Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

AGirlWonder posted:

Edit: Huh, I wonder when that avatar happened. Is that the new default?

From understanding - yes. Lowtax was saying something about changing the newbie one.

Personally I'm more excited for more Jurassic Park than more Star Wars. I really am hoping for a final cameo/twist maybe in an after credits sequence where one of the main characters from the original comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Speaking of violence in Jurassic Park, I was watching Lost World after the original last night. And I thought to myself how cool the opening scene is. You just had this film about these two children surviving dinosaurs, and it seems super ballsy to start a movie with a child being killed. Create the illusion that maybe the characters you think are dino-proof in this film might actually be in danger. Then Hammond makes it clear she didn't die, and that seems pretty lame.

And then the first person to die onscreen in the movie is the nicest, most helpful, altruistic character, who gets the most gruesome death in the series.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Speaking of violence in Jurassic Park, I was watching Lost World after the original last night. And I thought to myself how cool the opening scene is. You just had this film about these two children surviving dinosaurs, and it seems super ballsy to start a movie with a child being killed. Create the illusion that maybe the characters you think are dino-proof in this film might actually be in danger. Then Hammond makes it clear she didn't die, and that seems pretty lame.

I believe that Hammond says, "Oh she's fine, she's fine..." and handwaves the issue. Because of that I always took it that she did in fact die, and he's not mentioning it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Wasn't there a dinosaur in The Lost World book that could go invisible because it had chameleon DNA mix in or something? I think I remember that and a female T-Rex spraying musk on the hood of the group's jeep. And the giant cage ball thing the kid gets trapped in.

Edit: Ah, yep. http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Carnotaurus

Violator fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 29, 2014

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
If they go back to the old park, maybe we'll Finally get an explanation for that out of nowhere cliff in the TRex paddock.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I want to know how exactly that tank for the mosasarus exhibit works. I thought it was going to be that they have it living out in a cove, but then again you probably don't want to give it a chance to escape into the wild. Maybe they just found a really deep sinkhole and filled it with water.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

I want to know how exactly that tank for the mosasarus exhibit works. I thought it was going to be that they have it living out in a cove, but then again you probably don't want to give it a chance to escape into the wild. Maybe they just found a really deep sinkhole and filled it with water.

I'm guessing that it is a cove, and they've dammed up the access to the ocean so it can't get out. At some point in the movie the dam's gonna open... :getin:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I'm guessing that it is a cove, and they've dammed up the access to the ocean so it can't get out. At some point in the movie the dam's gonna open... :getin:
No judging by the map its a man made thing in the island

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-map/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This movie needs Lou Gosset Jr. running the place.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darko posted:

This movie needs Lou Gosset Jr. running the place.
Ray Arnold Jr. who is actually just Sam Jackson again

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

No judging by the map its a man made thing in the island

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-map/

Dammit, I saw the park map and then promptly forgot that the Mosasaur's area was landlocked. How's it gonna get to the ocean now? :saddowns:

EDIT: Jurassic World 2: Free Lio

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 29, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Antti posted:

This ("Jurassic Park? We have no idea what you are talking about, John Hammond invented dinosaurs and here we are!") and the mysterious walled off northern part of the island are certainly heavily pointing towards a sequence where they venture into the ruins of the old park.
That's pretty likely considering so few people were involved with/survived JP1. You could have Ian Malcolm as the TV crack warning everyone how stupid opening a full-fledged theme park is.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's pretty likely considering so few people were involved with/survived JP1. You could have Ian Malcolm as the TV crack warning everyone how stupid opening a full-fledged theme park is.

How did they cover up the renegade T-Rex in San Diego?

...according to the wiki, they didn't. Huh. You'd think there'd be a bigger shitshow after something like that.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

FlamingLiberal posted:

Something I noticed for the first time when re-watching The Lost World was that apparently InGen made an effort to discredit Ian Malcom and make him out to be a crazy person. The T-Rex rampaging through San Diego probably remains in the public consciousness though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

True, but the general public wouldn't know that there was a Jurassic Park. So to them the rampaging Jurassic Park was just an InGen screw up from a lab or something, who knows. But only Grant, Sadler, and Malcolm would know they tried to make a theme park before.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
There was a giant amphitheater in San Diego with a 'Jurassic Park' logo. Also, I assume that people inquired as to why there was a T-Rex rampaging through San Diego and connected the dots with both that and what Malcom said after the first incident.

edit: They also said they could open the park in a month so I presume that they were planning on opening soon and advertised their business.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hammond goes on CNN at the end of TLW and says theres an island of dinosaurs

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
In Jurassic Park III the island is in control of the United Nations and people constantly bug Sam Neil at lectures by asking questions about Jurassic Park. That last part must happen in real life too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think they were talking about Isla Sorna.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Ray Arnold Jr. who is actually just Sam Jackson again
Jackson said in an interview a while ago that he doesn't think Arnold is dead since you only saw his arm. He likes to think Arnold made it and figured out how to tame and ride the dinosaurs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Antti posted:

This ("Jurassic Park? We have no idea what you are talking about, John Hammond invented dinosaurs and here we are!") and the mysterious walled off northern part of the island are certainly heavily pointing towards a sequence where they venture into the ruins of the old park.

