Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cephas posted:

I don't remember how they explain things in season one but is Akane supposed to be asymptomatic?

They don't really explain that at all in Season 1.

My guess is that she's not actually criminally asymptomatic - she refuses to violate the law at all costs - but asymptomatic in the sense that she's unbelievably resilient because of her internalization of the law. A kind of virtuous asymptomaticism? This ends up looking an awful lot like being criminal asymptomatic, though, which has attracted Sibyl's interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Cephas posted:

I don't remember how they explain things in season one but is Akane supposed to be asymptomatic?

No. Those are people who can manipulate their Hue at will- Akane doesn't manipulate her Hue, she is instead resilient to mental damage.

What's much more likely is that Akane is Sybil's dream success story, hence they are constantly testing her to make sure she is as perfect (for Sybil's system) as she looks.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I also think that Sibyl wants to eventually integrate Akane into it's brain-camp one day too. We don't really know why Akane is resistant to her hue being darkened, but I do recall there being something said about her believing in the law to such a strong degree..yadi yadi yah or such. I think. I don't think Sibyl would let Akane stay alive with what she already knows if it weren't for the fact Sibyl has plans for Akane's future.

Of course, I think Sibyl is also using Akane as a measure of "what will people in the future think if they know the truth about Sibyl...." too. So, there's that.

I'd love to see this inability for Akane's hue to darken to really turn to her advantage some time. Other than the fact that she can keep doing what she's doing, and when Kamui pointed the Dominator at her, he wasn't able to fire it, there really doesn't seem to be any advantage for her.

Togane right now is m favorite, though. I loved they way he responded to the invasion of privacy in this last episode.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Arkeus posted:

Those are people who can manipulate their Hue at will

Not necessarily. Makishima could, but there's no reason to believe past asymptomatic people didn't just have abnormally low Crime Coefficients.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Misandrist Wytch posted:

isnt the season only 11 episodes?

Wait, I thought it'd be a 2 cour series like S1? Maybe a break before resuming in Spring 2015. If not, then I'm mildly disappointed.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alder posted:

Wait, I thought it'd be a 2 cour series like S1? Maybe a break before resuming in Spring 2015. If not, then I'm mildly disappointed.

There's a movie coming in January 2015 and Funi already secured the rights for that, at least. When are we going to get it, though, that's the important info.

Fake edit: Outside Japan, I mean.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

There's a movie coming in January 2015 and Funi already secured the rights for that, at least. When are we going to get it, though, that's the important info.

Fake edit: Outside Japan, I mean.

So, I went to MAL and it is only 11 episodes :sigh:

Some reason it feels like Fall season just started a few day ago and now my series are already ending. I like movies but rarely do they ever make sense canonically or it's a side story.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alder posted:

So, I went to MAL and it is only 11 episodes :sigh:

Some reason it feels like Fall season just started a few day ago and now my series are already ending. I like movies but rarely do they ever make sense canonically or it's a side story.

From what I've learned so far, the movie is going to be the franchise's send off, so let's see what the Urobutcher and Mako x2 are planning.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Movie trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1mMt1RUP8s

e: I guess it kind of spoils stuff from this season so you know, watch out

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 27, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Movie looks pretty hype, certainly not the direction I was expecting them to take things based on the trailer.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Looks like they're going full-on Ghost in the Shell with the movie, not that there's anything wrong with that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Well this episode turned my opinion of Shimotsuki as a character completely around. She really is just a regular person so completely obedient and awed by Sibyl that she is legitimately terrified of learning what it actually is out of fear that she would lose her trust in it. Also going to speculate (going by Togane's remark about her keeping her Psycho-Pass low) that she's asymptomatic, and Sibyl will try assimilating her which will not work out the way Sibyl expects.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So... Sybil has basically a honey trap for criminally asymptotic people?

That's pretty disturbing as all hell. I think I need to rewatch that ending sequence. I don't want her to become assimilated into the Collective. :gonk:

I don't know why really per se why I kept hanging onto her character but having the above possibly happen to her really does make me a little sad. Its like the show trapped me. :smith:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I recall correctly, somebody earlier in this thread called on the possibility that the Chief is Togane's mother. Good call.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm not a huge fan of all the info dumping going on in the last 1-2 episodes :v:

First off about the idea of "open-door data" is to capture people who Sybil considers as untrustworthy or at risk for becoming criminals? Then by writing up her report Mika is now a target because she found out something regular Inspectors aren't suppose to look into aka Sybil's trap card?

