Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
We have a winner!

I think I've fixed the remaining bugs with the sidebar in the next version, so hold tight.

Speaking of, the first beta of 3.2 awaits beta review, so expect to see that sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Has it been recently mentioned that you can't click on spoiler text in the preview window?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is it possible to have a forum wide "sort unread threads first" option?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A reminder that the number showing unread posts in an unfavorited thread is a bit too dim to see in dark mode. And to say that this app is magic and pokeyman is a grand wizard.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Beta expires today! Any chance of a new build before that happens?

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Kaethela posted:

Pokeyman said he had submitted a new beta so presumably it's in Apples hands.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

Has it been recently mentioned that you can't click on spoiler text in the preview window?

It has now!

Baram posted:

is it possible to have a forum wide "sort unread threads first" option?

I'm honestly not sure. I get stuck thinking about how that would interact with loading multiple pages of threads. Maybe just the first page gets the treatment, and subsequent pages work as they do now?

Kaethela posted:

It is awaiting review. If it doesn't make it out in time, we get to answer the question I've had, "what happens when a beta expires?"

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

It is awaiting review.

Beta apps have to wait for review?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I'm honestly not sure. I get stuck thinking about how that would interact with loading multiple pages of threads. Maybe just the first page gets the treatment, and subsequent pages work as they do now?

Wouldn't it work the same way multiple pages of bookmarks do?

101 posted:

:911:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

The first build of a new version does. Subsequent builds of the same version have a checkbox that asks "has anything significant changed?" If you leave it unchecked, review seems to be bypassed and it's made available immediately.

Subjunctive posted:

Wouldn't it work the same way multiple pages of bookmarks do?

Or not work, as the case may be. I should double-check that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Or not work, as the case may be. I should double-check that.

It does work; when the subsequent pages are loaded via scroll-downery, the new bookmarks are merged into their appropriate locations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

It does work; when the subsequent pages are loaded via scroll-downery, the new bookmarks are merged into their appropriate locations.

That's what I assumed people would not want though. Threads being inserted off-screen above the current viewport so you have no chance to know they're there? I'd get annoyed wondering where that thread went that I was sure I hadn't caught up on.

I'm not a two-page bookmarker nor would I use a sort-forums-unread-first setting so I have no useful insight here. People who want this feature (or have multiple pages of bookmarks), what do you want to happen when page two loads? Should unread threads on page two merge in with their page one brethren? Or should they appear at the top of the second "page" of threads?

That is, should the threads go:
code:

Page one, unread
Page two, unread
Page one, read
Page one, read
Page two, read
Page two, read
or should they go:
code:

Page one, unread
Page one, read
Page one, read
Page two, unread
Page two, read
Page two, read

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

That's what I assumed people would not want though. Threads being inserted off-screen above the current viewport so you have no chance to know they're there? I'd get annoyed wondering where that thread went that I was sure I hadn't caught up on.

I'm not a two-page bookmarker nor would I use a sort-forums-unread-first setting so I have no useful insight here. People who want this feature (or have multiple pages of bookmarks), what do you want to happen when page two loads? Should unread threads on page two merge in with their page one brethren? Or should they appear at the top of the second "page" of threads?

I've got multiple pages of bookmarks, and I'd prefer page two threads stay on page two. If I load the next page and everything shuffles around I get confused. :(

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pokeyman posted:

or should they go:
code:

Page one, unread
Page one, read
Page one, read
Page two, unread
Page two, read
Page two, read

I'd say this but I hadn't even thought of the fact that the forum thread lists aren't done in a multi-page style.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not exactly sure what's being discussed with respect to bookmarks and unread posts, but I like the way things are handled now, i.e. the same as the actual forum.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not exactly sure what's being discussed with respect to bookmarks and unread posts, but I like the way things are handled now, i.e. the same as the actual forum.

You can sort bookmarks by whether or not they have unread posts. The discussion is should a new page of bookmarks put threads with unread posts in the first page (thus keeping the ordering intact but putting threads above where you've scrolled to) or sorting the new page as if the first isn't there.

If that makes sense at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaethela posted:

You can sort bookmarks by whether or not they have unread posts. The discussion is should a new page of bookmarks put threads with unread posts in the first page (thus keeping the ordering intact but putting threads above where you've scrolled to) or sorting the new page as if the first isn't there.

