Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Why the hell are China and Brazil getting over a billion euros in aid each?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why the hell are China and Brazil getting over a billion euros in aid each?

They've since stopped that aid but it didn't actually come into effect until this year.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zaleov posted:

I'm wondering what this is! I can't think of anything to unite these regions, and I have no idea what the orange might mean. I was originally thinking adoption of some sort of uniform law?

It's the bestiality/zoophilia map. Orange is felony, yellow is misdemeanor (the orangish-yellow in Connecticut and Alaska is both), and gray is no law against it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

How did so many Llamas manage to find themselves in Europe, Asia, and Africa? Aren't they native to South America?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

VerdantSquire posted:

How did so many Llamas manage to find themselves in Europe, Asia, and Africa? Aren't they native to South America?
Spain's answer is really simple: colonialism. Trade works both ways, and (with the exception of Brazil and a couple tiny places) Mexico and everywhere south was a Spanish colony/claimed by Spain. Hence why Spanish is spoken in all of those countries, as well as a lot of places in Texas, New Mexico, California, etc.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 27, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VerdantSquire posted:

Same way the goats found themselves in America (The Colombian Exchange, aka the biggest thing to happen in human culture ever).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jordan? Armenia? Somalia? North loving Korea? That is a very strange distribution there. Do llamas out-compete goats in the wild or something? Spain makes sense; but then Portugal is still a goat place.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
That map shows how often those words get mentioned on Twitter, so all it tells us is that Americans and the British are goat fuckers which parts of the world rightly acknowledge that llamas are much cooler than goats.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Count Roland posted:

Jordan? Armenia? Somalia? North loving Korea? That is a very strange distribution there. Do llamas out-compete goats in the wild or something? Spain makes sense; but then Portugal is still a goat place.

In most cases I'm sure it's not wild animals that are really tipping the scales here. Llama's are growing in popularity as an agricultural animal, and aside from wool production, they apparently a pretty good deterrent to animals like coyotes who have never seen a Llama or Camel.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mygna posted:

That map shows how often those words get mentioned on Twitter, so all it tells us is that Americans and the British are goat fuckers which parts of the world rightly acknowledge that llamas are much cooler than goats.

North Koreans have twitter?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

VerdantSquire posted:

Someone owned a llama in my grandparent's tiny village in Corsica.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PittTheElder posted:

In most cases I'm sure it's not wild animals that are really tipping the scales here. Llama's are growing in popularity as an agricultural animal, and aside from wool production, they apparently a pretty good deterrent to animals like coyotes who have never seen a Llama or Camel.

Guard llamas are a thing (as a replacement for sheep dogs and the like) but usually you just keep one of them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I've only seen the creatures at petting zoos, I wonder what they taste like.

I also bet they wouldn't deter predators for very long, coyotes can get pretty crafty when hungry.

e: ^^ crafty until they get kicked in the head

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

420 Gank Mid posted:

North Koreans have twitter?

North Korea now has internet/cell phone access for tourists. They'll show up on North Korean ISPs and locations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nintendo Kid posted:

North Korea now has internet/cell phone access for tourists. They'll show up on North Korean ISPs and locations.

North Koreans have tourists?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

my dad posted:

That's pretty much the only thing they have any more.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

From what I've heard all internet access in North Korea is a domestic connection that doesn't even get access to mainstream Chinese internet.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

oldswitcheroo posted:

Puerto Rico because they're very close to being a state, because it would strike a blow to all the 'English-only' nonsense coming out of right wing politicians.

Why is a common language for a country so all citizens can communicate with all citizens considered a net negative in your opinion?

edit: Some map art by Félix Pharand-Deschênes:

Source: http://globaia.org/portfolio/cartography-of-the-anthropocene/

rzeszowianin 44 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 27, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Switzerland does well enough with 4 languages (actually 3 because one of them is Romansh).

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

Why is a common language for a country so all citizens can communicate with all citizens considered a net negative in your opinion?
Because the goal of "English-only" politicians is to make it harder for monolingual Spanish speakers to use government services, like voting.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

my dad posted:

Few thousand a year, on tightly-planned tours out of Beijing by Koryeo. I almost went once.

Kurtofan posted:

Switzerland does well enough with 4 languages (actually 3 because one of them is Romansh).

