Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The G watch is apparently invisible in sunlight, dont know how much that applies to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Which the phone only does if you flick your wrist properly or tap it. When you are driving or something and glance at your watch it will probably be off.

It honestly isn't that finicky. 98% of the time, any motion that brings it into view will wake the screen. I glance at it in the car and really have no issues with it waking by itself.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Wow the GWR is a big jump in price. Is a round watch that won't die easily so hard to ask for :sigh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I run my 360 in Ambient mode and get about 16-18 hours out of it which is plenty for me. Yesterday I wore it from 10:00 to 02:00 and it was at 10% (having disable ambient mode automatically at 15% around midnight). I'm not a heavy user but it's a watch, it's mostly just there for notifications.

Android Wear still has a few niggles but nothing too bad. And the 360 occasionally lags up a bit when the screen first comes on but after a moment it's fine. The screen is nice enough, but the resolution could be a little better and you'll notice some jaggies on images. But mostly you'll just be reading text and it's totally good enough to do that without ever thinking about the screen.

It's not a perfect device and I'll probably replace it in a year or so when these companies have figured out how to do watch hardware well, but I'm happy with the purchase and it was worth the money for me.

People also love to ask me about it which is cool, and everyone agrees that it looks great.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 28, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don Lapre posted:

Which the phone only does if you flick your wrist properly or tap it. When you are driving or something and glance at your watch it will probably be off.

Anecdotal but it seems like the drat watch is always on when I drive. Apparently the positions I leave my hands when I drive flick my wrist just right.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I picked up a Moto 360 myself back in early November. Since I'd been trying out wireless chargers for my other phones awhile back, I cantually have plenty of Qi wireless chargers for it, in case I needed it.

But I don't. I've never run out of power on this thing. Admittedly, I don't typically use Ambient mode, and I try to put it on a charger every night.

Even in the situations where I've gone to sleep without putting my Moto 360 on its charger, it still has a charge in the morning. And an hour is more than enough time to charge it enough to last the day, even on the cheapest, jankiest wireless chargers I own.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
I've really liked my 360. It doesn't come close to replacing taking out my phone but for the casual user it's pretty great. Battery life has literally doubled with updates which is just amazing. It looks nice and keeps me from compulsively checking my phone constantly. Only issue was when I ran into some other guy at a bar wearing the same watch and shirt as me, that was awkward :gay:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Reverse Centaur posted:

There's nothing wrong with it technically. Aesthetically it's not so hot but if you like it you like it.

Aesthetically it's not so hot but if you change the wristband it is completely inoffensive, even my fasionista friends who would have no problem telling me something I am wearing looks like poo poo don't have a problem with it. It's bland, it makes no sort of wow, super high tech statement, it also makes no it looks like poo poo statement. If you can get it for cheap absolutely get it, otherwise I would probably buy the Asus Zen.

Round watches may look cool but Wear is built around a square screen and despite what people might say about round being inherently more watch like Apple is about to flood the market with expensive square screen watches so no one is going to give a poo poo in about 3 months. Even now people ask me all the time "OH MY GOD IS THAT THE APPLE WATCH?"

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 29, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Skywalker OG posted:

Verizon is selling the LG GWatch for 100. Is this a mistake to purchase?

You probably got it already if you're getting it, but there's $50 Play Store credit if you buy yr watches there today

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

They ran out of stock by the time I heard about that, dammit.

Also had an extended return period.

Had to order it through Verizon, which blows because they have a $35 restocking fee.

snare
May 28, 2010
I think I just made the killer app for Pebble. Dickbutt time!

Dickbutt rotates so his dick points at the hour and his arm points at the minute.

https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/54789b6d6e0cd3c92300007f

Edit: wrong URL

snare fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 29, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

snare posted:

I think I just made the killer app for Pebble. Dickbutt time!

Dickbutt rotates so his dick points at the hour and his arm points at the minute.

https://dev-portal.getpebble.com/applications/54789b6d6e0cd3c92300007f

This rules.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not that you can apparently buy one at the moment, but now that it's been a while, what are people's thoughts on the Microsoft Band?

People still using them? Just trying one on in the store it felt reasonably comfy, but I am kinda debating between it or just getting a Fitbit charge or something.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Maneki Neko posted:

Not that you can apparently buy one at the moment, but now that it's been a while, what are people's thoughts on the Microsoft Band?

People still using them? Just trying one on in the store it felt reasonably comfy, but I am kinda debating between it or just getting a Fitbit charge or something.

Still using it and really liking it. Haven't had any discomfort and I have tiny wrists. Might be because I'm used to large watches anyways. I get a kick out of the little insights it gives so far and I'm looking forward to more being added.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe more suited to running thread in WAYT but i'll try here first anyway...I want a band/watch/whatever that I can put on my wrist and use to start a run on the runkeeper app on my iphone.

I like the Pebble watch but my understanding is that it can only be used to pause and unpause a run, not trigger the start of a run. Can anyone confirm this behaviour or offer an alternative product that will do what I want?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe more suited to running thread in WAYT but i'll try here first anyway...I want a band/watch/whatever that I can put on my wrist and use to start a run on the runkeeper app on my iphone.

