Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
He's simply testing himself, like his role model, Gandhi, would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
If we're doing this, my female Avengers line-up absolutely would include Spectrum, Boom-Boom and Elsa Bloodstone. I don't care who else is in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who the gently caress's Spectrum? That's Captain Marv... Oh right.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Superior IM #2 was pretty disappointing for me. I was hoping they'd stick with the meat of the setting rather than go for superheroes trying to beat each other up so quickly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gatts posted:

Lady JLA/Avengers.

Carol Danvers
Storm
Phoenix
Angela
Invisible Woman
Mystique
Scarlet Witch

Should cover all your bases. Your leader in Carol, someone who can manipulate the battlefield on a wide scale in Storm, your mental powered person in Phoenix with bullshit powers, your physical powerhouse in Angela, stealth in Invisible Woman, infiltration and espionage with Mystique, and then your magic user in Scarlet Witch. Have it masterminded by Pepper Potts or something who can give the tech and funding expense. The only thing it lacks is a woman of Reed/Tony like intellect, somehow they all seem to be guys in the comics.

EDIT: poo poo, speed. That'd be...uh...Spitfire. Yeah. And shrinking and biggening that'd be Wasp. They can be bit players like Atom or Cyborg something.

Aside from Mystique, that's a loving stacked decked in terms of power levels.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

There have been lots of great pieces on it in the past but I'm blitzed on chinese food and can't remember a single one right now.

Rhyno quote of the year.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SynthOrange posted:

Superior IM #2 was pretty disappointing for me. I was hoping they'd stick with the meat of the setting rather than go for superheroes trying to beat each other up so quickly.

Well, it is Iron Man being a supervillain, so a superhero trying to beat him up is par of the course. That said, if we get other heroes after Daredevil then i'll get suspicious of this comic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Smartest female person in the universe is Valeria. Easy tie-in with Sue and you get cool moments where Valeria is casually amoral in her plans and then everyone argues over the morality/justification of their actions combined with what life lessons that is actually teaching a little girl.

I'd buy it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Forget Lady-Vengers, Superior Spider-Women is what I need.

Featuring:
-Spider Woman
-Black Widow
-Arana
-Kamala Khan as Spider-Marvel

Edit: Also a universe hopping Spider-Gwen

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 28, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
While I realize that there is now a Spider-Woman ongoing and I'd really rather her not be "Spider-Girl", could you really not come up with a better name for the title than "Spider-Gwen", Marvel? :effort:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's what literally everyone on the internet immediately called her. It's a perfect title.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Smartest female person in the universe is Valeria. Easy tie-in with Sue and you get cool moments where Valeria is casually amoral in her plans and then everyone argues over the morality/justification of their actions combined with what life lessons that is actually teaching a little girl.

I'd buy it.

"Daughter, do you know why I didn't like the plan you made for our mission today?"
"Because I didn't tell you how it would really go..."
"Well, yeah, that too, but using X-Men as fodder to that AIM Murder Planet, even if they were D-Listers, was not the right thing to do, everyone is special in their own special way"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gynovore posted:

Yeah this. Kitty, Jubilee, Hisako, Laura, Idie, did I forget anyone?

I mean, it's not like he's actually done anything inappropriate (right?) but for someone over a hundred years old, he sure spends a lot of time around under-18 girls.

Well Ultimate Wolverine tried to have sex with Mary Jane Watson when he was in Peter Parker's body. Which I'm pretty sure is illegal on several levels.

BluePard
Jan 24, 2009
Probably not illegal in ultimates, aka pro-incestville.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Lurdiak posted:

It's what literally everyone on the internet immediately called her. It's a perfect title.
The name has become so ubiquitous that I half-believe that in some point in her own series it'll somehow come out that Spider-Woman's first name is Gwen and she'll just continue as on a superhero with only half of a secret identity.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BluePard posted:

Probably not illegal in ultimates, aka pro-incestville.

