Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Both of the tracks I submitted are made from like 90% VST's so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I think he's using the term computer music in the academic sense. Max Matthews and so on. Algorithmic composition, robots which think before they fart.

renderful fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

renderful posted:

I think he's using the term computer music in the academic sense. Max Matthews and so on. Algorithmic composition, robots which think before they fart.

Exactly. I'm very into fart probability.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

a_big_dog posted:

Exactly. I'm very into fart probability.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Nebulae is definitely on my list of immediate modular buys. Phonogene is also on there, I've been wrestling with maybe wanting the Tyme Sefari instead but I think the Phonogene is more immediate in its functionality. I wonder if there is a good shootout between the Nebulae and Phonogene somewhere because I can only justify putting one of these fine modules in my rig.

Also SineRider how do you like the Korgasmatron filter? I'm starting to look into adding one or two filters to my setup.

I can kind of give you my quick thoughts on Nebuale vs. Phonogene. I don't own the Phonogene but I've used it quite a bit and really like it. They both have similar functionality to them with the whole granular capabilities. What I really like about the Phonogene is being able to record it whatever I like. On the Nebulae everything has to be loaded in through USB so that can be a pain to have to load up the computer if there is a new sample you want to load into the module. The Nebulae has the plus of being able to load custom csound programs into it. So you can essentially completely change how the module works if you know a bit of CSound or PD.

The Korgasmatron is pretty nice. Definitely has the ms20 filter sound to it. It's convenient to have the dual filters too with crossfade functionality. Like you can get cool sounding feedback sounds by patching the filters together. When I was putting my modular together a few weeks ago I was debating whether to go with the Tiptop Z2040 filter and the Corgasmatron. The Corgasmatron seemed like a better choice for my small system.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Resonant high pass into resonant low pass is the filter setup of the gods. I almost never patch straight through a LPF anymore

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
http://youtu.be/8M_KvL4cbF4

Look what I finished today!
Love it already, sounds amazing. Using the maschine to sequence it and it's working pretty well for now.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

ozmunkeh posted:

http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=phenol ooh shiny. Some quality robot farts there. Don't like the banana jacks though.

sliderule posted:

I saw the Kilpatrick dude at a swap meet 2 weeks ago and he didn't say poo poo about that. Can't wait to see the pricetag and decide I don't need it THAT much.

Supposedly he's shooting for $849 which seems way cheap.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So Cyber Monday sales for me will be Waldorf Nave that's 1/2 off and maybe picking up my A4 since everything Elektron is 15% off until the 14'th.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
More of a day-after-Cyber-Monday deal but tomorrow is when the last sets of Ambikas go up for sale on the Mutable Instrument site...

EDIT: And I think they're announcing exactly what their latest Eurorack modules are.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Submission deadline is today! We have 14 tracks total! This is awesome!

I've finished mastering and sorting the tracks. I'll get some album art and liner notes completed this evening, if anyone would like to add something to the liner notes please post it here or send me a PM (you could be like "I want to thank my mom and dad" or "Gear used: Serge modular, hand drum, kazoos" or just some goony injoke or whatever you want).

We also still need to pick a charity! There are a few music program charities in my local area but I figured this is an INTERNATIONAL effort we've put together so the charity we donate to should reflect that. So far I'm leaning towards donating the proceeds to Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) but I'm all ears for other suggestions.

Once I get everything primed and ready to post on Bandcamp I plan to do a little promotion of the album on SA, Reddit, Muffs, Matrixsynth, and a few other places around the web. If anyone has other sites that might be good to advertise the record on please post or PM me!

If anyone can think of something I may have missed post it up here. Thanks!

This is what the album looks like in iTunes

EDIT: Oh yeah! In your liner notes feel free to include links to your Soundcloud pages, website, whatever. Having as much info as possible is a good thing. Oh and also maybe something about creative rights if you care enough :)

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 2, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Liner notes for "Her Cold Embrace" posted:

Gear used: Waldorf Blofeld, Waldorf Microwave, Roland JD-990
soundcloud.com/kyhmusic-1

EDIT:

As for charities, I agree with Doctors Without Borders.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 2, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Submission deadline is today! We have 14 tracks total! This is awesome!

I've finished mastering and sorting the tracks. I'll get some album art and liner notes completed this evening, if anyone would like to add something to the liner notes please post it here or send me a PM (you could be like "I want to thank my mom and dad" or "Gear used: Serge modular, hand drum, kazoos" or just some goony injoke or whatever you want).

