Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Super Dude posted:

Why did they give it as an option on their survey?

To see people's opinion on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Some quick questions. I just bought the Xperia Z3 directly from T-Mobile and paid the full cost of the phone up front. This was the first time I bought directly from a carrier, so I'm just wondering what the unlocking process is (and how difficult). I've read the policy and just need clarification like if my current plan means I wait 40 days or an entire year. Or if I bring an outside device to eventually replace the Z3, does this mean someone else can use the Z3 with their sim card? I'm on the Simple Choice Plan btw.

Also, is the 200mb/mo deal for life still going on and if so can I buy an Air 2 from Apple and use it for that?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
How slow is throttled T-Mobile really? Considering the $30 nerd plan but am worried about what happens if/when I go over that 5GB limit. Does the 5GB limit only apply to LTE or the entire network?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Last time I went over about two years ago, I could barely get Google Maps to find an address for me on the go.

This was on a phone that didn't have LTE.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Uthor posted:

Last time I went over about two years ago, I could barely get Google Maps to find an address for me on the go.

This was on a phone that didn't have LTE.

That's really disappointing to hear as that's what I'm using my phone for 90% of the time I'm out. Crap.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

That's really disappointing to hear as that's what I'm using my phone for 90% of the time I'm out. Crap.

Do you regularly use over 5gb now? I have to try pretty hard to get close now that streaming music services don't count.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I rarely go over the 5GB thanks to Spotify streaming not counting against the limit, but when I do it's almost unusably slow.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

FlyingCheese posted:

How slow is throttled T-Mobile really? Considering the $30 nerd plan but am worried about what happens if/when I go over that 5GB limit. Does the 5GB limit only apply to LTE or the entire network?

It's almost unusable, but I am able to use the SA app to read the forums. Loading websites can take a few tries. If it was just slow, that wouldn't really be a problem, but I've found that for some reason, it's like the internet just stops working sometimes. If you try to do a speedtest, it comes out to .01-.02 Mbps if it works at all.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 23, 2014

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

eddiewalker posted:

Do you regularly use over 5gb now? I have to try pretty hard to get close now that streaming music services don't count.

I rarely go over most months but once every 5-6 months I need to tether for up to a week or so. Unlimited data on sprint was usually good enough because it's almost always on LTE. Plus I like having it as a backup connection when needed, especially when I was living under the thumb of big bad Time Warner Cable, which had an awful lot of downtime.

Is there a way to just buy an extra bucket of data on the fly when needed?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FlyingCheese posted:

I rarely go over most months but once every 5-6 months I need to tether for up to a week or so. Unlimited data on sprint was usually good enough because it's almost always on LTE. Plus I like having it as a backup connection when needed, especially when I was living under the thumb of big bad Time Warner Cable, which had an awful lot of downtime.

I wish, I would absolutely love to, but there is nothing that I can find.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I thought you could just have your next month start early if you go over instead of dealing with slow data, but I never did it, so I don't know how you would.

Maybe I misread that somewhere.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Uthor posted:

I thought you could just have your next month start early if you go over instead of dealing with slow data, but I never did it, so I don't know how you would.

Maybe I misread that somewhere.

I would love if this were true! Anyone know?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

Know that the $30 plan only includes 100mb of tethering. It's another $15/mo to allow tethering on the whole 5gb.

Maybe a prepaid hotspot would be more economical, depending on how your additional uses add up. T-Mobile has single-day, week or month options and you can just pay as needed.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 23, 2014

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nerve posted:

I would love if this were true! Anyone know?

