Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think regarding the whole character interaction issue, part of it is they decided to have the format specifically centre on various schools fighting against each other, rather than just anybody who wants to fight and has the skills turning up to do so. This creates a bit of an issue that, most of the time, this gives the writers an easy out for not having the characters interact - in that they go to different schools and thus aren't as likely to see each other - yet also establishing archetypal teams for rudimentary 'characters'. So we've got the swimming team, the rich academy team, the science club team, and so forth. It allows for an aversion to actual effort in developing things, whilst with BF, because the main tournament was a long ways off, for a number of the rivals to be relevant, they had to be introduced long before their proper fights came along, which meant finding reasons for the two sides to meet outside of a gunpla fight, which means actual interaction. The closest things we've gotten in Try are the St Odessa team - which has Gyanko's crush to justify the continued interaction - and Sakai, but he's not even allowed to be a proper rival until he jumps onto a team that we'll have likely never heard of before, realising that he's not gonna face Yuuma any other way.

Which then leaves the question of next week. This is the first time that the team is facing an opponent it has a personal investment in beating, and two of three players on each team are thematically set to be proper opponents to each other - Suga against Sekai, and Sudo against Yuuma, albeit with Sudo acting as a proxy for Sakai. That unfortunately leaves Fumina as the one really lacking a particular rival, aside of simply facing off the opposing girl. Plus of course, even with set up, the show still has its time constraint versus triple the number of fighters from last season, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Has anyone else noticed how powerful the Winning's head vulcans are compared to a 'normal' suit where they're just used for shooting down missiles or whatever.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Fumina is just that good. She should be the lead character and not sekai.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Luminaflare posted:

Has anyone else noticed how powerful the Winning's head vulcans are compared to a 'normal' suit where they're just used for shooting down missiles or whatever.

Smaller model = higher concentration of kill-power. That's why everyone should be using SD models.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

It has a big head

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Smaller model = higher concentration of kill-power. That's why everyone should be using SD models.

Smaller caliber at a higher velocity, Armor  Piercing  Vulcans  !  !  !

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Green Intern posted:

The final boss is someone who scratchbuilt a 1/200 Leo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

I think regarding the whole character interaction issue, part of it is they decided to have the format specifically centre on various schools fighting against each other, rather than just anybody who wants to fight and has the skills turning up to do so. This creates a bit of an issue that, most of the time, this gives the writers an easy out for not having the characters interact - in that they go to different schools and thus aren't as likely to see each other - yet also establishing archetypal teams for rudimentary 'characters'. So we've got the swimming team, the rich academy team, the science club team, and so forth. It allows for an aversion to actual effort in developing things, whilst with BF, because the main tournament was a long ways off, for a number of the rivals to be relevant, they had to be introduced long before their proper fights came along, which meant finding reasons for the two sides to meet outside of a gunpla fight, which means actual interaction. The closest things we've gotten in Try are the St Odessa team - which has Gyanko's crush to justify the continued interaction - and Sakai, but he's not even allowed to be a proper rival until he jumps onto a team that we'll have likely never heard of before, realising that he's not gonna face Yuuma any other way.

Which then leaves the question of next week. This is the first time that the team is facing an opponent it has a personal investment in beating, and two of three players on each team are thematically set to be proper opponents to each other - Suga against Sekai, and Sudo against Yuuma, albeit with Sudo acting as a proxy for Sakai. That unfortunately leaves Fumina as the one really lacking a particular rival, aside of simply facing off the opposing girl. Plus of course, even with set up, the show still has its time constraint versus triple the number of fighters from last season, so...

I think next week is going to definitively tell us if they can ever get a good team battle in instead of separate 1 on 1s. Even if it's just the qualifiers it's still the finals in a tournament that we've spent nearly a third of the show on. It's the best time to finally showcase Team Try actually working together to take out a difficult, hyped up team instead of just doing their own thing while Hoshino dispenses weapons. Perhaps they could even have a difficult fight to the finish, with only one of the six gunpla on the field surviving? There are a lot of ways they could handle that sort of situation to keep it really exciting.

Aw who am I kidding the most likely outcome is they're gonna split up into those matchups for the reasons you gave and Sekai will win by pulling out yet another Jigen Haoh move.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah, Sekai is going to pull out the Build Burning's burning mode. The preview makes that super-obvious.

I'm kind of curious to see how the Mega Shiki fight goes because as it stands, Yuuma is having a rival battle against a guy who he has literally never spoken to or interacted with who exists only as a proxy for his rival. Yet that same guy got a big showing against Gyanko last week which... only really Sekai and Fumina care about, but Sekai is almost certainly due to fight Kung-Fu Slegger instead.

Maybe they actually will do team stuff so Sekai can fight both Kung-Fu Sleggar and the Mega-Shiki.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 27, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm kinda hoping that the fight is won by them pairing off but then swapping out their "obvious" rivals, e.g. Sekai trades out fighting Sleggar for punching pay2win in the face, Fumina out-coreboostering sleggar, and Yuuma shooting the victory. Cliche, yes, but it would be at least a slight concession to the idea of teamwork.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, Sekai is going to pull out the Build Burning's burning mode. The preview makes that super-obvious.

