Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know a bean and a nut are pretty different, but Im disappointed that googling "coffee butter" hasn't brought me delicious links. Not coffee infused butter, more like a spreadable coffee concentrate ala peanut butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Cage posted:

I know a bean and a nut are pretty different, but Im disappointed that googling "coffee butter" hasn't brought me delicious links. Not coffee infused butter, more like a spreadable coffee concentrate ala peanut butter.

Try googling "coffee spread" instead. First result. No idea if it's any good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDOB9mby_w

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That's the shop where I get my beans, it's next to Hipster Central (Silverlake). What you don't see are the baristas with handlebar moustaches and bowties.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Just got a Behmor 1600 Plus since Sweet Maria's finally got more in stock. Previously I've been roasting with a Freshroast for a year an a half. First observation was, holy poo poo, I need a lot more space for this. I've only done one 1/4 lb roast in it so far, so I'll have better opinions in a few weeks. But here are the things I like so far over the Freshroast.

1-Way less scorched beans compared to my Freshroast. On the Freshroast I'd always have to pick out some fully scorched beans, and then even more with small scorch marks. I've gotten pretty good with the Freshroast to reduce scorching(cycle heat/cool until there was good movement in the beans), but there was no way to fully eliminate it. With the Behmor I only picked out 2 pretty dark beans and 3 under roasted beans.

2-Wow, this thing is quiet compared to the Freshroast.

3-A lot less smoke aroma compared to my Freshroast. I'm guessing this advantage may go away with 1/2-1 lb roasts.

Con:

1-The only con so far is that the chaff cleanup is way easier on the Freshroast. I could just take off the top and dump it all in the trash. Now I need to use a dustbuster to get all the chaff.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat, not sure what to do with my homeroasting now that I'm in New England and it's getting cold out.

In Texas, I used to just take my air popcorn popper outside and go to town. I tried that yesterday when it was 30 degrees out and I got it done, but it took twice as long and it was loving cold as poo poo out.

I have a garage, but it's not much warmer than outside, plus the chaff will get everywhere.

I don't want to roast inside, because 1) my venthood above the stove does not vent outside and 2) my wife says the smell gives her a headache.

Any options?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For chaff you can put a few inches of water in a wide pan or bowl and put that under the hot air exhaust. Chaff hits the water and sticks there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

withak posted:

For chaff you can put a few inches of water in a wide pan or bowl and put that under the hot air exhaust. Chaff hits the water and sticks there.

Hmm yeah, I used to do a wet paper towel which was semi-effective, but the water would probably work a lot better. Then I can just dump it out or down the disposal.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone have more than cursory experience with P2 on a Behmor? I've got city+/full city pretty well dialed in for my current batch of Guatemalan at 18:15 to 18:30 for 600g of green coffee (it's quite literally set it and forget it until about 16 minutes in) but I'd like to hear from others using P2 and compare techniques.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

nwin posted:

drat, not sure what to do with my homeroasting now that I'm in New England and it's getting cold out.

In Texas, I used to just take my air popcorn popper outside and go to town. I tried that yesterday when it was 30 degrees out and I got it done, but it took twice as long and it was loving cold as poo poo out.

I have a garage, but it's not much warmer than outside, plus the chaff will get everywhere.

I don't want to roast inside, because 1) my venthood above the stove does not vent outside and 2) my wife says the smell gives her a headache.

Any options?

I'm in much the same boat as you. I normally roast outside with a heat gun but it's getting cold as poo poo here too.

When I drink the rest of my current beans I'm going to give the Whirly Pop a try. Seems like a decent cheap option, and I might even be able to roast it with the lid closed the entire time, which means no chaff problems! I'll let you know how it goes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You are supposed to leave the lid closed on the Whirlypop, that is how the heat stays in. Even with the lid open, zero chaff comes out until you pour out the beans after.

I suggest dumping the roasted beans into a collander and blowing the chaff off over a sink while the beans cool.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

withak posted:

You are supposed to leave the lid closed on the Whirlypop, that is how the heat stays in. Even with the lid open, zero chaff comes out until you pour out the beans after.

I suggest dumping the roasted beans into a collander and blowing the chaff off over a sink while the beans cool.