I've looked through every option in the past and was never able to find a way to do it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
T-Mobile just added 14 new music services including Google Play Music.

quote:

Google Play Music− Winner of the popular vote among Un-carrier customers
Xbox Music − ‘All the Music You Love’ on all your devices
SoundCloud − Provides access to the world’s largest community of music & audio creators
RadioTunes − Features a wide variety of free streaming radio channels
Digitally Imported − The first service in Music Freedom devoted entirely to electronic dance music
Fit Radio − A wide selection of great workout songs for the gym
Fresca Radio − Delivers 40 channels of the best Latin, Hispanic and Caribbean music
JAZZRADIO − Enjoy endless hours of the best jazz music around
Live365 − Thousands of internet radio stations featuring music in every style
Mad Genius Radio − For those who like a lot of music and who like their playlists fresh
radioPup − Featuring 300+ local radio stations streaming the best music available
Radio.com − Original programming including streaming music and more
ROCKRADIO − 100% rock, streaming the most diverse variety of rock music online
Saavn − All the best Bollywood and Indian music, online and on the go

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=11773#.VHNlBzU9JgA.google_plusone_share

FlyingCheese posted:

Log into your account, click the Plan tab then each line should have a link for "Add a data pass".

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 24, 2014

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I always forget does the prepaid Dork Plan qualify for free streaming?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

gariig posted:

I always forget does the prepaid Dork Plan qualify for free streaming?

There's conflicting info on the T-Mobile site. On the prepaid plans page it says "yes," but on the postpaid site it suggests "no." Further, people on the $30 have reported getting "helpful reminder" texts to upgrade to the $50 plan to receive "uncarrier" benefits like Music Freedom.

That said: its seemed to work fine and streaming hasn't counted against my data for the last few months.

Here's a 3 month trial to Google All Access if anyone wants to give it a spin. Normal trials are only a month. http://g.co/GoogleFriends (no benefits to me. link is from Slickdeals)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=11773#.VHNlBzU9JgA.google_plusone_share

Log into your account, click the Plan tab then each line should have a link for "Add a data pass".

Holy poop

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is an incredible post.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Remember that 4-line, 10gb promo? What happens if you downgrade to 3 lines?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yay soundcloud!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Dr Tran posted:

Remember that 4-line, 10gb promo? What happens if you downgrade to 3 lines?

You lose the promo.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So my wife and I just switched over from Sprint, and I guess we can do the referral thing? We have two lines, so I'm not sure if we can get two referrals or what, but hey, free data for both of us. People who need it, toss me your e-mails.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Oh snap, wife and I joined in October so I guess we can use those referrals too.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Help, t-mobile employees. I currently have an individual simple choice plan and would like to add a line, basically converting it into the $80 for 2 lines family plan. Online, I can select add a line and run through the checkout process, but right at the end it's only showing the new service, a family plan with a single line. Will the existing one be added onto it later? It seems extremely logical that this would happen but I don't want my number/service ending up in some kind of limbo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

IIRC it is a part of the texting messaging part of the plan. your cell data just needs to be turned on.

This is from almost a month ago, but, yeah, this did the trick. Now to be sure that she doesn't go over the data limit.
:ohdear:

Windows Phone seems to have some data management software built in, so hopefully that keeps it under the monthly limit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Uthor posted:

This is from almost a month ago, but, yeah, this did the trick. Now to be sure that she doesn't go over the data limit.

Windows Phone seems to have some data management software built in, so hopefully that keeps it under the monthly limit.

Glad I could help. I think MMS in general compresses photos no matter the camera resolution anyway so the data usage shouldn't be too bad.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

halokiller posted:

Some quick questions. I just bought the Xperia Z3 directly from T-Mobile and paid the full cost of the phone up front. This was the first time I bought directly from a carrier, so I'm just wondering what the unlocking process is (and how difficult). I've read the policy and just need clarification like if my current plan means I wait 40 days or an entire year. Or if I bring an outside device to eventually replace the Z3, does this mean someone else can use the Z3 with their sim card? I'm on the Simple Choice Plan btw.

Also, is the 200mb/mo deal for life still going on and if so can I buy an Air 2 from Apple and use it for that?

Unlocking is pretty easy. You'll call in, and request an unlock. Let them know you paid full price for the phone. You'll still need to have 2 monthly service payments posted to the account, and have the account in good standing until you receive the code.

Once the phone is unlocked it will work on any network that supports the correct frequency bands once it's got that SIM in it.

