Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
One of the fun things about having a black family is that when we're arguing about politics we're usually trying to show who's the angriest about something we all agree was/is/will be hosed up.

The BEST thing about having a Jamaican family is that once everyone's itis has subdued we bust out the rum and have dance parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree; the most efficient means to lower demand for a product is to associate that product with use by the visibly-discernable poor.

Unfortunately, yes. Though nowadays it is rural poor. Cocaine is the real cash crop for cultivation so it's the best target for shaming. There's the double effect that even if we "legalize it" we still have to address the colonialist aspects of our drug production chains

The reports I've heard this year of Sinaloans finally beginning local cultivation in Mexico of coca should be alarming.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
minorities (other than asians obviously) have more fun than white people, this is the true oppression of the subjugated white race in obama's america

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Unfortunately, yes. Though nowadays it is rural poor. Cocaine is the real cash crop for cultivation so it's the best target for shaming. There's the double effect that even if we "legalize it" we still have to address the colonialist aspects of our drug production chains

The reports I've heard this year of Sinaloans finally beginning local cultivation in Mexico of coca should be alarming.

is local cultivation even possible? i thought coca was very specific to the andean climate

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

nutranurse posted:

One of the fun things about having a black family is that when we're arguing about politics we're usually trying to show who's the angriest about something we all agree was/is/will be hosed up.

The BEST thing about having a Jamaican family is that once everyone's itis has subdued we bust out the rum and have dance parties.

I really like my family, but I may ask to trade for your family next Thanksgiving.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

is local cultivation even possible? i thought coca was very specific to the andean climate

That's kind of the crazy part of it

Honestly I'm embarrassed to talk cartel chat here because there's no way to sound like conspiracy theory person but all the major cartels are billion+/yr businesses so you'd be dumb to think that developing a sophisticated coca cultivation program locally isn't part of their R&D

And of course if it's true Sinaloa would get it first.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree; the most efficient means to lower demand for a product is to associate that product with use by the visibly-discernable poor.
The creation of crack cocaine is one of the greatest unsung marketing coups of the modern age. Give the same product different packaging for the poors, while the rich people get it in a different "premium" form.

Berke Negri posted:

Honestly I'm embarrassed to talk cartel chat here because there's no way to sound like conspiracy theory person but all the major cartels are billion+/yr businesses so you'd be dumb to think that developing a sophisticated coca cultivation program locally isn't part of their R&D

IIRC there is already some coca cultivation that goes on in Mexico, in Sinaloa and Michoacan I believe. Or is that opium? Been a while since I've done a lot of reading on the cartels.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 28, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

That's kind of the crazy part of it

Its not conspiracy when you look at the data. Yes, some cartels have evidence-based horticultural R&D. We'd know when they invent something by changes in logistics trends.

Further, I favor a policy of RJ Reynolds being given grants of land in Uganda for purposes of marijuana plantations under an American-subsidized free trade policy. People laugh at me; drugs are just another cash crop with high margins and political will for enhanced regulation.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dr. Rockzo from Metalocalypse is some of the best anti-cocaine viral marketing I've ever seen by the way.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Gail Wynand posted:

Dr. Rockzo from Metalocalypse is some of the best anti-cocaine viral marketing I've ever seen by the way.
HE DOES COCAINE!
Seriously dude, a lot of cocaine.

Actually I think he's clean now.:v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gail Wynand posted:

really just being sober and around someone high on coke is really good argument for never doing it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Gail Wynand posted:

The creation of crack cocaine is one of the greatest unsung marketing coups of the modern age. Give the same product different packaging for the poors, while the rich people get it in a different "premium" form.

IIRC there is already some coca cultivation that goes on in Mexico, in Sinaloa and Michoacan I believe. Or is that opium? Been a while since I've done a lot of reading on the cartels.

I don't think the science is really the barrier, it's security/politics. Local mass-coca cultivation is kind of the nuclear option for south of the border. If you can cut out the middleman and just funnel coke directly from Mexico that is a game changer. It is less can they do it, more like holy poo poo they are secure enough that no one is showing up to kill everyone involved. Never heard of Michoacan getting to that level, though the Templares could prob be considered a religious terrorist group.

Then there's the whole deal that all the opiates coming from southeast Asia, but American's can easily get that from their GP.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

I don't think the science is really the barrier, it's security/politics. Local mass-coca cultivation is kind of the nuclear option for south of the border. If you can cut out the middleman and just funnel coke directly from Mexico that is a game changer. It is less can they do it, more like holy poo poo they are secure enough that no one is showing up to kill everyone involved. Never heard of Michoacan getting to that level, though the Templares could prob be considered a religious terrorist group.
Yeah you're probably right, like I said, my memory is fuzzy.

quote:

Then there's the whole deal that all the opiates coming from southeast Asia, but American's can easily get that from their GP.
Not anymore, thus heroin use loving exploding across the rural US in the past couple years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its not conspiracy when you look at the data. Yes, some cartels have evidence-based horticultural R&D. We'd know when they invent something by changes in logistics trends.

