Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chichevache posted:

Help me find funny movie on Netflix or Amazon. I really want Young Frankenstein, but no one has that.

Top Secret!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hot Rod

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely watch P.T. Anderson's The Master. Really great performances all around, especially by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The ending of Walker is so gonzo. What an insane film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Glad I tricked a few more people into watching Walker. How about that Marlee Maitlin, huh?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Just watched Hours with Paul Walker, and while it wasn't a masterpiece, I thought it was a great movie and Walker really turns in one of his best, most emotional, and unfortunately last performances. In it he plays a newly widowered father that has to keep his baby alive by manually cranking a battery connected to the baby's ventilator in an abandoned hospital after Hurricane Katrina.

A nail-biting thriller with an appropriately emotional core.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

For a gold old timey laugh, fire up Duck soup by the Marx brothers.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

K. Waste posted:

Jackass Number Two has the distinction of not only being wall-to-wall good pranks but also being a really great document of white youth masculine culture after the turn of the century. Eschewing the scatalogical gags misses the point entirely, in the same way that it's indispensable to Chaucer's accurate representation of the vulgarity of the revellers who go to kill Death.

Jackass in general perfectly encapsulates the intersection of so many contemporary issues of gender: bullying, sexual humiliation and rape culture, straight men toeing the line between homoeroticism and homophobia, self-harm as an expression of camaraderie and leadership, etc. Furthermore, it does so in a way that is unpretentious and allows you to package social realities in a way that they become funny. Like, in the first movie the entire toy car gag is predicated on us finding humor in the idea of this guy being raped in a frat house and the doctor telling him to NOT report it. Add this to the fact that the guys clearly take pleasure in engaging in homoeroticism to scare away homophobes, and you've got a Molotov cocktail of one of the most frank and honest American films of the new millennium.

Also, for the love of God, watch Monkey Shines before they take it down.

You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters, K. Waste. Thanks for elucidating what I've been trying to tell people about the Jackass series for years, but have never been able to phrase quite like you did. Especially the Chaucer connection, holy poo poo.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I've never seen Jackass 2, but if the only thing it has in common with The Canterbury Tales is fart jokes then I'm not sure the comparison is warranted.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I hate to say it but I am really enjoying The New Girl. If you hate Zooey Deschanel doing her manic pixie dream girl shtick the show probably won't change your mind but I'd say give it a chance because the writing and jokes are pretty solid.

Can anyone recommend some true crime documentaries? I ended up marathoning the HBO documentary series Autopsy yesterday and I found it so fascinating and want to find more stuff like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I've never seen Jackass 2, but if the only thing it has in common with The Canterbury Tales is fart jokes then I'm not sure the comparison is warranted.

a guy also gets branded on the rear end in both.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bartok posted:

I hate to say it but I am really enjoying The New Girl. If you hate Zooey Deschanel doing her manic pixie dream girl shtick the show probably won't change your mind but I'd say give it a chance because the writing and jokes are pretty solid.

For the first few episodes the emphasis is mostly on her (which I didn't mind but some will), but what happens is they figure out ways to make the guys in her apartment equally weird and amusing. It takes a while for some (notably Lamorne Morris' character Winston, though he always gives it his all) but the ensemble really carries it. Deschanel carries her weight but it's a team effort.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a guy also gets branded on the rear end in both.

Then I concede this round to K Waste.

I finally got around to The Serpent and the Rainbow last night. It's a pretty fun 80s horror movie directed by Wes Craven, I'd recommend checking it out before it disappears on Monday.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I think New Girl might be the funniest TV show I've seen in years. Brilliant character-based absurdist humour. It's so well written that they even managed to get a Wayans to be funny.

Comedy is subjective, so I'm sure there are plenty of people that hate it passionately, but it's given me a lot of proper belly laughs.

bartok
May 10, 2006

outy posted:

I think New Girl might be the funniest TV show I've seen in years. Brilliant character-based absurdist humour. It's so well written that they even managed to get a Wayans to be funny.