Oh really? I was watching the Sweet Maria's video of how to use it and they had the lid open the whole time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think the whirly pop would enhance the smell problems my wife has, though...

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

nwin posted:

I think the whirly pop would enhance the smell problems my wife has, though...

Yeah, very possible. I don't have the smell issues here so I'm not sure I could address them. Maybe you could put some sort of scent-absorbing material in the kitchen hood?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 21, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

So lately I'm having a love affair with the Starbucks iced coffee maker. It is on clearance for $20 USD, and after partner holiday discount (make a friend if you don't know one already), you can have it for $12. It is a really well executed Japanese-style iced coffee maker, and since I still have a huge hard-on for Japanese iced coffee, it has been well worth the money for me. Yes, one can do the same thing with a Hario range server, but if you don't have that, hard to go wrong with this. It's also bigger than the Hario range server, so it's nice for making three or four servings, when I have a few more people over.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

toenut posted:

Just got a Behmor 1600 Plus since Sweet Maria's finally got more in stock. Previously I've been roasting with a Freshroast for a year an a half. First observation was, holy poo poo, I need a lot more space for this. I've only done one 1/4 lb roast in it so far, so I'll have better opinions in a few weeks. But here are the things I like so far over the Freshroast.

1-Way less scorched beans compared to my Freshroast. On the Freshroast I'd always have to pick out some fully scorched beans, and then even more with small scorch marks. I've gotten pretty good with the Freshroast to reduce scorching(cycle heat/cool until there was good movement in the beans), but there was no way to fully eliminate it. With the Behmor I only picked out 2 pretty dark beans and 3 under roasted beans.

2-Wow, this thing is quiet compared to the Freshroast.

3-A lot less smoke aroma compared to my Freshroast. I'm guessing this advantage may go away with 1/2-1 lb roasts.

Con:

1-The only con so far is that the chaff cleanup is way easier on the Freshroast. I could just take off the top and dump it all in the trash. Now I need to use a dustbuster to get all the chaff.

I just took the plunge and got one too. I am going to kick this in high gear and roast a ton of coffee, start cupping it and become an expert. then sell it and make ZILLIONS of dollars.

no seriously though I'm very excited about the new manual modes with the Behmor.. It seems that update has solved a lot of the problems folks were complaining about.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I said just gently caress it and I roasted this poo poo in my oven today.

I roasted two batches. This was the first one. The second one was more even.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Post the details! I have been wondering about that but I assumed there was a good reason why people chose HGDB over a conventional oven.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's due to not being able to agitate them to keep things even instead of sitting flat on a hot surface.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did Filtropa changed their filter recipe? I cracked open a new box of #4s last week and now my CCD won't drain 100%; there is always a quarter-inch or so of coffee left above the grounds after it is done dripping. I'm using the same grind that I have been for ages. I even tried coarsening it up a little this morning and it still didn't drain 100%.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Do I want Ceramic or Steel burrs on my Baratza?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

Post the details! I have been wondering about that but I assumed there was a good reason why people chose HGDB over a conventional oven.

For whatever reason, I don't like using DBHG. The first batch I did this way I didn't agitate at all and yes, it was uneven and some of the beans got a little umm spanish. The next one I did I agitated it four times during the roast it came out perfectly even. I played around with the heat and was between 400 and 450. First roast was about 10 minutes at 450; the second and more successful roast was about 15 around 400. I took my roasting pan outside and transferred the beans to a bowl and agitated them while they cool to shake out the chaff.

I thought it was a lot easier than the air poppers or DBHG. I will probably get a behmor in the future but I will use this until then.

Tastes pretty good. My wife did ask me if I had burnt something when I got home.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Bobx66 posted:

Do I want Ceramic or Steel burrs on my Baratza?

What do you drink?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

dik-dik posted:

What do you drink?

