Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I didn't see it mentioned but there's also a Marvel trades sale, including the first volume of Bendis/Maleev Daredevil, Jenkins/Lee Inhumans and the first volume of Captain Marvel (the 2012 series).

I'd recommend all three to people who don't use MU. In particular, that Daredevil trade is great value as it nets you 20 issues of a run I love for 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hawkguy #1 is half off. The code is "bro".
http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/103675207763

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Looks like the expected Image and Valiant sales (though Valiant's looks like it's collections only), plus a big Red Sonja sale.

What's good from the newer (started in the last year) Image series?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

If you do not own Southern Bastards, buy Southern Bastards.

Everybody buy Southern Bastards.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Deadly Class is goddamn gorgeous, issue for issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Guess I could have dropped some names myself.
Saga
East of West
Manhattan Projects
Sex Criminals (though I've been losing interest)
Southern Bastards (my friend's copies and am a bit behind, anxious to catch up)
Deadly Class
Lazarus
Pretty Deadly
Rat Queens (I hope it's okay to still recommend this)

I've read one issue of Shutter and it didn't hook me and one issue of Wicked + Divine which did hook me.

I'm curious what people think of Black Science. I generally like Remender's writing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

I'm curious what people think of Black Science. I generally like Remender's writing.

the writing is neither the best nor the worst I've read of Remender, but Matteo Scalera's art and Dean White's colors are outstanding.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Uthor posted:

Guess I could have dropped some names myself.
Saga
East of West
Manhattan Projects
Sex Criminals (though I've been losing interest)
Southern Bastards (my friend's copies and am a bit behind, anxious to catch up)
Deadly Class
Lazarus
Pretty Deadly
Rat Queens (I hope it's okay to still recommend this)

I've read one issue of Shutter and it didn't hook me and one issue of Wicked + Divine which did hook me.

Alex+Ada is pretty great, if you haven't tried that. The first issue is free so you could just power through that today and see if you want to scoop up the rest.

I wish Nowhere Men had some new issues on sale, goddammit Image :doom: edit: or Rocket Girl :doom: :doom:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 28, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

It is, that was the first the writer heard of it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

It is, that was the first the writer heard of it.

What uh...what is this about?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

SlothBear posted:

What uh...what is this about?

Rat Queens' artist abused his wife and has since been kicked off the book.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aw, man. It always sucks when you find out that someone you really respect artistically turns out to be a real shitheel personally.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Vertigo-...cmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

First collections of 100 Bullets, American Vampire, Animal Man, Coffin Hill, DMZ, Ex Machina, Fables, Fairest, FPB, I Zombie, The Invisibles, Hellblazer, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Preacher, Promethea, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Scalped, Sweet Tooth, Transmetropolitan, The Unwritten, V For Vendetta and Y the Last Man.

The bigger volumes for 100 Bullets and Y the Last Man are actually much better deals if you're going to go past the first collections.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 1, 2014

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark Horse is having a Cyber Monday sale: 50% off all digital comics, which really means 50% off their usual digital prices, with discounted bundles, to boot!

Example: MIND MGMT, which everyone should read, is normally priced at $4 for the latest issue, $2 for back issues. Today, the series is $1 per issue, with bundles of six issues going for ~$5. You can also see this with The Goon, with 4-issue bundles priced at $3 apiece.

It's a smorgasbord, I tell ya!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for reminding me, I need to swoop on the Mind MGMT and BRPD back issues that have come out since the last mega sale!

I almost Vince'd at the Vertigo sale but then realized it's only the first volume of each series. Been waiting for a sale to clean up on Swamp Thing and Ex Machina. I already have two copies of Swamp Thing Vol 1, but I really prefer reading old comics on digital for some reason.

It's kind of weird that they have disowned Shade the Changing Man for the purposes of sales like these. Also, no Lucifer? Fake edit: oh, I see Shade does not have a volume 1 on Comixology for some reason. But it has a volume 2 and 3 :psyduck:

I wonder if different books had different deals worked out regarding potential future sales.

