Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Aphrodite posted:

But then you still get everything you paid for.

Except Dead Kings was probably going to cost $10-20 and is now free. That significantly diminishes the value of the season pass. Hence the free games. I think there's an argument to be made that if someone wants a refund they should get it.

If I went and preordered a game from Gamestop, but the publisher of that game decided it would be free, I'd expect a refund too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

As a observer without any skin in the game since I'm still saving for a PS4, this is a real class act by Ubisoft. Not only apologizing, but trying to make it better with something tangible and actually at a potential cost to Ubisoft. It doesn't, of course, excuse releasing it so buggy, but it's pretty much the best response a company can do in my eyes. I'll be making sure to pick this up now, good behaviour should be rewarded (of course I probably would anyway since I'm reading a thread about a game I can't play at this time, but still).

Well, the big thing to note here is that the bulk of people are just getting the DLC for free. Which is nice but is also clearly Ubisoft struggling to keep people playing the game so they can continue to sell microtransaction stuff.

Aphrodite posted:

But then you still get everything you paid for.

I think the issue here is that these customers are asking for refunds, not for what they paid for due to severe unhappiness with the game. For US gamers that isn't an issue (they just can't get it) but it's a much more debatable subject in other countries.

macnbc posted:

Except Dead Kings was probably going to cost $10-20 and is now free. That significantly diminishes the value of the season pass. Hence the free games. I think there's an argument to be made that if someone wants a refund they should get it.

If I went and preordered a game from Gamestop, but the publisher of that game decided it would be free, I'd expect a refund too.

They said something else of similar value will be given to them instead IIRC.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wish they had included AC: Rogue in the list of games you can get if you bought the season pass. Only game I don't have is Just Dance and...gently caress that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

They said something else of similar value will be given to them instead IIRC.

They are not offering anything of imilar value.

The actual list was posted earlier and includes Watch_Dogs, FC4, and The Crew.

So for the price of a $10-20 DLC pack, you're getting $60 games free.

Also get FC4, it owns.

I guess I have to get The Crew.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yay, "free" Farcry 4. I wanted it anyways and was waiting for a sale. Neat.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TheCoon posted:

If you were retarded enough to buy the Gold Edition

Oh, hello, that's me!

Looks like it was absolutely worth it for Far Cry 4. I'll take $120 worth of games for $90!

I've enjoyed the gently caress out of Unity even past all the technical issues, so this is just icing on the cake.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Snuffman posted:

Yay, "free" Farcry 4. I wanted it anyways and was waiting for a sale. Neat.
Same!

Daily Forecast posted:

Oh, hello, that's me!

Looks like it was absolutely worth it for Far Cry 4. I'll take $120 worth of games for $90!

I've enjoyed the gently caress out of Unity even past all the technical issues, so this is just icing on the cake.
Again, same here. I mostly enjoy it. I just ignore the companion app and initiate trash. The multiplayer seems to be intermittently broken (there seem to be issues with synchronizing the clients) but when it works it's also good fun.

But again, I have to reiterate that I only installed it after the second patch and my gaming rig can apparently handle the game really well, which seems to be a cosmic coincidence of some kind.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lollerich posted:

The multiplayer seems to be intermittently broken (there seem to be issues with synchronizing the clients) but when it works is also good fun.

I have the same experience with it. When the multiplayer is working correctly it's actually extremely fun to sneak around with a random otherArno and synchronize assassinations. I've also played hilariously stupid co-op games where it's been me running around getting hit by invisible guards (ghosts!) and the other three teleporting around the map and through the floor.

And then the game crashes.

Lollerich posted:

But again, I have to reiterate that I only installed it after the second patch and my gaming rig can apparently handle the game really well, which seems to be a cosmic coincidence of some kind.

Been playing since day 1 and at first I got maybe 15-20 fps at best and now my game runs at around 30-40 (except around the cafe, for some reason, where it dips to like 5, who the gently caress even knows), and I didn't even do anything. I'd guess they've been working on ironing out server-side issues as well.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

I have the same experience with it. When the multiplayer is working correctly it's actually extremely fun to sneak around with a random otherArno and synchronize assassinations. I've also played hilariously stupid co-op games where it's been me running around getting hit by invisible guards (ghosts!) and the other three teleporting around the map and through the floor.

And then the game crashes.

Been playing since day 1 and at first I got maybe 15-20 fps at best and now my game runs at around 30-40 (except around the cafe, for some reason, where it dips to like 5, who the gently caress even knows), and I didn't even do anything. I'd guess they've been working on ironing out server-side issues as well.
I have consistently high frame rates at ultra settings (plus forced 16xAF and MFAA in the nvidia settings), so it looks really pretty actually. The game has never crashed not even when the multiplayer really really shat itself. If they could finally fix their server issues that would be great. I'm holding on advancing the story until I can get some more skill points and money, so coop mode would be the best way to do that at the moment if it wasn't completely hosed.