I'm kind of curious to see how the Mega Shiki fight goes because as it stands, Yuuma is having a rival battle against a guy who he has literally never spoken to or interacted with who exists only as a proxy for his rival. Yet that same guy got a big showing against Gyanko last week which... only really Sekai and Fumina care about, but Sekai is almost certainly due to fight Kung-Fu Slegger instead.

Maybe they actually will do team stuff so Sekai can fight both Kung-Fu Sleggar and the Mega-Shiki.

Yeah it's a weird matchup since regardless of who's up against the girl, there's not much of a reason for either of them. Sleggar has been built up as an opponent for Sekai and that was handled decently enough but I figure their plan for that is "well, we obviously gotta have the two girls fight each other". Maybe we'll get some pre-battle scenes with the two teams interacting, that could actually be something to go on.

I am still holding out for teamwork finally happening even though I should really know better at this point.

mr. stefan posted:

I'm kinda hoping that the fight is won by them pairing off but then swapping out their "obvious" rivals, e.g. Sekai trades out fighting Sleggar for punching pay2win in the face, Fumina out-coreboostering sleggar, and Yuuma shooting the victory. Cliche, yes, but it would be at least a slight concession to the idea of teamwork.

Hell, I'd be down with that.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

Yeah it's a weird matchup since regardless of who's up against the girl, there's not much of a reason for either of them. Sleggar has been built up as an opponent for Sekai and that was handled decently enough but I figure their plan for that is "well, we obviously gotta have the two girls fight each other". Maybe we'll get some pre-battle scenes with the two teams interacting, that could actually be something to go on.

I am still holding out for teamwork finally happening even though I should really know better at this point.

Hell, I'd be down with that.

But the Winning Knuckle IS teamwork! They've been doing teamwork all along. :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yrah sadly the most teamwork we're probably going to get is basically the others holding someone else so Sekai can punch them, but with fire this time.

I wonder if Sekai is popular in Japan or if they find him boring, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yrah sadly the most teamwork we're probably going to get is basically the others holding someone else so Sekai can punch them, but with fire this time.

I wonder if Sekai is popular in Japan or if they find him boring, too.

Fumina seems the popular one in Japan but that may just be Creepos skewing the numbers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

But the Winning Knuckle IS teamwork! They've been doing teamwork all along. :v:

Still lol'ing at the line about how it forces them to work together.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The problem with winning road is why doesn't Fumina just build an extra pair of legs and an extra torso and pre-equip the Lightning and Burning Gundam with them before the match starts? :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The problem with winning road is why doesn't Fumina just build an extra pair of legs and an extra torso and pre-equip the Lightning and Burning Gundam with them before the match starts? :v:

There's basically no excuse for it. You can argue for the Lightning maybe that it could interfere with the Lightning's transformation but the Winning Knuckle basically should be a 24/7 equip on Sekai.

Absorb Shield was kind of a great example of why that thing shouldn't be a long-term winning strategy. Once you know the trick it's actually a big disadvantage, not an advantage. You can just shoot down the parts. (In fact the EZ-8 guys did that! Yuuma only got one of the Lightning's guns in the debut of Winning Road.)

You could have argued that maybe Fumina needed to charge particles or something but she used it right away last episode so... v:shobon:v

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Maybe they'll pull a Destiny and switch protagonists back to Rei halfway through to save the show.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hope they lose the next fight (in a close match or something to look good blabla) and the top 4 go on.
that keeps Gyanco in and would serve some plot better.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zedd posted:

I hope they lose the next fight (in a close match or something to look good blabla) and the top 4 go on.
that keeps Gyanco in and would serve some plot better.

If that was the case, why wasn't the other team Try Fighters faced more important than some no-name mobile armor group? Honestly I have no idea what they've got planned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're going to win the fight and the next arc is going to involve whatever wacky bullshit Allen is up to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

whatever wacky bullshit Allen is up to.

My hope is that we'll get a Sleggar Two :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Then we'll get the best version, Sleggar-12, but he'll die pointlessly anyways. :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They're going to win the fight and the next arc is going to involve whatever wacky bullshit Allen is up to.

I just hope that we don't get an explanation for Ral with this next arc. One thing I really enjoyed about the first season is that they never said if he was actually Ramba Ral or just a guy that looks and acts like him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I just hope that we don't get an explanation for Ral with this next arc. One thing I really enjoyed about the first season is that they never said if he was actually Ramba Ral or just a guy that looks and acts like him.

... Aw man, I never thought of that. I really hope they don't try to shoehorn in some Genetic Super Soldier Gundam Clone plotline or something for him. It was way funnier when all the Gundam cameos were just silly cameos.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Then we'll get the best version, Sleggar-12, but he'll die pointlessly anyways. :(

He chooses to go by Marvin Cruise, don't clone-shame. :colbert:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If the plot is that they're literally producing Char clones I might be able to forgive everything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It ends with Allan yelling about how Tastsuya could have been a father to him before exploding.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

If the plot is that they're literally producing Char clones I might be able to forgive everything.

