Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's a Flat-headed Rock Agama from Kenya to get this thread back on page 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Wow, that's a really pretty lizard! Too bad we don't have anything like that around here! (Not literally, since we do have them in Florida and they're an invasive species. Florida has pretty much everything these days.)

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Sorry for the cellphone quality, but does anyone know what kind of bird this is?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks similar to a Kildeer. They nest on the ground. They will pretend to be injured if someone threatens their nest to draw you away.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Sad Mammal posted:

Sorry for the cellphone quality, but does anyone know what kind of bird this is?

*Kinda* looks like a female pheasant to me. What's your location?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Southwest U.S. A friend was asking about it since he saw it around campus at UNLV. I was thinking a female ring-necked pheasant but just wanted to make sure.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

InternetJunky posted:

Here's a Flat-headed Rock Agama from Kenya to get this thread back on page 1

checking in to say holy poo poo, awesome photo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks similar to a Kildeer.

I want some of what you've been smoking. :350:

As a bonus here is a ridiculous baby killdeer fuzzball.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Dick Trauma posted:

So THAT'S how they survive building nests in the stupidest places possible. I don't think even a cat could eat that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sad Mammal posted:

It almost looks like a Chachalaca, but there shouldn't be any of those anywhere near there.

The mystery deepens.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I meant to post these earlier. A friend of mine took these pictures while visiting Ghana earlier this year.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

vortmax posted:

I meant to post these earlier. A friend of mine took these pictures while visiting Ghana earlier this year.

Dude looks like one of those red, white, and blue popsicles in reptilian form.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 24, 2014

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A few critters from the past few weeks.

Black Tailed deer

American Goldfinch

Dark-eyed Junco

Double-crested cormorant

Spawning Salmon

American Bullfrog

Western Redback salamander

Rough Skinned newt

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

vortmax posted:

Another animal you can find in Florida, a red-headed agama. Pretty, though!

Dread Head posted:

American Bullfrog
Western Redback salamander

Do you have any other photos of this? I didn't know what else it would be other than Plethodon vehiculum (assuming this was in BC), but the front feet don't look right for the species, look more like an Aneides, though the coloration I can see matches your ID. Animal is a male, though - those projections on his upper lip are called cirri, and in most salamander species that have them, they're only found on males.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah I have no idea what I was thinking. More likely had to do with what I was drinking. But worth it for the baby kildeer picture.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Dread Head posted:

Rough Skinned newt

After reading about how toxic these guys are if I met one I'd probably have the worst intrusive urge to lick it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

OneTwentySix posted:

Do you have any other photos of this? I didn't know what else it would be other than Plethodon vehiculum (assuming this was in BC), but the front feet don't look right for the species, look more like an Aneides, though the coloration I can see matches your ID. Animal is a male, though - those projections on his upper lip are called cirri, and in most salamander species that have them, they're only found on males.

Yeah I think I have a few more I will look when I get home from work, and yes in BC on Vancouver Island.

The Red Queen posted:

After reading about how toxic these guys are if I met one I'd probably have the worst intrusive urge to lick it.

They are rather toxic but under normal circumstances they would not be harmful to humans. Although I think wikipedia said someone died as a result of a dare to eat a live specimen...

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

It's tetrodotoxin, the same toxin in puffer fish. I think you'd have to eat one to be harmed, though. I've heard that Native Americans used to use them to in assassinations - slip a newt into their food. They have enough toxin to kill 20,000 mice. There've been people that ate them on dares, and one died within six hours, despite having his stomach pumped. I breed a related species, Taricha torosa, and get worried that one might escape and have a pet find it, but they're pretty neat little guys otherwise and not harmful to humans - I handle them just fine.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

OneTwentySix posted:

I've heard that Native Americans used to use them to in assassinations - slip a newt into their food.

The ole newt-in-your-salmonberry-cake, gets em every time.

