Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
tying together a few conversations last page, on Mirage / crazy good deals on product / rules confusion.

The summer of Masques/Nemesis/Prophecy draft format (1999 or 2000) there was a video bootleg store near my local mall that also sold sealed boxes of random magic sets. Stuff like Fallen Empires, random core sets, plus whatever was in print. It was an extremely mixed bag. They ended up having a month or two where Mirage boxes were ~30-40 bucks each, and my friend bought as many as we could realistically afford at age 16, which was around 6-8 boxes. (I think it around ~30% of whatever the latest set booster box was priced at)

We 2-4 person drafted Mirage for the rest of the summer and I have really fond memories of it. Especially drafting a lot of red for flanking, torch and Raging Spirit (as a hill giant it had a relevant body and there was a lot more protection from red running around back then).

My friend was the local rules guru but it was within his range to speak authoritatively despite being totally wrong. For several weeks I was losing games due to him making plays such as:

Melesse Spirit entering the battlefield, put the Protection from Black ability on the stack, and I'll respond by killing it with Dark Banishing

This was due to a combination of us:
- as really new tournament players, copying all the good players who seemed to say "respond" to basically everything.
- taking "damage on the stack" to a completely illogical conclusion

That summer of drafting appears to have costed 6 * ~$480 = $2880 and since this was before anything know that Lion's Eye Diamond was actually good, I think the most impactful thing we actually saved for ourself was random old arts of thing that were in standard at the time.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The thing is, the actual wall is pretty nicely textured. Throw some tiny birds up in thy sky for scale, or maybe a tiny dude at the bottom looking up in awe, and you got yourself a decent piece of art.
It's the wolf that destroys the whole work. It's flatly drawn like a quick pen sketch and has absolutely no relation to the wall itself.
It's like one of those ridiculous wolves that pops into the music video for RiFF RAFF's PEPPERMiNt TiNT (most likely NSFW)

also, only slightly related, did you guys see the Grand Prix playmat for San Antonio?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I want like 10.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

those all own, sorry

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

also, only slightly related, did you guys see the Grand Prix playmat for San Antonio?

Yeah, Daarken's had it up for a while now. Tarkir warriors as defenders of the Alamo.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
Is there a cheap way to get a set of planechase cards? I loved that mode in the 2013 steam game. Have they talked about doing another edition?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Erdos posted:

Is there a cheap way to get a set of planechase cards? I loved that mode in the 2013 steam game. Have they talked about doing another edition?

No one will sell those Plane cards at decent prices because, for the foreseeable future, they won't be reprinted.

I used a random number generator to roll for a Plane, check the number against a list and then open that Plane up on Gatherer/magiccards.info last time I played and it worked well enough (though it does get a bit monotonous when you end up jumping every turn because one guy has all the power on this particular plane (We'll either leave Lethe Lake or I'll mill you out trying dammit!)).

I've said it before in here and I'll say it again. Wizards really should sell supplemental stuff, like Planechase Plane cards, Planar Dice, Commanders Arsenal Life Counters, Spindowns, etc.. on their site.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
What Magic-related things are you guys thankful for this year? :allears:

I'm thankful for cheap(-ish) decks like Rabble Red and Living End beating up in decks worth twice the sheer value, an I'm thankful for finding my copy of FTV:20 Berserk in a box under my bed after driving home from school for the holiday. One less $100+ card to obtain for Legacy Infect. One of many. :negative:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm thankful for all the awesome blue cards printed this year saving me a bunch of money. Shout outs to stifle, misdirection, remand, dig through time, and treasure cruise. New eternal playable cards needs to happen more often!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

bhsman posted:

I'm thankful for cheap(-ish) decks like Rabble Red and Living End beating up in decks worth twice the sheer value, an I'm thankful for finding my copy of FTV:20 Berserk in a box under my bed after driving home from school for the holiday. One less $100+ card to obtain for Legacy Infect. One of many. :negative:

I'm thankful for the existence of Monastery Swiftspear, because it's a sweet card that makes many people irrationally angry to sit across from.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
We get Eternal playable cards fairly consistently. It's just they're not always as obvious or as easily slotted as Dig/Cruise are. Unless you're just talking about Legacy in which case they come less frequently but we still see about 1 a year at least.

Voice of Resurgence from Dragon's Maze, for instance, has made itself at home in Modern Birthing Pod lists (and in doing so has retained almost the entirety of it's price point from when it was in Standard). Thespian's Stage made Lands WAY better. Stormbreath Dragon has become an option for Modern Zoo (though I still think Thundermaw is generally better).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

Stormbreath Dragon has become an option for Modern Zoo (though I still think Thundermaw is generally better).

Stormbreath is probably better just because it can't be targeted by the most common removal in modern.

Path is so powerful that pro-white on a 4/4 flier with haste is just ridiculously good.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Count Bleck posted:

Stormbreath is probably better just because it can't be targeted by the most common removal in modern.

