Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light

nielsm posted:

Do you have enough ironing boards and laundry baskets? Are there dirty clothes lying around on beds, or baskets of unwashed clothes standing around, or crumpled but clean clothes around, or baskets of clean clothes not getting delivered? If everything seems to be in order perhaps there just isn't any more work to do?

2 machines, 4 ironing boards and 8 baskets which the inmates don't even bother picking up or using at all. I can't seem to find any dirty clothes lying around whatsoever, yet my inmates are constantly complaining about dirty clothes.

To elaborate; my laundry room is in a different building from my cells. The path between the laundry building and the cell blocks is well paved with concrete tiles. Hell, I even tried laying foundations over the path and then demolishing the walls (and retiling with concrete), but it didn't work. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

Try putting a table in the laundry room.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Three-Phase posted:

I've never had a prisoner set a fire before, I'm assuming that's an ultra-rare occurrence.

I hit lockdown then bangup while the entire prison was in the canteen. Their only route out was through a single door in the laundry. Somebody decided self-immolation was better than waiting for the jam to clear. The guards immediately rushed in to stop the rioting, burning prisoners, catching themselves on fire in the process.

The CEO was not happy with me.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

SandersPacheco posted:

2 machines, 4 ironing boards and 8 baskets which the inmates don't even bother picking up or using at all. I can't seem to find any dirty clothes lying around whatsoever, yet my inmates are constantly complaining about dirty clothes.

To elaborate; my laundry room is in a different building from my cells. The path between the laundry building and the cell blocks is well paved with concrete tiles. Hell, I even tried laying foundations over the path and then demolishing the walls (and retiling with concrete), but it didn't work. :rip:

The paving to the laundry room is less important than the path itself blocking the way. If you were like me, you used large jail doors as universal hallway checkpoints, but that stops the prisoners and janitors from getting the new uniforms delivered. It also can help but may not be required to have a deployment scheme that doesn't stop prisoners from reaching the delivery zone, otherwise they can't pick them up.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
I've got dirty uniforms all over my prison of ~100. I've got 5 washers, 10 ironing boards and countless baskets which are now strewn all throughout my prison. I've got 20 convicts working in there with 4 janitors but they never pickup a drat thing. The clothing need is satisfied but the place is very untidy. I'll try installing a table but is there anything else I should try?

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light

ZobarStyl posted:

The paving to the laundry room is less important than the path itself blocking the way. If you were like me, you used large jail doors as universal hallway checkpoints, but that stops the prisoners and janitors from getting the new uniforms delivered. It also can help but may not be required to have a deployment scheme that doesn't stop prisoners from reaching the delivery zone, otherwise they can't pick them up.

Funny and odd thing, removing the Staff Only zone from my delivery zone did the work. Thanks!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Workers should be moving the fresh clothes from delivery zones to the laundry room even if the delivery room is zoned to staff only, so that's strange.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

matrocious posted:

I've got dirty uniforms all over my prison of ~100. I've got 5 washers, 10 ironing boards and countless baskets which are now strewn all throughout my prison. I've got 20 convicts working in there with 4 janitors but they never pickup a drat thing. The clothing need is satisfied but the place is very untidy. I'll try installing a table but is there anything else I should try?

I had this same thing happen when prisoners would get nabbed for contraband at a checkpoint while moving dirty laundry to the wash. They get cuffed and taken to solitary and their dirty laundry just sits there, forever forgotten. As far as I can tell it's just something the devs have yet to address, but the only current solution is manual deletion of wayward piles.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
There was also talk earlier in the thread about possibly having too many laundry baskets, and they would never get moved back to the laundry room until they were full. The recommendation was deleting extra baskets manually from the save file there, too.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Common laundry mistakes are having too many baskets, too many workers in the room (they can only do so much at a time), the room too far from the prison wings, etc. First room I did I put 8 hampers in there with 16 workers, nothing got done. Cut it in half and magical clean laundry for everyone.

Also yes the prisoners need to access the delivery area ONCE to pickup new clothes. Not sure if they get a subsequent shipment for new arrivals.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The (old) rule of thumb is/was one basket per cell block, plus one spare.

Workers will load/unload from the basket around each cell block, and load/unload the extra in the laundry. When they're full/empty they get moved around.

At least in theory.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

The (old) rule of thumb is/was one basket per cell block, plus one spare.

Workers will load/unload from the basket around each cell block, and load/unload the extra in the laundry. When they're full/empty they get moved around.

At least in theory.

This brings up a related point: how big should a cell block be? I used to use 10-12 cell block sizes but it made manual searches for silent shakedowns really time consuming. I shifted over to having 150+ each and I'm not seeing a huge change.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Generally it changes depending on security rating. I remember it being something like 8 for high, 10 for med and 12 for low.

When it comes to laundry I think it would depend greatly on the shape of the block.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh, I read that as one basket per cell, not cell block!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Continuous intake is loving brutal, it's constant panic mode

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I don't think I'm playing right. :downs:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dareon posted:

I don't think I'm playing right. :downs:

Goddamn tree hugging hippie.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's tree-prison. It's where killer trees are put to serve out their life punishments. Duh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alpha 27 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDf3wkxSjY4

This version adds a Supply and Demand system for food, a scheduler for reform programs, phone tapping, the ability to report offensive backer convict names, balance tweaks, a new reputation and lots of bug fixes.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
My goodness! :swoon:

Getting both the kitchen scheduler and the class scheduler is huge. Here's hoping they both work as intended because they look exactly like what the doctor ordered for scheduling problems.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love the new phone tap feature, and I love that the devs mention The Lives of Others, which really is a great film.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You missed the part where they added a button to flag terrible/offensive user submitted bios.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Two quite important features, but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. Scheduling meals & classes is very big and will be a great help, but it's not really adding something new like the reputation system, or the automatic doors and logic system.