I've found Taricha in my pitfall traps and let my kids handle them, only later finding out they were toxic. I wouldn't be super worried unless you had open wounds and cracked the little guy open like a smelling salt, then managed to smear it around.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I am not not licking salamanders. :pcgaming:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

I am not not licking salamanders. :pcgaming:

Nerd.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A speaker from Missouri's hellbender conservation thingy came to give a talk a couple weeks ago, and mentioned that they taste absolutely terrible. Apparently, Brady Barr came down to do a show with them, and somehow they got on the topic of licking hellbenders. Barr refused to lick one, until he said, "Jeff Corwin did it." So Barr licks it and just freaks out about how absolutely nasty it was, and then years later when they did some sort of show on the worse tastes in nature, hellbenders were number one.

Cue my friend Bobby. We were going out looking for benders with the speaker the next day, and so Bobby decided that he had to lick one. He ended up licking two of them, but for some reason, our benders didn't taste bad like the ones in Missouri. Could have been the temperatures - water was high 30s, so they weren't as stressed and secreting defensive slime.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

OneTwentySix posted:

A speaker from Missouri's hellbender conservation thingy came to give a talk a couple weeks ago, and mentioned that they taste absolutely terrible. Apparently, Brady Barr came down to do a show with them, and somehow they got on the topic of licking hellbenders. Barr refused to lick one, until he said, "Jeff Corwin did it." So Barr licks it and just freaks out about how absolutely nasty it was, and then years later when they did some sort of show on the worse tastes in nature, hellbenders were number one.

Cue my friend Bobby. We were going out looking for benders with the speaker the next day, and so Bobby decided that he had to lick one. He ended up licking two of them, but for some reason, our benders didn't taste bad like the ones in Missouri. Could have been the temperatures - water was high 30s, so they weren't as stressed and secreting defensive slime.

Interesting. Anybody have any reports on how other amphibs taste by comparison?

The nastiest things I've ever put in my mouth were in order ripe olive, green olive, bitternut hickory. They are all stunningly, mouth-dessicatingly bitter. It has been most of two decades now, and I can't think about plucking an olive off the tree and tasting it without my whole face puckering up and making involuntary *pth pth* noises. (and then doing it again, because maybe the ripe ones are better...Science!)

Bitternut Hickory tastes like when you get a bad pecan, but more, and every time. It also looks pretty much exactly like the delicious Shagbark Hickory.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A friend's friend (I can't remember if it's her colleague or her undergraduate mentor) licked a gopher frog once because he suspected that they might have chemical defenses, and immediately his tongue started to tingle, so there's definitely something going on with them. I try not to lick amphibians, though.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
When I hosted insectary tours at OSU I would eat indian waxworms (Plodia interpunctella, if I remember correctly) as a trick to make the kids laugh. It's the only bug I've ever eaten that actually tastes good, they ate nothing but grain but managed to come off just like walnuts, which I like anyway.

Here is a lovely illustration of a species called Spelaeodytes mirabilis Miller, 1863, scale bar set at 1mm. It's a cave-restricted member of the ground beetle subfamily Scaritinae, my favorite group. As far as I know, it has has only been found in one place, Dekica Cave in Herzegovina, and is unlikely to occur anywhere else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Slo-Tek posted:

Interesting. Anybody have any reports on how other amphibs taste by comparison?
I swear, every time I think I've seen the weirdest sentene someone could possibly post.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Cardiovorax posted:

I swear, every time I think I've seen the weirdest sentene someone could possibly post.

They go and totally redeem themselves?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Wooten posted:

Anyone know what the little bug is?

Wooten posted:

I live about 20 minutes from the ocean. Though my father in law (who's house I found the shrimp thing at) does go sailing on the ocean frequently. Not sure how it would have found it's way to that particular table though.
I'm grinding my way forward through this thread, sorry to pull from a while ago.
This kind of got left behind in a position that bothered me. It's an amphipod, not a squished Isopod. Amphipods are laterally flattened (compared to most other dodecapod crustaceans), isopods are dorso-ventrally flattened (again, relative to other, similar crusties).

Amphipods are massively abundant in many bodies of water, and many species will swim up into the water column from the bottom at the slightest provocation, never mind the species that spend almost all of their time off the bottom. They like to cling to any surface they can find, and can get caught in surface tension such that one could very easily end up on the deck of a boat if anything at all was pulled from the water or a wave splashed over the side. When they dry out, they can blow around and end up anywhere.

