Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Reverse Centaur posted:

FYI, nexus 6 is on (and quickly off) Canadian Google Play now. I somehow managed to grab a 32 gig blue one in the 30 second or so window.

How much was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WienerDog posted:

How much was it?

$749 for 32GB, $799 for 64GB. I can actually add one to my basket right now on the Play Store but I'm getting it through Rogers so I'm waiting!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

WienerDog posted:

How much was it?

$857.91 after tax and shipping for 32 gigs. I used to import lovely Nokias for that much so no sweat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
According to my Rogers business rep, Nexus 6 release date for them is Nov 26!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

According to my Rogers business rep, Nexus 6 release date for them is Nov 26!

Release date or pre-order date? Everyone on Google Play was given a December 16th shipping date.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Reverse Centaur posted:

Release date or pre-order date? Everyone on Google Play was given a December 16th shipping date.

Rep said "release date" :( It's already available on the registration system so I'm guessing that's actually release day?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently Google Play often ships earlier than the date they give so there's hope.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
The rep I was referring to is our business rep too, so dates might be different for that side of things?

vvv No idea man, this is just what she said.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 21, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been on a corporate Rogers plan for about five years and can't remember any launch times being different.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a question about 7-11 Speakout.

We want a very basic ppd plan phone for emergency purposes for my wife on the cheap. I have my old, old Galaxy S from Telus (unlocked) which I plan to press into service for this purpose.

My thought is to buy a 7-11 Speakout SIM for $10 and a $25 card, which will give 365 days of service for a total of $35. Is that the cheapest way to go? Speakout seems to have the best minutes expiry plan out of everyone that I've seen.

Also, since it is a smartphone what happens if it tries to use data? Can I disable all cell data process on an old 2.x android easily enough and just leave basic phone/texting intact?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

slidebite posted:

Also, since it is a smartphone what happens if it tries to use data? Can I disable all cell data process on an old 2.x android easily enough and just leave basic phone/texting intact?

If you don't turn mobile data on in settings this will never be an issue...?
You can lock it out completely by messing with the APN settings but seriously it's an on/off switch. Just note that you can't send or receive MMS texts (picture texts) without data.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
My contract with Rogers expired and I have ported my number to Koodo. I don't need to talk to Rogers about any of this except for the inevitable fight over the extra month they will try to bill me for, right?

Contract expired Nov. 22/14. Activated and ported my number to Koodo on Nov. 23/14. Expecting another Rogers Bill Dec. 15. As my billing cycle is on the 15th of every month, it is fair to pay Rogers for Nov. 15-Nov.23, but I'm expecting they'll want it all. Is it even worth fighting with them or should I queue up the CCTS?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This might be the wrong thread to ask, but has anyone with a Nexus gotten the lollipop push yet?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but has anyone with a Nexus gotten the lollipop push yet?

I just got a nexus 5 and lollipop was ready for me, but there's nothing on my nexus 4 yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got it on my Nexus 4 earlier in the week.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just bought a Nexus 5 and when it arrived on Thursday it had 4.4, but I pressed 'check for updates' and it offered me Lollipop immediately.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Been running on lollipop on my Nexus 5 for a few days now. Startup seems a little slower.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

reflex posted:

Is it even worth fighting with them or should I queue up the CCTS?

You were not required to give 30 days notice to cancel. Rogers won't bill you for past your cancellation date. It is a major part of the Wireless Code of Conduct that came into effect last year.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rep said "release date" :( It's already available on the registration system so I'm guessing that's actually release day?

Mobile Syrup is now confirming Nov 26, but it sounds like it will be a handful of phones and most people will have to wait until December and beyond.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/11/24/nexus-6-canadian-carrier-pricing-is-299-99-on-2-year-contract/

They were 100% sure it would be on the Canadian Google Play store the same day as the US, too though...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Reverse Centaur posted:

Mobile Syrup is now confirming Nov 26, but it sounds like it will be a handful of phones and most people will have to wait until December and beyond.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/11/24/nexus-6-canadian-carrier-pricing-is-299-99-on-2-year-contract/

They were 100% sure it would be on the Canadian Google Play store the same day as the US, too though...

I guess the rep was technically right then. Time to see if I can reserve one, business customers don't have access to the same consumer device registration system as everyone else :(

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
I read back a few pages but saw no mention of that maneuver where people signed up for a plan from another province and then ported their local number over to keep the cheaper plan from that province (Manitoba?).

