Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Snow Zombies is one of the best tropes of the Zombie genre. I'm all for Snow Zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My good friend just got a job on the new spin-off. Lucky bastard.

Can't wait until the crossover episode. "Glenn? Is that you? Hey, buddy! What are you doing in Boston?"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My good friend just got a job on the new spin-off. Lucky bastard.

Is the spin-off gonna work like Arrow and The Flash? They've done the serious, gritty thing, so now they can do a more light-hearted, fun show?

Will it have Frakensteins?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was under the impression that the spin-off is going to have more kids.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
How long does it take a dead body to decay when exposed to the environment? Shouldn't there be fewer zombies after 1 year?

Wyatt Derp fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 28, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ms Andry posted:

How long does it take a dead body to decay when exposed to the environment. Shouldn't there be fewer zombies after 1 year?

Now that you mention it, I'm starting to see this zombie thing as highly implausible

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ms Andry posted:

How long does it take a dead body to decay when exposed to the environment. Shouldn't there be fewer zombies after 1 year?

Basically all zombie fiction has decay for zombies completely stopped to keep them around. Otherwise you just have 28 Days Later where the "zombies" starve to death.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mewse posted:

The running dead?

The Crawling Comatose

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Lycus posted:

I was under the impression that the spin-off is going to have more kids.

Yeah, I think Rick's group is going to keep up the grittier survival on the road thing and the spin-off is going to be a lot like the Grady Hospital crew

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This show did the right thing by getting rid of all of the kids except two (one of which obviously has no dialogue).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Snow Zombies is one of the best tropes of the Zombie genre. I'm all for Snow Zombies.

Once they leave Georgia they'll be in snow country :toot:

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
I would like to see them make their way to Detroit and experience the zombies there, both living and dead.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ms Andry posted:

How long does it take a dead body to decay when exposed to the environment? Shouldn't there be fewer zombies after 1 year?

I think a lot of that decay is due to small carrion scavengers and insects, which are going to be put off when their meal keeps moving.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Decay works differently for zombies - their flesh persists, but their bones turn into tissue paper. Maybe they don't rot very fast because of all the calcium that migrates into soft tissues.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, but while they're driving Randall(?) the designated 18 miles from the farm, Rick starts talking about how they ought to plan for winter. I only remember that part because the WD thread for season 2 was making so much fun of how Andrew Lincoln said 'Lord of the Raaaaaaangs' in the scene when Rick was monologuing about how his cousin got stuck the winter before.

And an aside, but I'm from Buffalo, and given the freak, poo poo snowstorm that recently happened, I'd *love* to see some show look at post-apocalyptic stuff going down in western NY. By episode 2, everybody's frozen to death. Or starved because the snow's piled up so badly they can't get out the door to do a supply run.

They won't do this for the same reason Survivor won't shoot in cold weather; no girls in bikinis or crop top shirts.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

steinrokkan posted:

Decay works differently for zombies - their flesh persists, but their bones turn into tissue paper. Maybe they don't rot very fast because of all the calcium that migrates into soft tissues.

I did laugh when Carl was teaching the Preacher how to use the machete and he explicitly mentioned that sometimes you need to use more force to get the blade out if their skull is not soft.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ms Andry posted:

More importantly, how are they still so full of blood? They're like spurting sacks of the stuff... but wandering around in the punishing Georgia sun all day, wouldn't they dry out sooner or later? Do they hydrate? Do they crave water as well as flesh, and occasionally take a stumble down to a river to drink up? Even then, plenty of immobile or trapped zombies have been squishy sponges of liquid gore after years of dessication. What gives?

And how are they moving after all this time? Where does the kinetic energy from their moving body parts come from? There's no input. They try to eat things, but they don't seem to need it. And they aren't consuming themselves, as we can see they aren't deteriorating. What happened to the laws of thermodynamics? Are they creating energy? Somehow harnessing it from hitherto untapped sources? Perhaps when civilization reestablishes itself, it will end up being a utopian land of plenty, powered by armies of infinitely shambling zombies in giant hamster wheels, producing limitless free energy.

