Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's the Buddha, not God :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

AnonSpore posted:

Sure, but in this case, the knight actually does want you to do violence towards God.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Her last name is 'Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones’, I think she might have done that intentionally.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's the one spot in the room with no marks, because she killed everyone who came close without even moving.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

Are you reading Kill Six Billion Demons?
You should be.

Yes. Everyone should also read Battlepug. There is currently a wrestling arc happening.
You'll notice the opponents here seem to be Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan (probably?), Devilman, and Ultimate Muscle. The commentators are Jim Ross And Jerry "The King" Lawler (actually a couple of hobos in the audience talking to themselves).

This is kind of like One Punch Man, every panel is either funny or badass, or both.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

New Avengers #27:

The power of Thorr apparently removes your entire neck. :stare: And side profile gives you a wicked looking mullet.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Majuju posted:

Sure, but in this case, the knight actually does want you to do violence towards God.

I could have sworn there was one proverb in one religion that was basically what she said, was it Buddhism? Wasn't it basically a test to find out if something was a true god, like try to kill him, because if he's a god, he won't die or something.

Also I wish I could get some scans of the latest Transformers; More then meets the eye stuff, as some of the characters are having some pretty badass moments. Skids telling off Megatron was great a few moths back. the last 5 books have all been pretty great actually.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Anora posted:

I could have sworn there was one proverb in one religion that was basically what she said, was it Buddhism? Wasn't it basically a test to find out if something was a true god, like try to kill him, because if he's a god, he won't die or something.

The point is that the Buddha is not a physical being, so the Buddha you meet on the road is a representation of your attachment to the idea of Buddha as an outward thing instead of being a mental thing inside yourself and you need to get rid of it.

Or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's generally taken from a statement by Linji Yixuan, and it's not just the Buddha, it's any authority figure. It goes on to include parents and family among others. The idea is that the truth is the truth because it's the truth, not because some dogma or more enlightened person tells you it's the truth. So if you meet them on 'the road' [Your journey of discovery] you 'kill them' [Cut your attachments to their perceived superiority in enlightenment or your image of what enlightenment should be]. You have to continue your journey without preconceived notions or ideals, and then you can face yourself and the world freely.

Conversely, that chick just wants to kill a god.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well, not a god. Seek heaven through violence!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

wiegieman posted:

Seek heaven through violence!

Man I suddenly had a flashback what the hell. How do you forget such a thing and then BAM!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah, it's a paraphrased reference to the old saying about Buddha but the version in the comic makes sense if you've read the rest of it.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

wiegieman posted:

It's the one spot in the room with no marks, because she killed everyone who came close without even moving.

Mathangi “Maya” Mantra.

Antagonist in Kill Six Billion demons, a habitually drunk, overweight, Mendicant (begging) Knight. An insanely powerful swordswoman with a burning hunger for revenge.

Wields the Maybe Sword.

- - -

In some universes the battle tank was created - an armored shell protecting a core of weak flesh and razor sharp reason. In many ways, an angel is perhaps similar, a fired stone or metal shell protecting a controlled nuclear explosion skilled in millenia old martial arts.

Perhaps.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 27, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Majuju posted:

Tom Parkinson-Morgan has a page in Prophet: Strikefile #2 which came out today. You should be reading it as well!

Can I read this without #1? My shop got me #2, but not the first one. Haven't gotten around to ordering a copy online.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Uthor posted:

Can I read this without #1? My shop got me #2, but not the first one. Haven't gotten around to ordering a copy online.

The Strikefile books are basically supplemental world-building art books for the Prophet main book. Perhaps a couple of 2-page stories per issue, then a bunch of single pages usually featuring some alien or oddity from the main book and expanding on it. So yeah you can read it without #1, definitely, but it'll make way more sense if you read the Prophet main run, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I am caught up on the main run. It's in my pull box, which is why I was annoyed I didn't get Strikefile #1.

Not that reading Prophet means I fully understand it. I need to give it a reread all in one go.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's generally taken from a statement by Linji Yixuan, and it's not just the Buddha, it's any authority figure. It goes on to include parents and family among others. The idea is that the truth is the truth because it's the truth, not because some dogma or more enlightened person tells you it's the truth. So if you meet them on 'the road' [Your journey of discovery] you 'kill them' [Cut your attachments to their perceived superiority in enlightenment or your image of what enlightenment should be]. You have to continue your journey without preconceived notions or ideals, and then you can face yourself and the world freely.

Religion would make a lot more sense if they just explained this poo poo instead of explaining it by telling you to kill people.

Goddammit, God, get your poo poo together with this metaphor stuff.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Religion would make a lot more sense if they just explained this poo poo instead of explaining it by telling you to kill people.

"I tell ya, Lobsang, we lose more Buddhas that way..."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some of the old zen masters were all about the baffling, enlightening lesson. Sometimes it was a paradoxical question. Sometimes an apparently meaningless sound. Sometimes it involved chopping off appendages.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Isn't part of it the idea that you can't just teach someone to be enlightened? They have to figure it out on their own. A cryptic metaphor is meant to make the person think and contemplate things, do the legwork themselves, so to speak. Whereas if you just explain it, you get a bunch of people who might just feign understanding by parroting what you said, even if they don't really comprehend it.

Or maybe they want people to go around saying "Kill God/Buddha" and chuckle at how they get people to say poo poo like that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Anora posted:

not having someone explain it to you is the entire point of that parable tho. the journey is self discovery and god is the dude explaining poo poo. kill me.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

jsoh posted:

not having someone explain it to you is the entire point of that parable tho. the journey is self discovery and god is the dude explaining poo poo. kill me.