We also still need to pick a charity! There are a few music program charities in my local area but I figured this is an INTERNATIONAL effort we've put together so the charity we donate to should reflect that. So far I'm leaning towards donating the proceeds to Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) but I'm all ears for other suggestions.

Once I get everything primed and ready to post on Bandcamp I plan to do a little promotion of the album on SA, Reddit, Muffs, Matrixsynth, and a few other places around the web. If anyone has other sites that might be good to advertise the record on please post or PM me!

If anyone can think of something I may have missed post it up here. Thanks!

This is what the album looks like in iTunes

This owns and is gonna be great.

Doctors Without Borders is a great cause. I tried to find something international that has to do with children, but couldn't find anything that was good enough and not shady. DWB is great because it's a legit organization that does great things.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
My vote is either for Doctors Without Borders or The Human Fund... and the former is probably better.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

+1 on Doctors Without Borders.

PS could somebody tell Dotcom Jillionaire that I agree with Doctors Without Borders too? I think he must have me on ignore. :)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Oh also how much should we charge for the whole album? Keeping the price down would encourage more people to buy a copy, I'll leave the option open too for people to pay the amount they want ($$ > the list price of course) but I'm thinking maybe $8.00? I've never bought anything through Bandcamp before so I don't know what such an album would go for normally.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Liner notes wise I just want a link to my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/tttfff0
(sparse yeah, but hey).

Re: pricing, I think pay what you want is the way to go. I think Bandcamp lets you put a suggestion too, so it could be "$8, or whatever you want".

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

+1 more vote for MSF

Liner notes pls:

https://scatterfold.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold
https://twitter.com/Scatterfold

Thanks for doing all this Dotcom :ocelot:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MSF is cool. Don't need no stinking liner notes :clint: Otherwise just do what you're doing, you've done well so far.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Liner notes for my track:
"Created with Absynth and controlled by Orphion"
https://soundcloud.com/sinerider
https://sinerider.bandcamp.com/

Look forward to hearing the entire album! Also how did my track become 8 minutes long?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

SineRider posted:

Liner notes for my track:
"Created with Absynth and controlled by Orphion"
https://soundcloud.com/sinerider
https://sinerider.bandcamp.com/

Look forward to hearing the entire album! Also how did my track become 8 minutes long?

It's a secret ;)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

He mastered it THAT well.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

He added just a gentle touch of reverb to it in mastering, obviously.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Question: Should Dotcom Jillionaire name and shame the contributors by SA screen name in the SA thread or are you too scared to see your music name attached to your shameful E/N and BYOB posting history

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Question: Should Dotcom Jillionaire name and shame the contributors by SA screen name in the SA thread or are you too scared to see your music name attached to your shameful E/N and BYOB posting history

Ha nice try, I have no E/N and BYOB posting history. t:v:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Haw. :)

The ympektid track is mine. Happy to be named. :getin:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Please don't do the secret track tacked on the last track with a minute of silence in between them. I loving hate that and it's even more moronic in mp3 format. If that's what this is.

I'd rather poop out another track for a bonus ep for those who donate over double the minimum amount or something like that.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

My liner notes: "https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes"

And actually, if my artist name could read "ten fingers ten toes" rather than toadee that would be rad. No big deal either way.

I vote as well for Doctors Without Borders

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I'm thinking about snagging one of the remaining anushri kits, anybody have experience with them? I like the architecture of it, and the demo sounds are great. Dotcom Jillionaire, you had one right? I'm also interested in patching it up with other euro stuff, so the i/o jacks on the front (and the euro enclosure for it) are interesting. Any negatives to it?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yeah the Anushri was the first thing I built from a kit. It took quite a while since there are so many resistors and other components (analog :worship:). It was a pretty fun build though. The sound on the Anushri is great, not quite a replica of the SH-101 but it does a great job as a mono bass machine, and the patch points give it an added bonus. You could use it as a poor man's MIDI to CV converter as well as a modulation source for a few things on your eurorack. Now that I've been patching it to my euro I wish it had a few more in/outs but it's great for being an open source hardware DIY synthesizer.

My one gripe with the Anushri is how some of the control scheme works, I'm always going online to look up how the bottom 2 rows of knobs assign depending on which mode you're in (synth, drums, etc) but that's not a dealbreaker necessarily. I've been considering maybe getting the eurorack mounting panel for it but I don't have much room in my case and it does just fine sitting in the plexiglass enclosure. You can find my Anushri demo sounds here if you're interested:

https://soundcloud.com/portervance/anushri-test-1
https://soundcloud.com/portervance/anushri-test-2

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 2, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Linear notes form me.

quote:

746f206d79206461642c207769736820796f7520776572652068657265

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
... the feels.

