Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
That's a real weird place for a parking lot, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

These are the people that patrol the road.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

That's a real weird place for a parking lot, isn't it?

Yeah it runs for a mile or two between the two 2-lane one way streets. This is right between the beach and all the beach-front businesses. New Hampshire has a tiny coastline so they make the most of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Horse Divorce posted:

These are the people that patrol the road.

An emergency vehicle is never considered to be parked.

Yes, that is terrible, but the vehicle code in my state interprets it that way to get around this kind of thing being an offense. I think this is a common way to do it.

(extra terrible for this thread: I've gotten out of an out-of-jurisdiction parking ticket on that when I was a fire officer in my personal vehicle because I wasn't provided and other vehicle by my municipality and it had red lights and a siren (all hidden)).

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Protocol7 posted:

Went to the gas station to air up my tires. I knew they were low, but not 10PSI low. :catstare:

I am the people we share the road with.

'Tis the season. I wonder if November is the peak month for tire pressure gauge sales. Some people fill their tires with nitrogen, but I wouldn't even know where to go for that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CharlieWhiskey posted:

'Tis the season. I wonder if November is the peak month for tire pressure gauge sales. Some people fill their tires with nitrogen, but I wouldn't even know where to go for that.

I'm also putting a lot of faith in a Conoco Air/Vac compressor to have a 100% accurate gauge. I underfilled mine just to be safe (around 32 PSI on tires that ask for 35.)

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Motronic posted:

An emergency vehicle is never considered to be parked.

Yes, that is terrible, but the vehicle code in my state interprets it that way to get around this kind of thing being an offense. I think this is a common way to do it.

(extra terrible for this thread: I've gotten out of an out-of-jurisdiction parking ticket on that when I was a fire officer in my personal vehicle because I wasn't provided and other vehicle by my municipality and it had red lights and a siren (all hidden)).

So there are literally different rules for us and them. What a surprise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Some people fill their tires with nitrogen, but I wouldn't even know where to go for that.

Your local snake oil salesman.

Horse Divorce posted:

So there are literally different rules for us and them. What a surprise.

Yes. For very good reason in the right situations.

But then they are used the wrong way. Admittedly, I was an example of that. But you use what you have at your disposal.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 27, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Your tires have 77% nitrogen in them right now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

kastein posted:

Your tires have 77% nitrogen in them right now.

How do I get it out?!
:ohdear:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Uthor posted:

How do I get it out?!

Do what I did and drive over something sharp.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

How do I get it out?!

You need to purge them with another, pure gas. Acetylene is commonly available and good down to -80degC.

Now I want to see someone with acetylene-filled tyres hit a curb or something...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

Don't forget that if you mention a modification when you are browsing insurance comparison websites, your current provider may hear about it and automatically raise your rates - on the grounds that you must have made the mod and just forgot to inform them.

Never heard that one "citation needed" but I'm prepared to believe it. Your insurer would have to tell you they've put your rates up though.

KozmoNaut posted:

But aren't the limits of what's considered a "modification" absurdly low?

It's the same type of ridiculous rules that state in no uncertain terms that I cannot put the uprated Brembo brakes from the 406 coupe on my 406 sedan, because they were never offered as standard equipment on that body type.

When my v70 was totaled it had a bunch of options fitted that weren't stock, like CD changer, better (oem) stereo, bigger brakes, oem alloys, fogs etc, basically me and the previous owners had all done junkyard upgrades.

When they wrote me a check they detailed all the equipment over standard and included it in the valuation. :iia:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

You need to purge them with another, pure gas. Acetylene is commonly available and good down to -80degC.

Now I want to see someone with acetylene-filled tyres hit a curb or something...

Considering acetylene will spontaneously combust above 15 psi I don't think you'd make it as far as hitting a curb.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Considering acetylene will spontaneously combust above 15 psi I don't think you'd make it as far as hitting a curb.

Might work on dirtbikes, max PSI there is usually around 16 psi

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

If you loaded the tyre with half a cup of calcium carbide when you mounted it and squirted some water through the valve stem...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Protocol7 posted:

I'm also putting a lot of faith in a Conoco Air/Vac compressor to have a 100% accurate gauge. I underfilled mine just to be safe (around 32 PSI on tires that ask for 35.)