If that makes sense at all.
Resorting sounds like a terrible idea. The point of scrolling is to traverse a fixed sequence. If the sequence isn't static, you lose a fundamental characteristic of scrolling - knowing which material you've seen and which you haven't.

Isn't the default behavior to move threads with new posts to the top of bookmarks for both the forum and app? I don't understand why there's any complain about that.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't the default behavior to move threads with new posts to the top of bookmarks for both the forum and app? I don't understand why there's any complain about that.

It started as me asking for that behavior app-wide vs only for the bookmarks tab.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

pokeyman posted:

"what happens when a beta expires?"

The app opens for a second, then closes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I never closed the app and it's still letting me use it. Hopefully it doesn't crash. :ohdear:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Ran into an issue today. The awful keyboard doesn't seem to work properly in the Google Hangouts app. It copies the smilie but when I hit the text box to paste it there is no option to paste. Seems to work fine elsewhere so perhaps this is a Hangouts issue?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, with the beta expired, it just pops up a box saying so. Going into the App Store and downloading the official version seems to just seamlessly overwrite.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Mine won't download the App Store version. It sits at zero percent and doesn't move.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

serebralassazin posted:

Ran into an issue today. The awful keyboard doesn't seem to work properly in the Google Hangouts app. It copies the smilie but when I hit the text box to paste it there is no option to paste. Seems to work fine elsewhere so perhaps this is a Hangouts issue?

I don't use Hangouts but this happens when an app doesn't support pasting images. Which is why some of these "send pictures from your keyboard" custom keyboards also include an option to save it to the camera roll, because presumably most messaging apps also allow you to send images from the camera roll.

It's a pretty inelegant solution to a limitation in the API, but then again, so is the whole business of pasting an image anyway.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Ah okay. I'll send some feedback via the app and maybe one day they will add it in. Guess I'll stick to regular text in hangouts like a savage. :negative:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
First post from 3.2. Guess the beta update got approved finally

:allears:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

101 posted:

First post from 3.2. Guess the beta update got approved finally

:allears:

Came to post that. :henget:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Just had a crash on beta by long pressing a thread in bookmarks and having the menu pop up as the threads were reshuffling after a refresh.

Is the long press menu being multiple lines new or is it just inconsistent throughout the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baram posted:

Just had a crash on beta by long pressing a thread in bookmarks and having the menu pop up as the threads were reshuffling after a refresh.

Is the long press menu being multiple lines new or is it just inconsistent throughout the app?

It's new and should be consistent.

(I say "new", I think I fixed that like a month ago but we were in App Review hell.)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If you go into the new browser and scroll down, the top bars disappear and when you slide back to Awful everything is janky and broken

I think it should be obvious but if you need a more specific example, I'll take some screenshots.

Edit: The posting screen also makes it feel like my phone reboot because there's nothing on the screen but blackness and a spinner

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I seem to be getting a lot of my bookmarks list not updating the unread count.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

If you go into the new browser and scroll down, the top bars disappear and when you slide back to Awful everything is janky and broken

I'll fix this quickly by just always modally displaying that thing so its hosed-up bars are contained.

quote:

Edit: The posting screen also makes it feel like my phone reboot because there's nothing on the screen but blackness and a spinner

This one I'm not seeing. Can you tell me more?

The Dave posted:

I seem to be getting a lot of my bookmarks list not updating the unread count.

Like after reading the last page the count doesn't end up changing in the list?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Like after reading the last page the count doesn't end up changing in the list?

Correct.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I had a couple bookmarks not updating yesterday too now that you mention it. I just chalked it up to the forums being fucky lately but it could be the app.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I am getting a shitload of full lock-ups on the bookmarks screen in the new beta. I suspect it's got something to do with touching while it's refreshing, but I need to gently caress with it some more and figure out which part of my behavior is breaking poo poo.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baram posted:

I had a couple bookmarks not updating yesterday too now that you mention it. I just chalked it up to the forums being fucky lately but it could be the app.

Yeah it's definitely something broken in the app. I'll track it down tomorrow.