Further, I favor a policy of RJ Reynolds being given grants of land in Uganda for purposes of marijuana plantations under an American-subsidized free trade policy. People laugh at me; drugs are just another cash crop with high margins and political will for enhanced regulation.

My understanding is that marijuana is too drat easy to grow in America for that to be all that economically feasible (presuming legalization). It wasn't that long ago (80 years? Less?) that hemp was growing wild in American city streets because the seed was commonly part of birdseed mixes. With widespread legalization the price of Mj would plummet catastrophically.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My understanding is that marijuana is too drat easy to grow in America for that to be all that economically feasible (presuming legalization). It wasn't that long ago (80 years? Less?) that hemp was growing wild in American city streets because the seed was commonly part of birdseed mixes. With widespread legalization the price of Mj would plummet catastrophically.

As I'm aware of it weed is nothing in the scheme of things. I mean, you can grow and make your own weed if you have the patience and, like, half of north California is legal weed fiefdoms.

Opiates and coca are the big deals because that's the stuff that require globalised chains and infrastructure to maintain supply.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Legalization of consumption of refined products does not necessarily mean legalization of tax evasion on production of said products. The same argument could be made for coconuts, yet here we are. Fundamentally, marijuana is just another agricultural commodity. Sure, some hobbyists will try to grow their own at home; the real money comes from the vertically-integrated production, logistics, and distribution structure.

Berke Negri posted:

As I'm aware of it weed is nothing in the scheme of things. I mean, you can grow and make your own weed if you have the patience and, like, half of north California is legal weed fiefdoms.

Opiates and coca are the big deals because that's the stuff that require globalised chains and infrastructure to maintain supply.

Its a matter of economies of scale. You can't have an industrial coca operation under a vertically integrated structure in America without it being noticed by someone. Weed is merely a matter of time now that small-holder corn farmers have found out just how much the "street value" of weed is, versus the margins on corn. They already know the margins on weed; they pay them.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Legalization of consumption of refined products does not necessarily mean legalization of tax evasion on production of said products. The same argument could be made for coconuts, yet here we are. Fundamentally, marijuana is just another agricultural commodity. Sure, some hobbyists will try to grow their own at home; the real money comes from the vertically-integrated production, logistics, and distribution structure.

There are significant social and structural differences when the product is addictive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I believe someone did a study and it got linked in the drug legalization thread, that showed that weed grown with the resources at hand for a medium size tobacco company should cost like $1-$3 a pound, before taxes, if you still wanted to have a healthy profit margin for the company built in before it's packaged into something like premade cigarettes or marketing is done.

The result being that even if you put on taxes of like 500% on top of the markup the company puts on, weed would still be ridiculously cheap.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

There are significant social and structural differences when the product is addictive.

Not really, no. There are significant social and structural differences when the product is addictive and seen to be used by the poor.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I believe someone did a study and it got linked in the drug legalization thread, that showed that weed grown with the resources at hand for a medium size tobacco company should cost like $1-$3 a pound, before taxes, if you still wanted to have a healthy profit margin for the company built in before it's packaged into something like premade cigarettes or marketing is done.

The result being that even if you put on taxes of like 500% on top of the markup the company puts on, weed would still be ridiculously cheap.

Yes, the question of legalization is no longer one of 'if'; its one of when, where, and how.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 28, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not really, no. There are significant social and structural differences when the product is addictive and seen to be used by the poor.

To be fair, Vox is the same robot that went beep boop meth and coke are both Schedule II Narcotics what's the difference??

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
all the football games today sucked and were boring to watch although it was funny to see the cowboys humiliated by mark sanchez

now i am home from a dumb day of work so it is time for me to drunken myself as befits this fine holiday

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Berke Negri posted:

To be fair, Vox is the same robot that went beep boop meth and coke are both Schedule II Narcotics what's the difference??

