Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Looper posted:

who says this

chie. everyone says you're missing out if you're not using kanji, and that goes double for chie.

she also has the best follow-up attack quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Aerox posted:

What kind of party is everyone using? I just finished the first dungeon and got access to the P3 characters and am kind of overwhelmed -- it's been a long time since I played an E.O. game so I don't remember what exactly is important in building a party.

I'm trying to make a diverse group of attacks/elements, so for right now I'm running Yu/Koromaru/Chie in front and Zen & Rei/Yukari in the back. Does Zen hold his own down the line, since he doesn't have a sub-persona, or does he end up falling behind all the rest of the characters?

I just finished the first dungeon using P4MC/Chie/Kanji up front and Naoto/Yukiko in back. Don't know what I want to do with the P3 crew yet though... I haven't even touched Rei/Zen because "no sub-personas" sounds completely awful.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

KingEffingFrost posted:

I just finished the first dungeon using P4MC/Chie/Kanji up front and Naoto/Yukiko in back. Don't know what I want to do with the P3 crew yet though... I haven't even touched Rei/Zen because "no sub-personas" sounds completely awful.

they've got high base hp and sp to compensate, and rei's first skill is passive sp regen when walking.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm rolling Minato/Yu/Aki in front, Yukari/Zen & Rei in back. Minato is super mage-y which surprised me and Yu is kind of disappointing, he's too much of a generalist.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I've been walking around Group Date Cafe lvl 3 for the last two to three hours and have finally found where to go. On the plus side I'm rich as gently caress now.

Edit: Rolling with
P4MC-Mitsuru
Zen/Rei-Aegis-Yukiko

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

chie. everyone says you're missing out if you're not using kanji, and that goes double for chie.

perfect

I wanna go Chie/Kanji/Kuromaru/Minato/Naoto or Yosuke, is that viable?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

No, there are ones the lovely dolls a bit after that which like to pop up from the ground.

oh i'm sure it's not that scAAAAAAAAAA

jesus loving christ atlus.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Looper posted:

perfect

Should be. Naoto makes the first labyrinth incredibly easy, and she's fast enough to become a good healer later on. She also makes a really good Circle user since her Luck is high. Yosuke isn't going to be as good in the back since he's not as good a mage, but both he and Koromaru should work out OK in the back row if you concentrate on magic or long-range attack skills for them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Are there any catchup mechanics later in the game to help bring party members up to speed? Since it's a Persona game, I want to swap a bit but it feels like I should just stick with my preferred cast for the entire game and just carry the underleveled idiots for the odd quest here and there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KingEffingFrost posted:

This is my party exactly. I'm surprised by how much mileage I'm getting out of Hama/Mudo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rascyc posted:

Are there any catchup mechanics later in the game to help bring party members up to speed? Since it's a Persona game, I want to swap a bit but it feels like I should just stick with my preferred cast for the entire game and just carry the underleveled idiots for the odd quest here and there.

Not that I've seen, and I just finished the 3rd Labyrinth. There are accessories you can equip which give passive XP gain to reserve characters, but that and grinding FOEs is about it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm hoping there's a juicy foe grind spot then, I wouldn't mind that. Lord knows I did it a lot in EO4 to mess with mechanics.

I think only the slow animations is what's putting me off for now, maybe I'll just kick back and play it casually for once.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well, the first boss sure was disappointing, the painter soldiers were way more dangerous than she was. Also the cutscene before the fight was funny considering the mini soldiers all died to double casts of ma-anything while also being weak to it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Einwand posted:

Well, the first boss sure was disappointing, the painter soldiers were way more dangerous than she was. Also the cutscene before the fight was funny considering the mini soldiers all died to double casts of ma-anything while also being weak to it.

Yeah, I managed to beat her on the first try, but just barely.

I blew a ton of SP on mabufu and maagi in the cutscene fight and was totally out for the final 25% of the bosses' HP. Yukiko took her out with an auto attack with only her and Zen left alive.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So does everyone get this (end of the 2nd dungeon spoiler) scene or does it change based on the options you pick?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Einwand posted:

Just iced her too. She wasn't dangerous, but I had too much magic damage/support and not enough physical attackers to drop her quickly. It turned into a loooong fight (on Hard). Next time I do a boss (or the FOEs, I guess) I'll probably load up on physical damage, magic users run out of SP too quickly to be useful for long fights. Assuming they can't perma-Boost for free damage.

I liked Aigis' monkeybear reference after seeing Teddy for the first time. And the loving JoJo poses, oh my god. Picking P3MC was extremely clutch.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Roguelike posted:

So does everyone get this (end of the 2nd dungeon spoiler) scene or does it change based on the options you pick?

it's based on the questions. the first two divide everyone into four groups, and each of the later questions corresponds to a specific character in the group that you picked. answer a character's question correctly and you can get their scene at the end. the last two (?) questions don't correspond to anyone in particular and are probably just tie-breakers.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Picked the P4 route, now using Yu/Aigis/Minato/Yukari/Reizen. If I could replace Yu I would, his stats just aren't very good. Thinking about replacing Minato with Kanji or Chie for another good physical attack user, but Minato has such good stats...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So far I'm rolling with
Yu - Yosuke - Akihiko
Naoto - Yukiko

I'm probably screwing up badly, but I like these characters so I'm using them.

