Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So are there ever any black friday mtg deals? Any of the major retailers ever do any special sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So are there ever any black friday mtg deals? Any of the major retailers ever do any special sales?

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/11/26/magic-the-gathering-black-friday-roundup-2014/

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thanks for the link, wish I'd known sooner. That modern event deck for $40 is a good deal but it's sold out now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thanks for the link, wish I'd known sooner. That modern event deck for $40 is a good deal but it's sold out now.

Uh that modern deck is awful. At least for the 75 dollar MSRP. I would be in at 25-30.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Uh that modern deck is awful. At least for the 75 dollar MSRP. I would be in at 25-30.

$40 seems pretty good for original Elspeth, Sword of Feast and Famine, a bunch of playable lands, 3 Path to Exile, 2 Inquisition of Kozilek and a bunch of other assorted $1-$5 modern cards.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you can get the cards in that deck for $25 then please link me to it so I can buy 4. Deck might be bad but it's got a bunch of useful cards worth a bit.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
When it was released you could build it from singles for about $10 less than its original $75 MSRP. I think now you can build it from singles for about $55.

Getting it at $40 would be a pretty drat good deal. My LGS has been selling them for $65 for a month or so and will probably lower the price to $60 at some point in the not too distant future (at which point I will probably pick one up).

Entropic posted:

$40 seems pretty good for original Elspeth, Sword of Feast and Famine, a bunch of playable lands, 3 Path to Exile, 2 Inquisition of Kozilek and a bunch of other assorted $1-$5 modern cards.

You also get sleeves and a deck box. And, I think, a unique spindown (if you care about that).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Cernunnos posted:

When it was released you could build it from singles for about $10 less than its original $75 MSRP. I think now you can build it from singles for about $55.

Getting it at $40 would be a pretty drat good deal. My LGS has been selling them for $65 for a month or so and will probably lower the price to $60 at some point in the not too distant future (at which point I will probably pick one up).

You also get sleeves and a deck box. And, I think, a unique spindown (if you care about that).

Another site in that link has it for $45, I'm thinking about biting the bullet. I don't want the deck itself but I could really use that sword, the paths, and the inquisitions, and the caves are pretty good trade fodder right now. The deck was kind of disappointing when it came out but they really did include a lot of really good modern staples and a strong base for an actual b/w tokens deck, which I guess was the point. Hopefully they'll try again next year.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just want more of those sleeves.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Haha I was thinking of getting that event deck then improving it using hipster of the coasts list. It didn't seem that bad of a deck after upgrading

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Inked Playmats has 35% off everything, including custom mats. Just got this for $20.57 shipped :coal:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

wow so hymn much discard

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Dungeon Ecology posted:

wow so hymn much discard

It was touch and go whether to put text on it. Liked it better without, pretty sure I made the right call :)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

aunt jemima posted:

It was touch and go whether to put text on it. Liked it better without, pretty sure I made the right call :)

It's more subtle this way.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you buy everything in the deck at TCG Lows, it costs around 65-70. And that isn't including shipping. And then you get all the extra junk. Its a good deal at 40-50.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

aunt jemima posted:

Inked Playmats has 35% off everything, including custom mats. Just got this for $20.57 shipped :coal:

Would you mind posting that at a resolution high enough that I can get one too? I know intellectually that I'm supposed to hate memes but man, I love Doge.

Also, I'm drafting Conspiracy tomorrow (hopefully will have a pack of INN ready if someone cracks a Lore Seeker). theres a significant chance we end up at nine people. How should we play the games? Five and four, or three games of three each?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
No but really is b/w tokens deck based off that deck really that bad? Most people seem to call it a 1.5 tier deck after upgrades.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Boxman posted:

Also, I'm drafting Conspiracy tomorrow (hopefully will have a pack of INN ready if someone cracks a Lore Seeker). theres a significant chance we end up at nine people. How should we play the games? Five and four, or three games of three each?

I hate when it happens, but somehow my group is an odd number all the time, so what we usually do is have a random player sit out a round until the first match ends. Then, the odd man out is paired randomly with one of those two. The person they're paired with plays to win, but if they lose, it has no bearing on their standings. This isn't very random, considering that players tend to play either very skilled players (winners), very unskilled players (losers), or players who's games have finished the quickest (aggro players).
Repeat this process for the following rounds, choosing a new random player that hasn't already sat out.
It's not perfect, but it beats just giving the player a bye and having them check their twitter for the next 45min.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I play a BW midrange deck in modern that I started building with the event deck. I like it quite a bit and see a reasonable amount of success with it. There's a lot of ways you can go with it and if you like the idea of the archetype I say go for it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Xeom posted:

No but really is b/w tokens deck based off that deck really that bad? Most people seem to call it a 1.5 tier deck after upgrades.
It's a perfectly playable deck with a lot of room for gradual upgrading.

Here's the version of the deck I'm currently running:
http://deckbox.org/sets/808748

You don't even have to overboard on the mana, you can work towards that. It'll get even greater if they do put Zendikar fetches in the third set because not having the Marsh Flats is the only thing I'm sad about in the deck right now. Decide based on your meta whether you want to run Duress or Despise while you trade up to Thoughtseizes.