The second part is the question is what exactly is "the Season of Hell?" They said it was a specific time period where accidents and crimes rose for a bit but how is it connected to Kamui again? Did he convince his followers to commit crimes?

Hmm--still waiting for Tougane is show up w/his super-awesome entrance scene.

BTW:Gino's new hairstyle is not great and clashes w/his personality :(

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Basically for the first point, yes exactly. It's there to weed out people determined to get at the truth, even if it's tangential at best to their current task, as they'll usually be the type of people who might challenge Sibyl. Leaving a few dangling clues makes them out themselves. Mika found it due to an entirely different line of reasoning, but Sibyl seems to have decided it couldn't give her the time to put the obvious pieces together.

As to the second point, there was a replacement or addition to the Sibyl system proposed by another government department which wanted it's own cut of the "control society" pie that Sibyl grants the Ministry of Welfare. Sybil and the Togane corporation, apparently two closely connected entities, acted to sabotage the trial run of this new system to preserve their own power. This sabotage took the form of engineering a much higher than normal rate of automobile and plane crashes, discrediting the trial run of the new system. This extremely high rate resulted in the trial being dubbed 'The Season of Hell'. Kamui was a victim in one of these arranged accidents. Further, he was used as a guinea pig in a Togane corporation medical experiment. Once Kamui became invisible to Sibyl, he was able to access normally closed off records and put together that not only was Sibyl not the impartial mediator society assumed it to be, but that it and the Togane corporation had basically hosed him over not once, but twice. Thus he took on the mission to bring down both of them.

Some bits of this haven't been fully spelled out, but when you combine what we learn during the conversation with the therapist and the doctor, Mika's report on her findings and the fact that Togane knows the nature of Sibyl and his mother was added to it, it becomes pretty clear what the overall picture is.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 28, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@GhostofJohnMuir: Thanks, I think I have a better understanding from after reading your reply now.

Although, I'm dumbfounded if Mika didn't leave some kind of club JIC everything goes to hell for Akane to find out what she uncovered. C'mon even a rookie has to see this might be way out of her depth

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alder posted:

C'mon even a rookie has to see this might be way out of her depth
But in order to be a good member of this society you have to rigorously train yourself to not see things, to the point where you no longer even recognize that there's something you aren't acknowledging. This happens to be one of those things.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Paracelsus posted:

But in order to be a good member of this society you have to rigorously train yourself to not see things, to the point where you no longer even recognize that there's something you aren't acknowledging. This happens to be one of those things.

nah, they'll find out because Mika saved the draft to her email and she never cleans that out.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

As to the second point, there was a replacement or addition to the Sibyl system proposed by another government department which wanted it's own cut of the "control society" pie that Sibyl grants the Ministry of Welfare. Sybil and the Togane corporation, apparently two closely connected entities, acted to sabotage the trial run of this new system to preserve their own power.

I wouldn't say that it's necessarily something specifically between Sibyl and Togane Corp., but rather that Togane Corp. is part of a wider network of industrial/business giants that benefited from Sibyl in some way and wanted to bring down the Panopticon, and Togane Corp's just the side of things that we see.

Whichever the case, Sibyl's been clearly shown to operate some sort of patronage network and Togane is proof nepotism is alive and well even under the system, so this is the first time it's been made more or less explicit that Sibyl is not an impartial actor.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 28, 2014

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Who built Sybil?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
It's going to be interesting to see what Sibyl will gain from revealing its true nature to the public. Has it grown tired and simply wants to make the entire country a bunch of latent criminals?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

genericnick posted:

Who built Sybil?

Well we saw the Togane corporation designed all the brain removal/networking tech that makes it work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

seizure later posted:

It's going to be interesting to see what Sibyl will gain from revealing its true nature to the public. Has it grown tired and simply wants to make the entire country a bunch of latent criminals?

Its the last obstacle to complete obedience, people have a lot of inertia when it comes to keeping the status quo. If its revealed and people get used to it, at what point do people actually rebel anymore?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

YF-23 posted:

Whichever the case, Sibyl's been clearly shown to operate some sort of patronage network and Togane is proof nepotism is alive and well even under the system, so this is the first time it's been made more or less explicit that Sibyl is not an impartial actor.
I have really mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I really liked Sibyl as a well-intentioned if horrifying and kind of myopic thing. On the other it seemed silly the designers knew it was imperfect and designed it to improve itself, but didn't leave better safeguards in place against asymptomatic existential threats, and I supposed Togane answers that question. Although it does make you wonder where he was for all of season 1.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

krnhotwings posted:

If I recall correctly, somebody earlier in this thread called on the possibility that the Chief is Togane's mother. Good call.

