Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ayn rand hand job posted:

The 4th game on an engine shouldn't really have any technical issues.

Fourth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
my issues are with the PC version, perhaps the console editions are cleaned up a bit more

even after the patches I've fallen out of the world again, it's less prevalent but jesus christ

last night I was playing and I ran up to one of those lifts you cut and go rocketing up and instead of going rocketing up I went into the center of this building and was stuck there essentially out of the world again

syncing a viewpoint is often taking two tries which is weird

played that hoarding food co op mission with 3 other people and when we went to meet this lady we could use her as a cover object which was bizarre and it wouldnt trigger her next thing until eventually I fired a gun in her house and she freaked out a little bit and then it turned into "follow whatever her name was"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

3, Liberation, 4, Rogue.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Al Harrington posted:

my issues are with the PC version, perhaps the console editions are cleaned up a bit more

even after the patches I've fallen out of the world again, it's less prevalent but jesus christ

last night I was playing and I ran up to one of those lifts you cut and go rocketing up and instead of going rocketing up I went into the center of this building and was stuck there essentially out of the world again

syncing a viewpoint is often taking two tries which is weird

played that hoarding food co op mission with 3 other people and when we went to meet this lady we could use her as a cover object which was bizarre and it wouldnt trigger her next thing until eventually I fired a gun in her house and she freaked out a little bit and then it turned into "follow whatever her name was"
Nope, I'm on PC too, having no issues. I just think that the crowd should be adjustable not just for performance but also because it's annoying to have that many people around.

I only ever get stuck when trying to go through open windows something about those open windows is fundamentally wrong. I'd say 7 out of 10 attempts I just can't climb into an open window even if if I'm standing in front of it. That is the only major bug I've encountered other than losing my save on the first day (I've been keeping backups since then but it hasn't hosed up again since then)

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Has anyone gone up against the bounty hunters on land in Rogue? I have no idea how to beat these guys. The only thing that I was able to make work was the sleep grenade, and that's a little difficult to get right. Anyone had luck trying something else? They block break defense, hurt, and even counters.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Has anyone gone up against the bounty hunters on land in Rogue? I have no idea how to beat these guys. The only thing that I was able to make work was the sleep grenade, and that's a little difficult to get right. Anyone had luck trying something else? They block break defense, hurt, and even counters.

Shoot them in the head with your pistol, or if you're out of ammo, find some dudes with rifles and human shield them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bounty hunters only attack you if you kill innocents.

I never took Shay as a "fire grenades into crowds" type of guy, given his motives.

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
Applied for SAAC in the PC version of unity, I'm cyborgLenin1917 if anyone wants to do some co op!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Here's my Unity glitch video to throw on the pile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hny4VEK6o

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, Initiates is slightly less hosed now, in that it now can read your other rear end Creed games. My level jumped from 5 to 12, where I got my neato Shay outfit.

Still haven't gotten my Edward Kenway outfit back, though. Starting to think I might need to contact Ubisoft about this. :(

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
I just finished Rogue. It's a good game that you should play if you like Black Flag. I basically just went straight through the story missions because I was actually enjoying the plot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Initiates is now returning an error when I try to log in, instead of just not recognizing my games. Fantastic.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Narcissus1916 posted:

Bounty hunters only attack you if you kill innocents.

I never took Shay as a "fire grenades into crowds" type of guy, given his motives.

I just like cool fights. Kind of lame there's no way to actually deal with them, you've just got to run away/cheese it. I miss the old Brotherhood style chain combat where I could murder like 25 guys in a row, no sweat.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really liked the elite troop dudes in Revelations - about the only "challenging but fun" type of enemies to fight in the series.

I've never liked how many of the enemy types in Black Flag/Rogue are only vulnerable to one type of attack. Like how the only way to take down a captain is to counter and kick him in the balls... every single time. Unless I want to use darts or bullets or whatever, but that requires a level of faffing about in the inventory.

For those with the ps4 version, has the framerate and pop-in gotten any better? My local redbox has this available to rent and I'm curious if I should wait another week or so for the last round of performance improving patches.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ok, i just got Unity for use with my new GTX 970, but i've hit what seems to be a constant bug/crash to desktop.

It happens when it's loading up Sequence 2, Memory 1, so the loading screen right after that guy is murdered at a party and you get pinched for it.

It's pretty consistant. Is there a specific fix for it? I've got all the graphics settings put up to max, is there one of those i need to switch off to get past it?

edit: ok, low settings/high settings, the same poo poo happens.

There's not much on google for this other than a few people having the same issue with pirated versions (mine is one that came with my graphics card).

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 29, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kin posted:

Ok, i just got Unity for use with my new GTX 970, but i've hit what seems to be a constant bug/crash to desktop.

