Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I love Pingdong. $4k/mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

poetrywhore posted:

I love Pingdong. $4k/mo.

Well...normal dong isn't so cheap, but flat dong is. Not unexpected.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
If you are new to Taipei, you owe it to yourself to live in the middle of the city at least at first, especially if you can easily afford 20k a month. A bunch of new lines make living in Guting pretty convenient.

Once you are used to Taipei you can move to the depressing suburbs.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

on the left posted:

If you are new to Taipei, you owe it to yourself to live in the middle of the city at least at first, especially if you can easily afford 20k a month. A bunch of new lines make living in Guting pretty convenient.

Once you are used to Taipei you can move to the depressing suburbs.

I live in Banqiao district and am only paying 12k a month. Madness.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

rolecks posted:

Well we made it in. At immi the guy didn't even ask or look for the outward bound ticket confirmation. I had checked 'visa-exempt' on the form and he looked at it for less than 5 seconds, stamped it for 3-months and I was on my way.

Anyway, my gf just got the job near Guting station (wooo!) and now starts the search for an apt. I asked a few people last night and they all lived outside of the city proper and were paying A LOT less than the places I've seen advertised for nearby.

Does anyone have any names of neighborhoods/sections I should be looking in for a 1-br apt? We don't mind commuting in, but we would like something along the MRT so it won't take her more than like 45 mins to get to work. I'm hoping we can find something for ~20,000/mo.

Living around Guting MRT/Shida, or further down towards Gongguan will be at least 20,000/mo for a nice place. If you're sharing with more people you can find bigger places for less per month, but 1 bedroom apartments are expensive in the city. We did find some for cheaper than 20,000, but they were smaller than what we would have accepted. My first year I lived at Guting, and I was looking all along that area somewhat recently as well both for myself and a friend later. You might be able to knock the price down if a Taiwanese person negotiates with you, but the area you want is pricey because it's a good location and near the universities.

You could also look West of Da'an Park if you're willing to pay 20-23,000/mo. NW of the park is Dongmen MRT, which would put her at a maybe 10 minute commute to Guting MRT. SW of the park would put her on Heping Road, which is a 6-7 minute bus ride to Guting MRT.

West of Guting is all furniture stores and used appliances. Regardless of what you pick, I wouldn't live that way.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Slowpoke! posted:

West of Guting is all furniture stores and used appliances. Regardless of what you pick, I wouldn't live that way.

That was where I lived when I first got here. Had a 1 bathroom studio for 9000nt, it was ok. Living on the same street as all those furinture stores made hauling my giant leather chair back to my place a lot easier. It's not bad though, you're about 15 minutes from the ShiDa night market which still has a lot of places to eat and is a convenient detour on the way home.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
West of Da'an Park (East of Guting) is where it's at. You got Yongkong Street, you got Shida Night Market (plus, well, Shida), you're near a million MRT/Ubike stops and of course Da'an Park itself is right there. NTU/Gongguan, Tonghua Night Market, CKS Memorial Hall and the rest are not very far away either.
I rented a studio that way for 10,000, I feel like you could find a 1BR for 20,000.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've lived right by Da'an Park (pre-MRT, obviously), right by Guting, down in Jingmei, and up by Shuanglian and not once have I paid more than NT$12,000 a month (and that's including cable, management fee, and furnishings). Granted, it's always been shared, but my own personal rent has never gone over that and honestly I feel like if you can't get a room for sub $15,000 you're just not trying.

Meanwhile, everywhere else on the island, raucous laughter echoes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Meanwhile, everywhere else on the island, raucous laughter echoes.

I miss my NT$7,000/month 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen and reserved parking space in the underground garage back in rural Taichung :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Downtown HK rent is 140000 NTD a month,
suburbs with metro line is 48000 if you are lucky!

Maybe I should buy some apartments in taipei

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Good luck with that. Pretty sure the disparity between buying and renting property in Taipei is astronomical, like up there with the big boys on the international scene like Hong Kong, Tokyo, and New York.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Pandemonium posted:

Good luck with that. Pretty sure the disparity between buying and renting property in Taipei is astronomical, like up there with the big boys on the international scene like Hong Kong, Tokyo, and New York.

Yeah, someone mentioned to me that it would take the average family 70-something years of rent to be able to afford what it would cost to buy a place.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey it's election time? So what's the difference between the 2 candidates besides political party affiliation?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's all local stuff this year; city mayors and whatnot. Next presidential election is in 2016. Last I checked though it looks like the KMT is going to lose a few of the major city halls, including Taipei and Taichung.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Hey it's election time? So what's the difference between the 2 candidates besides political party affiliation?
I assume you mean for the Taipei mayoralty? The biggest different is that Ke is a bumblefuck autist who at least wants to do some good even if he'd be a poo poo mayor while Lian is a bumblefuck spoiled rich kid who wants to be president and desperately wants daddy's approval.

e:

Moon Slayer posted:

Last I checked though it looks like the KMT is going to lose a few of the major city halls, including Taipei and Taichung.
Taichung seems likely, Taipei I have my doubts. I honestly don't know if the Taipei pan-blue voters have just been holding back in the opinion polls because they legit don't want to vote for Lian, but will when the day comes, or whether Lian is genuinely such a bad candidate he's poo poo the bed in the deepest blue electorate in the country.

