Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

I haven't used my nexus 7 in awhile, but isn't that default chrome behavior for touch?

on Android, yes. Works quite well, too.

It just started happening on Windows.

That said, it doesn't work well or at all in windows. It zooms in but won't register the touch you try to do after it's zoomed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

I haven't used my nexus 7 in awhile, but isn't that default chrome behavior for touch?

No, it was introduced in the new version a few days ago and the canary build at the end of October. That's the default behavior on the Android build and was just ported over without proper testing.

fleshweasel posted:

Looks like it's time to upgrade to Safari, the browser built for OS X. And time to upgrade to no ads.
How is Safari on Win 8.1 touch devices, and what advantages does it have other other browsers? I know it has its own way of font rendering that was supposed to be good.

I've been using old IE in the meantime. It works.

e: Response from Google:

quote:

Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update that we are aware and have been working on this issue through the weekend. I will let you know as soon as we have an update.

Thank you,
Sarah

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 24, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So SP3 users, is the kick stand getting looser over time or is it just my imagination?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

No, it was introduced in the new version a few days ago and the canary build at the end of October. That's the default behavior on the Android build and was just ported over without proper testing.

How is Safari on Win 8.1 touch devices, and what advantages does it have other other browsers? I know it has its own way of font rendering that was supposed to be good.

I've been using old IE in the meantime. It works.

e: Response from Google:

Oops I clearly posted this without even realizing what thread I was in.

Don't use safari on windows. They stopped updating it. Isn't IE supposed to be the best touch browser for windows anyway?

brap fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 25, 2014

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

Subyng posted:

So SP3 users, is the kick stand getting looser over time or is it just my imagination?

I have had mine since launch and it feels the same as when I got it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Subyng posted:

Lenovo appears to have out-gimmicked your hinge, surface dudes. Too bad about the price, the CPU and especially the keyboard, though.

fleshweasel posted:

Isn't IE supposed to be the best touch browser for windows anyway?

Yup, though Chrome is pretty much the only competitor making an effort. Hopefully they'll keep on this track and port over the best stuff from android (maybe test it once or twice before release?) and give up on that dumbfuck window manager thing they had going. Firefox squandered a lot of effort on a Metro browser that went nowhere and was abandoned. Last time I tried the new Opera it wasn't even capable of importing bookmarks, so gently caress if I'm going to bother.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Clark Nova posted:

Lenovo appears to have out-gimmicked your hinge, surface dudes. Too bad about the price, the CPU and especially the keyboard, though.

Having the keyboard facing outwards on the underside of the tablet while you're holding it just rubs me the wrong way. At least with the SP3 I can reverse the keyboard or detach it entirely.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can we post any awesome Black Friday deals we find here? I'm thinking of going to the Windows store to see what's going down, and of course Amazon etc. Hoping for a really good deal on maybe an Asus T100/T200.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Can we post any awesome Black Friday deals we find here? I'm thinking of going to the Windows store to see what's going down, and of course Amazon etc. Hoping for a really good deal on maybe an Asus T100/T200.

I would love to hear about any good deals

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

wookieepelt posted:

I would love to hear about any good deals

Good idea!!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

doomtuba posted:

I have had mine since launch and it feels the same as when I got it.

Same. And I travel with mine every week. If you have an MS store near you Subyng take it in and have them look.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The stupid zoom thing has been removed in the new version of Chrome! Go to the Menu>About Google Chrome to force the update.

IE is better in every way but I can't get myself to break the habit of Chrome. I'm dumb.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Subyng posted:

My kick-stand is OK, but I'm not using it every day. Yeah, take it into the store and have it checked, maybe it's under warranty.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A month or so after its release, how do people like the T200? I was looking at the T100 to replace my laptop before the T200 dropped, and I like that there's a more powerful version of what I was originally going to buy now because who knows if/when I'll build the Dream Gaming Desktoptm I keep telling myself I'll put together. I also have enough Amazon points and other gift cards stocked up where I could pick up th $500 model for under $300, and I have a spare Office '13 key so it not coming pre-installed on that model is no big deal. But is it a good laptop replacement? I would be using it with the dock at least 90% of the time, but I've not tried to touch-only Windows experience so maybe I'll change my tune on that?

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Sorry if this has been asked but do any T100 owners use a case with just the tablet part? I don't always have mine connected to the keyboard and would like to protect the screen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

boydx posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but do any T100 owners use a case with just the tablet part? I don't always have mine connected to the keyboard and would like to protect the screen.

I have an IVSO smart cover style case. Works with the keyboard without much issue, and the angle it provides is the exact same as the max angle the dock provides, so it makes it more stable. I'd highly reccomend it.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

Protocol7 posted:

I have an IVSO smart cover style case. Works with the keyboard without much issue, and the angle it provides is the exact same as the max angle the dock provides, so it makes it more stable. I'd highly reccomend it.