Is this a sign that they're getting closer to being feature complete? Or am I reading way too much in a single update?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

uXs posted:

Two quite important features, but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. Scheduling meals & classes is very big and will be a great help, but it's not really adding something new like the reputation system, or the automatic doors and logic system.

Is this a sign that they're getting closer to being feature complete? Or am I reading way too much in a single update?

I'm getting the impression that the food issues wasn't an easy fix and had a lot of underlying issues. Plus it's one of those things that's been pissing people off for a while now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They said anything on Gangs recently? I'm going to hop back on when those go in but they don't sound nearby.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

uXs posted:

There's probably still lots of other development going on in the background. For instance it's clear that they have some campaign/story-mode in the works but they haven't really expanded a whole lot on that yet.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Why is my laundry connected to my canteen? (Logistics)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

Why is my laundry connected to my canteen? (Logistics)

They're refilling the mayo buckets in the canteen with left over detergent.

Edit: The administration porch.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 28, 2014

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Cernunnos posted:

You missed the part where they added a button to flag terrible/offensive user submitted bios.

Thank the loving lord, I thought that was a cool feature until I saw that basically none of them were edited or screened for content. 50% of them are 'was put in jail for blazing it and stealing video games :iamafag:' and 50% are twelve year olds writing poorly about raping people to death.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fans posted:

They said anything on Gangs recently? I'm going to hop back on when those go in but they don't sound nearby.

Your guess is as good as ours. Unless there is a secret thread I missed on the official forums where they detail what will be in the next update or something. The reputation system came out of nowhere for example.
They have said they definitely intend to implement gangs however.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Prison Architect is now €5,59 on Steam, and for that price there is no excuse not to own it unless you are literally homeless :stare:

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
The odd thing about this game is that it seems much more about the architecture than the prisoners. I haven't played it much because my normal prisoners are almost impossible to piss off as long as you don't force the issue and the max guys seem so chaotic that they go nuts regardless of whatever you do.

I've watched a number of let's plays of this game and the thing I notice most of all is that they all seem to focus on the building and expansion of the prison and that the prisoners are effectively ants with no focus on any individual struggles or stories because they're essentially faceless bots.

My interest in these games (DF, Rimworld, Gnomoria etc) comes from the narrative that develops but this really seems lacking here.

Can anyone suggest an LP that works on a smaller scale so that we get to know the prisoners more personally?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rapacity posted:

The odd thing about this game is that it seems much more about the architecture than the prisoners.

I believe that's why it's called Prison Architect and not... erm... Prisoners? Orange is the New Black?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Rapacity posted:

The odd thing about this game is that it seems much more about the architecture than the prisoners. I haven't played it much because my normal prisoners are almost impossible to piss off as long as you don't force the issue and the max guys seem so chaotic that they go nuts regardless of whatever you do.

I've watched a number of let's plays of this game and the thing I notice most of all is that they all seem to focus on the building and expansion of the prison and that the prisoners are effectively ants with no focus on any individual struggles or stories because they're essentially faceless bots.

My interest in these games (DF, Rimworld, Gnomoria etc) comes from the narrative that develops but this really seems lacking here.

Can anyone suggest an LP that works on a smaller scale so that we get to know the prisoners more personally?

This game is A) Not complete and B) Not about that. Sure the prisoners can have stories and backgrounds and such, but it's mostly about building a prison, making money, getting more prisoners, building a bigger prison, rinse and repeat.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
You're kidding me

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rapacity posted:

You're kidding me

It's a Tycoon game rather than a Dwarf Fortress-alike. :shrug:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Rapacity posted:

You're kidding me

I don't remember it really being advertised as anything but.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The idea that Dwarf Fortress has a strong personal narrative is pretty funny honestly. Literally every story I've ever heard from that game in my 4-odd years of playing it are stupid situations owing to the fact that it's not complete and Toady has zero quality control measures. It doesn't matter if Urist Peepants, Peasant with 0 bravery got scared by a corpse in the refuse pile and jumped into the river to get away from the corpse of a cow, because Urister Stonehearts with 101 bravery did the same thing an hour later.

e: Also, you haven't really played this game until you've had 'that one loving prisoner' who rolls in with legendary stats and also something like Snitch - so dudes try to start poo poo with him all the time, only to get the poo poo murdered out of them in one loving punch because the snitch also happens to have Extremely Deadly.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm doing jazz hands at the computer not knowing what to say. I play these games for the narrative, as I said. If you don't have any investment in each prisoner then I guess it is just sim city on a tiny scale but this isn't what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rapacity posted:

I'm doing jazz hands at the computer not knowing what to say. I play these games for the narrative, as I said. If you don't have any investment in each prisoner then I guess it is just sim city on a tiny scale but this isn't what I expected.

Alright?

• Locked thread