Zombies are basically magic. No good will come from nitpicking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
how do they move if movement is facilitated by nervous synapses, which are in turn dependent on fat, which is more vulnerable to decay than most tissues

Like, the whole premise makes no sense if you try to think about it - that's why the only good zombie stories use supernatural explanations, like the Hell overflowing and crap.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought World War Z (the book) mostly struck a good balance with its explanations. At some points it got into too much detail about how the survivors basically turned zombie slaying into a systematic routine, though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I prefer it when it's like 28 Days Later or this show, where it's, "ehhhh, some scientist somewhere probably knows, but we're busy eating cans of spam so, in practice, who cares." I know this is an irrational complaint, but literal magic zombies makes me throw my hands up and wonder if we're gonna see the characters run into a dracula or wolfmans next.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The virus that reanimates them also makes certain systems resistant to decomposition.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ms Andry posted:

I would like to see them make their way to Detroit and experience the zombies there, both living and dead.

Many times have I overlooked the city from my office window and fantasized about how the zombie apocalypse would play out in the D. It helps that there are hardly anyone ever on the streets and from a high rise the bums looks like the shambling dead.

Protip: Comerica park was decided to be one of the better places to hunker down. Lots of big fences and a nice big field to farm.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Yeah, there's probably never going to be a good explanation for the zombies (especially the long-term zombies. I mean, the napalm walkers' brains certainly would've rotted to nothing long before the 18-24 months or however far into the apocalypse we are now). The best we can do is be all "blah blah blah virus + zombies eating = brain stems and rudimentary nervous system" etc. and suspect our disbelief because that's what fictional entertainment typically demands. Even really great writers can't always explain everything sensibly (and Kirkman is not a great writer). We just need to accept their existence and their varying degrees of being made of iron and papier mache and roll with it.

Also, while I'm no Beth fan, I think from Dawn's perspective it kind of made sense for her to think Beth isn't weak. Dawn didn't see Beth wandering around crying for a whole season, and then spend the next being Judith's annoying singing nanny like we did. The hospital crew has only seen her latest incarnation, who is relatively defiant and ballsy and not afraid of getting decked by a rape-condoning, wishful-thinking moron and her little gang of creepy wannabe kidnapper cops.

I can't help being a little annoyed at Sasha (or more accurately, the writers' treatment of her) though; despite being rattled about Bob and still trying to be a good human being, it's dumb as hell to turn your back on a captive who stole and injured some of your friends.

killglance
Apr 13, 2012
Is anyone else annoyed that they ran with the Eugene arc with rick and the prime group. The entire time with him selling the mission, they never once mentioned their time at the cdc and how they saw all the other cdc labs go offline... yeah...

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

killglance posted:

Is anyone else annoyed that they ran with the Eugene arc with rick and the prime group. The entire time with him selling the mission, they never once mentioned their time at the cdc and how they saw all the other cdc labs go offline... yeah...

Could be lazy writing. Could be that Rick's group didn't understand what it meant (also, it seems plausible that the other labs could go offline without meaning they're totally ruined or overrun or whatever--it's not like they'd be responsible for keeping up the communications network, or even able to do it for any extended amount of time). Also, Eugene said he was with the Human Genome Project, an entity separate from the CDC.

It could also just be that Rick's group wants to believe there could be an end to the mess in sight (even if they're not as deluded about the possibility as Abraham's group is), and the greater Atlanta area hasn't been doing them much in the way of favors lately anyway, so why not consider waltzing towards DC.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I know this is an irrational complaint, but literal magic zombies makes me throw my hands up and wonder if we're gonna see the characters run into a dracula or wolfmans next.

Overcrowded Hell zombies are the best zombies, followed by Unexplained Zombies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

killglance posted:

I think it can be excused by the survivors just wanting some semblance of hope that they won't spend the rest of their short lives wandering a wasteland filled with hungry corpses, cannibals, and rape gangs.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

killglance posted:

I remember reading an interview with Kirkman awhile back where he specifically mentioned that the CDC storyline was a huge mistake in the first season. Supposedly, that whole "France was close to a cure before they went dark" plot point was something added by Frank Darabont and not approved by Kirkman. (Although, who knows how true that is.) At any rate, when Darabont got the boot, that whole storyline went with him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bumblebee posted:

I remember reading an interview with Kirkman awhile back where he specifically mentioned that the CDC storyline was a huge mistake in the first season. Supposedly, that whole "France was close to a cure before they went dark" plot point was something added by Frank Darabont and not approved by Kirkman. (Although, who knows how true that is.) At any rate, when Darabont got the boot, that whole storyline went with him.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really, really enjoyed the CDC storyline. It was probably the best storyline on the entire show. The promise of a safe place with a cure, followed by the group's entire hopes and dreams come crashing down on them. It really reinforced the post-apocalyptic setting: that there is no cure, and this is the world they have to live in now.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

enraged_camel posted:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really, really enjoyed the CDC storyline. It was probably the best storyline on the entire show. The promise of a safe place with a cure, followed by the group's entire hopes and dreams come crashing down on them. It really reinforced the post-apocalyptic setting: that there is no cure, and this is the world they have to live in now.

