Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

Send it back, they'll replace it. I've broken a Wave jaw, but that was being really dumb and twisting with it. No complaints from LM, I got a shiny new one back.

I will when I remember to. Judging by the fact that it has been six months and I haven't remembered yet, things aren't looking good :v:

My last one went about like you said... after I forgot to send it in for months too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
UK

A couple of things on Amazon's 'lightning sales' that might be of interest to Brit Bodgers: Bosche drill, power washer, rangefinder

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

The SOG Power Assist models are incredible (this is the model I have). I thrashed the hell out of and it never got loose or lost an edge... sadly, one drunken night out camping I lost it somewhere while trying to scale a sandstone hillside. I immediately bought another one, and it's lasted a good three years now with (again) no loss in performance. I use it constantly at work, I bring it out to work on the car when I get home, it goes with me when I'm on vacation, it's there on every camping/hiking trip and a million other things. I hammer nails with it, pry things, use it as a socket wrench, used it to break things. I used it once to disassemble half the dash on my buddy's 1983 FJ60 Land Cruiser, at 1AM in a methtown gas station - the CD deck fell back inside the dash and he refused to move until he had music.

I fully intent on going back to that sandstone hillside with a metal detector one day and finding my old one, because I am certain it handled the harsh desert sun just fine. I had someone sew a little nylon belt loop lengthwise over the case belt clip, so I won't lose it again.

I had the OG version of that from about '98 to a couple years ago and it remains the best multitool I've ever seen. gently caress Leatherman, the warranty may be fantastic but that's because they break a lot. :colbert:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Is that one like the Leatherman (or maybe it was Gerber?) EOD multitool that had a bunch of tools that are only useful if you're literally blowing something up or defusing a bomb (blasting cap crimper, brass saw, detcord cutter, etc)?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geoj posted:

Is that one like the Leatherman (or maybe it was Gerber?) EOD multitool that had a bunch of tools that are only useful if you're literally blowing something up or defusing a bomb (blasting cap crimper, brass saw, detcord cutter, etc)?

That's the Leatherman MUT.

I like the Crunch myself even if it's limited in tools

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

SOG has a couple multitools for that too.

That said, I picked up a SOG multitool off Amazon today because they are having a 15% off sale if you buy direct from amazon.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The SOG's are awesome. My FIL used to re-sell them at his gunshop (quit because there just wasn't enough market to carry knives/tools/etc.), but goddamn are they solid. I beat one of my SOG knives like hell and its still great, and the wifes multitool gets used a ton (she's an underground geologist, plays with rocks and stuff) and its still going strong.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Recommendations on brake line flaring tools? I just used a loaner bar-style to reflare one end of a premade line (screw you Ford, bubble flare on one end and SAE double flare on the other?) and it was pretty terrible. Not that I do them often, but I don't want to repeat the experience using the bar-style again. Is there a particular inline set that's better than another? Anyone a baller and used one of the fancy hydraulic ones?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PitViper posted:

Recommendations on brake line flaring tools? I just used a loaner bar-style to reflare one end of a premade line (screw you Ford, bubble flare on one end and SAE double flare on the other?) and it was pretty terrible. Not that I do them often, but I don't want to repeat the experience using the bar-style again. Is there a particular inline set that's better than another? Anyone a baller and used one of the fancy hydraulic ones?

If it's 3/16" line, buy this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24364

If it's a different size, look for one like that but in your size. Seriously. Just go buy it and save yourself the pain.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

Skip the hassle altogether and buy Copper-Nickel tubing, AKA Cunifer. It's available at NAPA, and flares really really easily with any type of tool, bar or inline. The Mastercool Hydraulic flaring tool is awesome, but big $$.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

+1 to inline flare tool and copper tubing.

I was able to easily get rear brakes again having never done lines.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I was on a time crunch yesterday, hence the loaner flare tool and buying whatever line I could get at the local parts place. I only had to cut/flare one end, since they had a length that worked with a correct fitting on one end. I'm probably going to end up ordering a coil of Cunifer 3/16, a pack of fittings, and an inline flare tool to do bubble and double flare SAE. Probably worth keeping on hand for the couple times a year I get asked to replace a rusty line.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If it's 3/16" line, buy this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24364

If it's a different size, look for one like that but in your size. Seriously. Just go buy it and save yourself the pain.

