Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Pretty boring looking guitars tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

White Dog Eggs posted:

I thought that, but after playing around with some microphonic pickups I didn't notice any difference with guitars of the same scale length and electrics I don't think there is much truth in it anymore tbh. Even if there was, it'd be lost as soon as your put a pedal between guitar and amp.

I haven't had the chance to test it myself since I only have one guitar that old, so I'll defer to you. It'd make more of a difference than a guitar with modern pickups, but still not really a tangible difference. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a big difference in the first place anyways lol, just minute.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

http://shop.vaginaguitars.com/Flying-Vagina-fv1.htm

look at the upcharge for different colors or tone controls. who even runs this clown show

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

White Dog Eggs posted:

Maybe it's got too much pick oil on it.

They sent with the pick three different grit files. It was amusing.

It's kind of disheartening that Guthrie Govan and Dweezil Zappa use these things.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

No comment: http://shop.vaginaguitars.com/Eternal-Vagina-141414.htm

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Mixodorian posted:

I haven't had the chance to test it myself since I only have one guitar that old, so I'll defer to you. It'd make more of a difference than a guitar with modern pickups, but still not really a tangible difference. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a big difference in the first place anyways lol, just minute.

Haha, sorry if I sounded a bit of an rear end in a top hat, I am currently waiting in for someone to pick their guitar up and they are almost 2 hours late. I need to go out and do things but if I'm out when he calls it'll cause stupid drama because he needs it for a gig tonight. Musicians suck.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Mixodorian posted:

They sent with the pick three different grit files. It was amusing.

It's kind of disheartening that Guthrie Govan and Dweezil Zappa use these things.

From my interactions with fans of the two I'm kinda shocked you're not eating this poo poo up tbh

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

this is absolutely a troll site

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

look at the upcharge for different colors or tone controls. who even runs this clown show

HAH!

http://shop.vaginaguitars.com/Eternal-Vagina-141414.htm

E: Beaten, but still, drat.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Those are all pretty boring for a company with vagina guitar as its name.

e:

HollisBrown posted:

Pretty boring looking guitars tbh

haha beat me to it

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

From my interactions with fans of the two I'm kinda shocked you're not eating this poo poo up tbh

I'm not really a fan of either, just that they're both really skilled players. Well, Guthrie moreso. Guthrie has a lot of good chromatic licks that I like to steal and put in proper non-fusion jazz.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

White Dog Eggs posted:

Haha, sorry if I sounded a bit of an rear end in a top hat, I am currently waiting in for someone to pick their guitar up and they are almost 2 hours late. I need to go out and do things but if I'm out when he calls it'll cause stupid drama because he needs it for a gig tonight. Musicians suck.

Guy just showed up and tried to pay me with a load of lovely pedals, I sent him down the local shop to get some money from the cash machine so he could pay the price he agreed to. I think I scared him a little.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

muike posted:

6 hundred bucks for a tone control seems reasonable.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

White Dog Eggs posted:

Guy just showed up and tried to pay me with a load of lovely pedals, I sent him down the local shop to get some money from the cash machine so he could pay the price he agreed to. I think I scared him a little.

I had a guy try to pay for 8 hours of recording time with bitcoins once.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

lmao musicians are the best

e:

HollisBrown posted:

gently caress

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

muike posted:

this is absolutely a troll site

you say that, but their checkout system works and people have bought from them: e: I'm an idiot who was too lazy to read properly, but this guy made them or something???:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-group-buys/239444-ngd-28-singlecut-blacktop-vagina-guitars.html

Apparently they also had a van at NAM one year.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 27, 2014

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Talking about ugly guitars...

I received this POS in a trade and have been unable to sell it since.
I mean it's ALRIGHT I guess it plays fine but I don't want a maple Les Paul and it seems like nobody does.

Like I haven't been able to sell it for 600$ with a hard case. (Canadian money)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Olivil posted:

I mean it's ALRIGHT I guess it plays fine but I don't want a maple Les Paul and it seems like nobody does.

That IS a pretty gross guitar.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Seeing that guitar gave me cancer

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Apparently they also did an SG like that!

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

That's not a raw power LP though, at least not the equivalent to the SG. e: I never noticed there were other finishes. So much for "raw" power I guess.

Honestly I find the way everyone reacts to non-standard LP's vs non-standard strats (different pickups/neck woods etc) kinda interesting.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 27, 2014

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I think you are right in that the SG is the Special Raw Power while the LP is the Studio Raw Power.

I think the reaction has to do with the fact that Gibsons are never offered with maple fretboards as standard and so it sits in the same "one off" category as the inverted V.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i'm sorry i still can't get over the pick tonic

how many ways can you sell a shotglass full of mineral oil at 1000% markup? only guitarists can find the answer

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Olivil posted:

That took a monent to register. Ewwwww

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

this is like the polar opposite of that dope-rear end lee malia epi les paul that was posted in the ml guitar thread

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Schpyder posted:

this is like the polar opposite of that dope-rear end lee malia epi les paul that was posted in the ml guitar thread

Was that the HB/P90 one with the plain wood finish?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

Hahaha, godamn, you win.

I've got to ask... What genre of music?

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

lmao musicians are the best

Showing up 2 hours late when the job was apparently "super urgent" was bad, but when he said "Bit skint, but we could do it like a trade, I've got some pedals here..." and opened a loving Lidl carrier bag full of half-broke Danelectro pedals I got a bit indignant. Still, he paid eventually.

Olivil posted:

Gibsons don't sell too good second-hand, especially the more 'exotic' models like that. Not going to lie, if it was a bolt-on neck I'd buy it just to annoy Gibson fanboys.

I.... I like this. Is that bad?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
http://youtu.be/_kEyXAUK4RY

Forget MPCs, this poo poo is where it's at

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mixodorian posted:

It looks like a cross between a fisher-price toy and late 90's hospital equipment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Put in some better pickups and switch out the gold hardware for chrome/nickel, it wouldn't be half bad. Maybe a better paint color.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 28, 2014

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

It has 57 Classic which I find are not that bad to be honest.

The gold hardware is fading which gives it a cool beater look in combination with the satin finish chipping off on the "corners". It looks like PRS binding.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mixodorian posted:

No lie, I'd use one.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hahaha, godamn, you win.

I've got to ask... What genre of music?

I think you knew that I was gonna say Hiphop, and yes it was a white guy.

Olivil posted:

Is that one of those "gently caress You Obama" LP's?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Allen Wren posted:

Was that the HB/P90 one with the plain wood finish?

Yessir

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mixodorian posted:

needs this to go with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73kd6wsBq0

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

Is that one of those "gently caress You Obama" LP's?

Negative. Those were the all "government tan" coloured.

Olivil posted:

You're lucky (I guess not?) I don't have $600 lying around or I'd be one more ugly guitar richer right now (serious post).

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well, I do love drums.... Rock and Roll!

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Gonna play devil's advocate about the pick thing - if mixodorian is getting residue on his hands and the site talks about cracking or whatever it is, maybe whatever they make the picks from actually does actually have some moisture content that dries up over time???

Chinese seller got back to me today, said he was off on a business trip when the bass was made (which is possible - most of his feedback mentions good communication and I didn't get a reply to the message I sent during the process) and therefore didn't get to look it over like he normally would've, which meant there was a misunderstanding about the body wood based on one of my messages in the purchase process. Possible I was just unlucky, sending pictures of the flaws through tonight and hopefully that'll get me a decent refund. Still, somewhat of a cautionary tale for the rest of you.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzuzvWme_Y

tbh I like how that sounds in places, I'd try one out

• Locked thread