Seems pretty low profile, might give it a shot thanks!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I have a weird issue with an external display hooked up by HDMI.
After I set up the monitor that the internal lcd is disabled and set the desktop to HDMI the Netflix app breaks.

I can browse the videos just fine but once it starts to play the external monitor rotates 90 degrees and that makes it really hard to do anything.
After I exit the display goes back to normal.

This doesn't happen if I set the dual display mode to extend but then the internal lcd is stuck with a static image.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

The hinge is slightly looser than when I got it, but then mine felt like I was going to break it if I pushed it back more than 30 degrees since it resisted so much.

Apart from the occasional "nope, your AC wifi is not connected to the internet" from sleep problem, has anyone come across a problem where the onscreen keyboard just goes nuts?
I've had it 3-4 times over the weeks, where its almost like a stuck ctrl/shift/whatever key, so typing results in a few characters and then opening charms bar, searches, etc. Tried to kill the keyboard processes, etc, but only thing to cure it is to reboot.
Weirdest part is that you can change to handwriting mode and that part still works....

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Anyone that's interested in the thinkpad tablet 10, or 8, they're on sale pretty cheap in the lenovo outlet store, for brand new ones until the 30th apparently. Like, $400 for the 10, and $200 for the 8 i believe.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Don't Lol me posted:

The hinge is slightly looser than when I got it, but then mine felt like I was going to break it if I pushed it back more than 30 degrees since it resisted so much.

Apart from the occasional "nope, your AC wifi is not connected to the internet" from sleep problem, has anyone come across a problem where the onscreen keyboard just goes nuts?
I've had it 3-4 times over the weeks, where its almost like a stuck ctrl/shift/whatever key, so typing results in a few characters and then opening charms bar, searches, etc. Tried to kill the keyboard processes, etc, but only thing to cure it is to reboot.
Weirdest part is that you can change to handwriting mode and that part still works....

That happens on my surface pro 1. My fix is just to press the ctrl key twice, or the alt key, our whichever modifier it was.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Don't Lol me posted:

I've had this, except that it was always acting as if I was holding down the Windows key. Near as I can tell, it was happening after I hit the button on the side of the screen, and it would always be unresponsive whenever I hit the button again while it's in this state. Haven't found a fix besides attaching the keyboard and hitting the Windows button that way to clear it (and this always happened when I didn't have the keyboard already attached, of course).

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Cheers, I'll try the alt thing first, I've just ordered the physical keyboard online since MS dropped the price a bit :)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Didn't see any good deals today. Went into the Windows store, and the Asus T100 was actually $44 more than Amazon, and they wouldn't price match. So balls to them.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I listen to podcasts and music a lot with a bluetooth speaker. My speaker has playback controls on it for play/pause and changing tracks, but when my tablet locks those stop working and I have to unlock it to make them work again. Is there a way to fix this?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I got an Asus T100 for $309 (now it's $360 on Amazon). When I've set it up and played with it I'll post thoughts. I guess. I mean not much else going on in here.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is windows 10 any better at managing scaling per monitor? In 8.1 if I have my SP3 in the docking station I have to set scaling to "smaller" and "set scaling the same for both monitors" to make the external monitor tolerable and it makes text on the surface really small. If I use any other setting one monitor is fine but the other is blurry.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Alan_Shore posted:

So I got an Asus T100 for $309 (now it's $360 on Amazon). When I've set it up and played with it I'll post thoughts. I guess. I mean not much else going on in here.

I didn't like my T100 very much, I sold it a while ago. It was an okay tablet, I just had more use for the laptop part and it's not too good at being one.

Perhaps my biggest complaint was the screen doesn't tilt back much farther than 45 degrees from the dock/keyboard, which makes it noticeably non-ergonomic compared to regular laptops in many situations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Poorly functioning DPI scaling is the worst thing about the SP3. Some programs support it but when they don't you're stuck with tiny rear end unreadable text. Is there a VNC viewer that can scale the outout nicely? I'm viewing my 1920*1080 desktop screen so resizing and scaling the text constantly isnt really an option. Also even though reviews said that the screen is good at cutting down on reflections, I still see myself reflected too often.