A lot of the listings on Amazon are very confusing, but I can confirm that this one has three sizes, (3/16",1/4", 5/16") in a nice case for not much more money than a single size at Summit after shipping. http://amzn.com/B008OSCUUI

Full disclosure, I've only used the set for remaking my windshield wiper rack, which is made of flared 5/16" steel brake line. I haven't made a fluid joint yet, but the flares I made look way nicer than anything I've ever done with a bar type and I have no doubts about them.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 25, 2014

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Root Bear posted:

2 for $5 at Harbor Freight. In addition to a bright white LED center, they each have their own unique feature as well:

Steel Vitner's ruler sold separately. :v:

Craftsman has these on sale for $19.99.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-cordless-rechargeable-work-light-with-35-led/p-03473904000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I have two of them, and they work great.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

PitViper posted:

I was on a time crunch yesterday, hence the loaner flare tool and buying whatever line I could get at the local parts place. I only had to cut/flare one end, since they had a length that worked with a correct fitting on one end. I'm probably going to end up ordering a coil of Cunifer 3/16, a pack of fittings, and an inline flare tool to do bubble and double flare SAE. Probably worth keeping on hand for the couple times a year I get asked to replace a rusty line.

Warning - people claim you can make a bubble flare by just skipping the last step of a double flare, but they are wrong. You need a specific tool to do bubble flares.

My answer to the problem is the same as yours, buy a premade bubble flare line and reflare the other end double flare with aninline flaring tool. I don't encounter enough bubble flares to justify a tool for them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My brother-in-law was complaining about not having a decent set of tools around the house and my mom was going to drop $150-200 on stuff for him. Instead of getting a premade set, I was thinking of putting something together piecemeal, grabbing some stuff from HF (hammer! sockets?) and the rest from Lowes or Home Depot or Amazon. The one thing I'm not sure about is a set of screwdrivers. These jumped out at me as there isn't a dozen unnecessary pieces, but I don't know how Kobalt's screwdrivers are:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_525833-930-324K8K_4294857616__

It's kind of a starter set, nothing professional, just to do fixit jobs around the house.

Things I was considering:
Screwdrivers
Driver bits and drill bits for his drill
Hammer(s)
Various pliers
Utility knife
Adjustable wrench
Level and tape measure
Clamps
Wood saw
Socket set if there is money left over
Wrenches if there is money left over
Some sort of storage if there is money left over

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Picked up the $170 husky toolbox deal at Home Depot this morning. Not bad at all, haven't started filling it yet but the drawers feel good and they come pre-lined with neoprene stuff. All three keys are different, which is annoying.

The worst part was making it fit in the wagon after having a few other boxes in the back seats.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

All three keys are different, which is annoying.

Look up some videos on re-keying locks. It's really, really easy. Even if you don't have enough plugs/lifters to get every last one you'll still have a lock that is plenty strong enough for a sheetmetal box.

And those things should be easy to get out now before you load it up tools.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 231 days!)

Uthor posted:

It's kind of a starter set, nothing professional, just to do fixit jobs around the house.

If you want to get him on the road to basic maintenance, you can't get much more for this $36 set from Harbor Freight. The tools aren't the best, but Harbor Freight offers a lifetime warranty on hand tools, so he can exchange it three or four times until he decides he needs a good set.

I've got this exact set and always throw it in the back of the vehicle when I'm going junking, auctioning, or anything else where I might need it. Its self contained, and cheap enough that it doesn't get stolen when sitting in the back of the truck.

Along with that set I linked, I'd suggest one of their $11 socket sets, and their ratcheting wrench sets are actually pretty nice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Picked up the $170 husky toolbox deal at Home Depot this morning. Not bad at all, haven't started filling it yet but the drawers feel good and they come pre-lined with neoprene stuff. All three keys are different, which is annoying.

The worst part was making it fit in the wagon after having a few other boxes in the back seats.

I bought a husky toolbox for $200 a while back, and loved it. It was solid, drawer slides were smooth with weight in it, it was awesome. The top box fell over with 200+lbs of tools in it, and it's fine.

I went back to get another one, same box, same UPC, same product number, and it was a completely different toolbox, just a flimsy piece of poo poo. It's like they shop out production to whatever factory in china for each run, sometimes it comes back good, sometimes hell.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Viggen posted:

If you want to get him on the road to basic maintenance, you can't get much more for this $36 set from Harbor Freight. The tools aren't the best, but Harbor Freight offers a lifetime warranty on hand tools, so he can exchange it three or four times until he decides he needs a good set.

