Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oof, what a wet fart of an ending. The actual Legendary Battle itself was pretty terrible. I feel like there was a whole bunch of stuff left on the cutting room floor. They draw attention to the fact that there's no Red Zeo or Black Dino Thunder Ranger since Tommy is there...but they never let him use those powers. Oh, and they have a Red Turbo ranger, despite TJ rocking his In Space blues and Tommy being MMPR Green. And wasn't there some behind the scenes shot of Tommy giving the Dragon Shield to Samurai green?

They did color correct Tommy's helmet to remove the dumb silver stripes, but there's a couple shots where they missed it. And what the heck was up with the messed up Titanium Ranger helmet? I'm super glad he's there, since he's the only American-exclusive Ranger (not counting spirits) but that helmet is BUSTED. And then Carter. Poor carter. I don't think he got a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

Are you saying in any series, Japanese or American? Because Enter was a drat good villain.

ANY SERIES.

Let's start at the basics.

Lord Zedd's general modus operandi is to, at any given time, create Evil Rangers to do his bidding (this was seriously on his docket seven or eight times in season 2, I am not exaggerating- he only ever got to do it TWICE but still, and that's not counting the mind control plots) gently caress with the time stream in some fashion even if it wouldn't help anything, and separate the Rangers. And take away their powers. And their Zords when he can help it.

Lord Zedd has the most complex, involved plans of any toku villain, and succeeds a surprising number of times given the genre. He's never just farting around on his throne, even when he's on vacation.

And his direct approach is a giant gently caress off planet sized super dragon zord that can destroy planets.

Let's just compare him to his contemporaries-

Rita's entire plan base was spite oriented- Rangers would be doing something that vaguely annoyed her, so she created a monster sort of kinda related to that thing to annoy them.

The Machine Empire mostly faffed about and the kid did a lot of the more direct plans that wasn't aimless 'eh throw a robot down and see what it does'.

Master Vile gave up after one attempt and got the gently caress out of dodge, while also ruining some of Zedd's schemes that HAD worked.

Divatox mostly just threw around DETONATORS (fuckyoujason) and called it a day.

And Astronema mostly doesn't do a whole lot but sit around, having an interesting plan once in a while.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Robot red turbo ranger Jivjov, everyone knows that.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I want you guys to do the MMPR remake just so you cna laugh for 2 minutes about a certain caption they put in you probably know about but I'm not gonna spoil.

And I know this is playing into my half kayfabe obsession with Solaris Knight but seriously, how is he not in the Legendary Battle when some Sixth Rangers are? Including Trent of all people, who hasn't been seen since god know what episode of Dino Thunder, not even the team ups?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lord Zedd was pretty cool but he doesn't hold a candle to Agent Abrera, who was somehow in the entire run of Dekaranger without anyone even knowing he existed until the finale arc :downs:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just glad we've got over a year before we have to review Super Megaforce for the podcast...Give me a bit more distance and perspective from both the season itself and Gokaiger. If we had to review Legendary Battle tonight, I'd just have a Burk-like rage all over the place and nobody would have a good time.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I haven't watched SMF at all outside of some here and there clips (and also because it squandered any potential it had), but I'm mostly surprised they got Danny Slavin back even if for a one-off cameo at the end. Didn't he hate the series or is he just there for the paycheck?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can't imagine he gets much other TV work, since even his Wikipedia page was deleted for notability.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apparently he's a lawyer these days, so that's probably why he doesn't get much acting work.

Can you imagine his lovely commercials? I hope he's pictured in front of a waving American flag overlaid with the Declaration of Independance, just like Saul Goodman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Most lawyers aren't that kind of lawyer.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Apparently he's a lawyer these days, so that's probably why he doesn't get much acting work.

Can you imagine his lovely commercials? I hope he's pictured in front of a waving American flag overlaid with the Declaration of Independance, just like Saul Goodman.

His commercial would have that scene where he rips his shirt off like in the opening of every episode.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SpazmasterX posted:

His commercial would have that scene where he rips his shirt off like in the opening of every episode.