It happens when it's loading up Sequence 2, Memory 1, so the loading screen right after that guy is murdered at a party and you get pinched for it.

It's pretty consistant. Is there a specific fix for it? I've got all the graphics settings put up to max, is there one of those i need to switch off to get past it?

edit: ok, low settings/high settings, the same poo poo happens.

There's not much on google for this other than a few people having the same issue with pirated versions (mine is one that came with my graphics card).

Patches are coming just let it sit I am in the exact same situation there's other pretty games to try out on the 970.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Patches are coming just let it sit I am in the exact same situation there's other pretty games to try out on the 970.

I did some more general googling and found a solution that works if yours is the EXACT same situation.

Go into your AC:U installation directory and search for every "exe" file.
Delete them.
Go to uplay and get it to verify the files.
Let it scan everything and download what it needs to.
The game should now load the bit it was crashing at.

I also amended the video file names slightly to skip all the intro vids. These were returned to normal with the validation but i'm not sure if they had any bearing on what was causing the crash. I've not tried to amend them again because i'm just been happy to get the game running once more.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really liked the elite troop dudes in Revelations - about the only "challenging but fun" type of enemies to fight in the series.

Same. Them and the Papal Guard from Brotherhood were a cool way to mix stuff up sometimes.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've never liked how many of the enemy types in Black Flag/Rogue are only vulnerable to one type of attack. Like how the only way to take down a captain is to counter and kick him in the balls... every single time. Unless I want to use darts or bullets or whatever, but that requires a level of faffing about in the inventory.

Yeah, I really miss going unarmed and disarming enemies as one of the few ways to defeat them, or countering with a pistol/crossbow instead of the sword. The big guys and captains are also way too prevalent, which messes with the chains too often.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, the game might run like rear end, but i have to admit that these co-op missions are actually quite well done. Even if we all look like the main character.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Kin posted:

Ok, the game might run like rear end, but i have to admit that these co-op missions are actually quite well done. Even if we all look like the main character.

"sneak in and assassinate these two templars" *4 Arnos descend the rooftops with swords and axes in hand ravaging the land*

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Al Harrington posted:

"sneak in and assassinate these two templars" *4 Arnos descend the rooftops with swords and axes in hand ravaging the land*

Is that why the first guys i was with in the co-op decided to bail when i accidentally set of an alarm and proceeded to simply slaughter everyone. Thankfully, the co-op doesn't seem to end if everyone else bails.

Also, i noticed that after i finished the mission the npc for it allowed me to set up a private version. Does that mean that once you've done it co-op online, you can re-run it as many times as you want solo?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can solo it even the first time. And of course you can replay at will (in fact you need to play it at least three times to unlock all the reward$).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, if you hover over the co-op mission icons on the map and do it from there, you can choose public or private the first time you do it. If you take the mission from the random assassin dudes hanging around, you don't get the option the first time. :shrug:

also I just applied to SAAC, uplay name is drvonmorbid

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kuiperdolin posted:

You can solo it even the first time. And of course you can replay at will (in fact you need to play it at least three times to unlock all the reward$).

It'll also be easier to pick up the extra sync points without your team mates wondering where the hell you disappeared to.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OH NO MAN posted:

Yeah, if you hover over the co-op mission icons on the map and do it from there, you can choose public or private the first time you do it. If you take the mission from the random assassin dudes hanging around, you don't get the option the first time.

You can do it from the Progress Tracker too. I find it more convenient.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
But don't try The Tournament solo. Running the parkour course is a total loving nightmare.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GlenMR posted:

But don't try The Tournament solo. Running the parkour course is a total loving nightmare.
It takes quite a few attempts to learn the optimal route, but once you do it's not too bad. Getting hosed over by the controls is always a possibility, of course. :v:

The fighting part is really tough because there's a ton of dudes, so you'll want to bring your tankiest armor and all the medicine, ammo and smoke bombs you can carry.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

OH NO MAN posted:

It takes quite a few attempts to learn the optimal route, but once you do it's not too bad. Getting hosed over by the controls is always a possibility, of course. :v:

The fighting part is really tough because there's a ton of dudes, so you'll want to bring your tankiest armor and all the medicine, ammo and smoke bombs you can carry.

The Tournament is the only co-op mission I haven't been able to solo. The five diamond (star?) ones are a little tough but manageable with enough equipment, yeah.

gently caress the Tournament, it's not even very fun. How the hell do you make the guy NOT say that he was wrong to trust you? I thought we did pretty drat good in not killing anybody and yet he still said it. :confused:

At least I already ran that thing three times and it's done now. gently caress it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finished every visible mission in Unity and there's still three murder mysteries and four side missions missing in the progress tracker, how do I find them?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The mysteries are hidden until you get close to them. Yes, it's dumb. Go to the map and look at the legend at the bottom. It will say 2/3 or something, and just wander around until it pops up.

