Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Niemat posted:

How long will a home prepared stock keep in the fridge?

I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to ask, but I opted for it since there have been a few discussions of making stock at home in the past, and I'm asking in the interest of not throwing stuff away and therefore wasting money! :v: However, I can definitely move it to general questions, if need be.

You can reduce it even more and then freeze it in an ice cube tray before putting the cubes in a ziplock bag to keep in your freezer, then add it to whatever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

serious norman posted:

$15 on 2 weeks.
Wtf should I put in my fat face?

Try to find the stores with managers special vegetables. I got like 4 zucchini for $1

Of course they went bad because they needed to be used that day and I forgot about them but if you use them immediately its fine. Fried rice with zucchini is solid.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

serious norman posted:

$15 on 2 weeks.
Wtf should I put in my fat face?

Check out budgetbytes and Epicurious for ideas for cheap cooking. Budgetbytes specifically just did a 30 day SNAP challenge blog, which had a lot of insight and some good recipes. Obviously the listed prices will vary from what you can get, but it's all good advice all around.

If you want actual advice instead of links, it really heavily depends on what you currently have in stock. The various meats will cost you the most money in general, so finding meals that work around that or omit them entirely is the best way to go. Protein can be found in good quantities in other places though, like beans, nuts, eggs, etc., so using those in meals instead is going to generally be cheaper and healthier for you. Good base items to have for meals are bags of rice, bags of dry beans, leafy green, veggies with said greens still attached, bones from previous animals you've consumed, stock/broth, and a pantry full of seasonings.

One good meal that is easy and cheap to make is Budgetbytes' Dragon Noodles. It's really simple, just eggs, noodles, butter, crushed red pepper, green onion, soy sauce, sriracha, and brown sugar. The recipe itself takes ~15 minutes to make, and is really filling, but can be bulked out even more by adding in chopped veggies and greens. You can make it cheaper by subbing the green onion(which can cost $2 for a bunch when you only need 2) for an onion(which you should have laying around), and using a bit of vegetable/canola oil and salt instead of butter.

So, we know your budget, so give us an idea of what you've got to work with and we'll go from there.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Bean soup is delicious and costs almost nothing.

I made this the other day and it's very, very good. I tossed in some ham I had laying around, but it's not required.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/09/slow-cooker-white-bean-soup/

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Cheers y'all!

ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014

EVG posted:

I made this the other day and it's very, very good. I tossed in some ham I had laying around, but it's not required.

i'm tossing this together for tomorrow! sounds absolutely delicious, and i've got some leftover smoked pork loin that'll go great in it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

EVG posted:

I've made this before and it was really tasty. The only problem I had with it was that I'd be hungry about an hour later. Beans just never fill me up for long.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Leper Residue posted:

I've made this before and it was really tasty. The only problem I had with it was that I'd be hungry about an hour later. Beans just never fill me up for long.

That's what the grilled cheese sandwiches are for. :)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My father just introduced me to warm milk with molasses.

We were bitching about how hard it is to find good molasses, having to search all over for blackstrap, and even large jars/jugs of decent molasses. And he said, "you could always tell when it was getting to the end of the month because Grammie would feed us things probably not fit for human consumption. But the one thing we looked forward to was milk and molasses. She'd mix up a small cup for each of us."

My daughter promptly demanded I make some and it is pretty much New England in a glass.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I can spend essentially no money this month, so I've been having to get creative with my cooking. I had some flour for some inexplicable reason (I don't bake), but no yeast. So, I made hardtack for the first time. It's, uh. It's food alright.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pharmaskittle posted:

I can spend essentially no money this month, so I've been having to get creative with my cooking. I had some flour for some inexplicable reason (I don't bake), but no yeast. So, I made hardtack for the first time. It's, uh. It's food alright.

Do you have baking soda and baking powder? Butter? Milk and vinegar (or buttermilk, which is as cheap as milk if you make it, and it lasts forever in the fridge)?