That popped up in Kyoryuger. I wonder if they do it in Dino Charge.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

jivjov posted:

Speaking of recent; watching Legendary Battle now, and I'll give them some credit, the handful of ranger cameos at the front are pretty cool. This is what the whole season needed to be. Just like Gokaiger was.

Yeah those were really awesome and they should have used a lot more of them, but I guess that would have cost money so they decided against it. It's just ridiculous that at the beginning of Super Megaforce they seemed like they would at least somewhat do that, with Jayden and Casey showing up, and then a shitload of episodes with nobody until the end. I guess it's because of the filming locations and stuff. Didn't one of the actors who elected to not go basically say that Saban offered them a pitiful amount of money and basically said they had to pay for their own transportation?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah those were really awesome and they should have used a lot more of them, but I guess that would have cost money so they decided against it. It's just ridiculous that at the beginning of Super Megaforce they seemed like they would at least somewhat do that, with Jayden and Casey showing up, and then a shitload of episodes with nobody until the end. I guess it's because of the filming locations and stuff. Didn't one of the actors who elected to not go basically say that Saban offered them a pitiful amount of money and basically said they had to pay for their own transportation?

I believe multiple actors brought this up, but Karan Ashley was the most prominent about it, yeah. The series does actually still film in New Zealand, and has since Saban got the rights back (hell, they're one of the few major overseas productions still going on there, which has the local industry kinda worried if it ever leaves), so they need money for a flight AND subsequent accommodation. Which Saban wasn't willing to put up for - and in general seems to have only dangled out a generic hook, like a nigerian prince, hoping to get enough responses to then fly them in, and leaving the rest aside.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should move production to Georgia. The tax breaks are quite generous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So there's an extended cut of the final two Super Megaforce episodes, cut together movie-style. It kinda makes things better? I mean, all the problems I listed before are still there, but it adds back in the final showdown with the Emperor with the Rangers cycling through pretty much every past Ranger mode in succession (notably absent are any of the NEW POWERS!). Not everything that we saw production photos of is restored (still missing whatever scene was supposed to happen between Tommy and Samurai Green) but it did manage to feel a tiny bit more epic and Anniversary-worthy all spliced into an hour-long event.

EDIT: Oh, and the team got a helmet-less rollcall in the extended cut. GOOD.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 26, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

jivjov posted:

So there's an extended cut of the final two Super Megaforce episodes, cut together movie-style. It kinda makes things better? I mean, all the problems I listed before are still there, but it adds back in the final showdown with the Emperor with the Rangers cycling through pretty much every past Ranger mode in succession (notably absent are any of the NEW POWERS!). Not everything that we saw production photos of is restored (still missing whatever scene was supposed to happen between Tommy and Samurai Green) but it did manage to feel a tiny bit more epic and Anniversary-worthy all spliced into an hour-long event.

Not just any rollcall, Gokaiger's one. Which would normally be lazy, but makes sense here. And they still didn't use Solaris or Titanium in Legendary Mode

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Solaris Knight posted:

Not just any rollcall, Gokaiger's one. Which would normally be lazy, but makes sense here. And they still didn't use Solaris or Titanium in Legendary Mode

Titanium's helmet was too hosed up to be used. Seriously, who looked at that and said "yes, this is perfect" when it looks nothing like the original? Its even worse than the silver stripes on the Green Ranger helmet.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Theme song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSnYqksXiBc

I was pretty good with it until it hits Go Go Power Rangers yet again. Other then that, I kinda dig it. Wish they didn't feel the need to rehash Go Go Power Rangers literally every season since Saban took over.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gotenks0053 posted:

I was pretty good with it until it hits Go Go Power Rangers yet again.

I'm okay with the use of Go Go Power Rangers here. It's like Zeo. Keeping that through all the themes doesn't bother me as long as the rest of it is original to the season.

The problem is when the whole song is just Go Go Power Rangers again like we've had through Samurai and Megaforce.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hey, they put some effort into this one. Still gonna be apprehensive

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Gotenks0053 posted:

Theme song!