Unfortunately, as cool as that would be I don't think it'll be the case. Most of the maps available of the old park show that everything in the new facility was built right on top of the old, and there doesn't seem to be anything of note in the northern fenced-off area. You never know, though, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll find Nedry's Jeep.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
On the Masrani webpage it mentions that Henry Wu is alive and famous for writing about his goof of including frog DNA in the dinosaurs and how it can be used to create new species. He is possibly the only returning character from the first film and clearly hasn't learned from his mistakes because he repeating it again by making a super intelligent killer dinosaur.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So this movie is a thinly veiled "GMOs are bad" story, right?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

So this movie is a thinly veiled "GMOs are bad" story, right?

Nah, the message is that craving branded merchandise (action figures, hats, t-shirts etc) will eat you alive.

They're not making toys of the dinosaurs, they're making dinosaurs patterned after toys. It's basically a zoo filled with killer brands.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Don't keep Coke and Pepsi in the same paddock, they will fight each other.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Seeing the toys of Jurassic World reminds me of that freaky toyline which had a chunk of flesh torn from the dinosaur exposing bone and muscle and pressing the rib would make the dinosaur roar in fits of rage. Couldn't find any trace of Lost World figures which featured it but JP3 certainly did.

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 29, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Lost World stegosaurus definitely had battle damage, which I think was a back plate that would come off :(

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Dino Damage was so cool. :allears:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

oddium posted:

The Lost World stegosaurus definitely had battle damage, which I think was a back plate that would come off :(

There was a Lost World playset that featured a medical lab and an Allosaurus with dino damage

Nasty yet kinda cool.

But my favorite JP toy is the big T-Rex that could eat things and you could get them out through a slit in the belly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember being excited for the Jurassic Park Lost World game, and then finally playing it and realizing that you had to play through a bunch of lovely missions to get to the fun stuff, like playing as the T-Rex. That being said, I really enjoyed the Human Prey missions.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I remember being excited for the Jurassic Park Lost World game, and then finally playing it and realizing that you had to play through a bunch of lovely missions to get to the fun stuff, like playing as the T-Rex. That being said, I really enjoyed the Human Prey missions.

The Lost World game for the playstation was a bunch of pretty cool elements in a kind of lovely game. The animations had a lot of character and detail. The sound design and the music was really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4PM-4cRTx0

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

Something I noticed for the first time when re-watching The Lost World was that apparently InGen made an effort to discredit Ian Malcom and make him out to be a crazy person. The T-Rex rampaging through San Diego probably remains in the public consciousness though.

I hope if the film has an after-credits scene it's just Ian Malcom watching the news reports of the incident and just going " I said this would happen, didn't I? :ughh:"

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So I saw the trailer and it seems they've created an super intelligent dinosaur. Wasn't this the plot of Deep Blue Sea?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Haha a dinosaur park with real dinosaurs losing attendance...hahahahahahaha

The fact that they created a hybrid dinosaur is more realistic than that statement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gamesguy posted:

They've clearly taken their cues from the best Jurassic Park game ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHjPIAMfM4

I think you meant to post Dino Crisis 1 and 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Clevermuldoon posted:

The Lost World game for the playstation was a bunch of pretty cool elements in a kind of lovely game. The animations had a lot of character and detail. The sound design and the music was really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4PM-4cRTx0

It's funny you mention the music, since Michael Giacchino is scoring the film -- and he composed the score for the Lost World video game way back when.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I am fairly certain the engineered dino reveal is that it has chameleon like abilities. The big bad in the second book was a dinosaur that had chameleon genes and was basically invisible if it didn't move (get it?) And I always wondered why that has never made it into one of the films as it seems such an obvious direction to go.

Diabolus Rex supposedly has T. Rex, velociraptor, snake, and cuttlefish DNA. Cuttlefish can change the color of their skin to match their environments.

This film is an opportunity to explore an idea in the original novel. Wu viewed the animals as artificial lifeforms that were barely representative of the originals, and he approached Hammond about creating designer dinosaurs, but Hammond was deluding himself that the park was historically accurate and didn't want to compromise that vision.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hollismason posted:

Haha a dinosaur park with real dinosaurs losing attendance...hahahahahahaha

The fact that they created a hybrid dinosaur is more realistic than that statement.

Well you have to wonder at what point does the novelty wear off? And after a while it may get to the point where there are kids who've never known a time before genetically-engineered dinosaurs. To those kids, dinosaurs wouldn't be this awesome thing they'll only get to read about in books, they'll just be giant birds and lizards that died a long long time ago but exist again on an island. It'd be roughly as exciting as going to a zoo.

But I guess plenty of kids go apeshit just getting to go to the zoo, so whatever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

They don't have to have shrinking attendance figures, just ones that're not growing as fast as they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, pretty much. It's not exactly a stretch to think that a corporation would be displeased with only making the same ridiculous amount of money instead of making an even more ridiculous amount of money.

• Locked thread