Chemex.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone own a Manuel la pavoni? Or have used one? If so what's your opinion on using it?
For those curious If you've never heard of it, here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004S9GH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417042057&sr=1-2

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 27, 2014

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MasterControl posted:

Does anyone own a Manuel la pavoni? Or have used one? If so what's your opinion on using it?
For those curious If you've never heard of it, here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004S9GH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417042057&sr=1-2

If you're gonna spend that much for a manual lever, there are probably better options, but I've been out of the market for a while. I have an older Olympia cremina I restored myself for a fraction of the cost. I would check out the lever subforum on homebarista for more up to date information and opinions.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

withak posted:

Did Filtropa changed their filter recipe? I cracked open a new box of #4s last week and now my CCD won't drain 100%; there is always a quarter-inch or so of coffee left above the grounds after it is done dripping. I'm using the same grind that I have been for ages. I even tried coarsening it up a little this morning and it still didn't drain 100%.

I've been having the same issue as well only using the ceramic CCD like dripper from Bonavita. It's been really annoying me.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
It's approaching summer in my part of the world and I'd like to start brewing up some cold coffee to start the day with. Anybody have any guides/tips for doing so, especially in batches so I can store it in the fridge for a few days?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Captain_Person posted:

It's approaching summer in my part of the world and I'd like to start brewing up some cold coffee to start the day with. Anybody have any guides/tips for doing so, especially in batches so I can store it in the fridge for a few days?

Use this.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Captain_Person posted:

I tried it for the first time recently following a guide I Googled.

http://m.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cold-Brew-Coffee/

I didn't have the filters to use as "coffee bags" so I poured the entire lot through a sieve to get large grounds out before doing the filter/drip process

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:argh:

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Amazon has the Kalita Wave kettle for $62 shipped. This is a hell of a deal if you're looking for a really great/high end pouring kettle. I have had one for almost a year now and it's probably my most used kettle (even more than the Takahiro).

Captain_Person posted:

dik-dik pointed you to my cold brew method, which I like because it is cheap and pretty darn good. One note, if you are doing the 1:8 in a two-quart jar, you can actually get 200g beans and 1600mL water in, instead of the 100/800 that I recommend there. I'll update the post to reflect that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Anyone with experince with Ponte Vecchio Lusso's in here? Thinking of getting one as the family collaboration gift this year (we all chip in on a big item for the house).

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Loomer posted:

Anyone with experince with Ponte Vecchio Lusso's in here? Thinking of getting one as the family collaboration gift this year (we all chip in on a big item for the house).

Nope, but it looks money as hell. What price are you looking at?

Gets good reviews here: http://www.home-barista.com/ponte-vecchio-lusso-review-conclusion.html

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Still shopping around, but probably ~1100AUD if we go new for the 1 group and buy from the Italians - ~100~150 more if the aussie importer restocks in time, but we might pay that for relative ease of service if something goes wrong. The real question is 1 or 2 group, depending on how much benchspace we can sacrifice. Its not too bad a price for what it is, but the build quality complaints give me a bit of pause.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I was considering buying a second hand Lusso as a light use backup machine at one point. All the machines I found had build quality issues like poorly bent wands and crooked electronics and gauges. Orphan Espresso was going to carry the PV machines until they imported a few and had to put so much work into fixing the build quality problems they didn't actually turn a profit.

Do keep in mind the Lusso is quite capable of pulling amazing ristretto shots and banging out a few caps; for a family of several people making flat whites throughout the day, the slow throughput and process of depressurizing and filling the boiler will get quite tedious. You would probably be better served by getting a solid inexpensive HX pump machine. What are you doing for a grinder?

Don't bother asking this question on Coffee Snobs unless you want to get reamed for not buying from one of the approved :australia: :australia: Australian :australia: :australia: site sponsor vendors.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
We've got our eye on a second hand Baratza Vario.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm looking to cut down on the amount of tassimo discs i'm throwing out and get back into making more coffee at home. Do http://www.my-cap.com/tassimo.html these kind of reusable discs really work? Suggestions for the best way to prepare coffee for these things?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Prepare it by buying a pourover cone and filters and using those instead. If it's anything like the re-usable ones for the Keurig they don't hold enough coffee to get the ratio of coffee grounds to water right. I owned one of the Tassimo ones years ago when I got it for free by doing some survey. I used it maybe 5 or 6 times and then got rid of it when I bought a grinder and a french press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I ordered a breville dual boiler yesterday, pretty psyched. I imagine it will work well with my Vario.
Anyone want to recommend any accessories like solid espresso/cappucino cups, knockbox, portafilter, or tamp? Supposedly the PF/tamp that come with the BDB are pretty good though.