Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

The same guy also wrote Cellular and Messages Deleted. Dude needs to stop using telephones entirely or maybe change providers.

Cellular wasn't bad either, for a nice little "regular guy forced into intense, dangerous situation" movie.

(See also: Nick of Time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I checked out Society and realized the trailer sort of spoils some of what goes on in the ending. I'm not sure what I would have expected otherwise and it is also foreshadowed in set decoration a lot.

The part that really blew me away was when he said, "I need another copy of the tape!" without ever having to be more explicit about preserving the original, because only an idiot would not make copies when such a thing is so easily done. Few movies do anything like that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching Coherence right now based on this threads recommendation.

It's just beginning, but the dinner scene is killing me because it comes across as so natural and well done, then they throw in "you know my brother, he hands with the theoretical physicist types, and he said to phone me if there was anything... weird going on"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Finished it, enjoyed it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Watching Coherence right now based on this threads recommendation.

It's just beginning, but the dinner scene is killing me because it comes across as so natural and well done, then they throw in "you know my brother, he hands with the theoretical physicist types, and he said to phone me if there was anything... weird going on"

Thank loving god someone said it. So dumb.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, a lot of the dialog in the film is really really dumb. Its unfortunate because the concept and most of the actual plot and characters are great, but it feels like occasionally someone entirely different wrote everything to do with the book and the physicists brother.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
For what it's worth, the IMDb page claims that the dialogue was largely improvised.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

For what it's worth, the IMDb page claims that the dialogue was largely improvised.

Yeah I saw it with one of the actors doing a Q&A afterwards and he said they didn't have a script so much as a rough outline.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That makes a lot of sense, considering the worst dialog is all from that one guy.

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012
Here's a good list of Lovecraftian films, I'm sure most of them have already been posted in this thread.

One that I think I'm going to watch soon is The Last Wave, since according to the list it's S.T. Joshi's (Who's the premier Lovecraft scholar) favorite Lovecraftian film. It also apparently has a Criterion DVD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

James Woods posted:

The Signal – 2007

This The Signal is about the aftermath of a signal that infiltrates every radio broadcast, phone line, and TV station that once heard slowly drives you murderously insane. It's told in three parts showing the perspective of three different characters over the course of the day the signal hits. While not the most original concept ever what sets this movie apart is the execution. It has a very unique style that can be terribly brutal and intense while at the same time truly hilarious. An interesting thing about this movie is that each of the three narrative perspectives of the three main characters is written and directed by a different person and then all edited together in a non linear fashion that gives the viewer their own sense of escalating madness as the film progresses. Incredibly this movie was made for only $50,000 and shot in less than two weeks.

I love this movie so much.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I have to say I gained a larger appreciation for it after finding out about its limitations - until that point, I'd thought it was just another M Night Shyamalayan w/ Mark Wahlberg "The happening" without being as completely boring/stupid/pointless.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I hate that another movie called The Signal came out because this is one of my most-recommended films of all-time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Strontosaurus posted:

I hate that another movie called The Signal came out because this is one of my most-recommended films of all-time.
I doubt you have much to be concerned about as to whether or not anyone will confuse the two - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2910814/

"On a road trip, Nic and two friends are drawn to an isolated area by a computer genius"

:argh: damned computer geniuses luring innocent people into isolated areas! Those bastards how dare they!?"

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

coyo7e posted:

I doubt you have much to be concerned about as to whether or not anyone will confuse the two - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2910814/

"On a road trip, Nic and two friends are drawn to an isolated area by a computer genius"

:argh: damned computer geniuses luring innocent people into isolated areas! Those bastards how dare they!?"

Have you seen the movie? It's not amazing but they really tried to do something interesting with the premise. The ending is kinda crazy and Fishburne is fun to watch. Not the worst way to spend 90 minutes.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I really disliked the 2007 Signal because the tone shifts are really massive, and I don't think they work. I was really digging the first part, then it shifted and the humor was, in my opinion, just not good enough for it to work. Then it shifts again and it just felt weaker then the first segment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Strontosaurus posted:

The new one is surprisingly enjoyable but yeah, I understand. This is among my go-to "Watch this weird film!" recommendations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Kangra posted:

I checked out Society and realized the trailer sort of spoils some of what goes on in the ending. I'm not sure what I would have expected otherwise and it is also foreshadowed in set decoration a lot.

