even once.

One thing I'm having to adjust to is charging time. The N9 is having about the same (7-9 hours SoT) as my Nexus 7 did, but it takes 3x larger to charge. I basically have to plan more around when I'm going to charge the device whereas I could just toss my N7 on the charger for an hour or while I was doing something else and know I would have ample battery to last me for the rest of the day. Nvidia really need something like Qualcomm's quick charge.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 25, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

I never had any hardware issues with my N9 although because of this thread I did notice some slight light bleed on one side while playing netflix. I came from a tf201 so overall I'm very happy with the tablet and hope I get as much use out of it as I did my prior.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
TF201 "we shipped you a gps module because the built in is so bad"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

Very rarely, when pressing the app switcher button, or tapping an icon to launch an app, it is slow to respond, giving you a "did it register my touch or not?" moment. I haven't seen any issues once inside an app. It's up to you to decide if an occasional "did it register my touch or not?" moment would drive you crazy. Some reviewers apparently found it unacceptable. I've heard reports of this sort of thing happening on other devices which received the Lollipop upgrade, so it's theoretically possible that it will be fixed in a future update, but hasn't been fixed in the current update and there are no guarantees.

bull3964 posted:

For me, it's just the fact that despite the increase in specs, it's actually slower than my N7 2013 was (on KitKat). Now, I did run the 5.0 preview on my N7 and that hurt performance of the N7 to the point where it was running worse than my N9 currently. So, it's a bit of a wash. I'm really hoping google pushes an update that lets you turn off encryption as I feel that's part of the issue with the N9 performance
Reportedly the encryption is only an issue on the Nexus 6 (being handled in hardware on the Nexus 9).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think the insane charge time on the N9 is because for some reason the screen is always on while it charges. If I plug it in, the screen turns on, and if I turn it off with the power button it always turns itself back on. I can't figure out why, but my theory is tap to wake picks up ambient vibrations a lot better that my tapping.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I think the insane charge time on the N9 is because for some reason the screen is always on while it charges. If I plug it in, the screen turns on, and if I turn it off with the power button it always turns itself back on. I can't figure out why, but my theory is tap to wake picks up ambient vibrations a lot better that my tapping.
Daydreaming?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ Oh maybe this?

Come again for Big Fudge?
That does not seem like correct behavior, nor does the screen always stay on while charging my n9.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Something is wrong, my N9 never turned on and stayed on while charging. It will turn on when plugged in but should turn off after a short period or pressing the power button.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my screen does not stay on while it's charging.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, my screen does not stay on while it's charging.

Both of mine did the same thing, the 32GB also got amazingly hot, so I returned it, but the 16 doesn't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Both of mine did the same thing, the 32GB also got amazingly hot, so I returned it, but the 16 doesn't.
Daydream is enabled by default on tablets, I'm pretty sure. I know it was on the Nexus 7.

vv I wouldn't place a bet on it but I feel very certain that upon wiping a flashing the stock Lollipop image on my 2013 I had to disable it. It was set to Clock. I wouldn't have gone into the setting otherwise.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 25, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Daydream is enabled by default on tablets, I'm pretty sure. I know it was on the Nexus 7.

It isn't that I've ever seen. Neither of my N7s (2012 or 2013), N10, or N9 had daydream enabled by default.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

It isn't that I've ever seen. Neither of my N7s (2012 or 2013), N10, or N9 had daydream enabled by default.

My 9 did but it was set to only come on while docked. I turned it off anyways. I'll see if it does it when I charge it tonight.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

TF201 "we shipped you a gps module because the built in is so bad"

They sent me two!

I understand why a GPS is installed but I don't use them in my tablet so the fact that it was lovely was never an issue with me. I got the tf201 because I thought I needed something that was the equivalent of a netbook. Over the span of the years I've owned it I can count on one hand the times I've needed the keyboard. I was planning on getting the Bluetooth keyboard cover for my n9 but ... meh.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bought a 32gig N9 from Worst Buy. Mine doesn't seem to have much - if any - back flex and the light bleed is no worse than on my N5. If it ends up being worth keeping I'll probably pick up the now-available keyboard case since the size of this thing is pretty much perfect to carry around and still be able to type up emails and short papers.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just got Lollipop on my N4 and it's fantastic so far. But it makes me wonder if there could there be issues with my N7 causing Lollipop to run so slow, or is the N7 2012 just generally not a great piece of hardware for Lollipop? It seems like I've heard a few others complaining about it on their N7's but not a ton. Could some app or virus (is that even a thing on mobile devices?) be causing my problem?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a 32gig N9 from Worst Buy. Mine doesn't seem to have much - if any - back flex and the light bleed is no worse than on my N5. If it ends up being worth keeping I'll probably pick up the now-available keyboard case since the size of this thing is pretty much perfect to carry around and still be able to type up emails and short papers.

Holy crap. That thing is 130 bucks!?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Samsung aside I'm still leaning towards the Tab S being a lot better buy unless you are some special use case. The AMOLED screen is gorgeous, the build quality is higher, it's getting 5.0 and the specs are pretty much a washout with the N9 besides the 64 bit chip.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Samsung aside I'm still leaning towards the Tab S being a lot better buy unless you are some special use case. The AMOLED screen is gorgeous, the build quality is higher, it's getting 5.0 and the specs are pretty much a washout with the N9 besides the 64 bit chip.