Also, been trying to get into [SAAC] but it seems there are too many requests to join the club. Can something be done about this? Is anybody from here interested in starting a new club? Most pubbies I've played with so far were either super compentent or retarded, I'd rather prefer some consistency.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lollerich posted:

I have consistently high frame rates at ultra settings (plus forced 16xAF and MFAA in the nvidia settings), so it looks really pretty actually. The game has never crashed not even when the multiplayer really really shat itself. If they could finally fix their server issues that would be great. I'm holding on advancing the story until I can get some more skill points and money, so coop mode would be the best way to do that at the moment if it wasn't completely hosed.

Also, been trying to get into [SAAC] but it seems there are too many requests to join the club. Can something be done about this? Is anybody from here interested in starting a new club? Most pubbies I've played with so far were either super compentent or retarded, I'd rather prefer some consistency.

This is probably my fault, let me go check if there's a shitton of request sitting there.

E: Cleared the applications for SAAC, should be able to send one in now, though there are only six more slots. Astonishingly my game somehow runs even worse now.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Orv posted:

This is probably my fault, let me go check if there's a shitton of request sitting there.

E: Cleared the applications for SAAC, should be able to send one in now, though there are only six more slots. Astonishingly my game somehow runs even worse now.

I have applied! Yay!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Unity just became the best creed game for me because I got a free copy of Far Cry 4 with it.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Is there some way to claim it yet though?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lollerich posted:

No, they said they're working on a system for that. I think there will be more details next week.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lollerich posted:

Not yet but it's coming.

The reddit post on this whole thing was kinda vague. To Ubisoft's credit there was a rep answering questions but what wasn't made clear is whether season pass holders still get that Shao Jun side scroller (which I hope is like Mark of the Ninja but almost certainly won't be as good) and all the preorder nonsense.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

The reddit post on this whole thing was kinda vague. To Ubisoft's credit there was a rep answering questions but what wasn't made clear is whether season pass holders still get that Shao Jun side scroller (which I hope is like Mark of the Ninja but almost certainly won't be as good) and all the preorder nonsense.

From the FAQ link posted on the last page:

Ubisoft posted:

What about the other content from the Season Pass?

Season Pass holders will continue to have access to a variety of additional content, including Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Just a sad reminder that if you are playing on XB1 and want to join my sad, nearly empty brotherhood just search for Goonassin. I think if I get one more member the progress bar for "four members" will be complete and we may all get a hat or some other meaningless doodad.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So 1.3 hit on steam. I don't think it improved my framerate so much as made it seem more stable? And I don't have crazy camera issues where it whips around randomly anymore, so that's good too.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Sorry for going back a game or two but do you "need" to finish AC 3 for Black Flag and Unity to make sense? I found 3 clunky and wasn't a fan of Connor compared to Ezio, the only 2 games I played in the franchise I didn't complete the story in were the original (drat flag run quests) and 3.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sorry for going back a game or two but do you "need" to finish AC 3 for Black Flag and Unity to make sense? I found 3 clunky and wasn't a fan of Connor compared to Ezio, the only 2 games I played in the franchise I didn't complete the story in were the original (drat flag run quests) and 3.

Watch the ending to 3 on YouTube to see the Desmond sorry end at breakneck speed. Modern plot in 4 is pretty nonexistent.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

I don't know that thing with the Sage in AC 4 is kinda important.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Anime_Otaku posted:

All 3 of those are relatively standalone. 4's historical story takes place many years before 3, so there's not a lot of crossover. Unity has nothing to do with either of them.

If you want to play Rogue though it ties heavily into 3 with also characters from 4.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eh, that "Four year development time" is kinda bullshit. They had people working on the game for four years, but I'd bet anything that the bulk of the work and programming and actual implementation was maybe a solid eighteen months.

"and across 10 development studios"

Some guy in the montreal studio made 3 sound effects and shanghai had a trio doing textures of which ten made it into the final game.

Lets face it, if they can't even think of a new mechanic to replace pirating the game was made in less than a year. And that's including all the work done in the 4 year timeframe we're given.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 27, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anime_Otaku posted:

1/2/Bro/3 are all you need to play to understand the modern plot. 2/Bro/Rev are all you need to play to see the Ezio plot. 3/Black Flag/Rogue are all you need to understand the Kenway family plot ( or just Black Flag honestly, 3/Rogue have ties to Black Flag, but neither are must play/that great. ). Liberation adds flavor to 3/Black Flag/Rogue. Unity is a new beginning for the series, although it may/probably will eventually tie into the events of Black Flag.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ardent Communist posted:

As a observer without any skin in the game since I'm still saving for a PS4, this is a real class act by Ubisoft. Not only apologizing, but trying to make it better with something tangible and actually at a potential cost to Ubisoft. It doesn't, of course, excuse releasing it so buggy, but it's pretty much the best response a company can do in my eyes. I'll be making sure to pick this up now, good behaviour should be rewarded (of course I probably would anyway since I'm reading a thread about a game I can't play at this time, but still).