The part that really blew me away was when he said, "I need another copy of the tape!" without ever having to be more explicit about preserving the original, because only an idiot would not make copies when such a thing is so easily done. Few movies do anything like that.

Yeah, when we said 'go in cold' with absolutely no spoilers, literally go in with no spoilers. Skip trailers, reviews, everything.

Maintains the ~magic~ that way.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Major The Signal 2014 Spoilers. How many other movies have it so Earth isn't really Earth but an Alien observation facility/space ship? I know there was one I've seen, called Dark City with these ghoulish looking aliens. I'm sure there has to be more. I remember people speculating the film the Village was being run by aliens and how awesome that would have been. I did not expect the alien slant to this film at all and was pleasantly surprised when I first heard the term ECB being thrown out there.

Good movie, especially going in totally blind.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Toad Road. I really liked it. I'm bad at describing things but I don't feel like it needs a whole lot of explaining. It's a hybrid documentary/horror movie. There's a lot of (real) drugs. I think it'll probably be more poignant for people who have a history with drugs. But I think it's worth watching for everyone else. I have never seen anything quite like it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Toad Road. I really liked it. I'm bad at describing things but I don't feel like it needs a whole lot of explaining. It's a hybrid documentary/horror movie. There's a lot of (real) drugs. I think it'll probably be more poignant for people who have a history with drugs. But I think it's worth watching for everyone else. I have never seen anything quite like it.
Weird trivia, one of the actresses died from an overdose shortly after the movie was completed and premiered.

Also, I really liked Shrooms.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I maintain that that is far more than weird trivia for that film, given the character she played.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
It's a tragedy, but it does continue to blur the line between documentary and fiction in that film. That blending of real-life elements is what gives Toad Road its edge. A lot of the film's unease comes from losing the stability of accepting it as straight docu or straight scripted.

The director's next film, Felt, has been screening at fests to good reviews. Sounds like it has some similar elements to Toad Road, but this one's being described as a feminist film.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bonk posted:

One of my favorite psychological horror films is Finland's Sauna. It has a political backdrop of Russia/Sweden marking the border to create modern Finland after the Cudgel War of 1595, but the war aspect of it is only a subplot. The main plot is two brothers, one a scholar and the other a soldier dealing with trauma from the atrocities of war, trying to escape the memory and guilt of an atrocity they committed. As they trek out to mark the border they find it runs through the center of a village in a swamp, which has a mysterious sauna that inexplicably draws the brothers toward it as they start seeing strange visions (saunas are a huge part of Finnish culture and there's a belief that bathing in one can 'wash away your sins').

Its main flaw is that it's short - just under 80 minutes - but that may even be a benefit because it's easily digestible to people who might not have checked it out. Still, I feel there could've been more of the political B-plot to flesh it out to at least 90. The cinematography is gorgeous (find it in HD if you can, it's totally worth tracking down), the acting is great, the story is really cool, and it gives you just enough information to figure things out for yourself. It's heavy on symbolism the way a psychological horror should be so it doesn't give away too much. I put it on the level of Let the Right One In as far as Nordic cinema I really enjoy.

For whatever reason it's renamed in some places as 'Filth' or 'Evil Rising', but Sauna's the original name. There's a BluRay copy with optional English audio but I think it's import-only. I'd love a North American release.

This movie is excellent. Beautiful cinematography and great acting. It may feel similar to Black Death at times, but that's mostly because of the structure of both movies. The historical backdrop makes it all the more interesting.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Also watched Sauna and The Tunnel from recommendations from this thread and I'll echo the above poster's sentiment, Sauna was excellent and very much like The Black Death in style and tone.