As for the side missions, probably the same.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Lunethex posted:

The mysteries are hidden until you get close to them. Yes, it's dumb. Go to the map and look at the legend at the bottom. It will say 2/3 or something, and just wander around until it pops up.

As for the side missions, probably the same.

Or you can use helix points to put them all on your map! Helix points that cost real money!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not sure how but I have some helix point in my game and I definitely did not pay for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's 150 or so free from Uplay, and you earn them somehow. I have about 450.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, all the armour/weapons in the game.

Is it possible to get them all? I checked the prices of the most expensive gear and it's ridiculous. Have they designed it so that to get everything you basically need to buy helix points?

Also, there's too much choice here. Which is the best way to buy gear? Focus on Health/Stealth? Melee? Does it depend on the item type?

I loving hate games that have a bajillion different pieces of equipment that only marginally change poo poo like health/damage.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Do the theatre quest first and swim in money for the rest of the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, buying equipment isn't really an issue. Upgrading it is another thing, though, because 10,000 Creed points to upgrade the highest tier stuff takes forever to grind. Also, nearly all the good stuff is locked behind club competition, which I guess wouldn't be a problem if the club stuff actually worked. :downs:

A lot of the Master tier equipment you can get is nearly as good as the Legendary gear (occasionally slightly better) and costs much less to upgrade, so I'm just rolling with that unless I need to tank with the legendary medieval armor.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Loads of items seem to have the exact same stats so you only need to save up for one in each tier that you want. I'm getting remarkably rich by doing the cafe theatre missions though, yeah.

I love the murder mystery quests. They're not that challenging or well designed but it's fun to have that kind of variety in the game.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I finished up as much as I could (without the companion) app, and I'd have to say the game is solidly average. Basically, it's more Revelations than AC3. The story was a little anti-climatic, with next to nothing happening in the modern day (the only reveal was in the Asssassin Intel that Juno is trying to bring about the singularity, and there are maybe 12 other Precursors out there?), and Arno's story kinda ended without any real fanfare or conclusion. Like when he was booted out of the Brotherhood, there's no resolution to this at all; apparently he can still do Assassin's missions with the Paris Stories and co-op stuff, and you can even waltz back into their sanctuary with no problem once you're exiled..

A lot of the side-content was a little bland, with the murder mysteries especially just being 'turn on eagle vision to find clues, then accuse the most obvious target.', but I did like some of the more historical Paris Stories. The main story-line assassinations were all really good though, which is one thing the series has been missing for a long time, having those wide-open areas with multiple avenues for approach was really awesome.

The co-op missions are definitely the stand-out, I love the presentation of the missions themselves, though it is a little weird how Bishop acts like it's happening in real-time and not a recreation of events that already happened. They play like Wolfpack with an actual purpose, and I really hope they do more of it in the future.

Daily Forecast posted:

The Tournament is the only co-op mission I haven't been able to solo. The five diamond (star?) ones are a little tough but manageable with enough equipment, yeah.

gently caress the Tournament, it's not even very fun. How the hell do you make the guy NOT say that he was wrong to trust you? I thought we did pretty drat good in not killing anybody and yet he still said it. :confused:

Just make sure you don't kill anyone while gaining the letters, and during the melee use a non-lethal weapon (i.e. maces or a rifle), and never use your gun.

There's honestly not much difference whether you do it or not, there's a few more guards inside and the targets are in less advantageous positions, but even when they were supposedly on heightened alert I was able to walk in and shank everyone alone without raising the alarm.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Anyone remember how long it takes for the big new AC game to start getting discounted? Now that I've finished Rogue I'm interested in Unity but there is no way in Hell I'm paying full price for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

OH NO MAN posted:

Yeah, buying equipment isn't really an issue. Upgrading it is another thing, though, because 10,000 Creed points to upgrade the highest tier stuff takes forever to grind. Also, nearly all the good stuff is locked behind club competition, which I guess wouldn't be a problem if the club stuff actually worked. :downs:

A lot of the Master tier equipment you can get is nearly as good as the Legendary gear (occasionally slightly better) and costs much less to upgrade, so I'm just rolling with that unless I need to tank with the legendary medieval armor.

Ah, i just noticed that the upgrades are yet another currency.

Talk about bullshit.

edit: Oh yeah, i placed a marker in the game via the companion app (pointing to an unlocked chest), but even though i collected the chest and removed the market from the app, the marker is still there on my screen in the main game. Is that pretty much there for good now or is there just some kind of delayed synch?

• Locked thread