I did some checking (so I'm probably on an FBI watchlist now), if Wolvie went all the way, he'd be guilty of both statutory rape (since he's way more than 4 years older than the 15-year-old Mary Jane and rape by deception (since he was in Peter's body and pretending to be Peter).

Of course nothing actually happened, but he probably had it coming when Magneto killed him in Ultimatum.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

I'd buy it.

Good point. I can't believe I forgot about Valeria. She'd be perfect.

I want a Valeria and Franklin adventure book so bad.

So mine would be Carol Danvers, Storm, Angela, Phoenix (replace her with Emma when she dies. HA!), Angela, Invisible Woman, Mystique, Scarlet Witch, Spitfire. Let Valeria be the one who makes the team and gives missions with funding from the Fantastic Four's b.s. I'd read that book. Emma might make for more fun reading and interaction and her diamond form can allow her to be in a fight.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 28, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yvonmukluk posted:

I did some checking (so I'm probably on an FBI watchlist now), if Wolvie went all the way, he'd be guilty of both statutory rape (since he's way more than 4 years older than the 15-year-old Mary Jane and rape by deception (since he was in Peter's body and pretending to be Peter).

Of course nothing actually happened, but he probably had it coming when Magneto killed him in Ultimatum.
Phew, thanks for checking that. We were all really worried for...the past 4 years, or however long ago that happened.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

irlZaphod posted:

Phew, thanks for checking that. We were all really worried for...the past 4 years, or however long ago that happened.
I'm sure you're equally interested to know that it's actually been 10 years

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gatts posted:

So mine would be Carol Danvers, Storm, Angela, Phoenix (replace her with Emma when she dies. HA!), Angela, Invisible Woman, Mystique, Scarlet Witch, Spitfire. Let Valeria be the one who makes the team and gives missions with funding from the Fantastic Four's b.s. I'd read that book. Emma might make for more fun reading and interaction and her diamond form can allow her to be in a fight.

In addition to Invisible Woman and Valeria I'd go with:

Faiza Hussain, a.k.a. Excalibur instead of Spitfire. I like having a different religious view on the team, and her powers are strong enough that with a writing boost they could be omega level. She also wields the sword Excalibur which is rad.

Carol Danvers is definitely on the team as field leader, and I'd throw someone pretty new like Smasher. Izzy is a new mom and a fairly new superhero; so I like the growth potential here as she learns how to be both from women like Carol and Sue.

I really like the Black Widow/Spider-Woman pairing in Avengers. I'd keep them because they'd be the closest to regularly working class people, who've been to the rodeo before, and have that "Once more into the breach, dear friends?" kind of thing going. They're the 'everyman' on the team and would ground the stories on occasion and have some fun jokes where needed. They're mostly background pieces but they fill in those in-between moments and have enough depth already that if you need them to step up to the plate they can handle the role.

I'd round it out with Magik instead of Scarlet Witch just to have someone who's a total outsider but also I think Valeria and Illyana on the same team has about a zillion easy storylines to write no matter which direction you take it.

tl;dr My final lineup for Women's Avengers Club

Invisible Woman - Susan Richards
Valeria Richards
Captain Marvel - Carol Danvers
Excalibur - Faiza Hussain
Smasher - Izzy Kane
Black Widow - Natasha Romanov
Spider-Woman - Jessica Drew
Magik - Illyana Rasputin

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 28, 2014

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Castomira posted:

I'm thinking about getting into New Avengers, since I keep hearing about all this Incursion poo poo and want to know where it's going, but... judging by the little I've read about it on Wikipedia, is it as much of a sausagefest as it looks like it is?

Like, if the central cast is all-male, fine, whatever, but I just want to know in advance.

I just want to echo what someone else said, but I would 100% read Avengers, and buy the Infinity trade since Infinity ties really heavily into the Avengers/NA story. I started reading both books during "The Prelude to Infinity" and I just kept on going from there. I've eventually read every issue of Hickmans run and my God it's fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend of mine scored this for me today.