Vegastar posted:

I am getting a shitload of full lock-ups on the bookmarks screen in the new beta. I suspect it's got something to do with touching while it's refreshing, but I need to gently caress with it some more and figure out which part of my behavior is breaking poo poo.

Is it crashing back to the home screen? Or just freezing up and not doing anything?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Is it crashing back to the home screen? Or just freezing up and not doing anything?

Just freezing up. Have to kill the app in switcher and relaunch it by hand. iPhone 6, ios8.1

Edit: got it again this morning. Checked a single new post in a thread, used a right swipe to go back to the bookmark list and everything stopped. I stared and poked at it for a couple minutes, checking if it was just really slow, but it never came back. Killed the app in switcher.

Edit: Happened again a couple hours later. I'm starting to get a better idea of what's going on here. Every time it's going to happen, the entire top blue bar disappears, including the persistent thread title, etc. bar but the clock, battery and carrier are still visible against the thread. Trying to go back via edge motion from here seems to be what locks up the app. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to reproduce the blue bar disappearing, though. I think it's something to do with minimizing the app and coming back in to it

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like when it's locked up. I don't know if it'll help or not. The blue bar comes back at this point, but the grey bars at the top and bottom of the thread listing are weird. I'll try to snag one for the disappearing blue bar as soon as I sort out how to make it happen.

Edit again: there's something seriously wonky in the top bar behavior that's got some influence on this. Here's a reproducible test to get started: kill the app in switcher and start it fresh. The top bar never disappears while scrolling down in a thread, just the thread actions. Click a link that opens the browser. Close the browser, and after exiting the browser the entire top bar will disappear while scrolling down instead, ultimately leaving the app in this state:

Using edge motion while the top bar is gone seems to be what causes everything to lock up, but only sometimes. Still haven't sorted out exactly what causes the lockup.

Hopefully last edit: for even more fun, quote or edit a post after doing the above, and now the thread title top bar will never reappear! Just thread actions. I'm assuming once I finish editing this post it's going to lock up again (it didn't, this is weird). Gonna test this by opening another browser window and see if it exhibits the same behavior as well. Maybe I'll just make a new post that isn't so train-of-thought once I get the idea sorted out.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 6, 2014

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Alright, new post! It's time for a mostly reproducible tutorial to lock up your awful beta app in mere minutes!

1. Kill your instance of Awful in the task switcher. Let's start fresh.
2. Open this thread and read through this post as you're going. Duh. Notice that the blue bar with the thread title will not disappear while scrolling down.
3. Click a link. Any link should work as long as it opens a browser, but for your own purposes, here is https://www.somethingawful.com
4. Exit the front page without reading any articles. Nobody reads the front page.
5. With the browser closed, scroll all the way to the top of the thread, then back down. Notice the blue bar will now disappear while scrolling down. Neat, huh?

Basically once you have the app in this state with the disappearing blue bar, all kinds of wonky poo poo can happen, and something related to edge motion is crash happy as poo poo.

6. Return to the thread listings with the back button, however you choose. Re-enter this thread. You'll notice now while scrolling the clock is black with no color bar instead of the white-on-blue it was before we went to the listings, and the thread actions appearing and disappearing are probably acting kind of wonky.
7. Quote this post. Make sure both the blue bars are hidden completely from view when you take this action. Cancel out of the new post. Here things get a bit inconsistent. You may need to refresh the thread a couple times with the pull-up slider, but the top blue bar with the thread should get stuck up top and refuse to appear again no matter how hard you scroll or how often you refresh the page.
8. I've tested all kinds of ideas now as to how this happens, but I have no positive culprit. Basically, use edge motion to go back and forth. There's a set of conditions I haven't found but I SUSPECT are related to the thread title bar not being there when it should be, but you'll lock up the app within 30 seconds of dicking around with edge motion to return to the thread listings.
9. Kill the app in switcher and start all over.

This will lock up the app on my iPhone 6 100% of the time on iOS 8.1.1 excepting that I have no idea how the edge motion thing is happening.

Tl;dr: open app, click outside link, go to forum list, go to thread, open text editing box, watch magic happen.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 6, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

In addition to the issues already mentioned, I'm pretty sure this bad highlight color is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alright I fixed the browser top bar fuckery and the highlighted forum cells, now for figuring out this unread count business.

• Locked thread