But yeah I started with a super-budget list based on what was in the Event Deck, I just bought singles instead because I knew I didn't agree with a good portion of their list and didn't want to pay for an Elspeth and Sword that I wasn't going to run in my version.

Although woof I do see that Leyline of Sanctity is over $20, but then again white has a ton of good sideboard card options.

It's good against creature decks, very good against Affinity, can hold its own against control decks. It's pretty weak to combo but if that's a concern you can overload your sideboard. I have found that it's not great against Abzan-colored Pod because Orzhov Pontiff and Abrupt Decay really mess with your plans.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Boxman posted:

Would you mind posting that at a resolution high enough that I can get one too? I know intellectually that I'm supposed to hate memes but man, I love Doge.

When my group drafted Conspiracy, we did two games of 5 players each, so I imagine 5 and 4 would work for nine.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cozz posted:

When my group drafted Conspiracy, we did two games of 5 players each, so I imagine 5 and 4 would work for nine.

Oops, I totally forgot -- you're right. Conspiracy is meant to be played in a 4-player melee. So a table with 5 and a table with 4 seems perfect.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
we did 3 games of 3 people and it was good, though I felt disconnected from what was happening across the room

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Oops, I totally forgot -- you're right. Conspiracy is meant to be played in a 4-player melee. So a table with 5 and a table with 4 seems perfect.

5 and 4 would be fine, but then 3 are ok too in conspiracy. I would be tempted to go 3s so you can have a second round with the winners of the first one in one game, 2nd place in another... etc.

You will have fun whatever you do, conspiracy is awesome.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Boxman posted:

Ha, sure! Here's the full-size file ready for upload. No idea how it will turn out, hopefully good! If you end up ordering one, send me a mid-game pic sometime. :hfive:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So how much does Inked actually care about using custom art without permission?

Because there's a bunch of signed art I'd like to use and also magic art that I'd like as playmats. Like Academy Ruins and Polukranos :allears:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Not sure about the blue version, but g/r tron poops all over tokens. Sideboard gets better for b/w but I would not call it a good matchup.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any UK people, till 2pm Madhouse have the Holiday box for a tenner. I bought 3.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Boxman posted:

Play however you like. We played an enormous seven-person game of magic. I wrote about it in my blog a little while ago. http://awakeningzone.blogspot.com/2014/09/m15-powering-through.html

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/grand-prix-licensee-transition-2014-11-28

quote:

Wizards of the Coast LLC has ended its organized play relationship with Gordian Knot Games LTD.

We continue to work with our organized play licensees to deliver the best gaming experiences to Magic: The Gathering players at Grand Prix across Europe. Regretfully, Gordian Knot Games and Wizards of the Coast are going in separate directions, but we would like to take this opportunity to thank them for the many years that they have contributed to the Magic community and wish them all the best with their future endeavors.

Grand Prix events planned for 2015 in Liverpool, Copenhagen, London, and Prague will take place as scheduled. Wizards of the Coast is working with other licensees to ensure a smooth transition and that they are run at the high standard our players deserve.

:toot:

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

I feel a bit bad because someone I know does work with Gordian Knot Games so he will no longer be working the GPs and whatnot.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

What the hell happened at GP Madrid to warrant this? I know there was an issue with an attendance cap that apparently didn't get publicized enough, but is that it?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

What the hell happened at GP Madrid to warrant this? I know there was an issue with an attendance cap that apparently didn't get publicized enough, but is that it?

I had a mate that went and missed out on the main event. There was a PTQ to make up, I think limited and free, so it was costly to make things right.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
God dammit. The cards I traded for on SAMart never got here. Now I have to buy 3 sylvan caryatids and 4 coursers at the GP tomorrow. That sucks.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Who are these people? Gordian knot, obviously. I already know that Wizards of the Coast is a front for the mob.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Who are these people? Gordian knot, obviously.

I think Ozymandius got into card games.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Veyrall posted:

Who are these people? Gordian knot, obviously. I already know that Wizards of the Coast is a front for the mob.

http://www.gordianknotgames.co.uk

They organise a bunch of big Magic events in the UK and Europe, based in Gravesend near London. I think all the british GPs of the last few years were them.

I guess either there was some big fuckup with Madrid or Wizards want to go with someone else. Dark Sphere/Dark Challenge has been running big events nationwide for about a year now, if they aren't already being considered I'm sure they'll make a play for the UK events at least.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dark Sphere/Dark Challenge has been running big events nationwide for about a year now, if they aren't already being considered I'm sure they'll make a play for the UK events at least.

Have you been to one of these events? The Loughborough one was a train wreck with only 6 ppl attending.. 4 were from my lgs.
And they were asking a £50 entry fee for the London standard tourney in November so screw that...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Aren't dark sphere also really shady in the online retail business, or are they the good guys and I'm thinking of someone else?

I could swear I've heard the name come up in the mini gaming threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

aunt jemima posted:

I know just the guy who needs one of these. Is that for sale on their site or did you submit that as a custom?

• Locked thread