That's...not what I said. I mentioned believing that cocaine was as addictive as methamphetamine, and to the best of my knowledge that hasn't actually been contradicted by anyone here. The sources I've looked up since say that cocaine causes higher dependence rates.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I can't tell what you're actually arguing, again. From what perspective aren't the products different? They have different societal effects if they are and aren't addictive- that's pretty obvious because the demand functions differently. Or are you running your gimmick again? I can't tell.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 28, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

eh there's a fair bit of labor in growing consumption worthy weed, particularly because of issues of female plants becoming useless hermaphrodites if male plants are not properly culled. i think this is basically what the gay agenda is

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

this is basically what happened to the older northern ca growers after medical was legalized; prices on their sole cash crop went into the toilet

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126806429

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

eh there's a fair bit of labor in growing consumption worthy weed, particularly because of issues of female plants becoming useless hermaphrodites if male plants are not properly culled. i think this is basically what the gay agenda is

ya wouldn't need most of that labor if you could easily cross-state finance equipment is the thing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

That's...not what I said. I mentioned believing that cocaine was as addictive as methamphetamine, and to the best of my knowledge that hasn't actually been contradicted by anyone here. The sources I've looked up since say that cocaine causes higher dependence rates.

I can't tell what you're actually arguing, again. From what perspective aren't the products different? They have different societal effects if they are and aren't addictive- that's pretty obvious because the demand functions differently. Or are you running your gimmick again? I can't tell.

I'm saying it doesn't matter whether or not you use an addictive substance, it matters whether you generative more revenue than the perceived costs associated with your addictive substance of choice.

comes along bort posted:

this is basically what happened to the older northern ca growers after medical was legalized; prices on their sole cash crop went into the toilet

That's the point when you realize you should've vertically integrated and formed a marketing board to purchase the crop from you at a decent mark-up while also forming a sufficiently capitalized lobbying arm in order to grant your marketing board a monopoly on purchase and distribution of the substance.

Basically, beer distributors.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 28, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

that's if you don't plant feminized seeds

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm saying it doesn't matter whether or not you use an addictive substance, it matters whether you generative more revenue than the perceived costs associated with your addictive substance of choice.

OK, so, gimmick, right.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, the question of legalization is no longer one of 'if'; its one of when, where, and how.
We need to start asking questions of where do your drugs come from, how are they produced, what are the costs?

Your average drogas promoter doesn't care about this because they're a white piece of poo poo but if you can't turn on your iPhone without seeing on Facebook that foxconn employees are killing themselves everyday you also should have blared at you that the line you're doing was brought to you by narco peasants getting sick and dying from chemical poisoning

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

yeah and that price impact they've hit so far still has many other things holding up: lack of full scale legality, lack of ability for big time companies to get involved and run leaner operations, lack of true cross-national selling markets and growing markets.

current laws make it so that all the various legal weed areas have to operate independently of each other. big things will come about once carrying it across state lines stops being considered a crime or a reason to lock out a bank account

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

We need to start asking questions of where do your drugs come from, how are they produced, what are the costs?

Your average drogas promoter doesn't care about this because they're a white piece of poo poo but if you can't turn on your iPhone without seeing on Facebook that foxconn employees are killing themselves everyday you also should have blared at you that the line you're doing was brought to you by narco peasants getting sick and dying from chemical poisoning

"sufficiently capitalized marketing board and lobbying organization" is the answer to the drogas issue. Really, all you need is a 7-8% greater subsidization than your competition to force them out of the market

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, so, gimmick, right.

Let me ask you this: What viable alternatives have worked?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jagchosis posted:

minorities (other than asians obviously) have more fun than white people, this is the true oppression of the subjugated white race in obama's america
My observation after growing up in rural, poor America and then going on to school with wealthy, urban America and then living abroad and traveling all over is that until you hit utter homelessness levels of poverty, the poorer people are the more visceral fun they are and the wealthier people are the less visceral fun they are. The caveat is that there's a certain chaos to the fun of poor people that means a much higher chance of the evening ending with friends beating the poo poo out of each other with metal chairs and possibly someone shooting at someone. This holds true whether you're in rural Texas, Thailand, the Philippines, Cambodia - and lots of other places anecdotally - and doesn't vary greatly by race/ethnicity. Rural white rednecks are plenty of stupid fun, believe me, just like rural hispanic folks or rural Thai people or whatever (including many - especially Southeast - Asians!). It's just that all of these peoples are equally as likely to end up in like a vehicle that's somehow immobilized and doing something wrong that attracts law enforcement. The major variation is what happens after the cops show up, not before, heh.

Of course you're not going to have as many in-depth conversations about world events and what not, so enjoy doing the chicken dance or getting drunk next to a karaoke machine or having impromptu dance parties with regional liquor, but don't expect to drop references to Obama's Asia pivot or whatever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let me ask you this: What viable alternatives have worked?