Critters from a summer canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan. Apologies in advance for the dump.

Day 1 to Snail Island 6 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 2 Jumping Spider 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 2 Rescued Beetle by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 2 Mother Wolf Spider by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 2 Loons 7 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Flyclean 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Big Leech 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 7 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 8 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 11 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 13 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 16 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 19 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 20 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 23 by Execudork, on Flickr
Day 3 Exploring the Forest 25 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

OneTwentySix posted:

Here is another photo I have handy. Also thanks for the tidbit about knowing if it is a male, really interesting!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

There have been a lot of really nice photos in this thread in the past few posts, so I'm going to do my part to keep the balance with this ridiculous ID request.

I sent this photo of Innsbruck, Austria to some friends.

One of them immediately replied, "Just to the left of the clock tower there is something in the background that looks like a giant bird. What is it? zoom in and check it out."

Unfortunately, it's a cellphone pic and this is the best I could do:

My best theory right now is that it's a Central European Giant Hummingbird, an as-yet undiscovered species. Does anyone else have any ideas? This is of course fairly pointless but it would be pretty cool to actually know.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
95% chance it's a pigeon, because it's Europe and a city.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yup, pigeon, crow, blackbird, starling, sparrow... pick a common urban bird and chances are you're right. Slow shutter speed (good pictures of birds in flight happen at 1/800 of a second or faster, I'm guessing your photo was at around 1/60), long range, wide angle all combine to give a blurry blob whenever a bird wanders through an "I was here" shot.

Also I'm pretty sure that's a pigeon in the lower-left.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 27, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Yup, pigeon, crow, blackbird, starling, sparrow... pick a common urban bird and chances are you're right. Slow shutter speed (good pictures of birds in flight happen at 1/800 of a second or faster, I'm guessing your photo was at around 1/60), long range, wide angle all combine to give a blurry blob whenever a bird wanders through an "I was here" shot.

Also I'm pretty sure that's a pigeon in the lower-left.

There are three pigeons in the lower left and there is another between a sign and a person in the lower right of center.

edit: there is also a bird standing on the light fixture on a pole near the top floor of the salmon colored building on the left.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 27, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I haven't posted much at all in this year's thread, though I do have a huge backlog of pics that I need to dump.

In the meantime, have this video of a bumble bee family sitting down for thanksgiving dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLkL3BWwZrs

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So fluffy!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Dread Head posted:

Here is another photo I have handy. Also thanks for the tidbit about knowing if it is a male, really interesting!

Yeah, you had the ID right. Looked like the feet had some webbing in the first photo, which really threw me off. Very nice pictures!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just had a Peregrine Falcon stuck on my balcony for about 10 minutes.

Poor guy couldn't figure out the glass and was running into it over and over again. I had just finished putting on my motorcycle jacket, helmet and gloves and was about to go out and try to help him, but he ducked beneath the glass and flew off all fine and dandy.

He had a ring around his right leg... I assume he was probably introduced into the city at some point?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Just had a Peregrine Falcon stuck on my balcony for about 10 minutes.

Poor guy couldn't figure out the glass and was running into it over and over again. I had just finished putting on my motorcycle jacket, helmet and gloves and was about to go out and try to help him, but he ducked beneath the glass and flew off all fine and dandy.

He had a ring around his right leg... I assume he was probably introduced into the city at some point?

Not necessarily introduced. There are now Peregrines breeding in a lot of cities, and it's not uncommon for the birds to be banded so their fates can be followed year after year. The bands have unique numbers on them so if you happen to have a photo that shows some or all of the band in enough detail you can probably figure out exactly where that bird came from.

e: many US peregrine populations are re-introduced following the DDT problems, but I'd guess most of those original birds are dead by now.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cool, didn't know that! Sadly all of the photos I took are a little blurry since the light sucked and I was using my phone camera. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
You can probably google Peregrine Falcon + your city and find out if there are any nests in your area. Those birds tend to be minor celebrities, and might even have nest cams during the breeding season.

• Locked thread