The sayings could do with being phrased in a way where misunderstanding them doesn't lead to actual violence.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Slashrat posted:

The sayings could do with being phrased in a way where misunderstanding them doesn't lead to actual violence.

If you meet the Buddha on the road pointedly look away and refuse to talk to him

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Anora posted:

My interpretation of the proverb is, that an inherent tennant of Buddhism is how life is suffering. (Due to the realities and depressing facts of the physical world and how our world is focused around material possessions and so forth.)

If you meet Buddha while walking it means that he is in the physical world and thus miserable. That you are to kill him so he can leave this world and go back to a spiritual place of perfection.

But it's really just like the "Always Angry" line in the Avengers film. It's completely open to interpretation what it means.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
It means that enlightenment can be instantly realized by anyone because everyone is a Buddha and veneration of the historical Buddha himself or any other idol or text only impedes enlightenment, this is Zen Fundamentals people.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Slashrat posted:

One of the sayings is that a teacher literally cut a kid's finger off for mimicking him. Buddhists were hardcore motherfuckers.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

The Question IRL posted:

Apparently one of the things he was hired to do was (I heard, I have yet to see the scans) is he was hired to shoot the Florida box that resulted in Al Gore losing the election.

He did do that. The guy who hired him was pissed at Clinton for the Monica Lewinsky incident (using his power to get laid? Cheating on his wife? Some moral judgment, I forget the details.) and he basically decided to punish him in the most indirect way possible: he hired Golgo to shoot a packet of votes for Al Gore, ruining them and hence doing the Florida tip for Bush, robbing Clinton's vice president and the Democrats of the White House.

There might have also been something about punishing America for electing a 'moral failure' like Clinton in that motivation by getting Bush elected or the usual nonsense.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uthor posted:

I just read the Fantastic Four Original Sin issue. In it, Reed encounters a locked door and Alicia asks him if he can just "use your science" on it to open it. That's such a vague question and a really weird way of phrasing it.

Science doors are a thing. Wells has a nice science door in The Flash

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kellsterik posted:

It means that enlightenment can be instantly realized by anyone because everyone is a Buddha and veneration of the historical Buddha himself or any other idol or text only impedes enlightenment, this is Zen Fundamentals people.

You know another part of Zen fundamentalism? There is no single right answer that applies to everyone.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Science doors are a thing. Wells has a nice science door in The Flash
I think when The Flash claimed he could think in attosecond time spans, science stopped mattering.

The comic (source?)

The macro.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Say Nothing posted:

I think when The Flash claimed he could think in attosecond time spans, science stopped mattering.

The comic (source?)

The macro.

That's pretty cool. He's above the Planck time, so I'll allow it. :colbert:

One Planck time is the time it would take a photon traveling at the speed of light in a vacuum to cross a distance equal to one Planck length. Theoretically, this is the smallest time measurement that will ever be possible,[3] roughly 10−43 seconds. Within the framework of the laws of physics as we understand them today, for times less than one Planck time apart, we can neither measure nor detect any change. As of May 2010, the smallest time interval uncertainty in direct measurements is on the order of 12 attoseconds (1.2 × 10−17 seconds), about 3.7 × 1026 Planck times.[4]

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was that one of the JMS issues of "Grounded", or was that after he left?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

That's pretty cool. He's above the Planck time, so I'll allow it. :colbert:

One Planck time is the time it would take a photon traveling at the speed of light in a vacuum to cross a distance equal to one Planck length. Theoretically, this is the smallest time measurement that will ever be possible,[3] roughly 10−43 seconds. Within the framework of the laws of physics as we understand them today, for times less than one Planck time apart, we can neither measure nor detect any change. As of May 2010, the smallest time interval uncertainty in direct measurements is on the order of 12 attoseconds (1.2 × 10−17 seconds), about 3.7 × 1026 Planck times.[4]

You know some super-speedster is going to do that.
Remember when the Human Torch generated The Planck temperature (roughly 100 million million million million million degrees)?
FantasticFour #569

Also, don't gently caress with Reed Richards.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Was that one of the JMS issues of "Grounded", or was that after he left?

It was indeed Grounded, so if you think that was stupid, just remember... Grounded.

Annnnnyyyway, here's some Cyclops #2 where young, time-displaced Cyclops is hanging with his space pirate dad... and fighting off the bounty hunters who are hunting his space pirate dad.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Say Nothing posted:

Also, don't gently caress with Reed Richards.

As bad as that whole story idea was, this is pretty much comic books at its best: a nonsense solution with just a dusting of science to make it sound more plausible as long as you don't try and dig into it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was mentioned once that Cyclops' secondary mutation is the ability to accurately calculate angles in his head.

Yeah, Marvel wiki says it's canon.

quote:

Spatial Awareness: Cyclops possesses an uncanny sense of trigonometry, in this sense used to describe his observation of objects around himself and the angles found between surfaces of these objects. Cyclops has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to cause his optic blasts to ricochet and/or reflect off those objects in a trajectory to his liking. This is commonly called a "banked shot" when applied to this talent. Cyclops has been observed causing beams to reflect from over a dozen surfaces in the course of one blast, and still hit his intended target accurately. It is his sense of superhumanly enhanced spatial awareness that allows him to perform these feats as well.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

I think it was mentioned once that Cyclops' secondary mutation is the ability to accurately calculate angles in his head.

Super-Trigonometry is some incredible Silver Age bullshit and I love it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So you basically shouldn't play pool with Summers

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Say Nothing posted:

Don't forget his mutant ability to open his visor whenever he wants or needs to without touching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

robziel posted:

Don't forget his mutant ability to open his visor whenever he wants or needs to without touching it.

clearly the visor is made to pick up on his unique brainwave signatures so that he can psychically command it, as long as it is making direct electro-wha-something-etic contact with his skin, you ding-dong!