I was pretty good with it until it hits Go Go Power Rangers yet again. Other then that, I kinda dig it. Wish they didn't feel the need to rehash Go Go Power Rangers literally every season since Saban took over.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The casting and theme seem to show a degree of respect Megaforce was lacking.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So the Red Ranger being in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade was kinda cool. I find all of the information about Dino Charge really encouraging and I'm pretty excited about it. When should we expect new episodes? February?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Is there any good original footage or would that be too much to ask for the season finale of the franchise's 20th anniversary?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is there any good original footage or would that be too much to ask for the season finale of the franchise's 20th anniversary?

Karone gets a cute moment...that's about it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gotenks0053 posted:

Theme song!

The "rangers together!" bit was a bit much, but the rest is pretty good, even the Go Go Power Rangers. Cautiously optimistic here!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also in the cautiously optimistic camp. After the last two seasons were so bad, it's hard to be entirely excited, but things are looking like they might actually have a chance of being better.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'm okay with the use of Go Go Power Rangers here. It's like Zeo. Keeping that through all the themes doesn't bother me as long as the rest of it is original to the season.

The problem is when the whole song is just Go Go Power Rangers again like we've had through Samurai and Megaforce.

Yeah, this feels like there's some actual effort in making it a variant, and not just replacing relevant team words. I actually kinda like the rhythm it built up, slow with a small burst of energy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WickedHate posted:

Also in the cautiously optimistic camp. After the last two seasons were so bad, it's hard to be entirely excited, but things are looking like they might actually have a chance of being better.

You mean the last 3 seasons

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

You mean the last 3 seasons

Megaforce, Samurai?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WickedHate posted:

Megaforce, Samurai?

Samurai, Megaforce, Super Megaforce. Unless you're counting two different title changes as one season.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Samurai, Megaforce, Super Megaforce. Unless you're counting two different title changes as one season.

Well, yeah, but using that method wouldn't Super Samurai also count?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

WickedHate posted:

Well, yeah, but using that method wouldn't Super Samurai also count?

I'd put money on Super Dino Charge in 2016 with a heavy focus on the four extra Rangers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Like somebody said, this is more like how Zeo did it with repeating Go Go Power Rangers and already shows 10x the effort Mega/SuperMega showed.
I still can't get over how stupid a name "megaforce" is btw, especially when you know you are going to add "super" onto it later. I mean what would be next? Super MegaForce Power Rangers Turbo HD Remix

Zedd fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 28, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Go Go Power Rangers(x2)
Rangers forever
(Three syllables)
All together

Samurai
Megaforce
Dino Charge

...Choo Choo trains?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I honestly really like this. Yeah, "Go, Go, Power Rangers" and "Rangers Forever ... All together" are still there but the additional lyrics actually sort of make them work. It's sort of like the Zeo theme in that regard, famillar yet somewhat unique in it's own way. Hopefully the rest of the season will show a bit more effort this time as well, it looks promising at the moment what with the new theme and actually doing an original villian this time instead of just dubbing over the Deboss Legion (though I have a feeling those suits will probably show up in Dino Charge eventually). So yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about this so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 28, 2014

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

Don't get me wrong, still like the theme overall. They put at least some effort to the theme song, and I don't want to immediately turn it off. I dig it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It wouldn't surprise me if they try to milk the dinosaurs thing for two seasons, though I hope they don't.

My biggest concern is actually Kyoryuger related. Unless they make a Carnival suit for everyone (which seems really unlikely, even if it's just for the main five), we're almost certainly looking at another "Red Ranger and his sidekicks" season which has never, ever been done well.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They're still on Nick aren't they? This'll definitely be split into 2 seasons and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they try to milk the dinosaurs thing for two seasons, though I hope they don't.

My biggest concern is actually Kyoryuger related. Unless they make a Carnival suit for everyone (which seems really unlikely, even if it's just for the main five), we're almost certainly looking at another "Red Ranger and his sidekicks" season which has never, ever been done well.

Considering Samurai got those ridiculous new costumes just to pilot their zords, nothing is too unrealistic for Power Rangers anymore.