Agree with this 100%. The show peaked with that plot line and it's been struggling to get back to that level (and failing) ever since.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seconded. The CDC was great. I wondered why the characters seemed to be deliberately ignoring the fact that they've had some insider knowledge on the government response to the plague. Now I know it's because some dipshit showrunner wishes it never happened.

I know comparisons like these are probably tired, but can you imagine the writers of Breaking Bad saying "The ending of season 1 was a big mistake. We should have the characters act as though it never happened"?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The CDC arc was forced in, and the rest of the show ignores it because it never happened in the source material.

It's the same thing as the stuttering end of the Governor. His whole 'redemption' arc was all about getting the main story back on track, getting everyone out of the prison, and finally having Kirkman's omitted tank scene once the budget could accommodate it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

The CDC arc was forced in, and the rest of the show ignores it because it never happened in the source material.

It's the same thing as the stuttering end of the Governor. His whole 'redemption' arc was all about getting the main story back on track, getting everyone out of the prison, and finally having Kirkman's omitted tank scene once the budget could accommodate it.

The funny thing is I liked the redemption arc only because he was a good actor, and there was a an absolute gently caress ton of room to cause the same outcome but make it tragic - have Rick's group just flat out be like "No, gently caress you and your one good eye" in his sincere face. Or to have his loyal second in command decide that they were going to take the prison by force against his wishes. He could have gone out on a really interesting note of a villain that tried to do the right thing, and failed.

It'd been really neat, I think, anyway.

If they were going to have him just up and start killing people for no loving reason (the moment that whole story went to poo poo) just to reset things all over again.. I'd honestly preferred that whole series be about him raising an army with no hint of redemption, with a single track mind to go back and win. Instead we got a story that started one way, then three quarters of the way through slammed into a different gear.

... that said I do find it funny the whole time I kept saying "if he had both eyes, I'd honestly believe this was a prequel story to Woodsbury, this feels like the origin of Woodsbury," only to find out that the entire episode was pretty much lifted from a comic about the origin of Woodsbury. Stop and think about even the dumb final outcome for a second in that context: The woman he fell in love with and the little girl would fit perfectly into being the ones he lost even.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

More than anything, the Governor encapsulates a lot of the early show's flaws. As a character, he represented a lot of interesting ideas and concepts. They put a solid actor in the role, and then somehow managed to bungle and misfire every part of the delivery.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unzip and Attack posted:

Agree with this 100%. The show peaked with that plot line and it's been struggling to get back to that level (and failing) ever since.

That's what happens when you drop your show runner and double the number of episodes without doubling budget.

To be honest any show runner that gets the reigns now is in "damage control" mode. You can clearly see their response is to move everything far closer to the comics.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Which is a loving shame since the comics are Grade A horseshit. I'm honestly surprised with the quality of the show this season. Gimple is a godsend, managing Kirkman and still putting out quality.
I

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The comics are great, had a few flat spots but over all they are great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even if they mentioned the CDC, it would be very easy to shrug off.

:bahgawd: "The whole government network has gone black! There's no way to contact them or even know there is anybody still in charge!"
:geno: "Duh, that's why I need to personally get to Washington and see what can be done."

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah, I think Rick's group is going to keep up the grittier survival on the road thing and the spin-off is going to be a lot like the Grady Hospital crew

Walking Scrubs, perhaps? Could revive Zach Braffs career, and give us a lighthearted view of the apocalyptic world of Sared Heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

I prefer it when it's like 28 Days Later or this show, where it's, "ehhhh, some scientist somewhere probably knows, but we're busy eating cans of spam so, in practice, who cares." I know this is an irrational complaint, but literal magic zombies makes me throw my hands up and wonder if we're gonna see the characters run into a dracula or wolfmans next.

Nah they'd never have Wolfmans because they're too easy to dispatch.
Just kick 'em in the nards.

• Locked thread