It's not official, but English might as well be in Switzerland for how many people speak it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

"English-only" doesn't mean "we're going to teach everyone English so all of us can communicate together". It means "we're going to make anything public available only in English so anyone who doesn't already speak it will be marginalized".

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness is a concept which can be and should be understood in any language. :911:

Kurtofan posted:

I accidentally stayed overnight in the Romansh-speaking region of Switzerland once. The locals laughed at me when I tried to learn some Romansh phrases from the internet, and it turns out they spoke a dialect nobody else bothered with.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

point of return posted:

Because the goal of "English-only" politicians is to make it harder for monolingual Spanish speakers to use government services, like voting.

So what? Why shouldn't that be hard for them, at least outside of the areas where Spanish was historically spoken?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I've only seen the creatures at petting zoos, I wonder what they taste like.

I also bet they wouldn't deter predators for very long, coyotes can get pretty crafty when hungry.

e: ^^ crafty until they get kicked in the head

Llamas are pretty well-equipped for dealing with predators.

Those are fighting teeth.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 27, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

drat, those are some mean teeth.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

So what? Why shouldn't that be hard for them, at least outside of the areas where Spanish was historically spoken?

Ah yes, that tiny, insignificant portion of North America with Spanish colonial influence.

You may have to zoom in a bit to see it here.

Spanish is every bit as American as English is.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 27, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ah yes, that tiny, insignificant portion of North America with Spanish colonial influence.

Including Louisiana is perhaps a bit desperate (if not inaccurate on an anachronic map), since it was only Spanish for 40 years and I can't imagine the population really took to the language during that time.

That still leaves a pretty substantial part of the current US with Spanish roots, of course, not to mention the assorted areas with thorough non-English roots.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 27, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
You shouldn't leech from Wikipedia.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

English-only crap is entirely about asserting the domination of the ethnically white majority. It also effects people like this:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/new-mexico-begins-new-policy-of-refusing-voter-ids-to-navajo-speaking-illiterates/

quote:

The New Mexico Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) has reportedly stopped issuing driver’s licenses or photo identification cards used for voting to so-called “illiterates” who only speak the Navajo language.

In a memo obtained by ProgressNowNM, Bureau Chief Aurora Lopez outlines the policy for MVD employees.

“Agents are not allowed to read the questions on driver’s applications to a customer,” Lopez writes. “They would [need] a letter stating that they have a condition that falls under the [Americans with Disabilities Act] for us to read the questions.”

“Applicants should be able to read the questions on their own since it raises question[s] as to how they obtained their driver’s license.”

Lopez adds: “We are not able to issue license [sic] for illiterates.”

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guess the map!

I haven't edited out the legend because effort decided to leave it as a clue.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Bigfoot sightings, apparently. The acronyms stand for different organisations tallying sightings.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

English-only crap is entirely about asserting the domination of the ethnically white majority.

Er, as many African-Americans are equally hostile to Spanish in the US. Nativism and racism are similar, but not the same thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Louisiana was only theoretically under Spanish control, and for less than four decades at that. Even the Southwest was only very sparsely settled by the time it was conquered by the United States.

Soviet Commubot posted:

English-only crap is entirely about asserting the domination of the ethnically white majority. It also effects people like this:

Spanish is just as 'white' a language as English. Seriously, Americans are so weird about this. Also, 'Aurora Lopez' certainly sounds like a typical Anglo supremacist.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kopijeger posted:

Bigfoot sightings, apparently. The acronyms stand for different organisations tallying sightings.

That was kinda fast. I hope you weren't cheating :colbert:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

Louisiana was only theoretically under Spanish control, and for less than four decades at that. Even the Southwest was only very sparsely settled by the time it was conquered by the United States.

Spanish is just as 'white' a language as English. Seriously, Americans are so weird about this.

Mainly just DD posters.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Spanish is 'white' only in Europe, where people don't understand 'Latino' as used in the Americas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Spanish is just as 'white' a language as English. Seriously, Americans are so weird about this. Also, 'Aurora Lopez' certainly sounds like a typical Anglo supremacist.

Even if it were true that Latin American Spanish speakers were generally considered white, I still have to wonder what the hell your point is. Just looking for a reaction?