Underinflating is generally worse than overinflating slightly.

The common old wives' tale that you should run lower pressures in winter tires is bullshit. You should actually put a couple PSI more in them than in your summer tires, since underinflated winter tires cannot effectively clear their treads of snow and mud.

Only bigass chunky off-road tires specifically made for it (and with beadlockers) should be run underinflated. They also have chunky treads with lots of space and little siping.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 27, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Protocol7 posted:

Went to the gas station to air up my tires. I knew they were low, but not 10PSI low. :catstare:

I am the people we share the road with.

I had a front wheel puncture, so put on the spacesver and went to a tyre place

Old rears moved to the front, new ones on the back, spacesaver in the boot. so, they handled every single one of them

Just checked them a week later as they felt wrong:

Fronts were 31 instead of 38
Instead of 34, one rear was 29, other was 36
Space saver as 20, instead of 60

Moral of the story: trust no-one.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
To be fair, you have to set the pressure on cold tires. The shop may have not even hooked up a pressure gauge if you weren't there for very long.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Those crappy digital 'slime' branded gauges that you get at Walmart are pretty accurate. I tested them a few of them against two digital air chucks at work and they are all within a pound. I keep one in each of my vehicles and one in the tool box at home. Much better than trusting a gas station air chuck that has been beaten and run over by hundreds of people.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Thanksgiving is a pretty goony time to start an argument on face book, but dammit I wish she would have gotten a ticket. give 'em all tickets.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 24, 2019

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
But she's right? Since when is the middle lane only for passing?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a62_1417098057

Here's a fella the UK cunts share a road with. I'm not convinced this isn't a comedy routine because it's straight gold, the straight man traffic warden and the angry ticketee. The way he swoops into scene all fast starts it off and the quiet staredowns are the best.

...oval office.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NoWake posted:

Thanksgiving is a pretty goony time to start an argument on face book, but dammit I wish she would have gotten a ticket. give 'em all tickets.

For driving in the middle lane?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

nsaP posted:

But she's right? Since when is the middle lane only for passing?

The use of "turnpike" makes me think it's one of those bizarre Eastern states where you pay extra to use roads and can't pump your own gas and everything's all backwards and strange.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

atomicthumbs posted:

The use of "turnpike" makes me think it's one of those bizarre Eastern states where you pay extra to use roads and can't pump your own gas and everything's all backwards and strange.

Dunno what that has to do with anything but if I had to guess I'd say she's around Strongsville, OH.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If there are more than two lanes, or a lot of on/off ramps I will usually stay out of the right lane. In the far left I would agree you need to move over.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Thanksgiving Day, traffic is going to ridiculously heavy, most states post laws to the extent of "stay in right lane unless you are passing" and she was going most likely 1 mph over the speed limit if not 4mph under the limit. I'm willing to bet there was a shitload of pissed of drivers being held up behind her.

Also, gently caress eastern states and God Bless Texas, and to a lesser extent Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

atomicthumbs posted:

She was on the Ohio Turnpike, which is 3 lanes for ~100 miles either way from Cleveland to Toledo with only about a dozen exits in between. Everybody following nose to tail at 70 in the middle lane means everyone going a bit faster (70-75) will be in the far left lane passing them, clogging it, leaving those who want to go faster (75-80) to dart between lanes and cars or tailgate people trying to get through the clog.

IMO, impatient or frustrated drivers makes for far more dangerous driving conditions than just speed alone. I think the people sticking to the middle lane do it so they don't have to be bothered with changing lanes to pass slower traffic, they can basically go to sleep the entire ride.

When I take the pike I stick to the far right lane and end up passing almost everybody in the middle and far left lanes, while changing lanes only once or twice every five miles or so for slower traffic. I'd love to pass on the left exclusively, if people would only let me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I-5 between LA and San Diego is like that. The right two lanes have way less traffic than the left two. You can sit over there at a constant speed and cruise by everyone backed up over in the left lanes.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

This is an Idiot I share the road with. I remember him almost backing into my truck in our high school parking lot one day a few years back. Just sitting in line and starts backing up for no reason.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Forgot I was driving"

:catstare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

2 things got my attention this morning, the number of people cycling (presumably to work) with no lights or reflectors. So they've deliberately removed the only thing that made them visible, then dressed all in dark clothing and cycle along 40-60mph roads? Noice.