Comedy is subjective, so I'm sure there are plenty of people that hate it passionately, but it's given me a lot of proper belly laughs.

I won't have you disparage Damon Wayans Jr. He was hilarious on Happy Endings and Let's Be Cops was better than it should have been. Also Wayans were funny once upon a time. I Going To Git You Sucka and the seasons of In Loving Color before Keenen Ivory Wayans left were hilarious.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

outy posted:

Damon Wayans Jr. was fantastic in Happy Ending too. There was a reason New Girl immediately picked him back up.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just watched Bernie thanks to this thread. Pretty entertaining, but there's not really that much plot. Mostly just great for the opportunity to gawk at this small town and enjoy another excellent Matthew McConaughey performance.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

dik-dik posted:

Just watched Bernie thanks to this thread. Pretty entertaining, but there's not really that much plot. Mostly just great for the opportunity to gawk at this small town and enjoy another excellent Matthew McConaughey performance.

Yep, did the same about a week ago: was a good watch for an otherwise dull evening I suppose, so I'm glad I watched it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You guys should check out "knuckle" is a documentary about gypsie bare knuckle boxers

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Watch Walker before it's taken off.
Yeah this movie was pretty great, thanks for mentioning it.

speshl guy posted:

Just watched Hours with Paul Walker, and while it wasn't a masterpiece, I thought it was a great movie and Walker really turns in one of his best, most emotional, and unfortunately last performances. In it he plays a newly widowered father that has to keep his baby alive by manually cranking a battery connected to the baby's ventilator in an abandoned hospital after Hurricane Katrina.

A nail-biting thriller with an appropriately emotional core.
This reminds me that I saw another Paul Walker movie on redbox the other day and I was kind of shocked. It's District B-13!

Brick Mansions posted:

In a dystopian Detroit, abandoned brick mansions left from better times now house only the most dangerous criminals. Unable to control the crime, the police constructed a colossal containment wall around this area to protect the rest of the city. Undercover cop Damien Collier is determined to bring his father's killer Tremaine to justice, and every day is a battle against corruption. For ex-convict Lino, every day is a fight to live an honest life. Their paths should never have crossed, but when Tremaine kidnaps Lino's girlfriend, Damien reluctantly accepts the help of the fearless ex-con, and they work together to stop a sinister plot to devastate the entire city.
At first I was like :haw: there's even a parkour guy named LeitoLino, then I saw the movie poster and oops, it's David Belle. Apparently there's only one movie plot which that guy is allowed to act..?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

coyo7e posted:

This reminds me that I saw another Paul Walker movie on redbox the other day and I was kind of shocked. It's District B-13!
At first I was like :haw: there's even a parkour guy named LeitoLino, then I saw the movie poster and oops, it's David Belle. Apparently there's only one movie plot which that guy is allowed to act..?

Unfortunately it's the most hackneyed remake of B13 you could expect. RZA in particular gives a really terrible performance that manages to suggest absolutely nothing about his character other than him being a badman.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, Brick Mansions is a remake of District B-13, though if I remember correctly it's done by the same people.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

coyo7e posted:

Never mind...

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 29, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, Brick Mansions is a remake of District B-13, though if I remember correctly it's done by the same people.

It's produced by Besson and his company and Belle is in it, but that's it. Otherwise it's an uninspired copy of the original where all the minute changes are for the worse. And the acting is really, really bad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
New Girl is great until about 4 episodes from the end of the latest season that is on Netflix. They drop the ball pretty hard, in my opinion.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

bartok posted:

I won't have you disparage Damon Wayans Jr. He was hilarious on Happy Endings and Let's Be Cops was better than it should have been. Also Wayans were funny once upon a time. I Going To Git You Sucka and the seasons of In Loving Color before Keenen Ivory Wayans left were hilarious.

Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In The Hood is on Amazon if not Netflix, for relevance's sake. Everyone should watch it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Sabotage wasn't a good film but it's highly entertaining. Olivia Williams was on some next-level poo poo and Arnold does good work. This is the second film I've liked Worthington in, the other being The Debt. He displays a wounded goodness that works with these characters. I don't know why they didn't cast Cirian Hinds as the older Martin Csokas tho.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sam Worthington as White Power Fred Durst was an interesting choice, to say the least.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Recommending The One I Love. It’s something like a contemporary version of The Stepford Wives that nearly fumbles the ball but totally wins over in the end.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
So I'm about 20 minutes in to Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and it's not bad so far, but that scene in the brothel with the excessive strobe lights needed an epilepsy warning in front of it. I'm not epileptic but couldn't that poo poo happening out of the blue for so long do some damage?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

New Girl is great until about 4 episodes from the end of the latest season that is on Netflix. They drop the ball pretty hard, in my opinion.

The third season really goes off the rails once they can't figure out what to do with Jess's and Nick's relationship and Winston in general. The current fourth season though sorta reboots everything and the show is very much back on track.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mash posted:

So I'm about 20 minutes in to Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and it's not bad so far, but that scene in the brothel with the excessive strobe lights needed an epilepsy warning in front of it. I'm not epileptic but couldn't that poo poo happening out of the blue for so long do some damage?
Don't worry - JCVD seemingly caught cancer to star in that role, so the damage to your eyes balances out the damage to his body.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
The Conformist went up on Netflix in the past few days. If you've never seen it, you should drop whatever it is you're doing and watch it. If you have seen it, that's still pretty solid advice.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I use to rip on my friend for watching New Girl, than one day he made me sit through an episode. It was the Prince house party one in season three and I was instantly hooked. Zooey can get annoying at times, but the show really is about the other guy roommates.

I watched Dredd over the holiday weekend for probably the fifth time now, still never gets old. It's the best action movie of the past decade and I can never stress how everyone needs to see it. One day in the life of Dredd, just a quick drug bust and back home before the sun goes down.

I also finished Lilyhammer season 3 and can't stress how much anyone who remotely likes the show should avoid it. I liked seasons 1 and 2, they were fun even if they were a bit stupid at times. Season 3 is a jumbled mess of what feels like writers trying to cram fifty different stories into 8 episodes. It is confusing and boring at the same time. If you liked the first two season, do yourself a favor and do not watch the new one.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A River Runs Through It is a great movie about some guys fishing in 1920s Montana. Featuring early Brad Pitt, and VERY early JGL.

I should mention that it is on Netflix streaming.

Pycckuu fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 30, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I finally got around to watching Red Cliff on Netflix.

Pretty fun to watch overall. Just a buncha generals being bros and a shitload of good costume / set work. Overall the entire thing is completely predictable and the characters are 1 dimensional but I don't think the story was ever striving for character development. Worth a watch if you want to see some beautiful landscapes and nice costume / period stuff.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

The third season really goes off the rails once they can't figure out what to do with Jess's and Nick's relationship and Winston in general. The current fourth season though sorta reboots everything and the show is very much back on track.

I agree re: third season. The first two seasons successfully marginalized Jess and made the show about Nick and Schmidt's bromance. The third season threw that all away and it was terrible.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

That Works posted:

I finally got around to watching Red Cliff on Netflix.

Pretty fun to watch overall. Just a buncha generals being bros and a shitload of good costume / set work. Overall the entire thing is completely predictable and the characters are 1 dimensional but I don't think the story was ever striving for character development. Worth a watch if you want to see some beautiful landscapes and nice costume / period stuff.

The 5 hour International cut is better and fleshes out everything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

James Woods Fan posted:

The 5 hour International cut is better and fleshes out everything.

Thanks I wasn't aware. This online anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Khorne Flakes posted:

I also finished Lilyhammer season 3 and can't stress how much anyone who remotely likes the show should avoid it.

I'm about half way through and really struggling to continue. shame.

• Locked thread