Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah no doubt, but I feel like he's just overstayed his welcome and could do with a change of scenery. also still he makes really awful decisions regularly

shiksa posted:

Why would the Eagles trade Foles?

I mean other than his value being nil because it turns out QB skill isn't important in running Chip's offense.

seems like it'd be mutually beneficial. I feel like Kap could thrive in a Kelly offense, and Harbaugh could go Alex Smith on a guy like Foles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

indigi posted:

yeah no doubt, but I feel like he's just overstayed his welcome and could do with a change of scenery. also still he makes really awful decisions regularly

"We don't need luck; Jay will throw us the ball."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8376786/same-old-jay-cutler

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

seems like it'd be mutually beneficial. I feel like Kap could thrive in a Kelly offense, and Harbaugh could go Alex Smith on a guy like Foles

I know it is not really a serious suggestion, but it is hard to imagine a world in which SF gets rid of Kaepernick but keeps Harbaugh.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

That's sort of the thing. Chip's offense has proven malleable enough that it can work with completely mediocre Quarterbacks, so why take on Kaepernick's massive contract when you can get someone just as effective for a fraction of the cap hit.

It just doesn't make any sense once you factor in how much Kaepernick is being paid. The 49ers are more or less stuck with him unless he improves.

Basically what I'm saying is keep the Sanchize in Philly.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

That's sort of the thing. Chip's offense has proven malleable enough that it can work with completely mediocre Quarterbacks, so why take on Kaepernick's massive contract when you can get someone just as effective for a fraction of the cap hit.

It just doesn't make any sense once you factor in how much Kaepernick is being paid. The 49ers are more or less stuck with him unless he improves.

His deal is only guaranteed for injury after the first year. After that, he can be cut at the beginning of the league year (March) for basically no dead money. We're not stuck with him, if we for some reason decide that playing the "sure, staking our franchise on Geno Smith" game is preferable to having a usually pretty good QB who sometimes is inexplicably bad.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

His deal is only guaranteed for injury after the first year. After that, he can be cut at the beginning of the league year (March) for basically no dead money. We're not stuck with him, if we for some reason decide that playing the "sure, staking our franchise on Geno Smith" game is preferable to having a usually pretty good QB who sometimes is inexplicably bad.

The deal may look massive in comparison to what Foles makes.He was a fourth round pick and still has another 2 years in his rookie contract.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
It's worth noting, even though we're talking about silly hypotheticals at the moment, that there were rumblings about Kelly and the FO being down on Foles and up on Sanchez before the season even started. They just weren't about to pull the trigger on benching Foles after last season's success.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

seiferguy posted:

Sherman does indeed own for his corner back skills and professional trolling, yes. Probably my favorite Seattle pro player outside of Felix Hernandez.

Plus he looks like Busta Rhymes, which is cool. More people should look like Busta Rhymes.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

It's worth noting, even though we're talking about silly hypotheticals at the moment, that there were rumblings about Kelly and the FO being down on Foles and up on Sanchez before the season even started. They just weren't about to pull the trigger on benching Foles after last season's success.

Sanchez is maddening because of his flashes of brilliance and the fact that he's so likable, and then randomly decides to do the dumbest thing ever like 3 times a game.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
It's been laughingly brought up before, but I'll continue the humor:

Foles for RGIII straight up

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Congratulations, this thread marks the 5,000th discussion of the details of Kaepernick's contract.

Everyone take a shot of Hemlock to celebrate.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Alex Smith for Cutler straight up. The Chiefs' defense could withstand the turnovers, and Reid could get the most out of Cutler (probably not much more than he's ever shown). Plus if they can play with a lead for once, that defense will only look better.

Smith could dink n dunk all day, letting the big Chicago receivers go for YAC. With far less turnovers and by controlling time of possession, Chicago could grind out the kind of 16-9 victories its fanbase so dearly loves.

Hell, Cutler & Marshall for Alex Smith and a 2nd round pick....let's do this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
It's cute people still think there is someone on this earth who "can get the most out of Cutler" :allears:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Sanchez is maddening because of his flashes of brilliance and the fact that he's so likable, and then randomly decides to do the dumbest thing ever like 3 times a game.

Yeah, once every half or so he'll do some tremendously stupid poo poo that makes you remember this dude was, at one point, no longer good enough to start on the New York Jets — but the offense he's in can handle mistakes like that as long as they aren't too frequent, so for now it's kosher.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

ChickenMedium posted:

Plus he looks like Busta Rhymes, which is cool. More people should look like Busta Rhymes.

I uh... Are those the only two black people you've ever seen?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I uh... Are those the only two black people you've ever seen?

In his defense, Sherm does kinda resemble a young Busta Bus. Lately though, Busta looks like he could play for the OLine for any nfl franchise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shath Hole posted:

In his defense, Sherm does kinda resemble a young Busta Bus. Lately though, Busta looks like he could play for the OLine for any nfl franchise.