Is that still a thing?

I'm looking to sign up for a new place in December and the Ontario plans are all so bad for 1 GB of data. :sigh:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Science posted:

I read back a few pages but saw no mention of that maneuver where people signed up for a plan from another province and then ported their local number over to keep the cheaper plan from that province (Manitoba?).

Is that still a thing?

I'm looking to sign up for a new place in December and the Ontario plans are all so bad for 1 GB of data. :sigh:

You should look into corporate plans if you can. I just got a pretty sweet 60$ plan through telus, and you might too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Nexus 6 officially out on Rogers today, just got an email from my corporate rep and I've ordered one!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nexus 6 officially out on Rogers today, just got an email from my corporate rep and I've ordered one!

When are you supposed to receive it?

Canadian Google Play has been in stock in and off all day, including 64gb and white.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
lol

This is on Bell's front page:

I can watch one whole video!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Reverse Centaur posted:

When are you supposed to receive it?

Canadian Google Play has been in stock in and off all day, including 64gb and white.

Not sure, waiting to hear back. The carrier stock is only Midnight Blue/32GB too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

lol

:smithicide:

We should save all these "promotions" to one webpage to illustrate them getting progressively worse over time.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
If you guys have a select smartphone on Rogers (off the top of my head, Samsung S3 and newer, HTC One or M8, LG Optimus G and newer, BB Z10, excludes iPhone, excludes windows phone) with a data plan and a Suretap NFC simcard (you'll know because it says SureTap on it) you can get a free $100 prepaid mastercard just for registering on the Suretap Wallet app.

I know what your thinking, "there must be some sort of crazy conditions!" because that's what I was thinking, but now I have a $100 credit that I'm about to liquidate into two $50 LCBO giftcards (afaik they have a $50 limit on tap purchases.)

All I did was launch the app, it needed an update from the playstore, and sign up for the Rogers Prepaid Mastercard. Less then 10 minutes later I had a $100 balance.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

lol

Koodo's 2nd cheapest plan is also 300/300, but country-wide calling and unlimited worldwide text/MMS.
And oh yeah it's $40.

Bell how... how... why? :what:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Scudworth posted:

Koodo's 2nd cheapest plan is also 300/300, but country-wide calling and unlimited worldwide text/MMS.
And oh yeah it's $40.

If you check their website, it's the plan for people who want the latest i/Galaxy S phone on subsidy. Koodo's equivalent is the Tab Large plan, which starts at $85 for unlimited minutes and 750MB of data.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Yeah, in the 1-2GB range I think all the providers end up being around the same price.
My $75 plan doesn't even exist anymore, to get the same 1GB I'd have to pay ~$100 per month.

They charge more for less and then have the balls to say "omg what a great deal of course I want to pay to suck your dick!"

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Scudworth posted:

And oh yeah it's $40.

It wasn't Bell's idea, it was Telus. Bell (and probably Rogers) matched it.

The primary purpose of that plan is that it allows you to get full subsidy on an iPhone, rather than spending $80 a month. It's targeted towards old people who want an iPhone but don't plan on using it much, or for kids when parents don't want to spend as much.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not sure, waiting to hear back. The carrier stock is only Midnight Blue/32GB too.

Apparently people are walking into carrier stores and buying them already. I wanted it off-contract so I will continue twiddling my thumbs until near Christmas...........

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mobilicity is apparently offering the $25 plan for $15 on Black Friday.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/11/26/mobilicity-to-deeply-discount-monthly-price-plans-for-black-friday/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am sure you guys are waiting with baited breath, but the 7-11 Speakout sim works great in my old spare Galaxy S. No data services whatsoever, but calls and texts are fine and keeping the time for a year is a nice plus.

lol

:wow:

FOR A LIMITED TIME.. because it will somehow get worse!
:smithicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol

How can they afford to be so generous? They give till it hurts.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 28, 2014

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

They charge more for less and then have the balls to say "omg what a great deal of course I want to pay to suck your dick!"

Exactly. It's things like this:

How does 300 MB cost $20 in 2014? Not even NASA pays that much to beam poo poo to the ISS.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Science posted:

How does 300 MB cost $20 in 2014? Not even NASA pays that much to beam poo poo to the ISS.

Technology actually gets more expensive over time. Except in Saskatchewan of course.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Science posted:

Is it possible to select no voice at all? 3GB of data for $45 wouldn't be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004
deleted ...

TheZodiac fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2014