Uthor posted:

If you go to Settings>Backup>photos+videos you can change to where they will only back up over wifi, or not at all. You can also go to the store, hit "...", hit settings and tell it to only update apps over wifi, and there are settings for data saving in Internet Explorer, also. If you're on 5gb, it's only $10 to go to unlimited for the phone +5gb hotspot.

sanchez posted:

Help, t-mobile employees. I currently have an individual simple choice plan and would like to add a line, basically converting it into the $80 for 2 lines family plan. Online, I can select add a line and run through the checkout process, but right at the end it's only showing the new service, a family plan with a single line. Will the existing one be added onto it later? It seems extremely logical that this would happen but I don't want my number/service ending up in some kind of limbo.

Worst case scenario, the added line doesn't process right. But a 2 line Simple Choice family plan will show 1 $80 charge for the rate plan for both lines combined.

repeating fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Am I looking in the wrong place or are T-Mobile sim cards for new prepaid customers actually 10 dollars? I seem to recall buying mine for either 0 or 1 dollars when I started last year.

edit: Seems to be 35.88 on walmart.com instead for the kit+credit. That's better I guess.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 27, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They're $10, but go on sale for almost nothing frequently. Or at least used to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

They're $10, but go on sale for almost nothing frequently. Or at least used to.

They go on sale for $.99 about every month, usually near the beginning of the month. So, can you wait a week?

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...kit&firstonly=1

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2014

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Just made the switch to TMobile from Verizon. My wife got the S5 and I got a N6 but it's on back order for a few weeks so I have both lines suspended until then so I don't have to pay twice

bryn987 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 30, 2014

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

bryn987 posted:

Just made the switch to TMobile from Verizon. My wife got the S5 and I got a N6 but it's on back order for a few weeks so I have both lines suspended until then so I don't have to pay twice

Jesus, is it really back ordered for that long? I just ordered mine on Saturday and I was really hoping it wouldn't be THAT long until I get it. Isn't that why they delayed the release on T-Mo?

bryn987
May 31, 2014

NurSpec posted:

Jesus, is it really back ordered for that long? I just ordered mine on Saturday and I was really hoping it wouldn't be THAT long until I get it. Isn't that why they delayed the release on T-Mo?

If I remember correctly what they told me in the store, 7-14 days until it gets shipped and then another 5 days for shipping

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I want to get two Nexus 6's on the $30 nerd plans, I don't see an option to buy the Nexus outright on the website so I can go through Walmart for the plan. How do I go about doing this? I also walked into a store the other day inquiring about buying the phone and they said I simply cannot buy one without signing a contract.

----

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is a very good post. Thanks.

----

eddiewalker posted:

Know that the $30 plan only includes 100mb of tethering. It's another $15/mo to allow tethering on the whole 5gb.

Maybe a prepaid hotspot would be more economical, depending on how your additional uses add up. T-Mobile has single-day, week or month options and you can just pay as needed.

Also good to know. How closely do they actually keep track of this?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 1, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

Also good to know. How closely do they actually keep track of this?

I've never tried tethering with tools meant to hide it, but they track tethering through official tools very closely.

I just connected my iPad for a second to get this screenshot and it immediately registered 100kB.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

I want to get two Nexus 6's on the $30 nerd plans, I don't see an option to buy the Nexus outright on the website so I can go through Walmart for the plan. How do I go about doing this? I also walked into a store the other day inquiring about buying the phone and they said I simply cannot buy one without signing a contract.

Buy the Nexus directly from Google and get just the SIM card kit from TMobile.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Uthor posted:

Buy the Nexus directly from Google and get just the SIM card kit from TMobile.

Sadly they're sold out every time I check. After messing with the Tmobile website a Chat Rep window popped up and they said I can sign up for a regular Postpaid plan and then switch after 1 month which is more than fine really. The phones are cheaper through Tmobile anyway thanks to the Cyber Monday deal going on today and that more than makes up for the more expensive plan for 1 month.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fyi, the nerd plan is for new accounts only. You won't be able to transfer a TMobile number to that plan without jumping through hoops.

(I don't think this has changed since I signed up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Uthor posted:

Fyi, the nerd plan is for new accounts only. You won't be able to transfer a TMobile number to that plan without jumping through hoops.

(I don't think this has changed since I signed up)

That isn't what the rep said. Fantastic. Ugh.