Headgear camouflaged as shades that make you channel a Gundam character. Cue very strange interactions outside of battle.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I wish this show had more Gundam in jokes like the last season did. I loved when a Sleggar lookalike showed up just like the actual Sleggar did, but now that seems like it could go weird.

I miss moments like when Sei got hypnotized and started reciting Gundam scenes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

There's basically no excuse for it. You can argue for the Lightning maybe that it could interfere with the Lightning's transformation but the Winning Knuckle basically should be a 24/7 equip on Sekai.

Absorb Shield was kind of a great example of why that thing shouldn't be a long-term winning strategy. Once you know the trick it's actually a big disadvantage, not an advantage. You can just shoot down the parts. (In fact the EZ-8 guys did that! Yuuma only got one of the Lightning's guns in the debut of Winning Road.)

You could have argued that maybe Fumina needed to charge particles or something but she used it right away last episode so... v:shobon:v

As absolutely ludicrous as it sounds, it would have almost have been better if the Winning Knuckle/Launcher involved the whole Winning transforming and docking with the other team members and her having to handle plavsky flow or something, because at least that would have made a lot more sense then Fumina arbitrarily deciding to cripple herself to power up her teammates with parts they could just have built onto the units outside of combat without the risk of them being shot down or Fumina herself being left at a huge disadvantage.

The Winning is a cool design but there seriously feels like there's no point in her having it instead of just bolting the Winning parts onto the other suits and sticking with the Cardigan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You know, I think episode 12 of BF had more teamwork than in all of Try so far.

That's kind of sad.

Speaking of that episode, I love how Allan just walks out of the room in a huff when he hears the chairman doesn't know what a Zaku II is.

EDIT: I'm just straight up rewatching BF now, and it's kind of weird. BF Try has bumped up Gunpla as a much more serious thing in the world, yet at the same time it's nowhere near as all-encompassing as it was in BF. No gunpla loan sharks, no gunpla baseball, no gunpla mafia, no gunpla detectives, not even secret gunpla scientists. Takes a lot of the fun right out of this.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 28, 2014

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
The Mega Shiki was kind of cool, but the "Ima snipe you from our spawn with a mega rider lazer strapped to my back" scene was truly awful. There wasn't even any bracketing involved. I realized it was all done for the sake of plot and it would be obvious what Gyanko's fate would be, still - the whole thing felt really rushed.

Sleggar MK II's Kung Fu Core Fighter is an abomination and I can't wait for him to kamikaze it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Srice posted:

I never want them to explain why Ramba Ral just keeps showing up.

Just wandering onto a school campus trying to get people to collect gunpla.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm just straight up rewatching BF now, and it's kind of weird. Bandai has bumped up BF Try as a much more serious thing in the revenue projections, yet at the same time it's nowhere near as light-hearted as it was in BF. No gunpla loan sharks, no gunpla baseball, no gunpla mafia, no gunpla detectives, not even secret gunpla scientists. Takes a lot of the fun right out of this.

Fixed that for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What do you reckon the real reason the writers won't go near the first-season characters is so Sunrise can't make them worse in hindsight?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Episode literally opens with a Gundam nerd having a Gundam fantasy featuring female Gundam cast members and ends with a hilariously melodramatic "death scene" for one of the side-characters, on top of straight-up having a character who people refer to as "Sleggar" and pilots a freakin' G-Armor.

But, no, this series isn't light-hearted enough and doesn't have enough Gundam references.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you reckon the real reason the writers won't go near the first-season characters is so Sunrise can't make them worse in hindsight?

I honestly think it'd be hard to ruin the first season's cast since they went with the tried and true sports anime method of having a diverse variety of fairly simple characters. As long as they remember the basics of the characters I can't see them slipping up much if at all.

We'll probably see some of them down the line (At the very least Sei will probably show up at some point) and while it's certainly not impossible, I would be surprised if they were made significantly worse. Unlike SEED Destiny, I think they do want to have the new cast be the characters that drive the show. And considering the target audience it's definitely for the best to make it accessible without having seen the first season.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really dont' see how anyone can not see this show is lighthearted. We had a swim team get beaten because they didn't plan for ice (while wearing swimsuits to the match no less).

I keep failing to see the "serious" side people are talking about, except for maybe last episode with the sick kid. It's still a goofy show people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Episode literally opens with a Gundam nerd having a Gundam fantasy featuring female Gundam cast members and ends with a hilariously melodramatic "death scene" for one of the side-characters, on top of straight-up having a character who people refer to as "Sleggar" and pilots a freakin' G-Armor.

But, no, this series isn't light-hearted enough and doesn't have enough Gundam references.

A lot of the charm that the original BF had was how loving unrealistic it was. Like what are the odds that the Italian champ would be in a rinky dink gunpla bar in the middle of loving nowhere. Newtype princes? Gunpla mafia? Gundpla interpol? Gunpla Hitmen?

BFT is still silly, but its still mostly grounded in reality. Whereas the original BF went hogwild with its insanity.

e-Honestly, I dont mind either of the directions when they go with the general mood. Its still silly fun, just not silly insane fun.

• Locked thread