They are just protecting the game's resell value. Ubisoft has vast invest in the game not diving to $20 in a short time. Class act my rear end.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

whatever7 posted:

They are just protecting the game's resell value. Ubisoft has vast invest in the game not diving to $20 in a short time. Class act my rear end.

I think they're still trying to recover from that dive their stock took after Unity got panned on pretty much every news site and got raked over the coals for its bugs and performance issues.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Unity was clearly designed with a long-tail in mind. They intended people to play it for a while, purchase microtransactions, buy the DLC and in general it was clearly designed with the idea of being monetized into the future. Instead they got a complete disaster which is being returned or traded in which has no good impact on anything. They're probably trying to rush patches out as far as they humanly can in order to get people to keep the game and actually buy the microtransaction-based stuff and the "you'll get the DLC in the future" thing is part of that.

The fact they're giving away a $60 game is totally a goodwill gesture but it's also probably because they really had expected to make significantly more money off the Helix Credits than they did off games, and the Season Pass buyers are some of the most likely to invest more money into the game that way. Games like ME3 or whatever have turned significantly more profits off their in-game purchases than they did off the actual sales of the game and Ubisoft was pretty obviously hoping to follow up on that.

We'll see if it works out for them but it doesn't feel like an honest me culpa and a lot more of a "oh god, don't sell our game before you can give us money!"

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

There is absolutely no reason to buy Helix Credits. The renovated cafe makes around 10K per 15 minutes once you've done the five really easy missions for it, which also net you around 40K total.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Clearly Ubisoft is expecting everyone to pay an extra $50 in microtransactions to make up the profits they're about to eat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lollerich posted:

There is absolutely no reason to buy Helix Credits. The renovated cafe makes around 10K per 15 minutes once you've done the five really easy missions for it, which also net you around 40K total.

Yeah, and you can't even buy the stuff locked behind missions/clan competition/etc.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Found this on imgur, and it completely hosed me up.

quote:

The official Assassin's Creed Unity action figure!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lollerich posted:

After about 30 hours I had literally everything in the game and I haven't spent a single cent beyond that first preorder, so that's how much microtransactions matter!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There was a great piece on Kotaku about how they had a guy buy the 99 dollar microtransactions package - and even with him buying everything that could be humanly useful he still had sixty bucks or so left.

Also, I laugh every time Ubisoft trailer announces "Worked on for four years with TEN studios." How in the holy lord of gently caress is ten studios a good thing? That's not a selling point, that's just poor management.

I'd be very curious to know what the division of labor was, in comparison to something like GTAV - which had pretty much every Rockstar affiliated studio chipping in but feels 100% more coherent.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

There was a great piece on Kotaku about how they had a guy buy the 99 dollar microtransactions package - and even with him buying everything that could be humanly useful he still had sixty bucks or so left.

Also, I laugh every time Ubisoft trailer announces "Worked on for four years with TEN studios." How in the holy lord of gently caress is ten studios a good thing? That's not a selling point, that's just poor management.

I'd be very curious to know what the division of labor was, in comparison to something like GTAV - which had pretty much every Rockstar affiliated studio chipping in but feels 100% more coherent.

It feels weird I know they did a great deal of engine/art assets but after so much work I feel like there should be more to the game like it feels like a sequel to Assassin's Creed 1 it even has the same annoying movement bugs and annoying "tail some dude while he blathers for 10 minutes don't get seen or you will have to do it again" missions like they haven't learned or evolved anything in the game design process.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
:siren:
For the next two hours, Rogue is listed as a Lightning Deal for 25 bucks on Amazon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm playing Rogue now and it's loving embarrassing how much more competent it is than Unity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I'm playing Rogue now and it's loving embarrassing how much more competent it is than Unity.

The 4th game on an engine shouldn't really have any technical issues.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Lord knows they ironed the poo poo out of the graphical and technical issues between AC3 and Black Flag.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
they really need to patch it to cut the amount of people milling around to half, the game flat out cannot handle it, the pop in is horrendous and people are constantly spawning inside walls and standing on stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Al Harrington posted:

they really need to patch it to cut the amount of people milling around to half, the game flat out cannot handle it, the pop in is horrendous and people are constantly spawning inside walls and standing on stuff
They've supposedly already investigated it, and claim that the number of npcs doesn't affect performance significantly enough to warrant any changes. I can however say, that I don't have any problems like the ones you mention, no pop in, no spawning inside walls. Still I wonder if they should have made setting for more or less npc/crowds anyway.

• Locked thread