Dat 4:3 ratio though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IuniusBrutus posted:

Dat 4:3 ratio though.

PDFS YOU LOOKING SO FINE

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fondue posted:

They sent me two!

I understand why a GPS is installed but I don't use them in my tablet so the fact that it was lovely was never an issue with me. I got the tf201 because I thought I needed something that was the equivalent of a netbook. Over the span of the years I've owned it I can count on one hand the times I've needed the keyboard. I was planning on getting the Bluetooth keyboard cover for my n9 but ... meh.

I got two for my TF201 as well. I was so glad when Amazon took it back 8 months after I got it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Trusted Places not work on the Nexus 7/9 or something? It's only showing up on my Nexus 4.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You need the new Google Services for it to show up. Works great on my N7 2013.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

You need the new Google Services for it to show up. Works great on my N7 2013.

Yeah, I have that on both my phone and tablet and it's just not doing anything, even after a reboot.

I checked the article on AP where they mentioned the feature and apparently it works for some but not for others on the same device.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

For me, it's just the fact that despite the increase in specs, it's actually slower than my N7 2013 was (on KitKat). Now, I did run the 5.0 preview on my N7 and that hurt performance of the N7 to the point where it was running worse than my N9 currently. So, it's a bit of a wash. I'm really hoping google pushes an update that lets you turn off encryption as I feel that's part of the issue with the N9 performance, the other issue is in app management.

The K1 uses already ARMv8, which has hardware accelerated encryption baked in. Assuming Google actually uses it...
Personally while the N7 is perfectly adequate for everyday tasks still, even with a mid-class two-year-old CPU, the N9 beats the poo poo out of it in every way. Far, far faster, fluid and just fun to use. No stutter, no slowdowns.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 26, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Decius posted:

The K1 uses already ARMv8, which has hardware accelerated encryption baked in. Assuming Google actually uses it...
Personally while the N7 is perfectly adequate for everyday tasks still, even with a mid-class two-year-old CPU, the N9 beats the poo poo out of it in every way. Far, far faster, fluid and just fun to use. No stutter, no slowdowns.

This has not been the case for me. My N7 2013 on KitKat was more fluid of a tablet than my N9 has been so far. It hasn't been a complete shitshow, but it hasn't blown me away. I'm pretty sure this is a lollipop issue though because lollipop ran worse on my N7 than KitKat.

Lollipop's aggressive background killing of apps is getting really annoying though. I've found I can't use Slingplayer to cast to my chromecast from my N9 consistently. Usually not more than 10 minutes or so after putting the tablet down, slingplayer gets killed and I get booted back to the chromecast home screen. The same goes for the home screen redraws.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, I rolled back to Kit Kat after suffering through Lollipop for the last few days on my N7. It was pretty awful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nostratic posted:

Yeah, I rolled back to Kit Kat after suffering through Lollipop for the last few days on my N7. It was pretty awful.
That's exactly the opposite of the experience I had. If Lollipop isn't twice as fast as KitKat was, it's close. Hell, just the fact that it isn't rebooting itself five times a day now is nice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Oh Android, never change

I've had an experience on the N7 (2013) somewhere in the middle - most of the time performance on Lolipop seems to be about the same as KitKat was, but the tablet does now seem to bog down after a few days usage and only perks up again with a reboot.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Other than the really annoying broken Youtube/video player, Lollipop has been great on my 2013 N7. The battery life is very noticeably better--I can go almost 3 days with moderate usage between charges.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

That's exactly the opposite of the experience I had. If Lollipop isn't twice as fast as KitKat was, it's close. Hell, just the fact that it isn't rebooting itself five times a day now is nice.

Lollipop is definitely a net loss for me, but I can't be bothered to flash back to KK.

I'm on the '12 N7 so that's probably it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mogomra posted:

Lollipop is definitely a net loss for me, but I can't be bothered to flash back to KK.

I'm on the '12 N7 so that's probably it.

I've found that disabling Google Now and the Google Now launcher makes my 2012 N7 usable. It's maybe a little slower than it was on kitkat, but I'll take it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just factory reset my 2012 N7 to see if it would help. Lollipop killed it. Every action took 20-30 seconds to appear. I didn't use it a whole lot- mainly just internet browsing from the couch- but this was unbearable. Feels like the whole Apple releasing updates for phones that couldn't take it just to get people to upgrade conspiracy all over again.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think I broke my N7, the port you stick your charger into has probably gotten damaged somehow, i've tried with different chargers. Any protips for how I can fix that myself or is it time to go see if the warranty covers it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How do I switch back to Kitkat on my (2012) Nexus 7? It updated a few days ago and runs like absolute trash now, Chrome has maybe a 1/3 chance of opening if I click a link, and only after a 30+ second delay. Then it crashes. So I'm having trouble looking up solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

How do I switch back to Kitkat on my (2012) Nexus 7? It updated a few days ago and runs like absolute trash now, Chrome has maybe a 1/3 chance of opening if I click a link, and only after a 30+ second delay. Then it crashes. So I'm having trouble looking up solutions.
Download the SDK and the image you want and flash it. You cannot suppress the update notifications though.