Finally, wtf is up with Supreme? With Ellis's new series, you would think that they would want to make the back issues available at least digitally, but nope! Only the Erik Larsen issues are available, so I'm going to jump to conclusions and assume Alan Moore and Liefield can't work something out. Which is ironic I suppose given the Miracleman history. Maybe these Superman deconstruction characters feature impossible to find back issues by design, to enhance their mystique!!! :tinfoil: Or, maybe Moore is playing out the plot of one of his own books; once the hero, now the villain, in some sort of Kaufman-esque master stroke.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Space Fish posted:

Dark Horse is having a Cyber Monday sale: 50% off all digital comics, which really means 50% off their usual digital prices, with discounted bundles, to boot!

Example: MIND MGMT, which everyone should read, is normally priced at $4 for the latest issue, $2 for back issues. Today, the series is $1 per issue, with bundles of six issues going for ~$5. You can also see this with The Goon, with 4-issue bundles priced at $3 apiece.

It's a smorgasbord, I tell ya!

DHCYBER14 adds another 10% off actually!
Edit: it says "newsletter subscribers only". No idea if it actually checks.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Month of Marvel Unlimited for $0.75!

http://marvel.com/cyberweek

Go binge on The Runaways, Nextwave, Thor: God of Van Art, 1602, and more!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Picked up the 75¢ month. I think I'm going to subscribe for a year. It's not as nice as comic zeal, but it's definitely serviceable. Marvel Zombies is a super bad comic though. I don't know why they would recommend it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zelah posted:

Picked up the 75¢ month. I think I'm going to subscribe for a year. It's not as nice as comic zeal, but it's definitely serviceable. Marvel Zombies is a super bad comic though. I don't know why they would recommend it.

I thought it kinda got better later on and if there's any comic that epitomizes "decent read if you're not paying for it" it's Marvel Zombies.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/World-of-Batman-Eternal-Sale/page/4483?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Batman Eternal 1-3
Rucka and New 52 Batwoman (Rucka's Detective Comics at bottom of page)
2009 Batgirl series (Stephanie Brown)
Batwing
N52 Catwoman
Catwoman When In Rome
The Long Halloween
Red Robin
Morrison Batman & Robin
Batman The Cult

https://www.comixology.com/Savage-Dragon-Sale/page/4482?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Dynamite-Collections-Sale/page/4481?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 2, 2014

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Does Marvel Unlimited link event books together? Like if I wanted to read an X-Men event would I have to manually hop from Uncanny to X-Force, etc or does it do that automatically?

Edit:
VVVVVVVVVV Thanks!

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 2, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you go to browse, there is an "Events" header that has collections of issues related to the events. Sometimes they are provided in a suggested reading order, other times they are just sortable by publication date.

I would highly recommend popping into the recommended reading thread or similar and asking about which books to read for an event, first. Generally, the main book and some small portion of the tie-ins are good. For example, if you read every book in the Event collection for Civil War, you might break your iPad in half by the end of it (and then be shot out into space by the Illuminati..).

Also, their might be some missing auxiliary books that are worth reading that the goons will point out. For example, the Drax mini-series really was worth reading before Annihilation, but it's not officially an Annihilation tie-in.

tl:dr; Marvel collects Events in the Events section of the Browse panel, but seek advice fist from goons before you start reading any event

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm going to pick up the rest of New52 Batwoman. Are the issues after Williams leaves worth purchasing at all?

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Finally, wtf is up with Supreme? With Ellis's new series, you would think that they would want to make the back issues available at least digitally, but nope! Only the Erik Larsen issues are available, so I'm going to jump to conclusions and assume Alan Moore and Liefield can't work something out. Which is ironic I suppose given the Miracleman history. Maybe these Superman deconstruction characters feature impossible to find back issues by design, to enhance their mystique!!! :tinfoil: Or, maybe Moore is playing out the plot of one of his own books; once the hero, now the villain, in some sort of Kaufman-esque master stroke.

The Moore Supreme run is available digitally from Devil's Due here:
http://www.devilsduedigital.com/titles/supreme.php
Much of it is only available for ebook readers (kindle, nook and ibooks, I think) rather than comixology. This is pretty horrible, but a little better than not being available at all.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Anyone ever experienced an issue in the Android version of Comixology where, when turning to a new page, the page will appear upside-down for a split second before orienting itself correctly? Turning the tablet upside-down doesn't help, although this problem doesn't seem to occur if I have it oriented in landscape mode. Oddly enough, if I slowly drag my finger across the screen so that the current and next pages are both partially in view, the following page will be oriented correctly until it's in view completely, and then it'll flip vertically before quickly flipping back.