Yukiko laughing at the table shadows was pretty funny.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Does the game allows you to try every one out, or must you commit to a select team of 5? I only played the first EO, and messing up my party's setup and having to retrain them slowly was miserable.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

Does the game allows you to try every one out, or must you commit to a select team of 5? I only played the first EO, and messing up my party's setup and having to retrain them slowly was miserable.

i'd recommend committing to a single team, most of your skills come from sub-personas and as long as you keep your party pretty balanced with physical and magic builds and don't take a bunch of characters who are weak to the same element, you should be fine.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

You can't really gently caress up any character anyway. Everyone levels like in Persona, and all their primary skills/stats are out of your hands. There aren't anything like skill points for you to distribute.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Switched up my team to P4MC/Koromaru in front, Mitsuru, Yukari, and Yukiko in back loaded for bear with magic attacks. Wiped on the very first battle of the 2nd Labyrinth. Atlus games!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress Burning Beetle and any enemy that has two or more attacks. I didn't want to power game, but I'm going to farm every golden hand to crush all you dirty shadows. :black101:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I've been working so much that I'm still making my way through the first labyrinth, but P4MC/Kanji in the front and Yukiko/Zen/Naoto in the back blazes through everything but the stupid Burning Beetles. I am so sick of seeing those things!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been gaming too hard lately, so I'm only just hitting the fourth floor now. Using P3MC/Shinjiro/Koromaru in the front and Yukari/Zen+Rei in the back. Been working out so far. Really digging the cast bouncing off each other. P3 would have been perfect if they had this level of chemistry in it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Oh, about the Card Soldier FOE's in the first labyrinth. I actually think they're "weak" to ailments. I managed to keep one panicked for the entire fight against it. I also learned that Link skills can trigger off an opponent hitting themselves, which is awesome.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

i'd recommend committing to a single team, most of your skills come from sub-personas and as long as you keep your party pretty balanced with physical and magic builds and don't take a bunch of characters who are weak to the same element, you should be fine.

Which figures. I burned out on EO3 having* to level one of every class, but now I actually want to level everyone and its not necessary? THANKS ATLAS

*I know you don't really need to do this, but that's how they present it to you and I was playing blind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's Yukari that says that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, thanks to Ultimax and this game it has shown me that Yukari and Junpei are the best of bros.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's Yukari that says that.

the best follow-up quote or cupid more like stupid? i'm positive that chie says the latter, because i've never used yukari outside of the battle with the card soldiers right before the first boss where you have to use her.

or you were making a reference to stupei ace defective that went over my head

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have Yukari in my party and it sounds a lot like her saying it is what I'm saying, although I also have Chie in my team so perhaps I'm mishearing things.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
A lot of the in-battle dialogue is muffled so I wouldn't be surprised if you mixed up voices like that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So is there a way to get my party to shut the hell up? I finished the first labyrinth and I don't know if I can take it if I'm going to constantly get spammed with 'I'm low on sp' 'hey did you notice the GIANT SPINNING CLOCK THAT MARKS A SECRET PASSAGE THAT WE HAD A LENGTHY TUTORIAL ON ALREADY' 'hey there is an event up ahead, on the square that we just left, and triggered the event on'

It's intrusive enough that it's making me really dislike playing. I know how to navigate a goddamn dungeon.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Just got the cupid line, it's Chie. Does sound kind of like Yukari, though.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

neongrey posted:

So is there a way to get my party to shut the hell up? I finished the first labyrinth and I don't know if I can take it if I'm going to constantly get spammed with 'I'm low on sp' 'hey did you notice the GIANT SPINNING CLOCK THAT MARKS A SECRET PASSAGE THAT WE HAD A LENGTHY TUTORIAL ON ALREADY' 'hey there is an event up ahead, on the square that we just left, and triggered the event on'

It's intrusive enough that it's making me really dislike playing. I know how to navigate a goddamn dungeon.

Yes, the solution is to slide that little volume control on the side of the 3DS :)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Worldwide Panther posted:

Yes, the solution is to slide that little volume control on the side of the 3DS :)

or look at the config menu.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr. Fetus posted:

Burning Beetles are the worst. :argh:

A carry over from the Persona games that still seems applicable here: a lot of strong physical enemies are susceptible to panic. Hitting the Beetles with Pulinpa or Tentarafoo takes a lot of the sting out of them. Also works on the lions, etc.

Similarly, strong magic enemies can often be silenced -- Kanji's Skull Cracker is great for this.

Looper posted:

perfect

Because of the sub-Personas, I think any team is viable, really. You can always get whatever skills you need on someone. I'm running both Kanji and Chie right now which I'm sure is sub-optimal but I like their dialogue too much to not have them around. Although I'm not playing on Risky or anything crazy like that, maybe you have to be a little more discriminating at the high difficulties.

I'm enjoying this game a lot so far, although having the battle music stuck in my head for three days now is slowly breaking me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Worldwide Panther posted:

Inflammatory posted:

or look at the config menu.

Even with the volume off you're still getting barraged with messages that I want to go away. The config menu just seems to have voice volume control, not 'shut up, I know you're short on SP, that's why you've got a sub with enough to cast all the spells you need'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

neongrey posted:

Even with the volume off you're still getting barraged with messages that I want to go away. The config menu just seems to have voice volume control, not 'shut up, I know you're short on SP, that's why you've got a sub with enough to cast all the spells you need'.

We're saying :dealwithit:
If cute, repetitive voice clips aren't your thing, Persona might not be your thing :)

• Locked thread