:whatup:

I mean, Togane's mom actually being the brain currently occupying the Chief's robot body wasn't really what I was guessing, only that people were noticing that they looked pretty similar, but I'll take the credit and run with it. :downs:

On the episode:
The whole "AA" thing as a trap seems kind of dumb, "haha, you admitted that asymptomatic people exist by reading that information, I caught you!" Like, seriously? It's not out of the realm of the possible, I guess, but that still seems silly. But hey, Sibyl's an authoritarian nutjob, what else is new.

I'm not super upset about anything else, since every single time we got a taste of information the beans got spilled in their entirety in an episode or two (see: the whole Dominator shut-off thing). I'm looking forward to hearing more about the whole Panopticon system. It'd be hilariously ironic if they're implying what I think they're implying: you don't really need a Big Brother/Friend Computer to control all the traffic patterns and poo poo if you just need everyone to be constantly worried of getting labeled "sick". Mental and physical hygiene has been a standard for dehumanization by murderers (regimes and otherwise) for centuries, just inject that into society and you're ready to go.

We'll see where they go with it.

Alder posted:

Gino's new hairstyle is not great and clashes w/his personality :(

Yayoi is off rebelling against the system with the power of rock 'n' roll during the movie, someone had to fill in for her so Sibyl wouldn't notice :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Her brain isn't in the robot, her brain is in the collective and simply is 'downloaded' into the robot body, I'm pretty sure though but not 100%.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Her brain isn't in the robot, her brain is in the collective and simply is 'downloaded' into the robot body, I'm pretty sure though but not 100%.

No, that's exactly how it works, I was getting a little too metaphoric. :eng99:

I've always been interested by the fact that apparently only one mind can occupy Sibyl's avatars at one time, which fits in with our ongoing theme of Sibyl not really being able to judge multi-brained composites like Kamui. Perhaps Kamui wants to try to construct a system that can judge himself, which would also be able to judge Sibyl as a composite. Sibyl the composite entity, after all, might be symptomatic in a way each individual asymptomatic brain in the Sibyl System is not... :science:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

On the episode:
The whole "AA" thing as a trap seems kind of dumb, "haha, you admitted that asymptomatic people exist by reading that information, I caught you!" Like, seriously? It's not out of the realm of the possible, I guess, but that still seems silly. But hey, Sibyl's an authoritarian nutjob, what else is new.

I'm not super upset about anything else, since every single time we got a taste of information the beans got spilled in their entirety in an episode or two (see: the whole Dominator shut-off thing). I'm looking forward to hearing more about the whole Panopticon system. It'd be hilariously ironic if they're implying what I think they're implying: you don't really need a Big Brother/Friend Computer to control all the traffic patterns and poo poo if you just need everyone to be constantly worried of getting labeled "sick". Mental and physical hygiene has been a standard for dehumanization by murderers (regimes and otherwise) for centuries, just inject that into society and you're ready to go.

We'll see where they go with it.

It made sense to me as a trap because Sibyl is suppose to represent the perfect structure for society. It controls everything from your career choices to what medication you need to manage your stress level.

Kamui and the deviants in season 1 wearing the anti-Sibyl masks are acceptable in the system since they've found a way to cheat it but if asymptomatic people exist, it would mean that the core system itself is fundamentally broken since Sibyl is not able to judge everybody equally.

Basically if you're willing to research and believe that asymptotic people exist, part of you already believes that Sibyl doesn't work making you a target.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

Basically if you're willing to research and believe that asymptotic people exist, part of you already believes that Sibyl doesn't work making you a target.

Although isn't it a kind of a part of the human condition to push limits of systems :v:

For example, if I told you that I spent 100+ hours building a perfect item and it's supposed to be unbreakable wouldn't it be just asking for someone to see the statement is true or not? Whether or not it breaking it would actually benefit the world, welp too bad, because someone is just too CURIOUS in the first place.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Makishima ripped open her head and killed Kouzaburou in Season 1, I think the brain is actually in there.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Alder posted:

Although isn't it a kind of a part of the human condition to push limits of systems :v:

For example, if I told you that I spent 100+ hours building a perfect item and it's supposed to be unbreakable wouldn't it be just asking for someone to see the statement is true or not? Whether or not it breaking it would actually benefit the world, welp too bad, because someone is just too CURIOUS in the first place.