I just experienced this today after not using Comixology in a while, so I couldn't say if it's a recent issue or not. At worst it's a nuisance, but I'd like a smoother reading experience and I can't seem to find any rotation-related settings in the app that might address this.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Connellingus posted:

Anyone ever experienced an issue in the Android version of Comixology where, when turning to a new page, the page will appear upside-down for a split second before orienting itself correctly? Turning the tablet upside-down doesn't help, although this problem doesn't seem to occur if I have it oriented in landscape mode. Oddly enough, if I slowly drag my finger across the screen so that the current and next pages are both partially in view, the following page will be oriented correctly until it's in view completely, and then it'll flip vertically before quickly flipping back.

I just experienced this today after not using Comixology in a while, so I couldn't say if it's a recent issue or not. At worst it's a nuisance, but I'd like a smoother reading experience and I can't seem to find any rotation-related settings in the app that might address this.

I had this issue in the build right after they fixed the black screen issue on Lollipop devices. I want to say they fixed it with the latest update, but I don't have my tablet with me to check right now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The screen-flipping has not been fixed yet. Comixology released an update a few days ago to fix this and it didn't work. I've been locking my tablet's screen rotation to compensate until the problem is solved.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Just would like to say the Marvel Unlimited code works when buying gift subscriptions, which don't automatically auto-renew. :)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

So long as we're talking about issues with apps, has anyone ever had their entire Marvel Unlimited Library (or Must Reads or whatever) disappear entirely on iOS? I can still see it on my Android and through the web, but my iPad insists that all those issues are gone.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Comixology updated their Android app today and the notes claim it fixed the autorotate bug. I have not tested it, however.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Am I missing how to zoom in on Marvel Unlimited? The one page view isn't very comfortable to read because it isn't big enough, unless I get really close to the monitor which is annoying.

The guided view would be fine if it didn't arbitrarily cut off parts of panels, but I don't see any way to move the view to reveal the stuff that gets cut off. If I could move the 'camera', it would be tolerable at least.

Hopefully I'm just being an idiot and there's some way to make all this stuff comfortable to read.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MARVEL75 seems to have expired. I don't suppose there are any discount codes for a year of MU floating around?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I installed today's Android update to Comixology and the rotation bug seems to have been fixed.

Any word on the deal with Comics Plus? They updated to 8.0 for iOS and there are a bunch of press releases about how great a competitor they will be for Comixology, but the Android version does nothing but drag and crash so far (tested yesterday).

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Sweet, today's Comixology update fixed the rotation bug for me as well.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Strange Aeon posted:

Am I missing how to zoom in on Marvel Unlimited? The one page view isn't very comfortable to read because it isn't big enough, unless I get really close to the monitor which is annoying.

The guided view would be fine if it didn't arbitrarily cut off parts of panels, but I don't see any way to move the view to reveal the stuff that gets cut off. If I could move the 'camera', it would be tolerable at least.

Hopefully I'm just being an idiot and there's some way to make all this stuff comfortable to read.

Sorry to quote myself, but am I really the only one with this problem? I was super excited to read all the old 60s Marvel stuff, but it's such a pain I can't see paying 10 bucks a month for it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it's just the way that system is built. Comixology's guided view has the same problem for me. You used to be able to stretch the pages to fit the width of the screen, can't you do that anymore? That's what I always used when reading Marvel Unlimited on a computer.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm not sure what device you're reading on but on Android in single page view, I can just pinch to zoom in like I would on a photo.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think the poster is viewing from a web browser. If you use a mac, you could use the OS provided zoom by ctrl-scroll-up. Might not look so hot though.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
are there still two readers? Original and Beta? You could definitely zoom in the webbrowser at one point, I think it may have been the not-Beta one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dubs posted:

are there still two readers? Original and Beta? You could definitely zoom in the webbrowser at one point, I think it may have been the not-Beta one.

It definitely says Beta; is there a way to use the non Beta?

I could try using the Android app, but the idea of reading comics on my phone just seemed like it would be terrible because the screen is so small.

As far as zooming in, on my PC I tried zooming the browser but because the comic page is in its own frame, it didn't accomplish anything.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just baffled that it's not a smoother experience. The idea is fantastic and I just assumed that if they are charging 10 bucks a month, the service would be better.