12 ounces all purpose flour, chilled
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 ounce unsalted butter, chilled and diced
2 ounces vegetable shortening, chilled
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425°F
Mix dry ingredients well. Cut in butter then shortening using your fingers, until the texture resembles coarse crumbs. Don't over do it and don't let the fats get too warm.
Add buttermilk and mix only enough to incorporate. Turn out onto a floured board/counter.
Fold the dough two or three times, press or roll it out to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick, and cut to desired size. Consolidate and fold the remains a couple of times, flatten, and cut more.
Place them, barely touching, on a half-sheet baking pan lined with a Silpat and use your thumb to make a dimple in the center of each biscuit. Brush lightly with buttermilk and bake for about 20 minutes, until delicious.

Makes about 8-10 biscuits of a reasonable size.

I keep a few baggies of this stuff (enough for a couple biscuits) in the freezer, so I can add buttermilk and 20 minutes later have biscuits.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have made biscuits a few times in the last few weeks, and I never have buttermilk on hand so I made the baking powder variety. Might be helpful.

2 cups flour
1 scant tsp salt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
2 to 5 Tbsp cold butter (more is better if you have it to spare)
7/8 cup milk or plain yogurt

Mix dry ingredients, cut butter into bits. Either mix in food processor, or pick up some of the dry ingredients with butter bits and rub them together, repeat until blended well. (Much easier in the food processor if you have one.) Stir in milk/yogurt, handle as little as possible; recipe says knead 10 times, no more. Roll or press into a 3/4" thick rectangle, cut out ~2" rounds with a glass. Re-roll as needed, bake at 450F for 7 to 9 minutes.

Recipe is Bittman's, I've used it a bunch and it's good.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

neogeo0823 posted:

You can make it cheaper by subbing the green onion(which can cost $2 for a bunch when you only need 2) for an onion(which you should have laying around), and using a bit of vegetable/canola oil and salt instead of butter.

Put green onions in a vase and they'll thrive, they grow so fast that if you don't eat green onion all the time you'll easily end up with more than you started with. You can even eat them, put the root ends back in the vase (leave a bit of the white part intact), wait a few weeks and eat them again. They don't even care if you forget to water them all the time since they can store it in their root, I only water mine maybe once every two weeks.

They're great in/on anything asian food related, on tacos, with anything that would taste good with leeks, in mashed potatoes, salads... Green onions rule :buddy:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had no idea, definitely doing that.

Along those lines, I bought some fresh basil and put it in a vase. How long should it stay usable, and do I need to do anything besides change the water occasionally and leave it by a window? Mine started to wilt within a couple days.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Buy basil in a pot with soil. Keep the soil moist by watering every day. Always pick the youngest new leaves and let the large and old leaves on the plant.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Somebody in possibly this thread advocates buying a ton of them from Trader Joes and planting them. I've never had them work well, bought one and kept it under a grow light and watered a day after the soil would go dry (or whatever the actual cycle is, I know it's an arid plant) and it didn't last long

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The soil needs to be wet all the time. My brother is very diligent with watering his basil daily and it has grown to a monstrous size.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Then this loving book lied to me

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you're using a direct heat source with the plant you're going to need to water it more often than daily if it's drying out so quickly (or check if your soil is the wrong kind?).

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

guppy posted:

I had no idea, definitely doing that.

Along those lines, I bought some fresh basil and put it in a vase. How long should it stay usable, and do I need to do anything besides change the water occasionally and leave it by a window? Mine started to wilt within a couple days.

I've tried that and the results have been mixed, after wilting and barely surviving for a while some would start to grow roots and then start producing leaves again. It was a totally useless endeavour, cut basil stays fresh way longer wrapped in a wet towel in the fridge. I think basil needs too much water, without roots it simply can't suck up enough. I've had good luck with parsley though.

But yes buy pots and only pick the top leaves. If you look closely you can see tiny babyleaves in the "armpits" of every pair of big leaves. If you pinch the stem off just above those the babyleaves will both grow into a new stalk. This is why a healthy basil plant will only get better and bushier the more you abuse it. Putting it in a bigger pot than the one it came in from the store might help prevent drying out as well as letting them soak up water from below instead of watering from above. Direct sunlight is also very important.

I've had a million basil plants die on me no matter what I did, then suddenly it stopped. It's like the Basil Fairy granted me a wish, I have no clue what I'm doing differently. Meanwhile every fern I touch dies :iiam:

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 26, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone getting in on turkey giveaways this year? One roasted turkey can feed you for a long-rear end time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I swoop up turkeys after thanksgiving. Same with hams after easter. Hell I buy the majority of my meat as day or expiration discount and freeze it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I don't celebrate holidays, but I do appreciate that around this time every year sweet potatoes are freaking dirt cheap.