Also the number of cars under 3 years old with burnt out bulbs. Are bulbs that much shittier than they used to be?

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

Cakefool posted:

2 things got my attention this morning, the number of people cycling (presumably to work) with no lights or reflectors. So they've deliberately removed the only thing that made them visible, then dressed all in dark clothing and cycle along 40-60mph roads? Noice.

Also the number of cars under 3 years old with burnt out bulbs. Are bulbs that much shittier than they used to be?

I think they can't be arsed to get to the back of the headlight to change the bulbs. My octavia was a pig to get to, but my mates pug 2008 is almost imposible without some major spanner work

Either that, or Ignoring the funny light on the dash. I mean i've still got a headlight on the other side, i'll just turn the foglights on thats fine, isn't it?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cached Money posted:

Come to Sweden where, technically, you can't change your tire size on any car post '96 (no one cares though, luckily).

Not really how it works, no.

Transportstyrelsen posted:

En personbil kan ha flera alternativa däck- och fälgdimensioner som ingår i bilens godkännande. Dessa kan finnas angivna i registreringsbeviset, under rubriken Övriga uppgifter (tekniska data, dispenser med mera). Om uppgiften saknas, kan en märkesrepresentant informera om vilka däck- och fälgstorlekar som ingår i bilens godkännande.

Om alternativa dimensioner saknas, har du som fordonsägare möjlighet att under eget ansvar byta däck och fälgar till en annan dimension utan att bilen behöver registreringsbesiktas. Detta utbyte får ske under förutsättning att däcken

är typgodkända
uppfyller kraven på belastningsförmåga
uppfyller kraven på hastighetskapacitet
är av samma typ.

Dessutom ska däck och fälg

ha fritt utrymme vid fjädringsrörelser
ha fri rörlighet i hjulhuset vid fulla manöverrörelser med hänsyn till bilens ursprungliga hjulupphängning och styrning
ha en rullningsomkrets som inte leder till felvisning av hastighetsmätaren
täckas av bilens ursprungliga stänkskydd (stänkskärm).

En alternativ dimension får inte inverka påtagligt negativt på bilens ursprungliga egenskaper.

Basically "in your CoC there is a list of approved tyre dimensions, and if you want to use another size it's your responisibility as the car owner to assure that the new tyre [conforms to these conditions]".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Extra posted:

Also some jerk on the pike tonight tailgated and then flashed their highbeams at a driver who didn't move over immediately while it was snowing out and they must have been going 70+mph. Just watched from the right lane dumbstruck it actually happened. Where's their holiday spirit? :colbert:

This depends, was there actually any snow on the ground? I encountered some idiots last night doing 20-30 MPH under the limit with their hazards on in the left lane because it had been snowing pretty hard a few miles back, but where I ran into them the snowfall was very light and the roads were just wet. We're currently in the transition phase where almost everyone here has never encountered accumulated snow and doesn't have enough any idea how to drive on it, just like last year and the year before, etc.

atomicthumbs posted:

Actually the Ohio turnpike is pretty nice. Tolls aren't terrible if you use ez-pass, they actually maintain the highway, it's three lanes from Toledo until just before you pass into Pennsylvania and you get to pump your own gas at the service plazas.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I expected today to be a total shitshow, being Black Friday and all, but it turned out to be some kind of weird opposite day. I had five cars notice I was coming up on them and they moved over well ahead of me. This never happens.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So, you're parking your car on a residential side street where a friend lives. There is a residential handicapped parking sign on the side of the street. With no other markings on the curbing or road, where is the location of the spot that the sign is reserving?

As in, is the spot from the sign onward, i.e. the rear of you car is closest to the sign? Somewhere in the middle? Or would the spot have you park with the front of your car close to the sign, and the spot is from the sign, back.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 29, 2014

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

nsaP posted:

the spot is from the sign, back.

Seems to be the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is there a blue curb or something?
Because it should be behind the sign, but how far? Does the person drive an excursion or a smart?