Path is so powerful that pro-white on a 4/4 flier with haste is just ridiculously good.

you can hit stormbreath with lightning bolt no problem

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I'll happily accept 2 bolts in a trade for a stormbreath. The monstrosity ability has also been a thing in longer matches.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Thespian's Stage made Lands WAY better.

i'm pretty sure it was the legend rule change that did that. before that lands was a deck that tried to bore its opponent to death while it beats down with a 2/2 for a billion turns

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

But all of these are great?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yeah, Daarken's had it up for a while now. Tarkir warriors as defenders of the Alamo.

I wasn't all that excited when I first saw it. But now I'm happy with it. It grew on me over time.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Entropic posted:

Along the same lines:

Speaking of Walking Atlas, this is one of the coolest draft archetypes I've ever seen:

http://www.mtgoacademy.com/simon-says-38-walk-this-way-zzw-draft/

Simon owns (and he pronounces his name like semen in his videos which always makes me chuckle. I'm so mature...)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Erdos posted:

Do you want some of the cards for constructed, or do you just want the planes? Because if it's just for playing planechase I don't see why you can't just proxy them.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

Do you want some of the cards for constructed, or do you just want the planes? Because if it's just for playing planechase I don't see why you can't just proxy them.

Yeah, everyone I play with uses the app. I think the only actual physical cards I've ever seen were a whole deck that got sold to the store long before I worked there, and I sold it off to a regular about a month after I started. It was never seen or heard from again :iiam: I've always considered getting one as bling and just for that feeling of having a solid deck, but it so isn't that worth it imo

Four Score fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 27, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Planeschase was mostly fun but I hated those stupid planes which stopped anything from happening. Who thought giving everyone -5/+0 was a good idea :argh:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Erdos posted:

If you have an Android device, there's a free app called Magic Planes that can help you out. App has all the Planechase cards on a random cycle and lets you filter out any of the stupid cards at your leisure. Only problem is that it disables your phone from automaticly locking so it has a habit of draining the battery if you leave it on long enough. Pretty handy tool overall though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

bhsman posted:

Punishing Fire, because it's just a fair card. Also Night of Souls' Betrayal, because sometimes you resolve it with Red Blast backup and your opponent has just lost the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm thankful for efficiently costed creatures who can carry a gamestate after the last three you cast got countered or immediately removed. I have frequent need to have a singular efficient guy keep momentum going and having badasses like Polukranos or Stormbreath Dragon makes this possible.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Oh my god

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-jacob-wilson-legacy-pirate-cruise/

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

These are glorious. Definitely the best troll videos since the original. I love the rant about Primetime vs. Pirate Ship.

That last game has to be so tilting. Do you know how bad it feels to have the Second Rite kill in hand and have your opponent scoop? Probably about as bad as being killed by Second Rite.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I hope these two keep making videos like this forever. They need to figure out a troll deck for Standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So why aren't we talking about Bertoncheaty's "Apology"?

He also deleted his twitter, I believe?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Count Bleck posted:

So why aren't we talking about Bertoncheaty's "Apology"?

He also deleted his twitter, I believe?
"Guys I'm actually really sorry that I got caught I swear I've actually changed now!!!"
He can gently caress himself.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I guess it's cool if he's actually sincere, but based on everything we know about him, it would make the most sense if he's just going through the motions for another chance to get away with cheating in sanctioned events.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

First Bass posted:

Yeah, everyone I play with uses the app. I think the only actual physical cards I've ever seen were a whole deck that got sold to the store long before I worked there, and I sold it off to a regular about a month after I started. It was never seen or heard from again :iiam: I've always considered getting one as bling and just for that feeling of having a solid deck, but it so isn't that worth it imo

What app is it? I couldn't find anything, and googling revealed a post about wizards removing some homebrew plane chase apps from the iOS store.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So is there a psychological disorder that makes people cheat similar to compulsive liars and kleptomaniacs? If so, is Alex being treated for it?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Erdos posted:

What app is it? I couldn't find anything, and googling revealed a post about wizards removing some homebrew plane chase apps from the iOS store.

The app in question is Android-only, IIRC

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I guess it's cool if he's actually sincere, but based on everything we know about him, it would make the most sense if he's just going through the motions for another chance to get away with cheating in sanctioned events.

He's won countless tens of thousands of dollars cheating why would he be sorry

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

So is there a psychological disorder that makes people cheat similar to compulsive liars and kleptomaniacs? If so, is Alex being treated for it?

I don't think compulsive liars routinely game for thousands and thousands of dollars.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

bhsman posted:

The app in question is Android-only, IIRC

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...KeQGY6xaYHqgJAB

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Iirc he's offering private mtg coaching now

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the only player who uses misdirection than bertoncini is menendian

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mortimer posted:

Iirc he's offering private mtg coaching now

Wow I thought the blind leading the blind business model was only the purview of the MRA and PUA.

E: I bet their resident magician who can wow dupes with street magic parlor tricks is better too

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

bhsman posted:

I'm thankful for my buddy that has slowly been accumulating packs for us to grab bag draft tomorrow. Also, for all the rares that were printed at uncommon in Vintage Masters that I was able to add to my common/uncommon cube; they've been really good so far.

• Locked thread