Sweet Potato and lentil stew/curries.

Sweet potato fritters

Sweet potato casserole

Sweet potato french fries.

I'll be living off of sweet potatoes for the next month.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PiratePing posted:

I've tried that and the results have been mixed, after wilting and barely surviving for a while some would start to grow roots and then start producing leaves again. It was a totally useless endeavour, cut basil stays fresh way longer wrapped in a wet towel in the fridge. I think basil needs too much water, without roots it simply can't suck up enough. I've had good luck with parsley though.

But yes buy pots and only pick the top leaves. If you look closely you can see tiny babyleaves in the "armpits" of every pair of big leaves. If you pinch the stem off just above those the babyleaves will both grow into a new stalk. This is why a healthy basil plant will only get better and bushier the more you abuse it. Putting it in a bigger pot than the one it came in from the store might help prevent drying out as well as letting them soak up water from below instead of watering from above. Direct sunlight is also very important.

I've had a million basil plants die on me no matter what I did, then suddenly it stopped. It's like the Basil Fairy granted me a wish, I have no clue what I'm doing differently. Meanwhile every fern I touch dies :iiam:

Every time I've tried keeping a potted herb bought in a supermarket, it has succumbed to a mold in the roots or similar after a few weeks.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I bought basil in a pot because I needed it for dinner when a friend came over.
We went out for dinner instead and the basil plant stood on my table for a couple of days, before I decided I didn't like the smell and I'm not a basil fan either, so it didn't get eaten.

placed it outside, and it got some rain on it the second day, that made half of the plant collapse..lovely thing.

then I watered it regularly, as i was watering other plants in the garden anyway and I was too lazy to throw it out.

After a few weeks, the thing began to grow like weed; in one week time after that, it became so big that it looked ridiculous on the little table I had placed it on.

Anyway, it kept growing and growing and in the end i threw the whole thing out as I had an incredible amount of drosophila-like little flies in the kitchen, and the internet told me they came from the soil in the basil pot.
The flies indeed left with the basil.

the end.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Welp. I started reading this thread and I feel like a total rear end in a top hat after reading some peoples food budgets and food struggles. I do live in a city with a really high cost of living, and food is really expensive, but drat. Every single dinner I make has meat in it. I will endeavor to do better.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Echeveria posted:

Welp. I started reading this thread and I feel like a total rear end in a top hat after reading some peoples food budgets and food struggles. I do live in a city with a really high cost of living, and food is really expensive, but drat. Every single dinner I make has meat in it. I will endeavor to do better.

You can overdo it with vegan food too. Filling with starch or a bread goes a long way since even store bought is cheap. Learn to make bread! Easiest way is beer bread. 3 cups self rising flour, 12 oz beer, .5 cup brown sugar, 50 @375, put melted butter on top, 3 mins more, and done. Lots of opportunities to throw in spices to change it up. Old bay is best

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
I've always killed basil plants or even if they manage to live they go all moldy and house tiny little rear end in a top hat flies. I now just buy a big bunch of basil and freeze it. Frozen herbs work great for adding flavour to curries, tomato sauces and stews.

AgentCack
Nov 9, 2014
OKONOMIYAKI is cheap, easy and friggin tasty! It's a Japanese "pancake".

200 grams cabbage chopped (1/4 a small head)
2 scallions finely chopped
140 grams flour - all-purpose (~1 cup)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup water
6 strips of bacon chopped

ONIONS, CARROTS, what ever other CRAP you wanna throw in.

You mix everything in a bowl until mixed well and then you pan fry the dough for about 6-8 per side.
NOTE: I found it to be a bit heavy, so you may want to chop it into smaller quarters b4 flipping.
NOTE 2: It's REALLY TASTY with a smear of mayo, and a drizzle of soy sauce.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Leper Residue posted:

I don't celebrate holidays, but I do appreciate that around this time every year sweet potatoes are freaking dirt cheap.

Sweet Potato and lentil stew/curries.

Sweet potato fritters

Sweet potato casserole

Sweet potato french fries.

I'll be living off of sweet potatoes for the next month.