But by even testing the system, you're conceding that there is the possibility that things could go wrong instead of taking it on blind faith. Not to mention that everyone's too concerned about keeping their head down and maintaining their Sibyl allocated place in society.

I mean if Sibyl told you to go gently caress yourself, you should be all like 'sure I'll try but won't this colour my hue?'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm surprised by how neutral/positive the thread has generally been about this season. ANN's Hope Chapman has really been getting the knives out for it in her episode reviews.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
It's the mystery aspect that's doing it for me for this season. Every week leaves me wanting to know more about what's going on, which is why this last episode was probably my favorite of the season so far. It's a different beast than the first series, but it's still entertaining watching and always leaves me wanting to watch the next episode.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm surprised by how neutral/positive the thread has generally been about this season. ANN's Hope Chapman has really been getting the knives out for it in her episode reviews.

Never heard of that reviewer before but usually blogs write for a audience so there's more of a incentive to go to the extreme reactions than meh last episode was OK. I used to read anime review blogs but then I realised that I had more fun on forums instead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

Never heard of that reviewer before but usually blogs write for a audience so there's more of a incentive to go to the extreme reactions than meh last episode was OK. I used to read anime review blogs but then I realised that I had more fun on forums instead.

Nah, ANN episode reviews are perfectly capable of giving a 'meh' reaction or acknowledging a series's pros and cons (in fact, they tend to be solid, reliable reviewers with a good eye for detail, excluding Theron Martin and Lauren Orsini), and Chapman is no exception. See her writeups on Vanadis for an example. In fact, she starts out cautiously optimistic on P-P S2 before becoming very much not.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 29, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So the alternative to a dystopian system controlling everyone was another dystopian system controlling everyone in a slightly different way? Will we see a clash of the systems or something?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, ANN episode reviews are perfectly capable of giving a 'meh' reaction or acknowledging a series's pros and cons (in fact, they tend to be solid, reliable reviewers with a good eye for detail, excluding Theron Martin and Lauren Orsini), and Chapman is no exception. See her writeups on Vanadis for an example. In fact, she starts out cautiously optimistic on P-P S2 before becoming very much not.

I put Psycho-Pass 2 on hold so I can't really argue for or against her perspective. Yet it wouldn't be the first time that any of the ANN reviewers is either more negative or more positive towards a show than what seems to be normal around here. Chapman in particular tends to write some very interesting reviews, but there's no absolute guarantee people will like or dislike the same things she does, let alone to an equivalent degree. To use an unrelated example, I thought she was a little too generous with her justification of the pacing issues in Attack on Titan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

I put Psycho-Pass 2 on hold so I can't really argue for or against her perspective. Yet it wouldn't be the first time that any of the ANN reviewers is either more negative or more positive towards a show than what seems to be normal around here. Chapman in particular tends to write some very interesting reviews, but there's no absolute guarantee people will like or dislike the same things she does, let alone to an equivalent degree. To use an unrelated example, I thought she was a little too generous with her justification of the pacing issues in Attack on Titan.

Certainly, but I'm kind of surprised that so few of the issues she brings up have been mentioned here at all, even in the sense of 'yeah, that's bad, but it's not a dealbreaker'. It's almost like she and this thread have been watching two different shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sylphid posted:

It's the mystery aspect that's doing it for me for this season. Every week leaves me wanting to know more about what's going on, which is why this last episode was probably my favorite of the season so far. It's a different beast than the first series, but it's still entertaining watching and always leaves me wanting to watch the next episode.

Same. Lately, I don't read recent developments as "this insults the series' previous intelligence" like a lot of my twitter feed has so much as "turns out PP works as a decent dumb action show in addition to working as a decent dumb police procedural." Whouda thunk?

Things have gotten pretty bugnuts retarded for the past few episodes, but I dunno. poo poo like walking "jumbles of corpses" and what happened with that hostage situation are super stupid, this writing has been absolutely crazy, but something about it all just strikes me as being just ludicrously grim enough to feel like it still makes sense for Psycho-Pass, if that makes sense. Plus, it's been way more entertaining for me than the first series ever was, much as I enjoyed it.

All the show's technical and storytelling flaws are ones it shares with its predecessor, anyway. Spotty animation? Seemingly ludicrous plot twists that stretch suspension of disbelief and make the world seem stupid for allowing them? Conveyed entirely through talking and exposition? That doesn't remind me of anything.

• Locked thread