Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
To all who have discovered this podcast, please do not download a single bit of its disquieting backlog. This podcast contains such uncomfortable concepts as a dog park to which you should bring neither your dog nor someone's attention, the ominous activities of a civilization beneath a bowling alley, a blood-soaked yet horribly familiar room, and an Arby's. (Wikipedia)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Just gone back through a few pages but I have noooo effort in me now, so this may have already been posted.
Regarding Carlos lost in the desert; In episode 38 - Orange Grove Cecil mentions at the beginning that there's an orange with a key in that opens a specific old oak door in the desert (and Jonh Peters, you know, the imposter, really wanted it. So I'm wondering if this might provide the way for Carlos to get back to Night Vale.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Glad we braved the rain in London today! The theatre is really nice. Relatively chill crowd so far too.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I really liked the Meeting Minutes, one of the funniest nightvale episodes in along time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Excellent show last night. The audience didn't seem notably different to other shows I've been to, perhaps a higher percentage of people having strident conversations about Firefly. Cecil came outside afterwards and spent more than half an hour in the damp and cold signing autographs and taking pictures. He is an absolute gentleman. Great night overall.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aishlinn posted:

It's a great radio show, dont get me wrong, but it doesn't provide me with bacon.

You must be listening to it wrong, then.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
That show last night was stellar, very atmospheric. I love how they adapted it to the theatre. Was lovely to meet Cecil, but I was a bit sad that Fink & Cranor didn't come out as well, I would have loved to say hi.
To the gentlemen wearing the (massively offensive) Indian Headdress, my compliments to you sir.

Namenlos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 10, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Namenlos posted:

Just gone back through a few pages but I have noooo effort in me now, so this may have already been posted.
Regarding Carlos lost in the desert; In episode 38 - Orange Grove Cecil mentions at the beginning that there's an orange with a key in that opens a specific old oak door in the desert (and Jonh Peters, you know, the imposter, really wanted it. So I'm wondering if this might provide the way for Carlos to get back to Night Vale.

In regards to Doors, oak wood, and their shared old age I think after the events of Night Vale's battle with StrexCorp the old oak doors are now negated from reality. So I don't think that key is in play anymore since the doors themselves don't exist (as much as anything can not actually exist in Night Vale). The Impostor Peter's wanted it to open the doors and allow the smiling god through. But that's been dealt with.

If Carlos is ever going to return to Night Vale (and I'm not sure how he can without invoking the same problem of him not belonging there) it won't be via any doors.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aishlinn posted:

Just the pilot. But she's no fun. :P

The Pilot is also not a very good introduction to the show. Shape in Grove Park is my favorite pre-plot episode, I think.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Crain posted:

In regards to Doors, oak wood, and their shared old age I think after the events of Night Vale's battle with StrexCorp the old oak doors are now negated from reality. So I don't think that key is in play anymore since the doors themselves don't exist (as much as anything can not actually exist in Night Vale). The Impostor Peter's wanted it to open the doors and allow the smiling god through. But that's been dealt with.

If Carlos is ever going to return to Night Vale (and I'm not sure how he can without invoking the same problem of him not belonging there) it won't be via any doors.

But then why is Cecil so insistent on him finding the door? Even more spoilery, during last nights old show a single sided old oak door was mentioned. If Carlos doesn't belong, how does he, or any imposters such as Dr. Kayali or the carnival come to town? Or is it a matter of all imposters can no longer visit as they will be lynched by the townspeople?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Namenlos posted:

To the gentlemen wearing the (massively offensive) Indian Headdress, my compliments to you sir.
What an rear end in a top hat.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I don't know if anyone is interested, but somebody found a new podcast called Kakos Industries that's in the format of the stock-holder updates for a company whose sole purpose is to propagate evil. I haven't listened to all of them yet, but so far it's pretty good (though be warned that the segments about the department of adult entertainment do get pretty loving disgusting).

http://www.kakosindustries.com/

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I'm looking to get a frame for my tour poster, does anyone know what size the print is?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Flea Wars posted:

I'm looking to get a frame for my tour poster, does anyone know what size the print is?

The NYCC poster is 24 1/2 by 18 1/2, which made it near impossible to find an affordable frame for it

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

A chance to look as cool on the outside as I am on the inside.
Hey. I have a couple of questions:
1) stopped listening around 40, what do I do, take it up from there or skip episodes or...
2) what do I do while listening to the show? I need to focus but sitting still and listening can get a bit dull.
thanks

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CornBrick posted:

Hey. I have a couple of questions:
1) stopped listening around 40, what do I do, take it up from there or skip episodes or...
2) what do I do while listening to the show? I need to focus but sitting still and listening can get a bit dull.
thanks

1) Listen to the ones you missed. Then listen to them all again.
2) I usually listen to the episodes in the car to/from work, or while working on hobbies. But I'm not sure what to tell you if you can't sit still for like 30 min and listen to a show.

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

Crain posted:

2) I usually listen to the episodes in the car to/from work, or while working on hobbies. But I'm not sure what to tell you if you can't sit still for like 30 min and listen to a show.

Not that I can't, it just gets a bit dull. Good idea with the hobbies.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Crain posted:

1: Seconded.
2: I typically do something that's specific to my hands, like knitting or sewing, as opposed to activities that use my brain like videogames. I listened to the first 10-15 episodes in a row while I was making props for a costume last year.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CornBrick posted:

what do I do while listening to the show?