Anyway, I still find it useful. I'm not sure if I'm making great use of the digitizer yet for working purposes, but as a compact and light laptop it's nice. I just wish I could have had an i3 with 120 GB ssd and 6GB of RAM. I need to run Linux and a VM is plenty snappy even with the i3, but 4GB of RAM is really pushing it when Windows alone uses 1-2. I suppose I could dual boot but then that seems to miss half the point of having a digitizer and not poo poo office suite. I suppose it's easy enough to share files on the SD card though.

e: how ridiculous is it that the skype metro app is a piece of garbage, while the desktop app doesn't support dpi scaling, even in Windows 10? Jeeez.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 4, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Toshiba Encore for $50 tomorrow at Microsoft Store

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I've got a family member that needs a tablet for school that has a keyboard and USB port that doesn't cost too much. Is the ASUS T100 series still pretty much the best/only choice? I looked at that Acer but I didn't see a model with a 500GB dock

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WhyteRyce posted:

I've got a family member that needs a tablet for school that has a keyboard and USB port that doesn't cost too much. Is the ASUS T100 series still pretty much the best/only choice? I looked at that Acer but I didn't see a model with a 500GB dock

You may want to look into the T200. It has a full sized keyboard and they can add their own storage to the dock at a later date.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

My SP3 has developed the nasty habit of hanging on reboot and BSOD'ing (Driver Power State IIRC)

Anyone had this happen? I'll prob reinstall it on the Weekend anyway since it is loving annoying as gently caress.

Seem to be from the last firmware update I installed but can't 100% say that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Call Me Charlie posted:

You may want to look into the T200. It has a full sized keyboard and they can add their own storage to the dock at a later date.

I asked this a while ago, but how is the T200 as a laptop? I'm essentially looking for a new laptop but wanting something lighter and more portable has me going in the direction of a tablet & keyboard, I was looking at the T100 for a bit but then the T200 came along. As I said I'd be using it like a laptop at least 90% of the time, for Office, web browsing, music/video streaming and maybe some gaming with older (decade+) titles but that last one isn't a deal-breaker.

E: And does anyone know which stores have them in stock? I want to get my hands on one before buying it, I know it's a Best Buy "exclusive" but the one I went to today told me that no stores in a 30-mile radius have one. They had a T100 on display at least, how does that compare to the T200 aside from being 10" vs 11.6" for the screen?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 10, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the wireless on the 12 inch t200 transformer garbage? My wired connection to my desktop is 60mgbs. My ipad gets 10 in another room. My transformer gets 1.9 with full bars 1 ft from my router.

The exact model is T200TA-C1-BL if that helps
Is it a router permissions issue perhaps?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 10, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Anyone at all have a fix for the SP3 WiFi being slow as poo poo?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

One of the updates made my wi-fi as slow as poo poo, but I mashed the "fix connection" button in IE and that actually fixed it, which surprised me on several levels. :stare:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone at all have a fix for the SP3 WiFi being slow as poo poo?

I tried using 5ghz and it was way faster than 2.4. 2.4 was way slower than it should have been.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

is the wireless on the 12 inch t200 transformer garbage? My wired connection to my desktop is 60mgbs. My ipad gets 10 in another room. My transformer gets 1.9 with full bars 1 ft from my router.

The exact model is T200TA-C1-BL if that helps
Is it a router permissions issue perhaps?

I just bought a t100, and on my home connection the wifi kept dropping out every few minutes, necessitating a right-click, "troubleshoot problems" for it to function again. I searched online and found a few tips on the Asus Transformer forums, having to make a few changes to the wifi adapter (changing the driver to Microsoft instead of Broadcom, and a couple of settings) and it works much better now.

Third post: http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100-faqs-guides-tips/41759-wifi-tips-tricks-problems.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I asked this a while ago, but how is the T200 as a laptop? I'm essentially looking for a new laptop but wanting something lighter and more portable has me going in the direction of a tablet & keyboard, I was looking at the T100 for a bit but then the T200 came along. As I said I'd be using it like a laptop at least 90% of the time, for Office, web browsing, music/video streaming and maybe some gaming with older (decade+) titles but that last one isn't a deal-breaker.

E: And does anyone know which stores have them in stock? I want to get my hands on one before buying it, I know it's a Best Buy "exclusive" but the one I went to today told me that no stores in a 30-mile radius have one. They had a T100 on display at least, how does that compare to the T200 aside from being 10" vs 11.6" for the screen?
The T200 has a much better, much more solid feel to it than the T100. I had a T100, and traded it in for a T200 under warranty (line on the screen). Not the best €70 I ever spent, but pretty close... it actually spends most of its time as a laptop. The keyboard and touchpad are infinitely better than the T100's (same as a normal laptop rather than feeling like a plasticky knockoff), and there's the extra USB port on the right, the ethernet port and the 2.5" SATA slot. The only downfall I can think of is the ethernet port being 100mbit rather than 1gbit as the machine can clearly handle it, so when moving files around I use a gbit USB3 dongle. But that's it... also no problems with the wifi here.

• Locked thread