Yeah, I was considering something like that, but figure it'd be nice to go a step beyond HF if it's for a gift. I know screwdrivers were a priority as the ones he has now have hosed up tips. Same with the driver bits for his drill.

And $200 is a bit high. I figured I can put something nice together for around $100 with a box that can easily be expanded.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Motronic posted:

Look up some videos on re-keying locks. It's really, really easy. Even if you don't have enough plugs/lifters to get every last one you'll still have a lock that is plenty strong enough for a sheetmetal box.

And those things should be easy to get out now before you load it up tools.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Powershift posted:

I bought a husky toolbox for $200 a while back, and loved it. It was solid, drawer slides were smooth with weight in it, it was awesome. The top box fell over with 200+lbs of tools in it, and it's fine.

I went back to get another one, same box, same UPC, same product number, and it was a completely different toolbox, just a flimsy piece of poo poo. It's like they shop out production to whatever factory in china for each run, sometimes it comes back good, sometimes hell.

Yeah they had some of these out on the floor earlier in the week and I liked what I felt when I played with them. I was going to get a harbor freight box but this was cheaper and fits in my designated toolbox area better than the larger box would have.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 231 days!)

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I was considering something like that, but figure it'd be nice to go a step beyond HF if it's for a gift. I know screwdrivers were a priority as the ones he has now have hosed up tips. Same with the driver bits for his drill.

Then Kobalt is fine. I don't have a lot of experience with their screwdrivers, but I use their sockets rather often. I don't suggest Craftsman anymore since what is left of Sears tends to try to replace warrantied tools with generic Stanley versions. (That said, I love my ancient set of Craftsman screwdrivers and sockets.) There is nothing wrong with the bargain-basement HF socket set, though. You can usually get it for $3-$4 with a coupon, and when you bust it by using it as an impact ratchet, just take it in for a new one. I keep one of those in everything. :v:

I also have a since-discontinued HF metric 1/2" set with ratchet and breaker bar. It is actually a drat good set, and I break it out every time I need to do anything on a SAAB beyond DI and plugs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Uthor posted:

My brother-in-law was complaining about not having a decent set of tools around the house and my mom was going to drop $150-200 on stuff for him. Instead of getting a premade set, I was thinking of putting something together piecemeal, grabbing some stuff from HF (hammer! sockets?) and the rest from Lowes or Home Depot or Amazon. The one thing I'm not sure about is a set of screwdrivers. These jumped out at me as there isn't a dozen unnecessary pieces, but I don't know how Kobalt's screwdrivers are:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_525833-930-324K8K_4294857616__

Things I was considering:
Screwdrivers
Driver bits and drill bits for his drill
Hammer(s)
Various pliers
Utility knife
Adjustable wrench
Level and tape measure
Clamps
Wood saw
Socket set if there is money left over
Wrenches if there is money left over
Some sort of storage if there is money left over

I've slowly come to the realization that you really only need 2 or 3 screwdrivers. A nice medium size Phillips & flat head driver, and then a giant gently caress off long flat head for prying and random stuff. Add to that a bit driver and set of security bits, different size Phillips, etc. and a nice set of precision screw drivers and you are set.

For storage of around the house tools I love this 12" tote from HF. It's cheap and holds a good amount of tools with easy access. Great to keep in a closet and pull out when you need it.

I would add a good set of vice grips to your list too. They can work as general pliers but also put down a lot of force when necessary too.

Would also replace the wood saw with a hack saw. If you only have one saw that's the one to have IMHO.

For around the home you might skip the socket set and wrenches. If he's going to do car maintenance he'll want to get a nice big dedicated set of metric, standard, deep sockets, etc. A small set just isn't worth it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Would also replace the wood saw with a hack saw. If you only have one saw that's the one to have IMHO.

Can get both!

Thanks for the input. Was probably also going to get a pipe wrench. Sockets are a maybe, he has a small set kinda all mixed up and I find a few common sizes can be useful, especially when putting together "assembly required" things like patio furniture. A set from HF is like :10bux:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mod sassinator posted:

I've slowly come to the realization that you really only need 2 or 3 screwdrivers. A nice medium size Phillips & flat head driver, and then a giant gently caress off long flat head for prying and random stuff. Add to that a bit driver and set of security bits, different size Phillips, etc. and a nice set of precision screw drivers and you are set.