Eh not really.

edit: To the first part, Busta has gotten really fat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chip Kelly with a mobile QB would be loving Fascinating.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Sanchez ran all over us :(

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I thought this was a cool picture from the SF/SEA game:

This is the play call that resulted in the game's only touchdown. Things to note: RB who scores the touchdown is all alone. Tony Moeaki is covered by no less than four 49ers (FYI: He is sloooooooooooooow.) Apparently on the far offensive right Marshawn Lynch is open too. Credit where credit is due, our piss poo poo idiot OC drew up a pretty nice play here. I wont be a fan until he publicly destroys all iterations of his playbook's bubble screens and jet sweeps.

John Morgan @ Field Gulls posted:

Seattle broke in a two-back pistol, with Robert Turbin to Wilson's left and Marshawn Lynch behind Wilson. Almost immediately, Lynch motioned wide right. This confused the livin' hell out of San Francisco.

Lynch is wide open. Besting that, Turbin is totally unaccounted for. Tony Moaeki, he hosts a quartet of defenders: two inside linebackers on bass and drum; one safety on the soprano sax; Antoine Bethea manning the vibes.

The 49ers hopefully analyzed the heck out of this. What seemed to happen, simply put, is that Seattle broke with an unorthodox look, ramped up the pressure by motioning Lynch wide, and none of the 49ers remaining defenders could shift coverage to account for the change.

Darrell Bevell, today you are a king.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
and i think broadly speaking they look similar, thanks

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Schwack posted:

This is the play call that resulted in the game's only touchdown. Things to note: RB who scores the touchdown is all alone. Tony Moeaki is covered by no less than four 49ers (FYI: He is sloooooooooooooow.) Apparently on the far offensive right Marshawn Lynch is open too. Credit where credit is due, our piss poo poo idiot OC drew up a pretty nice play here. I wont be a fan until he publicly destroys all iterations of his playbook's bubble screens and jet sweeps.

Your garbage OC is better than our garbage OC :colbert:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Schwack posted:

Hey look our O-line is protecting RW, you don't see that every day.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I did say it was gonna be garbage OC against garbage OC. Yours was just better than ours. :v: I'm just hoping this will make Roman not come back next year because I'm really getting sick of this poo poo.

every
Apr 24, 2008

georgia what are you doing to me

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

Give him Johnny Manziel and just say gently caress it for a year

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Democratic Pirate posted:

Give him Johnny Manziel and just say gently caress it for a year

Colt McCoy could be available.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

football fuckerman posted:

and i think broadly speaking they look similar, thanks

Yeah I see that, I'm too used to fat Buster Rhymes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shath Hole posted:

It's cute people still think there is someone on this earth who "can get the most out of Cutler" :allears:

Cutler is by no means a good quarterback but he might be ok if he wasn't on the same team with the worst defense in the history of organized football.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cutler is by no means a good quarterback but he might be ok if he wasn't on the same team with the worst defense in the history of organized football.

Cutler has been the same player his entire career, even when he was on a team with a good defense. He will be that what if player forever, apparently. It was what if he had weapons, then what if he had a line, then what if he was in the same system for more than a year and now its what if his defense was better. I didnt realize the defense was making him throw bad interceptions, fumble away bad balls and make generally piss poor decisions while using bad mechanics.

He is who he is and it's who he has been all along.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't think he'll ever be THAT much better than he is right now but tbf he still doesn't have a NFL quality O-line

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

indigi posted:

I don't think he'll ever be THAT much better than he is right now but tbf he still doesn't have a NFL quality O-line

It's not the Cowboys, but their line is actually pretty serviceable right now. Bushrod has been solid, Long has been great, Garza is old but reliable and I think Ola has been holding is own. Mills was/is the only one that was glaringly bad.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Shath Hole posted:

Cutler has been the same player his entire career, even when he was on a team with a good defense. He will be that what if player forever, apparently. It was what if he had weapons, then what if he had a line, then what if he was in the same system for more than a year and now its what if his defense was better. I didnt realize the defense was making him throw bad interceptions, fumble away bad balls and make generally piss poor decisions while using bad mechanics.

So much this. The year before the Bear's had one of the highest scoring offenses but it didn't matter. He was surrounded with awesome talent but was still prone to making awful decisions. He has way too much confidence in his arm and will try to chuck one up for his receivers to make a play. Other QBs have managed to not look so lovely when behind bad lines, even if they still struggled a bit.

Watching him play when a game is starting to slide is like watching someone struggle in quicksand. He tries to go for the home run to quickly catch up and digs himself into a deeper hole. He's not that good. His OL isn't the best but these past 2 seasons it wasn't near as bad as other OL units he's had in his career, and he's still look like the same panicky QB.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shath Hole posted:

Correct, people make excuses for him more than any player I have ever seen

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shath Hole posted:

It's not the Cowboys, but their line is actually pretty serviceable right now. Bushrod has been solid, Long has been great, Garza is old but reliable and I think Ola has been holding is own. Mills was/is the only one that was glaringly bad.

Cowboys line isn't that good

Neither is Cutler

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Cutler will play until he's like 44 and not give a gently caress the entire time playing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jay Cutler is not a good quarterback, but the Chicago Bears would be a terrible team if they had basically any quarterback on earth except magical superman Aaron Rodgers who is literally the only player you need to make an unstoppable football team.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Correct, people make excuses for him more than any player I have ever seen

What about kaepernick?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DOOP posted:

Cowboys line isn't that good

Wake up. It's the best or one of the best of the decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU