Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PoptartsNinja posted:

The figures look fine, and everything else looks great (I don't even spot that nub you're talking about, but I admit I don't know where to look)!

One of the tricks I like for painting little plastic men is that, even if your hands shake, your hands tend to shake the same way. If you hold the figure in one hand and paint with the other while resting your forearms on your chest (keep your hands as close to your body as you can), the movement of your chest will tend to equalize the movement of your hands, so even though you're a bit shaky your hands will both be moving the same way. That lets you paint very steadily even with shaky fingers (like mine! :D ).

You just need to wear a shirt you don't mind accidentally getting a little paint on.

Easier than that: Touch your wrists to each other like you're handcuffed. Your hands will be forced to shake at the same angle and frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Hey man thanks for sharing your build here. I'm looking forward to mine so I have to live vicariously right now.

Sorry I didn't do more of the build itself in progress - but to be honest, this is just basically an MG with different parts setup and, believe it or not, no seam filling. The brown inner frame parts are where the seams lie, and anything with a seam is basically covered by the external parts.

Get it while prices are reasonable at $80ish on Amazon for the black version, $72 to pre-order the gray version (GET THE GRAY ONE)

PoptartsNinja posted:

The figures look fine, and everything else looks great (I don't even spot that nub you're talking about, but I admit I don't know where to look)!

One of the tricks I like for painting little plastic men is that, even if your hands shake, your hands tend to shake the same way. If you hold the figure in one hand and paint with the other while resting your forearms on your chest (keep your hands as close to your body as you can), the movement of your chest will tend to equalize the movement of your hands, so even though you're a bit shaky your hands will both be moving the same way. That lets you paint very steadily even with shaky fingers (like mine! :D ).

You just need to wear a shirt you don't mind accidentally getting a little paint on.

Broken Loose posted:

Easier than that: Touch your wrists to each other like you're handcuffed. Your hands will be forced to shake at the same angle and frequency.

Next time I paint plastic mans I will try both.

Been dying to have an excuse to get a hangar base or something like that, and do a maintenance scene. I always thought a Dom painted in desert colors with Soviet decals would be the singular coolest thing, so maybe I'll invest in an HGUC to fit a hangar and do maintenance mans.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Watching him struggle fruitlessly with that knee lock is borderline painful.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It could just feel his frustration.

Doesn't change the fact that I still want a PG Unicorn, though. Just now I know I'm going to pop pieces off and struggle endlessly with locking mechanisms when I go to transform it. If I ever get one, of course...

Edit: This is why you get shelves or cases with glass doors, by the way.

VVVV

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

just the like MGs it looks like something you transform once and leave that way forever. Until it jumps off a shelf and explodes

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bimmi posted:

He figured it out eventually. Did it in one try on the other knee.
Honestly it seemed pretty easy to transform.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That model is very pretty but I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to put something like it together. Can't imagine how long it would take to do it well.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Users of Mr. Surfacer 500, I need some help.

I went to down on the gigantic amount of seams of my Rick Dom's beam bazooka, because I'm a dumbass who thought it'd be easier/better to do the seams with Mr. Surfacer 500 and/or putty as necessary rather than risk weird non-welds with Tamiya extra thin.

After getting just enough fill of Mr. Surfacer and giving it a modest sanding, then putting on Alclad white primer (lacquer, if it matters), I noticed that the blobs of Mr. Surfacer alongside the seam weren't so smooth. They blobbed through the primer. So I went at them a little more, this time with a bit of force to the sanding sticks I was using (600 grit on a popsicle stick) and seeing that I wasn't making too much headway, I started breaking out the Revlon emery boards.

What you see is after redoing the sanded areas with primer, and going a little heavy on it to ensure the residual scratches got scratch-filled. I'm a bit concerned that I can't quite get rid of the blobs.

Should I soak Q-tips in lacquer thinner and run them over the offending areas until the blobs are gone and primer again? Or should I just sand this coat of primer at 600 or a different grit, hope for smoothness, prime again, etc.?

If it helps, I'm going to be putting Alclad gloss black base on this, then Gunmetal metallizer. Since this is a giant loving beam bazooka that's literally taller than the Rick Dom that'd carry it, I'd like to do what I can to de-blob the seam.

Any thoughts? Click for huge if it helps. This was also taken about three feet away from a bare CFL bulb, so I don't know if I'm being a perfectionist or if the primer's doing its job of revealing flaws that can be fixed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MJP posted:

I'm pretty sure that the figures are going to end up in the hall of shame part of Traditional Games but for my first time out, I'm satisfied.

I wanted to see if you are really sure about your quality and....

SNAAAAAAKEEEEEE!!!!!

Well it's not that bad!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I wanted to see if you are really sure about your quality and....

SNAAAAAAKEEEEEE!!!!!

Well it's not that bad!

I wish I could have done so detailed a face as that, though :-(

For anyone who wants to see an unboxing of MG Rex: http://www.hobbylink.tv/1100-rex-black-ver-by-kotobukiya-part-1-unbox

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neo zeong has a brief cameo in build fighters, as a pile of broken plastic of course.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

neo zeong has a brief cameo in build fighters, as a pile of broken plastic of course.