:420:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The entire reason podcasts exist is that having something to listen to makes loading the dishwasher tolerable.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The entire reason podcasts exist is that having something to listen to makes loading the dishwasher tolerable.

I prefer Hardcore History for chore related distraction.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I played a lot of Dwarf Fortress while listening (and relistening) to the archive. In general, any video game that you enioy, but which includes repetitive/dull aspects and which doesn't require constant attention (or can be easily paused), so you can focus on the podcast.

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

right, a dumb video game...gotcha
I need to get caught up.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If you find it monotonous binge-ing episodes, I'd say listen to as many as you want/can handle. If you still need something else to listen to, I'd recommend other podcasts to mix things up. Two I'd recommend, Idle Thumbs and Serial. Idle Thumbs are a bunch of dudes who make games or work within the press, who sit and talk about games in an interesting and smart way (i.e. not just sitting around bitching and/or praising CoD. Rather they'd talk about a loose adaptation of 'Around the World in 80 Days', that's only on iOS because the fluid narratives is something unseen in games). Serial is a spin-off of This American Life dedicated to one story, week after week. It focuses on a trial where a young man was convicted on very circumstantial evidence. It takes a look at the evidence for and against him, the various parties involved, and the murder he was convicted of. While Idle Thumbs is best started at whatever the current episode and never looking back, Serial demands a start by listening to episode one and following it sequentially by episode number. That said, it is very good, to the point of being some people's obsession even though the ninth episode is released tomorrow.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If you find it monotonous binge-ing episodes, I'd say listen to as many as you want/can handle. If you still need something else to listen to, I'd recommend other podcasts to mix things up. Two I'd recommend, Idle Thumbs and Serial. Idle Thumbs are a bunch of dudes who make games or work within the press, who sit and talk about games in an interesting and smart way (i.e. not just sitting around bitching and/or praising CoD. Rather they'd talk about a loose adaptation of 'Around the World in 80 Days', that's only on iOS because the fluid narratives is something unseen in games). Serial is a spin-off of This American Life dedicated to one story, week after week. It focuses on a trial where a young man was convicted on very circumstantial evidence. It takes a look at the evidence for and against him, the various parties involved, and the murder he was convicted of. While Idle Thumbs is best started at whatever the current episode and never looking back, Serial demands a start by listening to episode one and following it sequentially by episode number. That said, it is very good, to the point of being some people's obsession even though the ninth episode is released tomorrow.

So... good. I ended up binge listening to the entirety of Serial today, and its honestly one of the best bits of editorial reporting I've ever come across.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I listen to it in my bed with the lights off so I don't have any visual distractions.

Driving at night is also good if you're on a quiet road.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Question - Did any one who went to the live show actually enjoy the unexpected half an hour of music at the start? One song was fun, 2 songs was ok, but I was getting seriously fed up after that.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Namenlos posted:

Question - Did any one who went to the live show actually enjoy the unexpected half an hour of music at the start? One song was fun, 2 songs was ok, but I was getting seriously fed up after that.

I didn't know it was going to happen and felt mildly annoyed, albeit not in a way I would have complained about in the official thread, through the first song and a half -- but then since it was Eliza Rickman I accepted it as an extra-long weather forecast and ended up quite enjoying it. In retrospect I'm happy I got the chance to hear her perform.

(It was also a nice way to chill out from the adrenaline rush of entering a theater full of several times the noise and several hundred people more than I'd been expecting, but mileage will vary among those who don't respond to large shrieking crowds with a fight-or-flight reaction.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yes? It was really good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Namenlos posted:

What kind of fun-hating curmudgeon are you?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Namenlos posted:

Is it really unexpected? There have been musical openers at every live Night Vale show since.. well pretty much since live Night Vale shows have been a thing. Why are you fed up about them?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Namenlos posted:

I enjoyed it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If I recall correctly, the show time listed on the ticket was when the actual show started, and you just got music for 30 minutes before that. Sorry you don't like free music? :confused:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

I enjoyed it.

I bet you did, Hitler.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I was mildly annoyed when they interrupted the awesome Eliza Rickman concert to do some weird spoken word thing about libraries.

(No I was not.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would have been upset if all Ricman got was one song during the weather. I also bought a CD, got it signed, and got my picture taken with her after the show. Cause she owns. Sorry that you're lame, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TheJoker138 posted:

I would have been upset if all Ricman got was one song during the weather. I also bought a CD, got it signed, and got my picture taken with her after the show. Cause she owns. Sorry that you're lame, though.

If Night Vale ever comes down NZ way, I can only loudly hope that they bring Eliza or Jason Webley.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Namenlos posted:

Overly long music makes sense for Night Vale. Kaufmanian, even. If Andy Kaufman could have gotten away with a joke that went on for so long that it took over an entire network for years and years, he would have. (Something like that actually did happen and and it's still going; it's called Jerkcity.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

Overly long music makes sense for Night Vale. Kaufmanian, even. If Andy Kaufman could have gotten away with a joke that went on for so long that it took over an entire network for years and years, he would have. (Something like that actually did happen and and it's still going; it's called Jerkcity.)

There's nothing overly long or Kaufmanian about having your musical guest who does the weather do a short (I want to say it was 4 or 5 songs) set before the show proper begins. Paying a musician to go on tour with you and then play one song a night would be pants on head retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
One other thing to keep in mind is these aren't big name musicians. They need exposure at this point in their career to promote their act. It's awesome that Night Vale supports independent musicians and Eliza Rickman owns bones.