The Tunnel could've been a lot better but the way it was presented sucked all of the tension out of it for me. It's set up like an episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive and big surprise, the members of the film crew being interviewed make it out okay and the ones that aren't being interviewed don't. Despite great cinematography and an overall spooky and haunting atmosphere, you know who's gonna make it out and that makes everything that should be unsettling about this movie decidedly palatable. I Shouldn't Be Alive consists of stories of human perseverance and survival against all odds, and this is a horror movie where people who make bad decisions for selfish reasons get what's coming to them. There are films that are able to create a sense of real tension and danger despite knowing a character's ultimate fate, like Life of Pi, but this movie isn't one of them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just watched Grace: The Possession. It's a fairly standard possession movie but the cool thing is that the whole movie is from the first person perspective of the person being possessed. That turned an average movie into an above average one, in my opinion. It really did add to the tension. It even has the nerdy dude from Grandmas Boy for some reason.
'
Edit: The whole time I kept thinking how much of this movie could be translated into a video game. I couldn't help but be reminded of P.T.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 18, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was real mad that that wasn't a sequel to the horror film Grace, which I adore for reasons that remain a mystery to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220213/

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was real mad that that wasn't a sequel to the horror film Grace, which I adore for reasons that remain a mystery to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220213/
I thought they nailed the atmosphere in Grace so well, it's a movie that just looks and feels gross and unsettling.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I thought they nailed the atmosphere in Grace so well, it's a movie that just looks and feels gross and unsettling.

Yeah, the very first shot that shows a despondent Jordan Ladd having the most mundane sex possible really sets the tone for the whole thing. Also one of the more effective final shots I've seen in a movie.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So I've just seen Triangle. I liked it, pretty solid overall. There's one thing that I'm not sure if it's supposed to mean anything: Near the end of the movie, when Jess crashes her car, there's a kid from the marching band with a drum from Aeolus. Is it the same drum, is it a nod to the audience or is it something elsejust a reused prop? Doesn't seem like it makes much sense for it to be there.

Also watched The Box recently and I'm not very impressed. I liked the whole twilight-zoney esthetic it had going on, but the plot was kinda dumb. The 'moral dilemmas' the main characters were presented with were especially lame and at times completely nonsensical.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

grate deceiver posted:

So I've just seen Triangle. I liked it, pretty solid overall. There's one thing that I'm not sure if it's supposed to mean anything: Near the end of the movie, when Jess crashes her car, there's a kid from the marching band with a drum from Aeolus. Is it the same drum, is it a nod to the audience or is it something elsejust a reused prop? Doesn't seem like it makes much sense for it to be there.

What movie named Triangle are you talking about? Is it this one?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Yeah, he's talking about that movie. The symbols on the drum, Alpha and Omega, may be a reference to the fact that the crash can be seen as both the beginning and ending of the story. Also if the Aeolus is Jess's Sisyphean afterlife torture for shortchanging Charon the taxi driver, then maybe the drum being on the ship is a hint for her to show that at that moment she had sealed her fate?

Edit: Misremembered the symbols, it's actually an Alpha and Phi so I don't know what the gently caress.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 29, 2014

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

speshl guy posted:

The Tunnel could've been a lot better but the way it was presented sucked all of the tension out of it for me. It's set up like an episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive

It really goes to great deliberate lengths to grind all the tension out of itself. There'll be these amazing shots in the dark dank underground, and then it'll just cut to a talking head interview with one of the characters blankly stating that it was very dark, and foreboding.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
Saw a pretty good one the other day:

The manager of an apartment complex goes to check on a tenant who is late on his rent and finds a camera that takes photos 24 hours in the future, I think you already know he starts trying to use this to his advantage. It's not a masterpiece or anything but I think you guys will enjoy it all the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That movie was a steaming pile of poo poo.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Well gently caress, which is it?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

grate deceiver posted:

Yes, it's the exact same drum that was on the boat. There are other similarities, like the clock on the boat matching the one in her house, so I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Probably meant to be signals to Jess/the audience.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

the chaos engine posted:

Well gently caress, which is it?

I didn't care about it enough to think it was real good or real bad. It's kind of just there, and is probably not worth your time unless it's literally right in front of you and you have nothing else to watch.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I didn't care about it enough to think it was real good or real bad. It's kind of just there, and is probably not worth your time unless it's literally right in front of you and you have nothing else to watch.

Yeah this was what I thought, it's not very interesting at all. Not offensively bad, just generically bad. Although the ending sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The whole time I was thinking that if this were a small production of a stage play (with only maybe three or four sets and as many characters, it'd be easy to adapt), it'd actually be pretty good. As a movie, it's very mediocre though.

• Locked thread