Leaving aside the "viable alternatives" double-barrelling, you're still doing that thing where you leave most of the parts of your position out of your post. What are you trying to say?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

"sufficiently capitalized marketing board and lobbying organization" is the answer to the drogas issue. Really, all you need is a 7-8% greater subsidization than your competition to force them out of the market

I've told you this before in PMs but yes product conceptualization of imaging is easier than politics. Ill leave making drugs legal to other people, making coke uncool is a lot easier. Actually figuring out how to really fix Mexico is beyond everyone's paygrade.

But figuring it out should be the priority of people in America than it is now.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

My observation after growing up in rural, poor America and then going on to school with wealthy, urban America and then living abroad and traveling all over is that until you hit utter homelessness levels of poverty, the poorer people are the more visceral fun they are and the wealthier people are the less visceral fun they are. The caveat is that there's a certain chaos to the fun of poor people that means a much higher chance of the evening ending with friends beating the poo poo out of each other with metal chairs and possibly someone shooting at someone. This holds true whether you're in rural Texas, Thailand, the Philippines, Cambodia - and lots of other places anecdotally - and doesn't vary greatly by race/ethnicity. Rural white rednecks are plenty of stupid fun, believe me, just like rural hispanic folks or rural Thai people or whatever (including many - especially Southeast - Asians!). It's just that all of these peoples are equally as likely to end up in like a vehicle that's somehow immobilized and doing something wrong that attracts law enforcement. The major variation is what happens after the cops show up, not before, heh.

Of course you're not going to have as many in-depth conversations about world events and what not, so enjoy doing the chicken dance or getting drunk next to a karaoke machine or having impromptu dance parties with regional liquor, but don't expect to drop references to Obama's Asia pivot or whatever.

yeah i wasn't engaging in actual race determinism, but i have noticed that black and hispanic folk regardless of class are more fun to party with than the white folk. and yeah i'll definitely believe they have good parties in thailand, the global capital of hedonism

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i don't see the large agribusiness companies or tobacco getting into weed

industrial hemp, sure since there's a lot of industrial applications

ReindeerF posted:

The caveat is that there's a certain chaos to the fun of poor people that means a much higher chance of the evening ending with friends beating the poo poo out of each other with metal chairs and possibly someone shooting at someone.

chaos is the best word for it. also poorer people tend to yell at each other a lot more

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 28, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
also migf is really funny when he's posting ludicrously bad ideas. do that more often

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

nutranurse posted:

My family's thanksgiving was lots of awkward silences where everyone tries to avoid talking to one another because we all hate each other, but we can't just tell each other to gently caress off because grandma's there and she's gradually growing more senile and we don't want to worry/agitate her. I drank heavily and one of my cousins stabbed me in the thigh with a fork under the table as revenge for prior transgressions. Then I got dragged along for black friday shopping because they needed someone extra to stand in line and if I said no the shouting would start. So even though they knew I had to be at work at 6am I was out there until about 30 minutes ago. And I get to do it all again at christmas.

Basically what I'm saying is will your family adopt me please? I mean, I know I'm legally an adult and I might be the only white guy there but you can make fun of me behind my back and I won't mind.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

also migf is really funny when he's posting ludicrously bad ideas. do that more often

i just had a novel idea: the russians didn't defeat the germans; the american strategic bombing campaign forced the nazis to enact their final solution and population repression schemes, which defeated the germsns

thus, as in ww1, by bringing the germans under Malthusian dynamics were they defeated. the implication of this is that acquescence to elite change in systems of patrilinialist political order can only occur from use of military force when such use is coupled with prepatory campaign which induces malthusian dynamics among the populations of a given geographic area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

InequalityGodzilla posted:

My family's thanksgiving was lots of awkward silences where everyone tries to avoid talking to one another because we all hate each other, but we can't just tell each other to gently caress off because grandma's there and she's gradually growing more senile and we don't want to worry/agitate her. I drank heavily and one of my cousins stabbed me in the thigh with a fork under the table as revenge for prior transgressions. Then I got dragged along for black friday shopping because they needed someone extra to stand in line and if I said no the shouting would start. So even though they knew I had to be at work at 6am I was out there until about 30 minutes ago. And I get to do it all again at christmas.

Basically what I'm saying is will your family adopt me please? I mean, I know I'm legally an adult and I might be the only white guy there but you can make fun of me behind my back and I won't mind.

Wow, that's uh... that's pretty horrific. I've only had one awkward Thanksgiving and it involved friends instead of family, a gay friend started laying into a Mormon friend in the wake of Prop. 8 passing. At the time I thought it was mortifying, but they at least went off into another room to shout at each other, the rest of us ate awkwardly and pretended it wasn't happening. That seems almost pleasant in light of your experience.

• Locked thread