Pebble is the only smart watch worth a drat on the iPhone. There are some more that "support" the iPhone but there is nothing that comes close to Pebble on support. Honestly at this point with the iPhone I would hold out, with the Apple Watch coming out soon and Pebble probably announcing new products at CES I wouldn't bother with iPhone right now.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Actually the MS Band tracks runs and can push the data to Run Keeper afterwards by linking the MS Health app to Run Keeper.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Still use it and still love it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The goon dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdWQQjmsuTo

Apparently it's secretly Sony, and it's probably not even going to be a smartwatch (if it appears at all), but who knows what the future may hold???

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
So Best Buy apparently had the LG G Watch in stock for $79.99. I decided to pick it up because you still get the $50 Google credit with it.
Wonderful purchase. It's not quite as well off as the Moto 360, but it's worth the $80.

Is there a way to download more watchfaces?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The Leon Hikari posted:

So Best Buy apparently had the LG G Watch in stock for $79.99. I decided to pick it up because you still get the $50 Google credit with it.
Wonderful purchase. It's not quite as well off as the Moto 360, but it's worth the $80.

drat it.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Not technically a wearable but still really cool if this works as advertised. http://www.navdy.com/

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I bought the g watch for $80 from Best Buy. It will be my mountain biking watch so I don't have to risk the Moto360

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

The Leon Hikari posted:

You download watchface apps from the Play Store on to your phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Groupon and Amazon both have the G Watch for $80 today, for $80 the G Watch is a solid, solid buy. Not the fanciest or flashiest but seriously it looks fine and Wear is still an immature platform, I would seriously wait until for the next gen watches for over $200 at this point.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Groupon and Amazon both have the G Watch for $80 today, for $80 the G Watch is a solid, solid buy. Not the fanciest or flashiest but seriously it looks fine and Wear is still an immature platform, I would seriously wait until for the next gen watches for over $200 at this point.

Yeah, at this point I've decided to get the Moto362. If it looks the same but has a better screen, battery, and processor it's an instant buy.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, at this point I've decided to get the Moto362. If it looks the same but has a better screen, battery, and processor it's an instant buy.

I was going to buy the Zen watch because square and OLED but it turns out there is no ambient light sensor and now they are moving towards GPS, etc.

I like Wear, it's a good platform, unless the Apple Watch is loving amazing I will probably stick with Android until at least the iPhone 6S so I'm willing to spend $300+ on a Wear watch but I want everything, I will absolutely not settle for less than an OLED screen with an ambient light sensor.

As for the current state of Wear, they all have glaring flaws but the platform is good, buy for $80, it's solid for $80 but I just can't see it being worth it to pay more for one of the other current hobbled devices right now.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The light sensor on the 360 is a non-factor since the screen only stays on for 0.5 seconds to allow the battery to survive a day. I'll take always-on at a steady "5" any day.

I only use manual brightness on phones too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reverse Centaur posted:

The light sensor on the 360 is a non-factor since the screen only stays on for 0.5 seconds to allow the battery to survive a day. I'll take always-on at a steady "5" any day.

I only use manual brightness on phones too.

I can't help but vehemently disagree. The brightness sensor is one of the most important things on the watch. I like not being blinded by my watch while I'm driving at night or in the movie theater.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bull3964 posted:

I can't help but vehemently disagree. The brightness sensor is one of the most important things on the watch. I like not being blinded by my watch while I'm driving at night or in the movie theater.

At least for the driving part, having a brightness "schedule" could be very helpful. For devices without a sensor, which are cheap and small, anyway.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
My LG G Watch R arrived... first impressions: It's really freaking nice. Better screen than the Moto 360.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Its showing as $150 on Amazon for me, was this a lightning deal or something?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Its showing as $150 on Amazon for me, was this a lightning deal or something?

Yes

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is there a nice looking watch face that you can include fitness info as an option (i.e. how many steps you've taken in a day?)

I have an LG G watch R if that makes a difference thanks.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Here's one, only caveat is it's $.99 and apparently has a compass that doesn't really work on it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=escape.watch.face&hl=en

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Where are all the good digital faces? I am using the Classic watch face on my G Watch just because none of the digital options were great. And, as it turns out, analog watches make better analog watches.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is there a reliable way to customize the background of the G Watch with your own pictures?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Is there a nice looking watch face that you can include fitness info as an option (i.e. how many steps you've taken in a day?)

If it's anything like the G watch just don't bother it is laughably inaccurate as anything but a novelty. I've checked the accuracy of my Fitbit multiple times against GPS and mile markers, it is rarely off by more than a few percentage points, the G Watch is off by like 20-40%+. If you are serious about any sort of fitness tracking just buy a Fitbit or Jawbone, there is even a Wear app now that pulls step data from the Fitbit API.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 2, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mister Fister posted:

The "hiking" stock face has a step counter in one of the smaller circles.

Three Olives posted:

If it's anything like the G watch just don't bother it is laughably inaccurate as anything but a novelty. I've checked the accuracy of my Fitbit multiple times against GPS and mile markers, it is rarely off by more than a few percentage points, the G Watch is off by like 20-40%+. If you are serious about any sort of fitness tracking just buy a Fitbit or Jawbone, there is even a Wear app now that pulls step data from the Fitbit API.

I don't know how accurate it is but my GWR is very consistent at least. I walk pretty much the same amount every day at work and its numbers reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
When I checked my G Watch against my fitbit, it only differed by < 10 steps out of 2500 in the interval I tested. I've since lost my fitbit or I'd check over an entire day.