Also: if both of those typos were intentional, pretty deep.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

sliderule posted:

... the feels.

Also: if both of those typos were intentional, pretty deep.
I don't see any typos.

To be honest, at first I thought he was soliciting for Bitcoins or something.

EDITvvvvv Oh, I see.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 2, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't see any typos.

To be honest, at first I thought he was soliciting for Bitcoins or something.

He wasn't talking about the string. :ssh:

e: He was actually a recording engineer in the 70's at Capitol Records and taught me a poo poo load about what makes a good recording. Hell, the day I got my first synth he went out and gave me these two albums.

He was also a huge computer / space nerd which is why I named my stuff after a place that has 8 Nobel Prizes and 2 Turing Awards.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Hmm looks like I'll have to remaster 2 tracks since I listened to them in the car speakers and they came out rather muddy. Could be worse though. Everything else sounds pretty tight!

Also should I buy Monomachine?? I might be trading someone my A4 for one (plus some cash). The Monomachine was maybe my 2nd piece of hardware I ever bought but back then I didn't know enough or was used to Elektron's workflow enough to get any results out of the box. It has an odd and unique character to it, I'm tempted.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Also should I buy Monomachine?? I might be trading someone my A4 for one (plus some cash).

I'm surprised that the monomachine has a higher 'value' than the A4. A4 seems more interesting (cv control for euro for example) and if I wanted the midi sequencer I'd be looking at the Octatrack instead.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I think I'm in the minority, wanting to give up an A4 for a Monomachine. The A4 is cool but I've come to the conclusions I don't love the sound and I have enough analog-y stuff in my rig already. It is a great machine though, very useful toolbox of sounds and features.

The Monomachine was neat too, it has a bunch of different ways to make sound packed inside, 6 tracks for recording on as well. Many don't like the sound though, saying it's very thin and digital and cold (which is the case completely, this is why I sold mine off years ago). I'm sort of jonesing to play with one again though.

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
Anushri ordered! The generative drum synth looks fun, and it'll look nice next to the Shruthi. Now I just need to sell my EA-1 and Monotribe to justify buying it. Also, the last Ambika kits have just gotten listed in the past hour or so.

waneb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 2, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know, if you dislike the sound of an A4 alreadyI think it will get only worse with the Monomachine.
Are you just feeling nostalgic, or is there something about the machine you'd like to use it again?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I think I'm in the minority, wanting to give up an A4 for a Monomachine. The A4 is cool but I've come to the conclusions I don't love the sound and I have enough analog-y stuff in my rig already. It is a great machine though, very useful toolbox of sounds and features.

The Monomachine was neat too, it has a bunch of different ways to make sound packed inside, 6 tracks for recording on as well. Many don't like the sound though, saying it's very thin and digital and cold (which is the case completely, this is why I sold mine off years ago). I'm sort of jonesing to play with one again though.

I remember looking for a while at the monomachine, especially with the SID chip soundset. The Elektron sequencing style still seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, but I'm guessing that's just a matter of getting used to it.

Given the current Elektron sale I'm thinking hard about the A4 though - getting a pair of CV sequencers, route my synth outputs through the effects onboard and it seems cheaper than trying to get the same functionality in Eurorack modules. My only sticking point is it would have been nice to have a clock CV on the A4, and the lack of individual outs means I can't do my other trick of using a single track as a click track to clock the Eurorack either. Could sacrifice left or right channel to get that I guess.

As a quick question, does using the second CV track prevent/impede you using the effects since it uses the FX track to sequence it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

stillvisions posted:

Given the current Elektron sale I'm thinking hard about the A4 though - getting a pair of CV sequencers, route my synth outputs through the effects onboard and it seems cheaper than trying to get the same functionality in Eurorack modules. My only sticking point is it would have been nice to have a clock CV on the A4, and the lack of individual outs means I can't do my other trick of using a single track as a click track to clock the Eurorack either. Could sacrifice left or right channel to get that I guess.

As a quick question, does using the second CV track prevent/impede you using the effects since it uses the FX track to sequence it?

Take a look at the pdf manual on the Elektron site. In appendix C it discusses the CV options and on page 4 it says:

CV (Clock)
CLK (Clock Division) sets the clock division. This setting relates to the BPM of the sequencer

Is that what you're looking for? You might also find page 64 useful as that's where they show (one way) to hook it up to a modular. I don't have my VCA in hand yet so I can't test some configurations but what I've been doing is setting the oscillator voice on one of the tracks to use the input from my modules. Then I'm making use of that track's envelopes/filters and applying effects just as if it were a native voice.