Also while we're on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgDPOicjnD0

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 26, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well keep me updated! I just wonder if there are any differences in policies between the two. Least you guys can vote. I just got pepper sprayed and my glasses got smashed

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 26, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What's a "policies"?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

What's a "policies"?

Arguing about who gets the latest giant animal statue.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

Well keep me updated! I just wonder if there are any differences in policies between the two. Least you guys can vote. I just got pepper sprayed and my glasses got smashed

You live in communist China, you should expect that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
抗命不認命啊大佬

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

抗命不認命啊大佬

喜怒哀樂,慮嘆變慹,姚佚啟態;樂出虛,蒸成菌。日夜相代乎前,而莫知其所萌。已乎已乎!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

I'm disappointed there aren't more Chinese Epic Rap Battles of History.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

I'm disappointed there aren't more Chinese Epic Rap Battles of History.
I'm both disappointed and glad there aren't. More would be cool, but it's also awesome that they felt inspired to just do this as a thing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Is there an English guide to signing up on tw.taobao.com? My laptop desperately needs it's RAM upgraded, but it's a 5 year old Compaq that's a special snowflake. The shops here that I know about don't carry what I need (DDR3 1333 PC10600), but I see that taobao carries some for relatively cheap.

I've been told that PC10666 is backwards compatible with PC10600, but I tried that and it didn't work. All the places here carry PC10666, but not 10600.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If it's 5 years old you are better off buying a new computer

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

caberham posted:

If it's 5 years old you are better off buying a new computer

Yeah, I know. If I could get one right now, I would. For now, I want to keep this thing on life support until I can afford a new computer.

e: Also need to stop using IE and start using Chrome more. IE just leaks memory.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 28, 2014

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm still in touch with a bunch of people from The China Post, so if anybody's interested I can keep the thread updated with election results for those of us who can't understand the news coverage.

Exit polls for Taipei mayor show Ko with a pretty significant lead.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Double posting because Lien has already conceded and so did the mayor of Taichung so that's two major losses for the KMT.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
I guess someone's going to feel a little blue tonight.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
How about that DPP. :drat: They beasted through pretty much every part of Taiwan except Taitung and nobody cares about Taitung.

hitension fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 29, 2014

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Is there an English guide to signing up on tw.taobao.com? My laptop desperately needs it's RAM upgraded, but it's a 5 year old Compaq that's a special snowflake. The shops here that I know about don't carry what I need (DDR3 1333 PC10600), but I see that taobao carries some for relatively cheap.

I've been told that PC10666 is backwards compatible with PC10600, but I tried that and it didn't work. All the places here carry PC10666, but not 10600.

http://search.ruten.com.tw/search/s000.php?searchfrom=indexbar&k=DDR3+1333+PC10600&t=0

If that's not exactly what you're looking for, search the site.

I'm sure you'll find it there.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Choooo chooooooooo KMT getting owned

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Green train can't stop won't stop

Maybe Taichung's MRT will get finished before I die of pollution now

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So what kind of policies will happen?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

So what kind of policies will happen?

banning umbrellas and Hong Kong tourists.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I, for one, am looking forward to the excitement of the 2017 Chinese invasion.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Did you guys watch Lucy?

Are the hospital scenes accurate of a Taiwanese hospital? When I heard the line "I GOT TO TO BACK AND STUDY" I immediately thought about you guys

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

Did you guys watch Lucy?

Are the hospital scenes accurate of a Taiwanese hospital? When I heard the line "I GOT TO TO BACK AND STUDY" I immediately thought about you guys

Not really, you can't just walk into the operating theater like that from the lobby. There's 3 layers of security/barriers before you get there. The operating theater felt a bit odd too, not like the ones I've seen. As for the lobby, I've been to that one and that's just how it looks, but how the people act/react is just pure fantasy. For instance, there's no way that doctor would have spoken English that well (誤

Lucy kinda felt really ridiculous, because, as an American, I could imagine that stuff happening in American cities I've lived in, but not Taipei. There's no way someone is getting shot in broad daylight mere meters from the 101 building, at ~that~ fancy hotel without attracting at least 100 cops. Much less by a Korean. Ha!

...that poo poo only happens in Taichung.

Barto fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 2, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ah I see, so it was really shot in a Taiwan hospital huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Taiwan health care rules. Went in with a sore throat, in less than an hour and never leaving the exam room a tumor had been diagnosed and removed. Plus medicine for NT$340. Finding out next week if it was benign (probably, doc says).

Only registered members can see post attachments!