Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Falcon: https://gfycat.com/InsistentAnimatedBlackmamba :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Jesus, I just realized why it looks so different, because nothing looks like a terrible CGI'd person-in-front-of-green screen shot.

Look at the mountains and clouds in the background of those X-Wings. It.....it looks like they actually filmed that beautiful landscape for real. :stare:

The fact that it came (at least) a decade later might help with that.

Though to be fair the one shot we do have of "person interacting with CGI" (the lady on the bike) looked about standard.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Abner Assington posted:

The lightsaber effect looks really ragged. I mean it looks finished, but it's not like some perfectly smooth gradient that we've seen before in the previous films.

It looks rad :allears:

Yeah, it sounds hard/mean as hell. I dig it.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
What does "it doesn't feel like Star Wars" even mean? Did you guys want another film directed by George Lucas? Different directors have different styles.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Skittle Wood posted:

I feel like people complaining this doesn't feel like Star Wars are somehow unaware that cinema has advanced since the late '70s/early '80s.
Nobody's really complaining, but it's not just a matter of special effects. The scene of the Storm Troopers landing was dope as hell, but with lighting and composition that is a bit different that what I'm used to from the series. Let's not cry whiney nerd when that doesn't exist yet in this thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timby posted:

It's shot by Dan Mindel, who did Abrams' two Star Trek movies along with some other stuff that looked pretty good.

It was also shot on film.
I always assumed shooting on film would make Star Wars look amazing again, but I never knew it would have that dramatic an effect. Holy hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I always assumed shooting on film would make Star Wars look amazing again, but I never knew it would have that dramatic an effect. Holy hell.

TPM was shot on film, it means nothing.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

The fact that it came (at least) a decade later might help with that.

Though to be fair the one shot we do have of "person interacting with CGI" (the lady on the bike) looked about standard.

They shot it on location you retard

It looks great, I'm excited. Actor emoting in a closeup where he moved into frame. Bad guy lurching away from camera. Wild impossible twisting shot following the falcon and someone bothered to put in contrails because its in an atmosphere and they probably went 'yeah this will look cool'

Yay Star Wars!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

teagone posted:

Yeah, it sounds hard/mean as hell. I dig it.

I bet the hero saber looks pure and smooth and classic and this one is SITH PUSHING THE LIMITS OF SABER TECHNOLOGY so it's all ragged and spurts little crossguard blades

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Skittle Wood posted:

I feel like people complaining this doesn't feel like Star Wars are somehow unaware that cinema has advanced since the late '70s/early '80s.

They're saying it probably because Lucas (and who followed him for 5 and 6) mostly uses a static camera/linear pans, while Abrams is far more dynamic, which has nothing to do with progression, really. There was no shot like the opening black stormtrooper shot, for instance.

I hope all the stormtroopers are black because of the implications it would have for the OT :)

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

needs more imo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Let's rightfully kill the EU because it's full of terrible dumb poo poo, and then put in a lightsaber that would be right at home in the EU in the first movie.

I can't stop laughing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

Not coincidentally, it was probably the best-looking of the prequel trilogy. (Mostly because it didn't feel like everything was color-graded and filtered to hell in post.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

oddium posted:

I bet the hero saber looks pure and smooth and classic and this one is SITH PUSHING THE LIMITS OF SABER TECHNOLOGY so it's all ragged and spurts little crossguard blades

Speculation suggests that it's a really old light saber, that's why the blade looks all janky and sounds different.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Anyway, I watched JJ Trek with my pop yesterday because he's an old school Trek fan and I told him how well done it was. We watched the special features afterwards because he got all into it. The 'how we made this movie' reel was basically JJ auditioning to make Episode 7. I was like 'yeah he can pull it off.'

Trailer says, 'yeah he's pulling it off.'

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
My dreams are coming true.

That looked great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

computer parts posted:

It's easily the best looking of the prequels and the only one that doesn't hurt my eyes :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

computer parts posted:

Yeah, so? It was the best looking of the entire prequel.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Darko posted:

There was no shot like the opening black stormtrooper shot, for instance.
What about the goddamn opening shot of A New Hope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

It's easily the best looking of the prequels and the only one that doesn't hurt my eyes :)

More to the point then, JJTrek was not shot on film and it looks more similar to this than TPM.

e: or I guess I'm wrong, never mind.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I have a feeling Daisy Ridley's character is going to be all :kimchi:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That claymore better belong to a sithed up Gwendoline Christie

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That wasn't the most absurd lightsaber ever, but it was up there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine a lightsaber made of tiny lightsabers.

Now imagine 4 clustersabers at the edge of a cliff.

Episode 7 works that way.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Skittle Wood posted:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

oddium posted:

This is what I am going to go with - it sounds about right. The Sith dont give a gently caress in regards to being normal.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Abner Assington posted:

The lightsaber effect looks really ragged. I mean it looks finished, but it's not like some perfectly smooth gradient that we've seen before in the previous films.

It looks rad :allears:

I think it's flickering because of the snow hitting it and evaporating.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

High res shot of the lightclaymore

Click for embiggening

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

hhhat posted:

Anyway, I watched JJ Trek with my pop yesterday because he's an old school Trek fan and I told him how well done it was. We watched the special features afterwards because he got all into it. The 'how we made this movie' reel was basically JJ auditioning to make Episode 7. I was like 'yeah he can pull it off.'

Trailer says, 'yeah he's pulling it off.'

I think after watching that trailer, a lot of people are pulling it off.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
The X-Wing shot looked amazing and any doubts I had about the X-Wing redesign are totally gone.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The funny thing is that this is actually more useful. The cross hilt is pointless because any blow that you attempt to catch on it will just roll down into the point where the two blades meet, slice through it, and go cloud city on your hands.

I'm tentatively hyped, but I also remember being hyped for attack of the clones, which was where I learned never to trust my own judgement.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That claymore better belong to a sithed up Gwendoline Christie

I thought you were just joking around because of GoT but then I looked it up and she actually is going to be in the movie and... oh god. That seriously would be the poo poo.

reagan posted:

The X-Wing shot looked amazing and any doubts I had about the X-Wing redesign are totally gone.

Apparently it's not even really a "redesign", as these X-Wings are based off of the original Ralph McQuarrie concepts.

berserker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 28, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
What, no light-nunchucks?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

berserker posted:

I thought you were just joking around because of GoT but then I looked it up and she actually is going to be in the movie and... oh god. That seriously would be the poo poo.

Sorry to burst your bubble but she plays a stormtrooper

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009
Was that Wedge flying the X-Wing?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

IMAX shot of the falcon

click for HUGE

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The X-Wing and Falcon parts were both amazing. This could actually be good.

As soon as I saw that Lightsaber I knew it was going to draw all the hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Skittle Wood posted:

Technology has advanced. Movies are pretty much the same.

• Locked thread