I haven't held a tape in my hand in probably 15 years. It feels right.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
My record shop didn't even get any. Apparently their shipment was delayed, so they were just selling them sight unseen like a Gamestop circa 2005.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

How quickly you all forgot about Fearless Defenders :(

EDIT: I just read the last two issues of Deathlok. Why isn't anyone talking about this? It's a pretty solid spy type book.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 29, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Soonmot posted:

How quickly you all forgot about Fearless Defenders :(

EDIT: I just read the last two issues of Deathlok. Why isn't anyone talking about this? It's a pretty solid spy type book.

Deathlok has flown completely under the radar, like Fearless Defenders did.

I wouldn't use any established female characters in an all female avengers because the book would fail anyway so I might as well put a few more female heroes on the board.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Marvel Unlimited is only 75 cents for the first month right now for Cyber Monday.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

slut chan posted:

Marvel Unlimited is only 75 cents for the first month right now for Cyber Monday.

I just tried this and it rejected 3 of my credit cards. Oh well.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My 9-year-old nephew is getting a Kindle for Christmas, and I was considering getting him a Marvel Unlimited subscription for a few months as a gift. Is it possible to restrict the available comics by age-appropriateness?

Actually, first question: Is MU even available on the Kindle?

Never mind, found out he's getting the Kindle Paperwhite, which makes this question moot.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I just tried this and it rejected 3 of my credit cards. Oh well.
Have you tried cramming a bitcoin into the usb slot?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I have to say I am really glad that this sale happened. I have been wanting to get back into comics, and Marvel Unlimited looked great, but I just kept pussyfooting around it.

I've started off reading the Hickman New/Avengers leading up to Infinity, and it's great. I also fully intend to dig up all those recommendations from earlier in this thread, so thanks in advance for those.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

slut chan posted:

I have to say I am really glad that this sale happened. I have been wanting to get back into comics, and Marvel Unlimited looked great, but I just kept pussyfooting around it.

I've started off reading the Hickman New/Avengers leading up to Infinity, and it's great. I also fully intend to dig up all those recommendations from earlier in this thread, so thanks in advance for those.

I picked up the deal today myself (still on through tomorrow I think). I never really read any Marvel before (or really that many comics in general. Just random comics I've been recommended over the years like Scud and Chew ) I'm just aware of Marvel because of TV shows / movies / video games etc. I also just recently played Lego Marvel and now want to dive into trying to read more about some of the more obscure characters and events that the game referenced.

I don't plan on renewing it but I could easily see myself doing so if I get hooked in any way. So it really is a devious idea.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 4, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-the-unbeatable-squirrel-girl-1/1100-150564/

Preview of first Squrrel Girl. The art has a distinctive style that fits the book.

Also, I though the tail was actually part of her.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-the-unbeatable-squirrel-girl-1/1100-150564/

Preview of first Squrrel Girl. The art has a distinctive style that fits the book.

Also, I though the tail was actually part of her.

I wasn't planning on getting that anyway but yikes I find that art really unappealing.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I wasn't planning on getting that anyway but yikes I find that art really unappealing.

I'll probably get at least one issue but agreed on the art. It is definitely... interesting.

I love Inhuman but I feel like going from issue 8 to 9 I missed something. After (spoiler for issue 8) they found Black Bolt they kinda just shrugged and moved to a different story line. It was kind of jarring. I love the whole Nur, Inhuman detective story line.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like the art. I look forward to Squirrel Girl. I look forward to her beating Thanos in the Avengers movies.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I usually like Erica Henderson's art, but the faces in there just feel too off and loose. Probably still get the comic though! She's got partially squirrel blood, after all.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Deadpool posted:

The art style in general is OK, albeit not great, but jeezus tapdancing christ her face looks horrible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there anything worthwhile out this week?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I like her face in that, it's the face of someone with squirrel powers that can beat up Doom all day every day.

SynthOrange posted:

Is there anything worthwhile out this week?

Deadpool is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the art is great because she looks kind of fugly like she did when Ditko drew her. I don't think it's bad art so much as a deliberate design choice, which is neat when most other lady heroes look like they were drawn to be fuckable first and everything else second.

• Locked thread