On a show designed to help sell model kits why would showing the Neo Zeong only as a pile of broken plastic be a matter 'of course'?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

I wish I could have done so detailed a face as that, though :-(

For anyone who wants to see an unboxing of MG Rex: http://www.hobbylink.tv/1100-rex-black-ver-by-kotobukiya-part-1-unbox

rrobbert should get back to reviewing gunpla on youtube. :mad:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I thought it was zeo zeong on the show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone planning to build anything on Thanksgoufing? I've got a Gouf R35 for just that purpose.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Gundam Build Fighters Gouf was next on my list as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

chumbler posted:

Anyone planning to build anything on Thanksgoufing? I've got a Gouf R35 for just that purpose.

I went out and looked for the HGBF Gouf, but couldn't find one :(

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Working on G-Self and if feel really saucy i'll try out a panel wash since I have all the stuff for it now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Would it be worth it to just start brushing on future to skip pens for panel lines and wash? Or can you panel line by cutting the enamel with water?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madpanda posted:

Possibly, I heard something zeong followed by a lot of broken plastic

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I picked up a new project today.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheManSeries posted:

So I picked up a new project today.

I have all the deculture ones, love em. I think I have built 5 bandai vf-25's now.

Careful with the nose gear flaps, very easy to break the pegs. Everything else is very solid and well made.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

madpanda posted:

That's how it was translated in the sub. Instead of a Sinanju core, it was an old-school Zeong.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Warmachine posted:

That's how it was translated in the sub. Instead of a Sinanju core, it was an old-school Zeong.

Wouldn't that be a Double Zeong? :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yesssssss my first MG has arrived.

RX-78-2 v2.0 (I got 2.0 because I prefer it being more anime-accurate, and more accessories).

Wish me luck gunpla thread.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought I'd give a little pop to the inner ankle armor of my Rick Dom. This is just going over the raised parts with a silver Gundam marker.

It's not bad. Not Alclad or even Mr. Metallic Color but I'd much rather do it this way and have it get that nice lattice look.

Might just barely have enough Testors Model Master stainless steel metallizer to get the inner ankle frame bits looking pretty so I don't have to wait to get stuff at Gundam Planet on Saturday :ohdear:

Needs some touching up but it's not bad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

RX-78-2 v2.0 (I got 2.0 because I prefer it being more anime-accurate, and more accessories).

This was the first model I finished, you'll do fine.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OK, I've assemled most of it but oh my god the legs will NOT stay on. The ball joint at the hips just pops out as soon as I try to pose it at all.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Push it all the way in, it will kinda click and connect past a certain treshhold.
If i'm remembering mine correctly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

On a similar note, I ordered an MG 00 Raiser on amazon last night (it was marked down decently and oh god what has this hobby done to me). Anything I should be aware of with it, for those who have built one?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

chumbler posted:

On a similar note, I ordered an MG 00 Raiser on amazon last night (it was marked down decently and oh god what has this hobby done to me). Anything I should be aware of with it, for those who have built one?

Unless you have a stand, I'd advise against trying to pose it with the 0 Raiser attached.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

chumbler posted:

When you attach the green translucent bit for the knee to the gray cylinder bit, really loving push those things together until you hear it click.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dang, that MG Exia Dark Matter looks so much better than the HG. Its in-show appearance trod this careful line between 'goofy, tryhard mass of spiky plastic' and 'genuinely intimidating', and the MG pushes it way further towards the latter end of the scale.

I've now received Patrick's Enact, the Throne Zwei, and an Action Base in the mail, so that's my weekend set up. Here's to seeing just how floppy the Enact actually is - the Base should at least give me an acceptable Plan B if the answer is 'too floppy'. I also want to give the Arche a go, and if my Enact build goes well, Ali's custom version is a very sexy-looking piece of kit.

Just wish 00 had more good-looking hero suits to set them off with. Maybe the Dynames or Cherudim? Ah, well, at least Reconguista in G seems to have learned its lesson and given the badass Zeonesque designs to the good guys.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

Push it all the way in, it will kinda click and connect past a certain treshhold.
If i'm remembering mine correctly.

Cheers, that got it. Just had to give it a good bit of force to house them.

Now that's fixed, this is a rock-solid kit. All the joints are plenty stiff, it'll hold poses really well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm thinking about picking up some markers this month to go with my kit (either Sinanju or Sazabi) and I was wondering if it's worth it to get the Zeon Colors set or if I should just get the basic pack. Don't come back with "Just paint" because it's not an option right now, hence markers.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Literally The Worst posted:

When you attach the green translucent bit for the knee to the gray cylinder bit, really loving push those things together until you hear it click.

Seconding this but also be really aware of how you do the wrist joints, they aren't very clearly marked.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm thinking about picking up some markers this month to go with my kit (either Sinanju or Sazabi) and I was wondering if it's worth it to get the Zeon Colors set or if I should just get the basic pack. Don't come back with "Just paint" because it's not an option right now, hence markers.

The yellow in the basic kit would be good for the Zeon details, and you could use the white on the fuel tanks, I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Actually I might just be getting the Chars Zaku and RX782 2.0 kits so I might say gently caress it and get both because gently caress it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Has anyone tried an acrylic panel line wash? I've read that mini war gaming models have used a mix of 4 parts water, 2 parts future, and 1 part paint to some success. The paint ends up getting pulled down by the future, leveled out from using future, and then sealed in by it. Sounds that since its all acrylic it can't really harm the plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Acrylic panel washes are great, they just don't blend well with normal handpainting since acrylic lining on acrylic base coats is a recipe for disaster.

Also the best recipe is Future/Tamiya Flat Base at about a 3:1 ratio mixed with a paint of your choice at 4:1.