It's been a long time since I've used anything other than my multi-screwdriver, since it has all of the most commonly used bits (phillips, pozidriv, flat, torx). Sometimes I have to break out the hex keys, but not very often. I have another bit driver and bit set for the more obscure bits, but I hardly ever use it.

The multi-screwdriver is one of these: http://www.megapro.net/ (the original 15-in-1, but with a metric/Euro bit loadout), and both my dad and I absolutely swear by them. They're so drat handy, and very high quality.

I have a cheap large flat head screwdriver for prying duties too, of course. Everyone should have cheap expendable tools for rough stuff.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Thoughts on this compressor?
http://yuma.craigslist.org/tls/4781192897.html
Seems ok for 100 bux pending a in person looksee.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seemed the most appropriate for what I could find. I need some very strong 1/4" socket headed cap screws for securing a speaker. It was previously held by 8 normal black oxide ones (these), and a few of them ended up snapping clean in two. Is there some kind of material or grade I should be looking for with better tensile strength? I saw some stainless ones, but wasn't sure if that's better or worse than what already failed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Lowclock posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seemed the most appropriate for what I could find. I need some very strong 1/4" socket headed cap screws for securing a speaker. It was previously held by 8 normal black oxide ones (these), and a few of them ended up snapping clean in two. Is there some kind of material or grade I should be looking for with better tensile strength? I saw some stainless ones, but wasn't sure if that's better or worse than what already failed.

If grade 8 socket cap screws are breaking, then nothing else the same size is gonna be stronger. Is there corrosion or done other reason they are snapping off? Pictures or more info would be helpful.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Powershift posted:

This is literally how every private label "manufacturer" works.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sharkytm posted:

If grade 8 socket cap screws are breaking, then nothing else the same size is gonna be stronger. Is there corrosion or done other reason they are snapping off? Pictures or more info would be helpful.
There were 8 of them, I don't know what grade they actually are. I can't really seem to find any kind of strength specification or grading for the ones I had, or any other ones for that matter. There was no corrosion (hot and dry part of Arizona), and the speaker fits so tightly that they couldn't really be seeing anything except tension. There wasn't any kind of visible deformation, marks, or corrosion on them, just a clean even break through them just above where they no longer contact the blind t nuts they were screwed in to. Like if you held the pieces back together they fit together perfectly and looked basically new. I just tried looking for them, and I don't think I have them anymore.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Lowclock posted:

There were 8 of them, I don't know what grade they actually are. I can't really seem to find any kind of strength specification or grading for the ones I had, or any other ones for that matter. There was no corrosion (hot and dry part of Arizona), and the speaker fits so tightly that they couldn't really be seeing anything except tension. There wasn't any kind of visible deformation, marks, or corrosion on them, just a clean even break through them just above where they no longer contact the blind t nuts they were screwed in to. Like if you held the pieces back together they fit together perfectly and looked basically new. I just tried looking for them, and I don't think I have them anymore.

I'll bet it was the vibration from the speaker.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sharkytm posted:

I'll bet it was the vibration from the speaker.
Haha, yeah obviously I would agree. Any suggestions on finding something better? Would the stainless ones be better or worse?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Try the same hardware but with rubber washers?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Any steel is pretty good with fatigue. If you're really worried get a conical washer or wave washer to take up some of the vibration. Really if you use any graded bolt I would think it would be enough. Also don't really crank down on them. Snug should be enough if you're just holding speakers in.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If I remember, eight grade 5 1/4-20 bolts should be able to hold something over eight tons of pure axial load, so I think you either got some horseshit fasteners or something funky is going on. Socket head cap screws are typically stronger than grade 8 for a given size due to extra hardening I think, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Repeat with grade 8 capheads and spring washers, report back.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Lowclock posted:

Haha, yeah obviously I would agree. Any suggestions on finding something better? Would the stainless ones be better or worse?

Stainless is softer than steel, so no. If corrosion was an issue, I'd suggest any number of anti-seize/anti-gall lubricants, but that's not the case. Is this a subwoofer, by any chance? If so, then a neoprene gasket and spring or wave lock washers would probably help.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Northen Tools had a flux core welder for sale for 99 dollars yesterday. It went up to 129 today but it was a good price so I went out and got it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200403263_200403263

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
drat, $99 seems like a crazy deal. It's nearly $200 now.