Here ya go..... http://greatist.com/health/45-delicious-and-healthy-sweet-potato-recipes

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Great tips in this here thread, but I'd like to add some bits from my perspective.
Food prices up here (mid to North Vancouver Island) are a lot higher than most of the prices quoted in the thread, but most of the tips remain true: ie, rice and beans are going to be cheaper than steak, etc. One exception to this is our farmer's markets. Any I've been to in the past five years have been far more expensive than the grocery store. The dreadlocked "farmers" who show up at these markets seem to think they are entitled to a good living for their family off of a 5 acre plot of hobby farm. It appears to be a given that you should pay at least twice market price because they have chosen the least efficient farming methods available. Apparently it's good for your chi, or will increase your energy or some such BS. Reminds me of the Simpsons bit Artisanal Nuclear. "It might cost more, but maybe that's the point."
For us, the best bet for low cost & high quality is to get to know some farmers around the area, and buy directly from their farm. It's not too hard to find a place where they actually look after their animals well, and don't charge an arm and a leg. Might not be "organic", but you can usually find out who uses hormone implants / mass injections of antibiotics and who shies away from these practices. Also: catching your own fish and/or buying "ceremonial and subsistence" fish from the Indians/Aboriginals/Indigenous/Natives/First Nations (sketchy and illegal, but tough to prosecute and super affordable)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Reminder to people who go for manager's specials in the hopes of freezing and using later: It's a terrible frigging idea to do that with seafood. Don't make the mistake I did, don't say "these crab legs will be great later." They will not be. At all.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I swoop up turkeys after thanksgiving. Same with hams after easter. Hell I buy the majority of my meat as day or expiration discount and freeze it.

Weird, I'd have thought that turkey would still be in demand up to Christmas. I do this with corned beef after St Patrick's though. Stuff freezes really well; it was great having a bunch of people snowed in last year and having to feed them, I just pulled out 10 lbs of frozen fatty meat that cost maybe $10.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 4, 2014

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Weird, I'd have thought that turkey would still be in demand up to Christmas. I do this with corned beef after St Patrick's though. Stuff freezes really well; it was great having a bunch of people snowed in last year and having to feed them, I just pulled out 10 lbs of frozen fatty meat that cost maybe $10.

Dude, Fourth of July and hot dogs (they don't need to be frozen!). Moreso than any other holiday by a wide margin, it seems my Kroger heftily overbuys chips, beer, and hot dogs for Independence Day. The sheer volume of Woodchuck I picked up this year...

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Reminder to people who go for manager's specials in the hopes of freezing and using later: It's a terrible frigging idea to do that with seafood. Don't make the mistake I did, don't say "these crab legs will be great later." They will not be. At all.

I did that with some skin on Mahi Mahi a few weeks ago, is it a total loss?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KettleWL posted:

I did that with some skin on Mahi Mahi a few weeks ago, is it a total loss?

Most meat -- particularly fish -- transforms into soggy Cheerios after being frozen twice. If it's the kind of store that has managers specials to get rid of meat, it's the kind of store that received it frozen.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Freeing things with cells is a tricky process since the ice crystals that form destroy the membrane/walls as they grow. Very quick flash frozen stuff gets around this but typical household freezers are much to slow and mushify organic materials, whether they are fish or berries.

Once something has thawed its time to use it. Refreezing isn't really an option.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Most meat -- particularly fish -- transforms into soggy Cheerios after being frozen twice. If it's the kind of store that has managers specials to get rid of meat, it's the kind of store that received it frozen.

I knew the first part, never thought about the second (that it's been frozen before I got it), but of course it makes sense. Ugh. I guess we'll see, but not counting on it optimistically.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KettleWL posted:

I knew the first part, never thought about the second (that it's been frozen before I got it), but of course it makes sense. Ugh. I guess we'll see, but not counting on it optimistically.

Worst case scenario, if it does come out as mush, use it to make fish balls/fish cakes/fish salad/some other preparation that doesn't rely on whole filets.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Basically any fish you buy that isn't from a local fisherman has been frozen out on the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Midniter posted:

Worst case scenario, if it does come out as mush, use it to make fish balls/fish cakes/fish salad/some other preparation that doesn't rely on whole filets.

Recommendations? Only reason I ask is because I have a vacuum-packed wild trout fillet in the freezer that probably won't come out in DECENT condition.

*months old